"Let no one ever come to you without leaving better and happier. Be the living expression of God's kindness; kindness in your face, kindness in your eyes, kindness in your smile, kindness in your warm greeting."
Mother Teresa
Cancer stripped her of everything including her life but it could not steal away God's LOVE, PEACE and the JOY that radiated through her. Korrine never stopped SMILING!
Korrine Lannie Croghan
Korrine Croghan was a vivacious 14-year-old girl who lived all of her life in Livermore, CA. She had a love for animals, sports, and most of all, family. Korrine was a straight “A” student while attending Mendenhall Middle School and was working hard in her first trimester at Granada High. She was a great friend to many and was everything that a brother, mother and father could ask for in a daughter. Korrine was the type of girl who would greet you with a wide smile and look into your eyes and truly would want to know how you were doing
Korrine & Cancer
On December 20th, 2007, Korrine was diagnosed with Choriocarcinoma with a germ cell element. Choriocarcinoma is a very rare type of cancer in teenage girls and inflicts less than 200 nationwide each year. Although the cancer started in her left ovary, the cancer had spread to her right ovary, lungs and liver. After the removal of a cantaloupe sized tumor in her left ovary on December 21st of 2007, Korrine, endured 10 months of intense chemotherapy designed for adult men.
During the course of her treatment, Korrine suffered many complications. In early April of 2007, her liver began to bleed. After staying at Kaiser Oakland for almost two weeks, Korrine was transfered to UCSF and spent a month in the intensive care unit. The doctors at UCSF Medical Center were finally able to stop her bleeding liver, but, not before it filled her abdomen with 5 liters of blood that had to be drained via a tube inserted into her stomach. On top of that, both of Korrines’ lungs collapsed while undergoing a CT scan that almost took her life. Because of that, 2 liters of fluid needed to be drained off of her lungs with the use of another drainage tube. Throughout her treatment Korrine needed numerous blood and platelet transfusions. She had nosebleeds that lasted an hour on several occasions. At one point, she had 18 intravenous tubes running through her body filled with anti-bacterials, anti-fungals, nutrition, painkillers and chemotherapy. Korrine miraculously made it through those tough days at UCSF and returned to Kaiser Hospital in Oakland. She was finally stable and was released to go home in late June. Just as things were starting to look up for her, she suffered septic shock in July that forced her to go back into intensive care at Kaiser in Santa Clara for 2 weeks.
Korrine returned home in late July and went through imaging scans to see if the cancer had disappeared. The scans always came back good, but not great. In an effort to kill and stop the remaining cancer cells, she underwent an emergency round of chemotherapy in early September. Unfortunately, it did kill the remaining cancer and her doctors had run out of options.
Korrine spent her last days at home with her family reading books and loving on her cats and dog. She passed away quietly, at home, on October 27th, 2008. Through it all, Korrine had a positive attitude and never gave up or complained. Many consider Korrine a hero.
Team KC
The Team KC website was originally started as a way to encourage, educate, raise awareness, and keep friends and family informed with accurate information on Korrine's treatment and progress. Family, classmates, friends, community members, and complete strangers rallied to support Korrine and her family through her fight against Choriocarcinoma. We were amazed by the amount of support we received, and it is now our desire to give back. In March, 2009, Team KC became an official nonprofit by joining forces with Kaiser Foundation Hospital. All monies raised by Team KC will directly benefit pediatric cancer patients and their families. All monetary contributions are tax deductible.
Our Mission: To help improve the quality of life of pediatric cancer patients and their families. We wish to supply children with fun activities, toys and anything else that will brighten and better their lives. Monies will also be used to help parents pay for bills and defray the costs of gas, food and lodging that go along with caring for a child with cancer.
Stay Positive, LIVESTRONG & Welcome to Team KC!
*This is the official Team KC website and the only website approved by the Croghan family. Please do not use content, images, or video from this site without permission. This is an effort to respect the family's privacy and ensure that all content is accurate and approved. Thank you for your cooperation.
A Note From Korrine (written after her 4th round of Chemo)...
Hello everyone! It's me, Korrine. I just wanted to take a
moment to thank each and every one of you for supporting me through emails,
visits, food, gifts, and most importantly, prayer. Without it, I probably
wouldn't have made it this far. Anyways, on a happier note, I am happy to
announce that I am feeling very good. This last round of chemo hit me pretty
hard, but I think that it is more exiting to end things with a big BANG! I will
try to start writing things for the blog now that my chemo therapy is over, but
until then, just know that I love every single one of you and I am always
thinking about my family, friends, and even the people who I've never met
before. Thanks for joining my battle and for making this experience "The
Experience of a Lifetime." LIVESTRONG! And stay positive.
Korrine Lannie Croghan
It's storming outside but please be encouraged, today is a good day! Korrine enjoyed some Chinese food today and it is also the last day of the first round of chemo. Korrine told her mom today . . . "You know Mom, chemo isn't so bad!!!" Dana said that both she and Korrine have an overwhelming peace! Korrine has read all of the comments on her blog and all of the cards that she has received! Now that's amazing! Keep those prayers and encouraging comments coming!
He has given me a new song to sing, of praises to our God. Now many will hear of the glorious things He did for me, and stand in awe before the Lord, and put their trust in Him. Psalm 40:3
A letter from Korrine written today to her swim coach Stu who unexpectedly passed away last week . . .
Dear Coach Stu,
You made my swimming career so enjoyable. When I become an Olympic H20 polo player, I'll be thinking of you. From now on whenever I enter the Cabana Club, I'll be thinking of you and remembering what a snazzy time it was having you as a coach!
Swim Always, Korrine Croghan
A letter to Stu & his family from The Croghan's . . .
Dearest Stu,
You always made our family feel special every time we stepped on your pool deck. Thank you for teaching us so much. We will miss you!
To Stu's Family,
If we can do anything for your family, don't hesitate to let us know.
Love for Eternity, Dana, Matt, Korrine & Sean Croghan
17 comments:
We are praying for you!
Rob Hall and Family
To my Korrine,
You are in my prayers that I say each night
I look up to you for putting up this fight
I pray that you get through
and that when you look up,
your skies are a beautiful shade of blue
You are strong,kind, and so very bright
You are a lovely,wonderful and beautiful sight
I can't wait to see that pretty face
push hard, keep strong and win this race
If there is anything I can do, please do let me know
You, Korrine Croghan are my hero.
Lots of love,
your babysitter Katie =)
Poem By: Katie Paredez
Hi Korrine,
I don't care the least bit about the storm! I am praying for you and thinking about you LOTS! I am delighted to hear that you were able to eat (and maybe even enjoy?) some food today. Hurray! Your attitude continues to shine throughout your trials. Girl, you are amazing!!!
Love, Mrs. Scarbrough
Dear Korrine,
We have not personally met but I know many of your extended family members.
Your courage and testimony of strength and hope are awesome to hear! Your heart for God and love for people is amazing.
Our family will pray for you as will many in our church family at Redwood Chapel in Castro Valley.
We have recently experienced God's care,intervention and protection during some difficult times and will pray for those same things for you.
Doug Tegner
Sweet girl -
You are amazing
You are a testament
You are loved
You are strong
You are beautiful
You are amazing
You are not in this alone
You are an inspiration to us all!
Cristi, Kevin, Jason & Ryan
Hey Korrine!
I'm so happy to hear that you had a good day! You are one amazing young lady, and we can all learn from you.
Stay strong-
Thinking of you and praying with you.
Love,
Sue Bakalar
You don't know me but an ANGEL sent me your blog to read and asked me to say a prayer for you, so I am and asking others to do the same.... After reading your blog, it sounds/looks like you have some awesome friends and FAMILY! So just to let you know there are people out here in this world you have never met and are praying for you everyday sweetie. As a mother of 4 teenagers you never want your babies to grow up, but you don't want them to hurt either.... so my lil angel I will be praying for you everyday, min. hr. and all I can say is stay STRONG!
love always the
Macbunch2003@yahoo.com
Keep on fighting, Korrine! With Jesus on your side you are going to make it through!!! You're in my thoughts and prayers.
Korrine,
You are a beautiful girl who has many people praying for you. Know the Lord is with you and he will give you peace and comfort. Stay strong and win the race with Jesus by your side.
Hi Korrine,
You are in our thoughts and prayers every day.
...That was great news about the bone scan! Also, it sounds like you are handling the chemo like the trooper we know you are.
You are an inspiration to everyone around you.
Stay strong, keep up the good fight, and get well soon.
We're looking forward to seeing you back in the pool when you are ready!
Love,
The Dimits family
Natalie, Janet, Elizabeth, Andris
Hi Korrine,
I'm very happy to hear that you had a good day. Hope the Chinese food was yummy.
Love,
Emma
Hi Korrine,
well i hope you get better and don't worry it will all be ok i know you will pull through. i really hope you feel better!
Happy New Year!!!
Cousin:
It is so up-lifting to visit your web-site and see all of the wonderful things that people have to say about you. You are so special, and God has such huge plans for your life! We love you so much and are lifting you up every day in prayer.
Troy
Hi Korrine, Sean, Matt and Dana,
Thank you for your kind words about Stu, I will make sure they are passed on to Sheri and Hunter.
Tom Hughes
Dear Korrine and family,
I am a teacher at Canyon and I have met you a while back. My family and I are thinking of you and yours. You are in our prayers and I can't wait to hear better and better news. When I see your dad around Canyon smiling that big smile of his, I will know you are doing great. Your website ROCKS.
With best wishes,
Kirk Lawrence and family
You are in my prayers, you're a tough cookie, and God's got you right in the palm of His hand. I'll be praying without ceasing!
Hey Korrine,
How are you doing? I just finished my NaNo, I am sure yours is great. School has been pretty good. I am looking forward to seeing you at promotion. It will be amazing, and then we will be at Granada. Finally!You have been in Juliana and my prayers.Both of us are wanting to see you so bad, you are so funny and make everyone feel so comfortable. Get well soon so that I can see your awesome Christmas converse.Haha! Those are so great!
See you soon.
Love, Anja
Post a Comment