"Let no one ever come to you without leaving better and happier. Be the living expression of God's kindness; kindness in your face, kindness in your eyes, kindness in your smile, kindness in your warm greeting."
Mother Teresa

Smile

Cancer stripped her of everything including her life but it could not steal away God's LOVE, PEACE and the JOY that radiated through her. Korrine never stopped SMILING!
Korrine Lannie Croghan

Korrine Croghan was a vivacious 14-year-old girl who lived all of her life in Livermore, CA. She had a love for animals, sports, and most of all, family. Korrine was a straight “A” student while attending Mendenhall Middle School and was working hard in her first trimester at Granada High. She was a great friend to many and was everything that a brother, mother and father could ask for in a daughter. Korrine was the type of girl who would greet you with a wide smile and look into your eyes and truly would want to know how you were doing

Korrine & Cancer

On December 20th, 2007, Korrine was diagnosed with Choriocarcinoma with a germ cell element. Choriocarcinoma is a very rare type of cancer in teenage girls and inflicts less than 200 nationwide each year. Although the cancer started in her left ovary, the cancer had spread to her right ovary, lungs and liver. After the removal of a cantaloupe sized tumor in her left ovary on December 21st of 2007, Korrine, endured 10 months of intense chemotherapy designed for adult men.

During the course of her treatment, Korrine suffered many complications. In early April of 2007, her liver began to bleed. After staying at Kaiser Oakland for almost two weeks, Korrine was transfered to UCSF and spent a month in the intensive care unit. The doctors at UCSF Medical Center were finally able to stop her bleeding liver, but, not before it filled her abdomen with 5 liters of blood that had to be drained via a tube inserted into her stomach. On top of that, both of Korrines’ lungs collapsed while undergoing a CT scan that almost took her life. Because of that, 2 liters of fluid needed to be drained off of her lungs with the use of another drainage tube. Throughout her treatment Korrine needed numerous blood and platelet transfusions. She had nosebleeds that lasted an hour on several occasions. At one point, she had 18 intravenous tubes running through her body filled with anti-bacterials, anti-fungals, nutrition, painkillers and chemotherapy. Korrine miraculously made it through those tough days at UCSF and returned to Kaiser Hospital in Oakland. She was finally stable and was released to go home in late June. Just as things were starting to look up for her, she suffered septic shock in July that forced her to go back into intensive care at Kaiser in Santa Clara for 2 weeks.

Korrine returned home in late July and went through imaging scans to see if the cancer had disappeared. The scans always came back good, but not great. In an effort to kill and stop the remaining cancer cells, she underwent an emergency round of chemotherapy in early September. Unfortunately, it did kill the remaining cancer and her doctors had run out of options.

Korrine spent her last days at home with her family reading books and loving on her cats and dog. She passed away quietly, at home, on October 27th, 2008. Through it all, Korrine had a positive attitude and never gave up or complained. Many consider Korrine a hero.

Team KC

The Team KC website was originally started as a way to encourage, educate, raise awareness, and keep friends and family informed with accurate information on Korrine's treatment and progress. Family, classmates, friends, community members, and complete strangers rallied to support Korrine and her family through her fight against Choriocarcinoma. We were amazed by the amount of support we received, and it is now our desire to give back. In March, 2009, Team KC became an official nonprofit by joining forces with Kaiser Foundation Hospital. All monies raised by Team KC will directly benefit pediatric cancer patients and their families. All monetary contributions are tax deductible.

Our Mission: To help improve the quality of life of pediatric cancer patients and their families. We wish to supply children with fun activities, toys and anything else that will brighten and better their lives. Monies will also be used to help parents pay for bills and defray the costs of gas, food and lodging that go along with caring for a child with cancer.

Stay Positive, LIVESTRONG & Welcome to Team KC!

*This is the official Team KC website and the only website approved by the Croghan family. Please do not use content, images, or video from this site without permission. This is an effort to respect the family's privacy and ensure that all content is accurate and approved. Thank you for your cooperation.
A Note From Korrine (written after her 4th round of Chemo)...

Hello everyone! It's me, Korrine. I just wanted to take a
moment to thank each and every one of you for supporting me through emails,
visits, food, gifts, and most importantly, prayer. Without it, I probably
wouldn't have made it this far. Anyways, on a happier note, I am happy to
announce that I am feeling very good. This last round of chemo hit me pretty
hard, but I think that it is more exiting to end things with a big BANG! I will
try to start writing things for the blog now that my chemo therapy is over, but
until then, just know that I love every single one of you and I am always
thinking about my family, friends, and even the people who I've never met
before. Thanks for joining my battle and for making this experience "The
Experience of a Lifetime." LIVESTRONG! And stay positive.

Korrine Lannie Croghan

Monday, January 21, 2008

30 Days!

Today celebrates 1 month since Korrine's diagnosis and surgery. Below is a picture of Korrine's "Beads of Courage." The "Beads of Courage" is a program for cancer patients. Each time something happens to them they receive a bead which represent things like chemo, a stay in the hospital, needle pokes, blood draws, blood transfusions, and the list goes on and on... It is like a memory timeline for the children and something that Korrine will keep forever.

We have learned so much in this first 30 days, but we know that it is only the beginning. For all of the swimmers out there, let's think about it like this: "This is not a 500. It’s longer than a 1650 - And we can’t do it “no breathing." (Quoted by one Uncle Steve)

We feel so blessed because in the first "500 yards" alone; our faith has been strengthened, we have come even closer as a family and we already seen miracles. Thank you for you prayers...please keep them coming!

LIVESTRONG,
The Croghan Family

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Korrine, I love the "do"! You have such a beautiful face and spirit, you don't need hair!! I have a friend who went through chemo and lost her hair. Hers wasn't thick like yours, it was blond and whispy. Well, 17 years later, her hair is so thick, long and gorgeous, it'd make Brad Pitt jealous!!!
My family and I will be thinking and praying for you through this next round of chemo. Stay strong sweetheart. To the rest of the Croghan family, you are truly amazing!
Kristi Haskins and family (Smith parent, Dana fan, and pal to Sean)

Shellee Clore said...

Korrine,
Your mom was just at my house and showed me your beads of courage. That is such a wonderful idea. You are courageous and you live strong! Keep fighting the good fight! TEAM KC WILL WIN!!I love you.

Shellee

Anonymous said...

You're awesome Korrine. You are incredibly strong, i think the strongest person i know. Every time i think and pray for you i'm reminded of your immense stregth and your beautiful smile. keep it up girl, we love you!!!!!
go TEAM KC!!!
-Jaclyn Rice

Anonymous said...

Korrine-
I think of you daily, and I so encouraged by your strength. I think of Joshua in the Bible...and how he listened to the Lord for guidance even though what he was facing was terrifying. A verse that has helped me through some very difficult times, and I am sure you have heard it, but this is a powerful verse: Joshua 1:9 Have I not commanded you to be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not get discouraged, for the Lord Your God will be with you wherever you go.

I know you are going to win this race, and you are going ot be sucha strong person after this is over. I continue to pray for you daily. If you ever want to chat give me a call...I am going to try to visit you soon when I am home!
I love you!

Love,
Amy Rice

Anonymous said...

Dear Korrinne,

We've never met but I am supporting you from a distance. I too had choriocarcinoma and underwent treatment and surgery. So I understand what you are going through. It is difficult, even though you have an army of supportive friends and family to see you through this time. Already, you are survivor and a thriver! Keep doing your best, "Angels can do no more". Sending love and prayers from the heartland.
Lola K. Bogue
St. Louis, Missouri

Anonymous said...

hello korrine.....
round two begins....know we are so with you every step of the way.we love you so much and your family too and we all continue to pull together with optimism.you are gods vehicle for faith, hope, and our teacher that he assigned to teach us about how precious life is. thank you for your gift.
trish, jeff and adam

Anonymous said...

Hey Korriney,
You are beautiful with or without hair because your beauty is the light that everyone sees through your smile that's imprinted from your heart! You keep fighting through this next round and we all continue to pray throughout every day! We love you honey!
The Dahl Family

Anonymous said...

Thank you from the bottom of our hearts for all the meals, cards, gifts, kind words, prayers, support and love. We are deeply thankful and moved by our friends, family and community. We are truly blessed by all of you and look forward to giving back to you whenever you need us. Thank you for everything.
Love For Eternity,
Dana Croghan

Anonymous said...

Korrine and Family,

I didn't know of you until Kirsten Dahl shared your story and blog with me. Just wanted to let you know what an inspiration you all are. You are in our prayers and I will pass the Team KC message on to others. God's love and grace is so powerful. Blessings to you Korrine, and your family.

Anonymous said...

omg korrine i love your bracelet i am making one just like that says korrine and livestrong with the colors orange and pink if you ever make more bracelets keep this in mind i looked up what colors stand for and red stands for excitment blue stands for peace orange stands for encouragment green stands for nature and purple stands for royaltiy gray stands for security brown stands for outdoors and pink stands for love you should be treated like purple and we all send lots of pink and orange we all love you korrine and we are all rooting for you i will wear my bracelet evreyday and think about you we are all rooting for you

signed mary

Anonymous said...

Hey Korrine,
You don't know me, but I was a student of your dad's. I think you are a very brave person. I'm not really sure what to say....but I would like you to know that I admire your bravery and courage. (I don't think I would be able to shave my hair) =-) I give you my best wishes!

Anonymous said...

Hey Korriney,
I can't say how awesome it was to see you and hear your lovely words. That was such a special gift to all your loved ones. I know first hand how much Taylor appreciated it as I watched her sitting at the library today reading it for the first time with tears running down her face. I know they were tears of joy and happiness seeing your strength and positive spirit shine through. Thank you and Praise God!!!! We love you. xoxo
The Dahl's

Anonymous said...

Hi there! It's Laura, a friend of Sue Bakalar's. Just wanted to drop in and say hello. Good luck to you! You are a great example of being positive...