Words can not express my love and gratitude for all of our family and friends. We are having to dig deeper within ourselves than ever before or ever again. I am here to tell you that God’s Grace is sufficient for me today. I have great faith that my precious daughter is going through this terrible cancer for a greater purpose and she will do amazing things because of this experience and she will have touched the lives of people all around this world. She is making this world a better place for us all and is truly teaching us to LIVE STRONG and value each and every moment we have together, to love and be kind to one another and to be courageous. Hug your kids every day, Say I love you, Have fun with them and Trust that God will be Glorified thru Korrine’s experience. Thank you I love all of you. Smile for Korrine as I know her smile brightened all our lives and she is still smiling in the midst of all of this. We need all of you and we thank you we could not have gone thru one second without all of your support. Please do not stop praying that she will be healed of this cancer and may God Be Glorified.
Love and Thankfullness,
Dana Croghan
"Let no one ever come to you without leaving better and happier. Be the living expression of God's kindness; kindness in your face, kindness in your eyes, kindness in your smile, kindness in your warm greeting."
Mother Teresa
Mother Teresa
Smile
Cancer stripped her of everything including her life but it could not steal away God's LOVE, PEACE and the JOY that radiated through her. Korrine never stopped SMILING!
Korrine Lannie Croghan
Korrine Croghan was a vivacious 14-year-old girl who lived all of her life in Livermore, CA. She had a love for animals, sports, and most of all, family. Korrine was a straight “A” student while attending Mendenhall Middle School and was working hard in her first trimester at Granada High. She was a great friend to many and was everything that a brother, mother and father could ask for in a daughter. Korrine was the type of girl who would greet you with a wide smile and look into your eyes and truly would want to know how you were doing
Korrine & Cancer
On December 20th, 2007, Korrine was diagnosed with Choriocarcinoma with a germ cell element. Choriocarcinoma is a very rare type of cancer in teenage girls and inflicts less than 200 nationwide each year. Although the cancer started in her left ovary, the cancer had spread to her right ovary, lungs and liver. After the removal of a cantaloupe sized tumor in her left ovary on December 21st of 2007, Korrine, endured 10 months of intense chemotherapy designed for adult men.
During the course of her treatment, Korrine suffered many complications. In early April of 2007, her liver began to bleed. After staying at Kaiser Oakland for almost two weeks, Korrine was transfered to UCSF and spent a month in the intensive care unit. The doctors at UCSF Medical Center were finally able to stop her bleeding liver, but, not before it filled her abdomen with 5 liters of blood that had to be drained via a tube inserted into her stomach. On top of that, both of Korrines’ lungs collapsed while undergoing a CT scan that almost took her life. Because of that, 2 liters of fluid needed to be drained off of her lungs with the use of another drainage tube. Throughout her treatment Korrine needed numerous blood and platelet transfusions. She had nosebleeds that lasted an hour on several occasions. At one point, she had 18 intravenous tubes running through her body filled with anti-bacterials, anti-fungals, nutrition, painkillers and chemotherapy. Korrine miraculously made it through those tough days at UCSF and returned to Kaiser Hospital in Oakland. She was finally stable and was released to go home in late June. Just as things were starting to look up for her, she suffered septic shock in July that forced her to go back into intensive care at Kaiser in Santa Clara for 2 weeks.
Korrine returned home in late July and went through imaging scans to see if the cancer had disappeared. The scans always came back good, but not great. In an effort to kill and stop the remaining cancer cells, she underwent an emergency round of chemotherapy in early September. Unfortunately, it did kill the remaining cancer and her doctors had run out of options.
Korrine spent her last days at home with her family reading books and loving on her cats and dog. She passed away quietly, at home, on October 27th, 2008. Through it all, Korrine had a positive attitude and never gave up or complained. Many consider Korrine a hero.
Team KC
The Team KC website was originally started as a way to encourage, educate, raise awareness, and keep friends and family informed with accurate information on Korrine's treatment and progress. Family, classmates, friends, community members, and complete strangers rallied to support Korrine and her family through her fight against Choriocarcinoma. We were amazed by the amount of support we received, and it is now our desire to give back. In March, 2009, Team KC became an official nonprofit by joining forces with Kaiser Foundation Hospital. All monies raised by Team KC will directly benefit pediatric cancer patients and their families. All monetary contributions are tax deductible.
Our Mission: To help improve the quality of life of pediatric cancer patients and their families. We wish to supply children with fun activities, toys and anything else that will brighten and better their lives. Monies will also be used to help parents pay for bills and defray the costs of gas, food and lodging that go along with caring for a child with cancer.
Stay Positive, LIVESTRONG & Welcome to Team KC!
*This is the official Team KC website and the only website approved by the Croghan family. Please do not use content, images, or video from this site without permission. This is an effort to respect the family's privacy and ensure that all content is accurate and approved. Thank you for your cooperation.
Korrine Croghan was a vivacious 14-year-old girl who lived all of her life in Livermore, CA. She had a love for animals, sports, and most of all, family. Korrine was a straight “A” student while attending Mendenhall Middle School and was working hard in her first trimester at Granada High. She was a great friend to many and was everything that a brother, mother and father could ask for in a daughter. Korrine was the type of girl who would greet you with a wide smile and look into your eyes and truly would want to know how you were doing
Korrine & Cancer
On December 20th, 2007, Korrine was diagnosed with Choriocarcinoma with a germ cell element. Choriocarcinoma is a very rare type of cancer in teenage girls and inflicts less than 200 nationwide each year. Although the cancer started in her left ovary, the cancer had spread to her right ovary, lungs and liver. After the removal of a cantaloupe sized tumor in her left ovary on December 21st of 2007, Korrine, endured 10 months of intense chemotherapy designed for adult men.
During the course of her treatment, Korrine suffered many complications. In early April of 2007, her liver began to bleed. After staying at Kaiser Oakland for almost two weeks, Korrine was transfered to UCSF and spent a month in the intensive care unit. The doctors at UCSF Medical Center were finally able to stop her bleeding liver, but, not before it filled her abdomen with 5 liters of blood that had to be drained via a tube inserted into her stomach. On top of that, both of Korrines’ lungs collapsed while undergoing a CT scan that almost took her life. Because of that, 2 liters of fluid needed to be drained off of her lungs with the use of another drainage tube. Throughout her treatment Korrine needed numerous blood and platelet transfusions. She had nosebleeds that lasted an hour on several occasions. At one point, she had 18 intravenous tubes running through her body filled with anti-bacterials, anti-fungals, nutrition, painkillers and chemotherapy. Korrine miraculously made it through those tough days at UCSF and returned to Kaiser Hospital in Oakland. She was finally stable and was released to go home in late June. Just as things were starting to look up for her, she suffered septic shock in July that forced her to go back into intensive care at Kaiser in Santa Clara for 2 weeks.
Korrine returned home in late July and went through imaging scans to see if the cancer had disappeared. The scans always came back good, but not great. In an effort to kill and stop the remaining cancer cells, she underwent an emergency round of chemotherapy in early September. Unfortunately, it did kill the remaining cancer and her doctors had run out of options.
Korrine spent her last days at home with her family reading books and loving on her cats and dog. She passed away quietly, at home, on October 27th, 2008. Through it all, Korrine had a positive attitude and never gave up or complained. Many consider Korrine a hero.
Team KC
The Team KC website was originally started as a way to encourage, educate, raise awareness, and keep friends and family informed with accurate information on Korrine's treatment and progress. Family, classmates, friends, community members, and complete strangers rallied to support Korrine and her family through her fight against Choriocarcinoma. We were amazed by the amount of support we received, and it is now our desire to give back. In March, 2009, Team KC became an official nonprofit by joining forces with Kaiser Foundation Hospital. All monies raised by Team KC will directly benefit pediatric cancer patients and their families. All monetary contributions are tax deductible.
Our Mission: To help improve the quality of life of pediatric cancer patients and their families. We wish to supply children with fun activities, toys and anything else that will brighten and better their lives. Monies will also be used to help parents pay for bills and defray the costs of gas, food and lodging that go along with caring for a child with cancer.
Stay Positive, LIVESTRONG & Welcome to Team KC!
*This is the official Team KC website and the only website approved by the Croghan family. Please do not use content, images, or video from this site without permission. This is an effort to respect the family's privacy and ensure that all content is accurate and approved. Thank you for your cooperation.
A Note From Korrine (written after her 4th round of Chemo)...
Hello everyone! It's me, Korrine. I just wanted to take a
moment to thank each and every one of you for supporting me through emails,
visits, food, gifts, and most importantly, prayer. Without it, I probably
wouldn't have made it this far. Anyways, on a happier note, I am happy to
announce that I am feeling very good. This last round of chemo hit me pretty
hard, but I think that it is more exiting to end things with a big BANG! I will
try to start writing things for the blog now that my chemo therapy is over, but
until then, just know that I love every single one of you and I am always
thinking about my family, friends, and even the people who I've never met
before. Thanks for joining my battle and for making this experience "The
Experience of a Lifetime." LIVESTRONG! And stay positive.
Korrine Lannie Croghan
Hello everyone! It's me, Korrine. I just wanted to take a
moment to thank each and every one of you for supporting me through emails,
visits, food, gifts, and most importantly, prayer. Without it, I probably
wouldn't have made it this far. Anyways, on a happier note, I am happy to
announce that I am feeling very good. This last round of chemo hit me pretty
hard, but I think that it is more exiting to end things with a big BANG! I will
try to start writing things for the blog now that my chemo therapy is over, but
until then, just know that I love every single one of you and I am always
thinking about my family, friends, and even the people who I've never met
before. Thanks for joining my battle and for making this experience "The
Experience of a Lifetime." LIVESTRONG! And stay positive.
Korrine Lannie Croghan
Wednesday, January 9, 2008
A Message From Dana...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
20 comments:
Dear Croghan Family,
I am praying for your strength, rest and peace during this time of trial. Korrine while I have never met you, I work at the school with your dad and Uncle Mark, and also attend Crosswinds church.
LIVESTRONG- Jenni Cabral
I have been and will continue to be praying every day. I wear a LIVESTRONG bracelet that reminds me to pray. Let me tell you how it reminded me yesterday. My cat, Shadow, loves to chew on squishy things, like rubber bracelets. He actually chewed up my LIVESTRONG bracelet and I threw it away last year. When Korrine went into the hospital, I got a new one. Yesterday morning when I was sleeping, Shadow was sleeping with me, with his head on my arm (he's so cute). Then he decided it was time to get up, so he started to bite my fingers. I moaned and told him to go away. He then started to bite my arm. I was half asleep but I could feel him really chewing yet my arm wasn't in any pain. Then he pulled and I heard SNAP and felt the LIVESTRONG bracelet snap on my wrist. Suddnely I woke up and said, "Oh no you don't!" He was trying to chew up my new bracelet! Then, since I was awake, I prayed (actually I tossed him off the bed first and then prayed).
Remember, God is stronger than the enemy, and more persistent than cats!
Dianne Duffy
I pray for Korrine every night and think of her every time I see mine or anyone else's LIVESTRONG band.
God Bless Korrine and every child battling cancer. You're all in our thoughts and prayers.
Love, Alex Accornero
Hi Korrine,
I'm not sure if you remember us, but we sure remember you and your wonderful family. Several years ago your dad coached us through our first water polo team. You were one of those players that everyone noticed! Though you were little in size, you played with amazing heart. It was so fun to watch you challenge players that were MUCH bigger than you without appearing to be intimidated at all! We know that your attitude, heart and determination (not to mention the best grin in town) will serve you well in this fight too. We think of you and your family everyday and pray that you will feel better very soon.
the Jow family
Hi Korrine,
I saw your mom today and I must say that you and your family are an inspiration to me. I have always believed that I was a strong person, but you are the LIVESTRONGEST! I am very proud of you for being soo brave. And know that there are thousands of people praying for you and wishing you the best.
Looking forward to seeing your smiling face soon, The Bodan Family (Alex, Debi, Skyler and Sarah)
P.S. Mom, Dad and Brother Sean... If there is ANYTHING we can do to help you at the homefront, please call or email us homes@debibodan.com
Team KC, You are an amazing bunch of people. We are going to have one big huge party when Korrine is feeling better and you are all invited! Thank you for loving Korrine and her family! We are deeply touched by the wonderful support system surrounding Korrine, her mom & dad & awesome brother Sean. I know I speak for the whole Croghan family . . . we appreciate you all so much! A friend just gave me a Live Strong bracelet and I won't take it off Korrine until you are well! I love you so much, Auntie Denise
When you suffer for Jesus, it works out for your healing and salvation. If you are treated well, given a helping hand and encouraging word, that also works to your benefit, spurring you on, face forward, unflinching. Your hard times are also our hard times. When we see that you're just as willing to endure the hard times as to enjoy the good times, we know you're going to make it, no doubt about it.
Dana - What you say is so true! Korrine is doing so many amazing things through her battle! I could list so many ways that this whole experience has touched us all, but the two most important that I can think of are: #1 - that hundreds of people are praying for her, and some, like me, who haven't prayed in a while, but are praying to God for Korrine and that is such a great thing! It's bringing so many closer to God again! #2 - It reminds us all to "not sweat the small stuff", to appreciate what we have, and as Dana said, to hug our kids a little tighter and a littel more often, which I know I have done during all of this. We love you guys, and know that there IS an incredible purpose to all of this!
:)
Betsy
Hey Korrine,
How's it going kid? I know things are tough now but your a strong, beautiful young girl with a whole life ahead of you. When you beat this cancer and look back on these days you'll see that you have many friends that love you alot and we are all praying for you. I think of you often and you're in my prayers. See you soon.
Ron and the Swinkels Family
Korrine,
I hope Im not duplicating this message, I got messed up. Anyway, we are all praying for you in our family. Derek, my son, remembers you from school and homeschool, also we all remember you from singing at the softball opening day. You had so much courage that day, I couldn't belelive a girl your age could do that without messing up.
Derek said he will write you soon. Keep in mind that he is 12 and you can't expect poetry when he writes you, hee hee.
We love all of your family and please let us know if there is anything we can do. We just measured hair tonight and we are about 2 inches short on myself and Brooke, maybe we need to eat good for a few weeks and we can get a 10 inch pony. Of course you probably want her non-processed, young hair anyway.
Love you, we are praying everyday. Also, Derek and I had a good cry together tonight while reading your blog. I thank you for bringing families closer together.
Love,
Kelley
Hi Korrine,
I'm sorry to hear you have cancer. I know that you can pull through this. You are an amazingly strong and positive person. I will be praying for you everyday for a speedy recovery. I miss your bright smile and look forward to seeing you at school soon. Take care.
Love,
Jackie Class
Hi Korrine:
I have been thinking about you this morning and have been praying specifically for your nausea. I hope you are feeling a little better and you are able to enjoy some food. Can't wait until I can come visit you!! Stay STRONG....
Love, Eileen
Be my rock of refuge,
to which I can always go;
give the command to save me,
for you are my rock and my fortress. Psalm 71:3
We are thinking about you and praying for you everyday Korrine, We hope you can get your strength up and continue to fight! God will get you through this! Keep smiling even through all you are going through.
We too are all wearing our livestrong braclets and I think of you everytime I look at it.
Matt, Dana and Sean,
Please let us know if there is anything we can help you with. Looks like you are set for food maybe help taking Sean to and from school or having him just come over and play? we would love to have you Sean. We are all here for you guys.
Kevin and Tamika Riddiough
kgtrid@comcast.net
Dear Croghans,
Kellie and I visited the Locks of Love website yesterday. Kellie's hair is not quite long enough to donate, but she should have enough length by spring.
We're praying for you daily.
Love to you all,
Pamela Hughes
Korrine,
I miss your smile and enthusiasm in class! Your Keepsake is so impressive and I will get it returned to you through Cyndy soon.
I do pray for you and your family. The inspiration and love of those who are maintaining this blog is a blessing, as is the technology that makes it possible! The care of the nurses and medical staff is God's loving touch in human experience.
We will stay in touch as you heal.
Mrs. Brown
Hello Korrine i think this is four messages for me! But anyway... Ihope you are doing well! I am so excited for you! THat you get to go home anyway! i was just wondering if you didnt mind if i sent you a letter?! i would really like to talk to you! Well keep on smiling! Hope to hear your doing well! XOXO!
Love Always, LIVESTRONG,
Audrey Walke
Hey Korrine,
Third period PE is not the same without you to help us keep those routy kids in line. ha!ha! Our new climbing wall is ready to go and you'll just love it. We are playing lacrosse now and soccer is upcoming. (Don't tell the kids, but dance is coming!lol)I miss you!! I gave your mom my phone # and home email. Call or write when you feel up to it, and I give you the scoop on 3rd period PE. You are in my prayers and thoughts daily, honey. Mrs. Baccus (Johnson)
Dana,
You are an amazing woman. You are in the midst of the hardest fight of your life and still you think of others. As mothers, when our children hurt, we feel their pain as though it were our own. Stay strong, be good to yourself, and continue on. We are all praying for Korrine, you and Matt and Sean, and all those affected by this terrible disease. God is good, he will bring you through this.
Mary Accornero
Hi Croghan Family--
My great friend, Julie Snyder (a MMS core teacher), has been keeping me abreast Korrine's progress. What an incredible spirit Korrine has... I can tell by her incredible smile and eyes shining through in every photo! Please know that our family's prayers are for Korrine and your family.
Much love,
Lynda Brekke (a fellow LVJUSD teacher)
Hi Korrine
I just got back from picking up my Team KC Tshirts. I love it and the Bergendahl family will wear them proudly.
I love your new hair style, only you could make that work so well.
No hat needed there, except to keep warm.
You are fighting this battle so strongly. I am so proud of you and your lets get this done attitude. Good girl Korrine. I saw the picture of your dad and that baldness has a familiar look to it, like I've seen it before(a long time ago)
I love you honey and am always rooting for you and your team, the one I want to be on. I am recruiting members all the time. Love Auntie Marcia
Post a Comment