"Let no one ever come to you without leaving better and happier. Be the living expression of God's kindness; kindness in your face, kindness in your eyes, kindness in your smile, kindness in your warm greeting."
Mother Teresa

Smile

Cancer stripped her of everything including her life but it could not steal away God's LOVE, PEACE and the JOY that radiated through her. Korrine never stopped SMILING!
Korrine Lannie Croghan

Korrine Croghan was a vivacious 14-year-old girl who lived all of her life in Livermore, CA. She had a love for animals, sports, and most of all, family. Korrine was a straight “A” student while attending Mendenhall Middle School and was working hard in her first trimester at Granada High. She was a great friend to many and was everything that a brother, mother and father could ask for in a daughter. Korrine was the type of girl who would greet you with a wide smile and look into your eyes and truly would want to know how you were doing

Korrine & Cancer

On December 20th, 2007, Korrine was diagnosed with Choriocarcinoma with a germ cell element. Choriocarcinoma is a very rare type of cancer in teenage girls and inflicts less than 200 nationwide each year. Although the cancer started in her left ovary, the cancer had spread to her right ovary, lungs and liver. After the removal of a cantaloupe sized tumor in her left ovary on December 21st of 2007, Korrine, endured 10 months of intense chemotherapy designed for adult men.

During the course of her treatment, Korrine suffered many complications. In early April of 2007, her liver began to bleed. After staying at Kaiser Oakland for almost two weeks, Korrine was transfered to UCSF and spent a month in the intensive care unit. The doctors at UCSF Medical Center were finally able to stop her bleeding liver, but, not before it filled her abdomen with 5 liters of blood that had to be drained via a tube inserted into her stomach. On top of that, both of Korrines’ lungs collapsed while undergoing a CT scan that almost took her life. Because of that, 2 liters of fluid needed to be drained off of her lungs with the use of another drainage tube. Throughout her treatment Korrine needed numerous blood and platelet transfusions. She had nosebleeds that lasted an hour on several occasions. At one point, she had 18 intravenous tubes running through her body filled with anti-bacterials, anti-fungals, nutrition, painkillers and chemotherapy. Korrine miraculously made it through those tough days at UCSF and returned to Kaiser Hospital in Oakland. She was finally stable and was released to go home in late June. Just as things were starting to look up for her, she suffered septic shock in July that forced her to go back into intensive care at Kaiser in Santa Clara for 2 weeks.

Korrine returned home in late July and went through imaging scans to see if the cancer had disappeared. The scans always came back good, but not great. In an effort to kill and stop the remaining cancer cells, she underwent an emergency round of chemotherapy in early September. Unfortunately, it did kill the remaining cancer and her doctors had run out of options.

Korrine spent her last days at home with her family reading books and loving on her cats and dog. She passed away quietly, at home, on October 27th, 2008. Through it all, Korrine had a positive attitude and never gave up or complained. Many consider Korrine a hero.

Team KC

The Team KC website was originally started as a way to encourage, educate, raise awareness, and keep friends and family informed with accurate information on Korrine's treatment and progress. Family, classmates, friends, community members, and complete strangers rallied to support Korrine and her family through her fight against Choriocarcinoma. We were amazed by the amount of support we received, and it is now our desire to give back. In March, 2009, Team KC became an official nonprofit by joining forces with Kaiser Foundation Hospital. All monies raised by Team KC will directly benefit pediatric cancer patients and their families. All monetary contributions are tax deductible.

Our Mission: To help improve the quality of life of pediatric cancer patients and their families. We wish to supply children with fun activities, toys and anything else that will brighten and better their lives. Monies will also be used to help parents pay for bills and defray the costs of gas, food and lodging that go along with caring for a child with cancer.

Stay Positive, LIVESTRONG & Welcome to Team KC!

*This is the official Team KC website and the only website approved by the Croghan family. Please do not use content, images, or video from this site without permission. This is an effort to respect the family's privacy and ensure that all content is accurate and approved. Thank you for your cooperation.
A Note From Korrine (written after her 4th round of Chemo)...

Hello everyone! It's me, Korrine. I just wanted to take a
moment to thank each and every one of you for supporting me through emails,
visits, food, gifts, and most importantly, prayer. Without it, I probably
wouldn't have made it this far. Anyways, on a happier note, I am happy to
announce that I am feeling very good. This last round of chemo hit me pretty
hard, but I think that it is more exiting to end things with a big BANG! I will
try to start writing things for the blog now that my chemo therapy is over, but
until then, just know that I love every single one of you and I am always
thinking about my family, friends, and even the people who I've never met
before. Thanks for joining my battle and for making this experience "The
Experience of a Lifetime." LIVESTRONG! And stay positive.

Korrine Lannie Croghan

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Round 2...DING!


Korrine is comfortably settled in at the hospital and has just begun her 2nd round of Chemo. She has really nice nurses and is going into round 2 much stronger than round 1. Please pray that she is able to keep her strength up and her food down - especially for the next 5 days. Stay tuned because Korrine is planning a special message to post on her blog later this evening. This is one you won't want to miss. Until Later...
The Croghan Family

27 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Korrine!! You're going to blow this 2nd round of chemo away and be so awesome! You are incredibly strong which is very admirable! =)

My family prays for you every night at dinner and I do again before bed! You're constantly being thought of and prayed for.

See you soon. Love, Alex Accornero

Anonymous said...

Courage is fear that has said its prayers

Dana Croghan

Anonymous said...

Hey Korrine,
Just sending you lots of loves and hugs. You are always on my mind and in my prayers. The pool just isn't the same with you and your family here. Keep that smile shining and stay strong, so you can kick some cancer butt. You are one heck of a girl.
LiveStrong
Joy

Anonymous said...

Dear Korrine and family,I have looked at your blog and been amazed at the strength of you and your family.  I should not be surprised because you come from a special family. I swam for Uncle Mark at Hayward and am great friends with Desiree. I know that you will be swimming with your friends this summer at Sunset.  I can only amagine that each day is like swimming 100 X 100's.  Dig down deep and keep smiling.   Love to you & your family,Mike, Luke,& Lori King-McLean     

Anonymous said...

hey korrine we are all rooting for you keep living strong we all send our love you rock you are such a rolemodel to young girls evreywhere you are going to get ride out of this cancer and be better before you know it

we send our love and our happiness

Anonymous said...

Korrine you're such a strong person! know you'll get through this second round and you'll take it like a champ!

You're in mine and my family's prayers all day!

I can't wait to see you again soon!

Love,

Maddie Sweeney

Anonymous said...

hey korrine,
u dont know me.
i go to ur school
i hope u start feeling better each day, don't worry you will get better soon,
we all miss you at school.
love,
mendenhall students

Anonymous said...

Hey there Korrine,

We will pray for you tonight, tomorrow and forever more.


Go
Team
Korrine!

Liz Oettel (teacher at Canyon)
Pam Crosby (Student at Canyon

Anonymous said...

Hey there Korrine,


My daughter Pam and I will pray for you today, tomorrow and always.


Go Team Korrine1


Liz Oettel (Teacher at Canyon)
Pam Crosby (Student at Canyon)

Anonymous said...

Hi Croghi!
Your "beautiful bald head"! Your mom is so funny!

Steve and I are watching America's Next Top Model right now (not his choice, he's being nice), and the bald girls always win!

He said you looked great and it was really good to see you on Sunday. I am so sad I missed you!
Good luck with round 2!
Lots of love and prayers
Tricia Rosa

Anonymous said...

Hi Korrine :)
I love your new picture on the front page and the picture on this post!!! You are my hero!
You are facing this fight with courage and are giving it your utmost for His highest! Rest in His love my sweet niece! I believe that a cure for cancer is right around the corner. You will win!
I love you,
Auntie Denise

Anonymous said...

Hey Korrine,

You've been in my thoughts and prayers all day. God has a great plan for you beyond all of this. You have reminded people to have faith, love family & friends, to cherish every moment (don't worry be happy) and to LIVESTRONG. We are truly blessed to know you and your beautiful family.

Love, Janet

Anonymous said...

Korrine,Dana,Matt and Sean

You are always on my mind and in my heart. God has so blessed your family . The words of love and support are incredible.
Sleep tight tonight Korrine, you are fighting a strong, hard battle.
All my love
Auntie Marcia

Anonymous said...

I look at this picture of and can't help but think of the Rocky movies (only you're alot prettier than Rocky) You are tough..go out and fight.
Prayers and love flying your way,
The Rosas

ps. it was great to see your dad at Sunset (and his new haircut!) can't wait to see you there soon!

Anonymous said...

Dear Korrine and Family,

May God strengthen and bless you during this time. We are praying for you. These scriptures from the book of Psalms are very encouraging:
"Anyone dwelling in the secret place of the Most High will procure himself lodging under the very shadow of the Almighty One. I will say to God "You are my refuge and my stronghold,my God in whom I will trust." With his pinions he will block approach to you, and under his wings you will take refuge. His trueness will be a large shield and bulwark. You will not be afraid of anything dreadful by night, nor of the arrow that flies by day, nor of the pestilence that walks in the gloom, nor of the destruction that despoils at midday. Because you said: "God is my refuge,: You have made the Most High himself your dwelling; For he will give his own angels a command concerning you, to guard you in all your ways. Upon their hands they will carry you, that you may not strike your foot against any stone. Because on me he has set his affection, I shall also provide him with escape. I shall protect him because he has come to know my name. He will call upon me, and I shall answer him. I shall be with him in distress. I shall rescue him and glorify him. With length of days I shall satisfy him, and I shall cause him to see salvation by me." Psalms 91: 1,2,4,5,6,9,10-16. Our hearts are with you. Linda H. & Jonathan

Anonymous said...

Korrine,

A quick hello to let you know I'm thinking of you as Round 2 starts. You are so beautiful and so amazing!

hugs and love, kathy t.

Marcy Pryor said...

Hey girl!!

My prayer for you is joy, my prayer for you is strength, my prayer for you is comfort while you are in the hospital. I hope you got the movie I mailed before you left for the hospital. It will make you laugh. Have courage Korrine, you can do it. You have the prayers of many requesting the favor of the Lord!! I give thanks for His presence in your life!! Love to you, hug your mom for me.

Marcy Pryor

Anonymous said...

Hi Korrine!!! My family and I hold you in our thoughts! We've been sporting your TEAM KC shirts! You are strong beyond your years. You will beat this!!! I will see you very soon back on the pool deck. With Love, Coach Kate Faix

Anonymous said...

Don't be selfish or self-seeking in anything you do. Instead of being self-promoting, be humble and consider others more important than yourself in all you do and say. Encourage one another, and build each other up.

Philippians 2:3
1 Thessalonians 5:11

As I sit and watch my daughter sleep and receive the beginning of her 2nd round of Chemo Therapy with a beautiful bald head I am reminded others have it worse and our lives are so blessed. I am praying for all of you and thinking of you.

Love,
Dana Croghan

Anonymous said...

Wow - all I can say is that I really want to know more about a God that gives you that kind of Peace. The Peace that allows you to know you are blessed as you watch you own child ( with stage 4 cancer ) receiving chemo. I will be checking this blog more often!

Anonymous said...

Korrine,

You are an amazing young woman. It was good to get to know you a bit better with the video you made. To hear your voice and see your amazing smile! Thanks for doing that, even with all you are going through. You help to remind everyone to pray for all those fighting the battle of cancer.
May God's peace surround and fill you and your family each day. God shines brightly through you!
God Bless,
Diane Shore (Aunt Denise's friend)

Anonymous said...

I hope you all check this e-mail more often and see miracles take place in the lives of the Croghan family because of their faith, courage, prayers and support.

Anonymous said...

Thank You,

Thank you SMITH SCHOOL STUDENT COUNCIL for your LiveSTRONG support and for your support of our daughter Korrine Croghan by wearing the LiveSTRONG wristbands.

Every time a LiveSTRONG wristband is purchased that money goes back to Cancer Research and patient support. That kind of support is saving lives all over the world and it is saving our daughter's life.

Thank you for your support and we love each and every one of you and we LiveSTRONG because of you.

Thank You,
Dana Croghan

Anonymous said...

Hi Korrine

It was so nice watching your video. You look so GREAT and so happy.

I want you to know that I am thinking of you often. I know you will do so great in this round of Chemo. You are strong and a fighter. I am proud of you.

I will write again soon, but I want you to know I am thinking about you so much.
Paige Bauer

Anonymous said...

Hi you dont know me and probably never will but, i just want you to know that i care about you and you will be in my prayers. I know you'll make it through this because you can tell right off the back that you're the type who is strong, courageous, and fun to be around! : ) Well yeah so i got to go.
Bye

Mark, Cheryl, Connor, Preston Hasting said...

Hi Korrine,
We are thinking of you as you are in round 2. You are so positive!
We loved watching your video.

Connor and Cheryl

Anonymous said...

Hi Korrine,
We have been following with you and continue to admire your courage and stamina.We enjoyed listening to your recent words to all the wonderful people whose prayers are keeping you uplifted. Bald is beautiful, and goes along with your glowing smile and your strong and sweet voice.I thank God for giving you and your family the strength to carry on every day stuff that needs to be done,and also, the example you are all showing of your strong faith..what a lesson for all of us.We will all be better and stronger people because of what you are going through.You are a true blessing.We hope to see you soon.I still have this bronchial thing going on and won't risk getting any germs by you.
Love and prayers
Ian and Debby