Korrine came home yesterday but when the home health nurse dropped by this morning to check on her she was worried about dehydration. After talking to Korrine's Doctors, Mom & Dad took her back to the emergency room so she could be hydrated. After a few hours and lot of IV nutrients, she was sent back home with a portable IV and will be re-admitted tomorrow morning. Right now, our biggest concern is that Korrine has lost 25 lbs and her nausea is not subsiding. Please pray that she will be nourished and that she will begin to regain strength!
Korrine is very sick but being home as much as possible will be good for her and her family, so lets pray that she is stable enough to return home soon. She endured the first round of chemo and now needs to rest and regain as much strength as possible for her next round. The plan is still for Korrine to have 12 treatments - five days of 24 hour chemo every 3 weeks. She will be admitted to the hospital for at least one week for each round. Today, Dana told me that she was so proud of Korrine because despite all that has happened to her in the last 3 weeks, she hasn't stopped smiling and hasn't complained once. Korrine is LivingSTRONG!
The outpouring of love and offers to help are overwhelming! Meals are scheduled all the way through August, a Poker Fundraiser is being organized for late February and, and people are coordinating housecleaning, laundry, grocery shopping and yard care. Thank you for praying, loving and supporting the Croghan Family!
At this point, we are unsure how long Korrine will need to stay in the hospital. But, we do know that she absolutely loves all of you and is reading every email and comment that you leave. Korrine cannot have flowers for health reasons, but a trust is being established for donations in lieu of flowers. We should have information on the Trust soon.
Sorry, no calls or visits yet. Matt, Dana, Korrine and Sean need as much rest as possible. We will do our best to update keep this blog as up to date as possible so that it is a one stop shop for all things Korrine related. Please do not call or stop by their home unless your visit is scheduled. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.
We Love You,
The Croghan Family
"Let no one ever come to you without leaving better and happier. Be the living expression of God's kindness; kindness in your face, kindness in your eyes, kindness in your smile, kindness in your warm greeting."
Mother Teresa
Mother Teresa
Smile
Cancer stripped her of everything including her life but it could not steal away God's LOVE, PEACE and the JOY that radiated through her. Korrine never stopped SMILING!
Korrine Lannie Croghan
Korrine Croghan was a vivacious 14-year-old girl who lived all of her life in Livermore, CA. She had a love for animals, sports, and most of all, family. Korrine was a straight “A” student while attending Mendenhall Middle School and was working hard in her first trimester at Granada High. She was a great friend to many and was everything that a brother, mother and father could ask for in a daughter. Korrine was the type of girl who would greet you with a wide smile and look into your eyes and truly would want to know how you were doing
Korrine & Cancer
On December 20th, 2007, Korrine was diagnosed with Choriocarcinoma with a germ cell element. Choriocarcinoma is a very rare type of cancer in teenage girls and inflicts less than 200 nationwide each year. Although the cancer started in her left ovary, the cancer had spread to her right ovary, lungs and liver. After the removal of a cantaloupe sized tumor in her left ovary on December 21st of 2007, Korrine, endured 10 months of intense chemotherapy designed for adult men.
During the course of her treatment, Korrine suffered many complications. In early April of 2007, her liver began to bleed. After staying at Kaiser Oakland for almost two weeks, Korrine was transfered to UCSF and spent a month in the intensive care unit. The doctors at UCSF Medical Center were finally able to stop her bleeding liver, but, not before it filled her abdomen with 5 liters of blood that had to be drained via a tube inserted into her stomach. On top of that, both of Korrines’ lungs collapsed while undergoing a CT scan that almost took her life. Because of that, 2 liters of fluid needed to be drained off of her lungs with the use of another drainage tube. Throughout her treatment Korrine needed numerous blood and platelet transfusions. She had nosebleeds that lasted an hour on several occasions. At one point, she had 18 intravenous tubes running through her body filled with anti-bacterials, anti-fungals, nutrition, painkillers and chemotherapy. Korrine miraculously made it through those tough days at UCSF and returned to Kaiser Hospital in Oakland. She was finally stable and was released to go home in late June. Just as things were starting to look up for her, she suffered septic shock in July that forced her to go back into intensive care at Kaiser in Santa Clara for 2 weeks.
Korrine returned home in late July and went through imaging scans to see if the cancer had disappeared. The scans always came back good, but not great. In an effort to kill and stop the remaining cancer cells, she underwent an emergency round of chemotherapy in early September. Unfortunately, it did kill the remaining cancer and her doctors had run out of options.
Korrine spent her last days at home with her family reading books and loving on her cats and dog. She passed away quietly, at home, on October 27th, 2008. Through it all, Korrine had a positive attitude and never gave up or complained. Many consider Korrine a hero.
Team KC
The Team KC website was originally started as a way to encourage, educate, raise awareness, and keep friends and family informed with accurate information on Korrine's treatment and progress. Family, classmates, friends, community members, and complete strangers rallied to support Korrine and her family through her fight against Choriocarcinoma. We were amazed by the amount of support we received, and it is now our desire to give back. In March, 2009, Team KC became an official nonprofit by joining forces with Kaiser Foundation Hospital. All monies raised by Team KC will directly benefit pediatric cancer patients and their families. All monetary contributions are tax deductible.
Our Mission: To help improve the quality of life of pediatric cancer patients and their families. We wish to supply children with fun activities, toys and anything else that will brighten and better their lives. Monies will also be used to help parents pay for bills and defray the costs of gas, food and lodging that go along with caring for a child with cancer.
Stay Positive, LIVESTRONG & Welcome to Team KC!
*This is the official Team KC website and the only website approved by the Croghan family. Please do not use content, images, or video from this site without permission. This is an effort to respect the family's privacy and ensure that all content is accurate and approved. Thank you for your cooperation.
Korrine Croghan was a vivacious 14-year-old girl who lived all of her life in Livermore, CA. She had a love for animals, sports, and most of all, family. Korrine was a straight “A” student while attending Mendenhall Middle School and was working hard in her first trimester at Granada High. She was a great friend to many and was everything that a brother, mother and father could ask for in a daughter. Korrine was the type of girl who would greet you with a wide smile and look into your eyes and truly would want to know how you were doing
Korrine & Cancer
On December 20th, 2007, Korrine was diagnosed with Choriocarcinoma with a germ cell element. Choriocarcinoma is a very rare type of cancer in teenage girls and inflicts less than 200 nationwide each year. Although the cancer started in her left ovary, the cancer had spread to her right ovary, lungs and liver. After the removal of a cantaloupe sized tumor in her left ovary on December 21st of 2007, Korrine, endured 10 months of intense chemotherapy designed for adult men.
During the course of her treatment, Korrine suffered many complications. In early April of 2007, her liver began to bleed. After staying at Kaiser Oakland for almost two weeks, Korrine was transfered to UCSF and spent a month in the intensive care unit. The doctors at UCSF Medical Center were finally able to stop her bleeding liver, but, not before it filled her abdomen with 5 liters of blood that had to be drained via a tube inserted into her stomach. On top of that, both of Korrines’ lungs collapsed while undergoing a CT scan that almost took her life. Because of that, 2 liters of fluid needed to be drained off of her lungs with the use of another drainage tube. Throughout her treatment Korrine needed numerous blood and platelet transfusions. She had nosebleeds that lasted an hour on several occasions. At one point, she had 18 intravenous tubes running through her body filled with anti-bacterials, anti-fungals, nutrition, painkillers and chemotherapy. Korrine miraculously made it through those tough days at UCSF and returned to Kaiser Hospital in Oakland. She was finally stable and was released to go home in late June. Just as things were starting to look up for her, she suffered septic shock in July that forced her to go back into intensive care at Kaiser in Santa Clara for 2 weeks.
Korrine returned home in late July and went through imaging scans to see if the cancer had disappeared. The scans always came back good, but not great. In an effort to kill and stop the remaining cancer cells, she underwent an emergency round of chemotherapy in early September. Unfortunately, it did kill the remaining cancer and her doctors had run out of options.
Korrine spent her last days at home with her family reading books and loving on her cats and dog. She passed away quietly, at home, on October 27th, 2008. Through it all, Korrine had a positive attitude and never gave up or complained. Many consider Korrine a hero.
Team KC
The Team KC website was originally started as a way to encourage, educate, raise awareness, and keep friends and family informed with accurate information on Korrine's treatment and progress. Family, classmates, friends, community members, and complete strangers rallied to support Korrine and her family through her fight against Choriocarcinoma. We were amazed by the amount of support we received, and it is now our desire to give back. In March, 2009, Team KC became an official nonprofit by joining forces with Kaiser Foundation Hospital. All monies raised by Team KC will directly benefit pediatric cancer patients and their families. All monetary contributions are tax deductible.
Our Mission: To help improve the quality of life of pediatric cancer patients and their families. We wish to supply children with fun activities, toys and anything else that will brighten and better their lives. Monies will also be used to help parents pay for bills and defray the costs of gas, food and lodging that go along with caring for a child with cancer.
Stay Positive, LIVESTRONG & Welcome to Team KC!
*This is the official Team KC website and the only website approved by the Croghan family. Please do not use content, images, or video from this site without permission. This is an effort to respect the family's privacy and ensure that all content is accurate and approved. Thank you for your cooperation.
A Note From Korrine (written after her 4th round of Chemo)...
Hello everyone! It's me, Korrine. I just wanted to take a
moment to thank each and every one of you for supporting me through emails,
visits, food, gifts, and most importantly, prayer. Without it, I probably
wouldn't have made it this far. Anyways, on a happier note, I am happy to
announce that I am feeling very good. This last round of chemo hit me pretty
hard, but I think that it is more exiting to end things with a big BANG! I will
try to start writing things for the blog now that my chemo therapy is over, but
until then, just know that I love every single one of you and I am always
thinking about my family, friends, and even the people who I've never met
before. Thanks for joining my battle and for making this experience "The
Experience of a Lifetime." LIVESTRONG! And stay positive.
Korrine Lannie Croghan
Hello everyone! It's me, Korrine. I just wanted to take a
moment to thank each and every one of you for supporting me through emails,
visits, food, gifts, and most importantly, prayer. Without it, I probably
wouldn't have made it this far. Anyways, on a happier note, I am happy to
announce that I am feeling very good. This last round of chemo hit me pretty
hard, but I think that it is more exiting to end things with a big BANG! I will
try to start writing things for the blog now that my chemo therapy is over, but
until then, just know that I love every single one of you and I am always
thinking about my family, friends, and even the people who I've never met
before. Thanks for joining my battle and for making this experience "The
Experience of a Lifetime." LIVESTRONG! And stay positive.
Korrine Lannie Croghan
Monday, January 7, 2008
Update # 5
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
26 comments:
Dear Korrine and family--
I am Debbie's neighbor. Your mom taught a water aerobics class I took a year or so ago. You used to play with Chloe our grand-dau when you came over to Debbie's.
We are praying for you--for strength, healing, total return to health. I visualize you radiant and glowing--full of health and back in that pool playing hard!!
Love, Kathy and Art Molvik
Dear Korrine,
My daughter, Maddie Sweeney, began her water polo career with you several years ago--and with your father, of course. And she loved those years, remembers them with gladness and nostalgia. And so do I.
My personal experience with you, Korrine: You lit up the deck and the pool. I sensed an inner light when around you, a loveliness. People who know you will understand what I mean.
Even though you didn't really know me--we were only acquainted--you always greeted me as if you were happy to see me: your genuine warmth and big smile did my heart good.
I have been following your progress, and I keep you in prayer each day. Imagine the movie marquis at the Hacienda Cinema: Your name is in lights!
See you at the pool soon.
Love,
Kellie Essary (Sweeney)
Hey Korrine,
I hope you're feeling better and I just wanted to let you know that you'll be in my prayers. I'm really impressed at how strong you've been throughout this whole process and I hope that you continue to smile and keep the positive outlook that I've always known you to have. You've always brightened my day no matter how down I was feeling so now it's my turn. I hope your week is a good one. You'll be in my thoughts and I hope too see you soon!
-Ian McNair
Hi Korrine,
I miss you so much. You have been on Chris and I's minds constantly since we have been in Thailand and Burma. You are in my prayers always. You are such a strong girl, I even saw that in you when I first met you. Your joy is contageous and I know that the Lord has made you strong. I am excited to see you when we get home. Thank you for the updates they help me to know how to pray for you and your family at this time. You are all amazing people and an inspiration to everyone. I love you and I am praying for you.
Love, Brittany Tipton
Korrine.. just wanted you to know everyone is thinking of you. hope you get hydrated and can be home. congrats on getting some panda, thats some good stuff. Love you buches girlie. Always in my prayers
Hello beautiful girl...
We are thinking of you and your beautiful smile. Everyone whose life you have touched is a better person for having met you. Chad loves having you as a babysitter and loved the kind letter you gave him. We can't wait to give you a big bear hug and take you and Sean out to Loard's Ice Cream for the biggest sundae with extra whipped cream and hot fudge!! Love, Kyle, janet & Chad
Hi Korrine,
I'm Miles and Conner Kashyap's aunt and although we have never met, I've read your story and admire your strength SO much! You are an amazing girl!! When I was sick 5 years ago, many people prayed for me and it helped me regain my strength and good health back so I am 'paying it forward' and sending lots of prayers your way! :) You go girl!
Denise Kashyap
Best wishes from Southern California. Stay Strong.
-Kal
Korrine -
I am sure you do not remember me, but I first met you when you came to our water polo practices at Livermore High. Your dad was my coach and you would swim in the pool with us wearing water-wings.
I just wanted to let you know that you are in my prayers and that I find your strength encourging.
Wishing you the very best, Angela
Hi Korrine!
Just want you to know I have been thinking about you all morning! Good luck with your next round. Be strong! Enjoy the gifts from Dr. Josh, me and our offices.
You are an inspiration to us all!
Love,
Dr. Tom
Hi there, Korrine!
I went to high school with your dad and recently got an email with your blog address on it via a fellow classmate.
My family and I will be praying for you every day and so will our church - thank you for updating us and showing us pics of your beautiful smile.
All the best to you and your family,
Tracy (Brandt)and Tom Heiner, Nathan, Jessica and Zach
Hello!
I'm Cherie's step daughter and she mentioned you and I just wanted to say stay strong! Good luck with your next round of treatment. If you have myspace or want to email me feel free to do so. Since you're resting and probably at home all day, if you get bored and want to talk to someone who's not an adult hit me up.
You're in my prayers!
(I wanted to put in a happy face image from photobucket but i forgot you can't add them in comments on blog spot)
:D
-Jill Foster
blizzard126@hotmail.com
Korrine -
My name is Lisa Petersen (LisaP). I swam for your dad YEARS ago when he coached FAST. I remember when you were born and the first practice he brought you down to show you off.
Not only does your father love you, your whole family loves you, all these comments show obviously that so many people love you, and you have a faith that a mighty healing God loves you too!
To all the Croghans - my prayers for the healing hand of my faithful Father will be upon you.
Korrine - continue to livestrong and live full.
John 10:10
Lisa P
Dear Croghans,
Just wanted to let you know that I'm praying for complete healing for Korrine and strength for all of you! I taught at Canyon Middle School with your dad 12 years ago (when he was just a youngster!:)).
Your news was l passed along from a friend from our school (San Ramon Valley Christian Academy) so please know that the prayer warriors at Community Presbyterian Church in Danville are praying hard for you! Jeremiah 29:11 - "'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the Lord, 'plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope.'"
In His Name,
Pam Winaker
Hi Korrine,
I know your Dad from our days back at MSJ High. You look so much like him it's amazing.
You are obviously a very loved girl - and an amazing one too. Stay strong and positive. You will come out on top.
I am sending you good thoughts and prayers from San Diego.
My love to you,
Rita Smith (Pincenti)
Hi Korrine,
I hope you're feeling better very soon. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I'm sure I'll see your beautiful smile, and hear your thoughtful "hellos" very soon. Your positive attitude is an inspiration to all of us.
Love,
Judy & Jessica Biggs
Hi Croghans! You have all been in our thoughts and prayers for healing and strength since day one. We're here for you! What a great web-site~beautiful pictures of your lives! Korrine, I don't think I've seen you with dry hair since you were a little baby! Lots of Love, your Hassett Family,
Pat, Maria,Bridgette, Patrick and Leslie
Dear Korrine,
What a beautiful smile you still have through all of this.
We are praying for you. Our whole LOGOS group at Church will be praying for you Wednesday night and I know you will get stronger; you are such a positive girl!
Kimberly misses seeing you at school and is thinking of you.
Get strong soon!
Love Jane, Don, Hannah & Kimberly Ackley
Hey Korrine!
Hey! I've missed you soooooo much!! We had an assembly at our school the other day (the charter school, LVCS) about how you were doing these past couple of weeks, and all of the students are really motivated in helping you feel better so you might get a little surprise during the week...Anyway I hope that you keep getting better and better so that next year we can be freshmen buddies at Granada!! LIVESTRONG. You will always be in our thoughts and prayers.
Love,
Breanna and the Rittmann family
Hi Korrine,
Healing is coming in His name. We are quietly and simply claiming what is ours because of Calvary. We take authority over the enemy. Jesus lives big in you, it's clear. We are looking forward to your full recovery.
Your mom has been a true blessing to our family over the last few years. My boys were so very blessed by her homeschool P.E. aqua fitness classes. Through her they grew so much, and became wonderful swimmers. We love your mom and love you too.
REMINDER: PRAYER WARRIORS NEEDED.
Exodus 15:26 :"For I am the LORD who heals you."
My home is open Wednesday evenings from 6pm-7pm to pray scripture for Korrine, her family, and cancer fighters everywhere. If you feel called to pray with us, please come. If you can't come, please consider using this time to fast and pray, believing for Korrine's healing.
Join us:
Sally, Larry, Tanner, and Sam Olson
1828 Cassiopia St.
Livermore CA 94551
6pm-7pm
Olson-S@comcast.net
Korrine,
Hi! It's me Sean and I wanted to tell you that I can't wait to play with you again. God is doing amazing things through you and I am very proud to be your brother. Their can never be a better sister than you. Love Sean Croghan
Korrine,
You are a beautiful young women and I am so proud of you. You have already made this world a better place just by being you. I love you so much honey and we are going to beat this and LIVESTRONG for a lifetime toghter. Your smile and your eyes reflect love and Christ in you. Love For Eternity, Mommy.
Dear Korrine,
You won't remember me but I met you this summer while taking one of many of your mom's water aerobics classes. You struck me as a warm, loving and friendly young lady. Your mom lovingly talked about you and your brother often. She loves you so much and the love of all your family and friends is amazingly evident. I will be praying for you....keep up the positive outlook and strength to LIVESTRONG. "Be still and know that I am God" - Psalm 46:10
Love and blessings,
Victoria Cooper
Hey Korrine,
How are you? School has been pretty good. We all wish you were there today though. You make everything so much better. I just finished my NaNo, I bet your is really good. You are in my prayers and also Juliana's. I am so excited for promotion, it is going to be amazing. Then off to Granada!
I miss you a lot. You are going to get well soon I am just sure of it.
Love, Anja
My applause to your BLOG team ... you have lots of friends. I teach the Sunday class that your mom and dad attend during off-season. I remember them wondering if it was OK to come back to class after the long season ... and were swamped with love when they showed up ... just like you are now.
You should have several cards from both our Sunday School class of adults and from the Crucible class of teens, HollyAnn was the courier. You might not see them until you get home.
My family will be praying for you! I am a swim coach for the walnut creek aquabears and many of us are thinking of you during this difficult time. Stay strong and thanks for sharing your courage with us all.
Post a Comment