
"Let no one ever come to you without leaving better and happier. Be the living expression of God's kindness; kindness in your face, kindness in your eyes, kindness in your smile, kindness in your warm greeting."
Mother Teresa
Mother Teresa
Smile
Cancer stripped her of everything including her life but it could not steal away God's LOVE, PEACE and the JOY that radiated through her. Korrine never stopped SMILING!
Korrine Lannie Croghan
Korrine Croghan was a vivacious 14-year-old girl who lived all of her life in Livermore, CA. She had a love for animals, sports, and most of all, family. Korrine was a straight “A” student while attending Mendenhall Middle School and was working hard in her first trimester at Granada High. She was a great friend to many and was everything that a brother, mother and father could ask for in a daughter. Korrine was the type of girl who would greet you with a wide smile and look into your eyes and truly would want to know how you were doing
Korrine & Cancer
On December 20th, 2007, Korrine was diagnosed with Choriocarcinoma with a germ cell element. Choriocarcinoma is a very rare type of cancer in teenage girls and inflicts less than 200 nationwide each year. Although the cancer started in her left ovary, the cancer had spread to her right ovary, lungs and liver. After the removal of a cantaloupe sized tumor in her left ovary on December 21st of 2007, Korrine, endured 10 months of intense chemotherapy designed for adult men.
During the course of her treatment, Korrine suffered many complications. In early April of 2007, her liver began to bleed. After staying at Kaiser Oakland for almost two weeks, Korrine was transfered to UCSF and spent a month in the intensive care unit. The doctors at UCSF Medical Center were finally able to stop her bleeding liver, but, not before it filled her abdomen with 5 liters of blood that had to be drained via a tube inserted into her stomach. On top of that, both of Korrines’ lungs collapsed while undergoing a CT scan that almost took her life. Because of that, 2 liters of fluid needed to be drained off of her lungs with the use of another drainage tube. Throughout her treatment Korrine needed numerous blood and platelet transfusions. She had nosebleeds that lasted an hour on several occasions. At one point, she had 18 intravenous tubes running through her body filled with anti-bacterials, anti-fungals, nutrition, painkillers and chemotherapy. Korrine miraculously made it through those tough days at UCSF and returned to Kaiser Hospital in Oakland. She was finally stable and was released to go home in late June. Just as things were starting to look up for her, she suffered septic shock in July that forced her to go back into intensive care at Kaiser in Santa Clara for 2 weeks.
Korrine returned home in late July and went through imaging scans to see if the cancer had disappeared. The scans always came back good, but not great. In an effort to kill and stop the remaining cancer cells, she underwent an emergency round of chemotherapy in early September. Unfortunately, it did kill the remaining cancer and her doctors had run out of options.
Korrine spent her last days at home with her family reading books and loving on her cats and dog. She passed away quietly, at home, on October 27th, 2008. Through it all, Korrine had a positive attitude and never gave up or complained. Many consider Korrine a hero.
Team KC
The Team KC website was originally started as a way to encourage, educate, raise awareness, and keep friends and family informed with accurate information on Korrine's treatment and progress. Family, classmates, friends, community members, and complete strangers rallied to support Korrine and her family through her fight against Choriocarcinoma. We were amazed by the amount of support we received, and it is now our desire to give back. In March, 2009, Team KC became an official nonprofit by joining forces with Kaiser Foundation Hospital. All monies raised by Team KC will directly benefit pediatric cancer patients and their families. All monetary contributions are tax deductible.
Our Mission: To help improve the quality of life of pediatric cancer patients and their families. We wish to supply children with fun activities, toys and anything else that will brighten and better their lives. Monies will also be used to help parents pay for bills and defray the costs of gas, food and lodging that go along with caring for a child with cancer.
Stay Positive, LIVESTRONG & Welcome to Team KC!
*This is the official Team KC website and the only website approved by the Croghan family. Please do not use content, images, or video from this site without permission. This is an effort to respect the family's privacy and ensure that all content is accurate and approved. Thank you for your cooperation.
Korrine Croghan was a vivacious 14-year-old girl who lived all of her life in Livermore, CA. She had a love for animals, sports, and most of all, family. Korrine was a straight “A” student while attending Mendenhall Middle School and was working hard in her first trimester at Granada High. She was a great friend to many and was everything that a brother, mother and father could ask for in a daughter. Korrine was the type of girl who would greet you with a wide smile and look into your eyes and truly would want to know how you were doing
Korrine & Cancer
On December 20th, 2007, Korrine was diagnosed with Choriocarcinoma with a germ cell element. Choriocarcinoma is a very rare type of cancer in teenage girls and inflicts less than 200 nationwide each year. Although the cancer started in her left ovary, the cancer had spread to her right ovary, lungs and liver. After the removal of a cantaloupe sized tumor in her left ovary on December 21st of 2007, Korrine, endured 10 months of intense chemotherapy designed for adult men.
During the course of her treatment, Korrine suffered many complications. In early April of 2007, her liver began to bleed. After staying at Kaiser Oakland for almost two weeks, Korrine was transfered to UCSF and spent a month in the intensive care unit. The doctors at UCSF Medical Center were finally able to stop her bleeding liver, but, not before it filled her abdomen with 5 liters of blood that had to be drained via a tube inserted into her stomach. On top of that, both of Korrines’ lungs collapsed while undergoing a CT scan that almost took her life. Because of that, 2 liters of fluid needed to be drained off of her lungs with the use of another drainage tube. Throughout her treatment Korrine needed numerous blood and platelet transfusions. She had nosebleeds that lasted an hour on several occasions. At one point, she had 18 intravenous tubes running through her body filled with anti-bacterials, anti-fungals, nutrition, painkillers and chemotherapy. Korrine miraculously made it through those tough days at UCSF and returned to Kaiser Hospital in Oakland. She was finally stable and was released to go home in late June. Just as things were starting to look up for her, she suffered septic shock in July that forced her to go back into intensive care at Kaiser in Santa Clara for 2 weeks.
Korrine returned home in late July and went through imaging scans to see if the cancer had disappeared. The scans always came back good, but not great. In an effort to kill and stop the remaining cancer cells, she underwent an emergency round of chemotherapy in early September. Unfortunately, it did kill the remaining cancer and her doctors had run out of options.
Korrine spent her last days at home with her family reading books and loving on her cats and dog. She passed away quietly, at home, on October 27th, 2008. Through it all, Korrine had a positive attitude and never gave up or complained. Many consider Korrine a hero.
Team KC
The Team KC website was originally started as a way to encourage, educate, raise awareness, and keep friends and family informed with accurate information on Korrine's treatment and progress. Family, classmates, friends, community members, and complete strangers rallied to support Korrine and her family through her fight against Choriocarcinoma. We were amazed by the amount of support we received, and it is now our desire to give back. In March, 2009, Team KC became an official nonprofit by joining forces with Kaiser Foundation Hospital. All monies raised by Team KC will directly benefit pediatric cancer patients and their families. All monetary contributions are tax deductible.
Our Mission: To help improve the quality of life of pediatric cancer patients and their families. We wish to supply children with fun activities, toys and anything else that will brighten and better their lives. Monies will also be used to help parents pay for bills and defray the costs of gas, food and lodging that go along with caring for a child with cancer.
Stay Positive, LIVESTRONG & Welcome to Team KC!
*This is the official Team KC website and the only website approved by the Croghan family. Please do not use content, images, or video from this site without permission. This is an effort to respect the family's privacy and ensure that all content is accurate and approved. Thank you for your cooperation.
A Note From Korrine (written after her 4th round of Chemo)...
Hello everyone! It's me, Korrine. I just wanted to take a
moment to thank each and every one of you for supporting me through emails,
visits, food, gifts, and most importantly, prayer. Without it, I probably
wouldn't have made it this far. Anyways, on a happier note, I am happy to
announce that I am feeling very good. This last round of chemo hit me pretty
hard, but I think that it is more exiting to end things with a big BANG! I will
try to start writing things for the blog now that my chemo therapy is over, but
until then, just know that I love every single one of you and I am always
thinking about my family, friends, and even the people who I've never met
before. Thanks for joining my battle and for making this experience "The
Experience of a Lifetime." LIVESTRONG! And stay positive.
Korrine Lannie Croghan
Hello everyone! It's me, Korrine. I just wanted to take a
moment to thank each and every one of you for supporting me through emails,
visits, food, gifts, and most importantly, prayer. Without it, I probably
wouldn't have made it this far. Anyways, on a happier note, I am happy to
announce that I am feeling very good. This last round of chemo hit me pretty
hard, but I think that it is more exiting to end things with a big BANG! I will
try to start writing things for the blog now that my chemo therapy is over, but
until then, just know that I love every single one of you and I am always
thinking about my family, friends, and even the people who I've never met
before. Thanks for joining my battle and for making this experience "The
Experience of a Lifetime." LIVESTRONG! And stay positive.
Korrine Lannie Croghan
Thursday, January 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
23 comments:
Korrine!
What a heartfelt thing to do! A video message form you was the best gift I have ever received. The power you have from your presence is mind blowing.
Here I was stomping around the house because the phone wasn't working...seeing what your challenge is put it all into perspective. You are Gods vehicle!
We love you! trish, jeff and Adam.
Korrine:
You are a tech stud muffinette! I love the strength and poise you have shown in your blog posts. (I know this...) I am truly impressed with everything you have done and your openness of sharing everything with those who you care about. Our thoughts and prayers are with you daily as we watch you show those around you how much you love them! Keep going and LIVESTRONG!
Kyle Brumbaugh
Good Morning Korrine,
It's Thursday and I just listened to your amazing real time message and just want to say THANK YOU for allowing us to pray and to be a part of this journey with you and your, mom, dad & Sean.
We are very positive that you beat this and thank the Lord for the strength He has given you!
"I can do ALL things through Christ who strengthens me!" Phillipians 4:13. He does give us strength & peace when we put our trust in Him :)
Go Cal, Go Korrine, Go Team KC :)
Much love to you and the team today!
Auntie Denise
Hi Korrine,
We are friends of Betsy Wilson's adn just wanted you to know we are praying for you here in San Diego and our family in Sri Lanka is praying for you too. If you want to visit the rain forest or Africa or Panama visit our website and look at the paintings...www.gaminiratnavira.comwhen I took care of my great g'ma for 12 years I would decorate her room with the prints of his work to cheer her up. We admire your strength and healing attitude and will remember you in our daily thoughts and prayers.
Sincerely,
Lisa, Gamini, Beau, Natalie & Brooks
Hi Korrine
My gramma just showed me the hi- tech video of you.
You look so cute. I'm so glad to be your cousin. I know you are going to get really better. You make me want to play water polo. I think I would like that. Gramma Jans cat is bald too. She looks funny, you look beautiful. I really mean that.
See you soon.
your cousin
Jordan
Korrine,
I am so proud of you. You are amazing! I love your expressive face! You are so genuine and kind. The light of Jesus shines from your eyes!
Keep fighting the good fight!
Live Strong!
Love,
Shellee
Hi Korrine~
WOW... Girl, YOU ROCK!! What an incredible thing to do for us. Thank you. I cannot tell you how proud I am to know you, and I can NOT wait to see what you're going to do once you beat this cancer. Stay strong and know you and your family remain in my thoughts and prayers.
Love ya~
Sue Bakalar
Korrine-
You are amazing person. Thank you for showing us what grace and courage really looks like. You keep fighting and we will keep praying for you.
The Xaviers Ed,Liz,Jessica,and Joe
Hi Korrine!
I'm another friend from Castro Valley that has known your dad and uncle for quite a few years. You truly are an inspiration to all of us! Your video was quite a pleasant surprise today. Your strength and willingness to share your journey with all of us says so much about you and your family. Your beautiful smile continues to put smiles on all of us. We will continue to keep you in our prayers. Thank you for sharing your love with all of us! Love, Pat Eppard
I want to thank Korrine for making us more aware of children's cancer and for the encouragement that we can beat this disease because of Doctors and Nurses who care and give their all every day to save the lives of children. Kaiser's Oncology Team and Nurses are saving lives and we "THANK YOU", "THANK YOU", "THANK YOU".
The Croghan's
Korrine-
Everyday I check your blog for updates and today in watching your video it caused me to tear up. Happy tears. To see how strong, mature, beautiful and faithful you are is amazing. You are an encouragement to many and an example to all of us. An example of what true faith is. Trusting in God no matter what the circumstance is because he is in control. He will never give us more then we can handle. Keep smiling! My pray for you is that God will use you in great ways( he already is) and that you will continue to stay strong.
Always in my prayers
Kristi Southwick
KORRINE, YOU ARE AWESOME AND SO BEAUTIFUL WITH YOUR NEW HAIRDO....JOSHUA 1:9 SAYS, "BE STRONG AND COURAGEOUS. DO NOT BE TERRIFIED; DO NOT BE DISCOURAGED, FOR THE LORD YOUR GOD WILL BE WITH YOU WHEREVER YOU GO".
I SEE JESUS IN YOUR BEAUTIFUL FACE. LIFTING YOU UP IN PRAYER DAILY. SENDING OUR LOVE AND FAITH.
PAULA ROLLINS AND FAMILY
Hi Korrine,
I loved seeing your video. You look great and your smile permeates the screen! I continue to pray for you daily and know that God is watching over you and your family. It is truly amazing to see the number of people that love you and your family. What a gift all of them are! I'll continue to be positive and there's not question that you will!
Love, Mrs. Scarbrough
Hi Korrine,
Wow! I loved your video. You look great and your smile is radiant! It is amazing how many people have reached out to you and your family. What a blessing all of you are to all those folks. You are a true testament to God. I continue to pray for you daily.
Keep up your positive spirit! God loves you!
Mrs. Scarbrough
Dear Croghan Family~
You are so lucky to be inthe care of the Kaiser Oncology group. That is where my son was treated for 3 years for leukemia. The nurses and doctors there ROCK!! Korrine, how i loved watching your video. You are a darling girl, with such strength.
Susie Loomis
Hi Korrine,
Hope you are having a good day so far. Your dad was at our house yesterday and I heard you guys had fun making some more videos. That laptop is awesome!
Jenner is in town from Hawaii and his basketball team is playing against a college is Belmont so I'm going to go watch him play tonight. I'll make sure to tell everyone hi for you.
Anyway, I just wanted to tell you that I love you and I'm so happy that this round of chemo has been so much better than last time. Hopefully you have shown Carmen her picture on here. She's going to be so excited. We need to get a better picture because my camera phone doesn't do her justice. She's a cutie.
Anyway, I'm going to go look at my new house in Livermore now. Have a beautiful day.
LIVESTRONG,
Tristen
Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or discouraged....with us is the Lord our God to help us and to fight our battles.
2 Chronicles 32:7,8
A special "Thank You" to the McClay family Cyndy, Kevin, Greg and Nick for being such great neighbors and for all your love, support and help. You are always their when we need you and you have been great neighbors and we love all of you and Thank You for everything. Taking down Christmas lights, cleaning, taking care of animals, meals, and always just being a phone call away or 10 steps away the list goes on. We appreciate you and are thankful you are such supportive and great neighbors and friends.
Love Your Neighbors,
The Croghan Family
Dana, Matt, Korrine and Sean
Hi Korrine!
We loved your video...your strength shines through and we are so happy that things are going better this round. We are thinking of you every day and looking forward to seeing you when this is all behind you!
All our love and prayers, Nina and Mary Hayes
Korrine - Your strength, positive attitude and big smile continues to amaze us all! You are such an incredible girl and I hope you know how many lives you are changing through your brave battle. Keep smiling and thank you for the video. I love that your spark is still shining strong!
Love,
Betsy Wilson and family
Hello, Sweetie!
Katie and I just watched your video and she was smiling the entire time and said, "That is soooo Korrine!" when it finished playing.
You are very special, but everyone already knows that. :) We love you and your family and can't wait to see you when you are up for a visit. We know that you need plenty of rest right now and it is super to hear that you're tolerating this 2nd round of chemo so much better than the first treatment!
Your deep faith and awesomely positive attitude are going to triumph over this illness. And, you ARE beautiful with or without your hair! (Would you like me to snip some hair off of Katherine's head when she's sleeping and bring it to you? ;)
I hope it comforts you to know that Katherine told our church about you 2 wks. ago, and again today, we gave the congregation an update and everyone at the Unitarian Universalist Church in Livermore is holding you in their hearts, sending you healing thoughts, and praying for you and your beautiful family.
You are living STRONG and we are all blessed to know you and you are teaching all of us so much by the amazing way you are handling your illness.
GO TEAM KC! xoxoxo
Much love,
Victoria, Steve, Christopher, Stephanie, Alison & Katherine
Korrine:
Round #2 done!
Each time I watch your video I am reminded of your grace and courage through all of this. Thank you for telling us to remain positive!
I have something very special to bring to you, I can't wait to see you and your face when you see it.
Our prayers are for you and your family.
Trish, Jeff and Adam
dear korrine
i hope you get better soon. we've all been thinking about you and i hope you can get through cancer easily.
from,
sebastian, sean's friend
Post a Comment