When saying your daily prayers for Korrine, please remember to include the rest of the children and families around the world who are battling cancer. We are all in this together!
I Love you,
Dana
"Let no one ever come to you without leaving better and happier. Be the living expression of God's kindness; kindness in your face, kindness in your eyes, kindness in your smile, kindness in your warm greeting."
Mother Teresa
Mother Teresa
Smile
Cancer stripped her of everything including her life but it could not steal away God's LOVE, PEACE and the JOY that radiated through her. Korrine never stopped SMILING!
Korrine Lannie Croghan
Korrine Croghan was a vivacious 14-year-old girl who lived all of her life in Livermore, CA. She had a love for animals, sports, and most of all, family. Korrine was a straight “A” student while attending Mendenhall Middle School and was working hard in her first trimester at Granada High. She was a great friend to many and was everything that a brother, mother and father could ask for in a daughter. Korrine was the type of girl who would greet you with a wide smile and look into your eyes and truly would want to know how you were doing
Korrine & Cancer
On December 20th, 2007, Korrine was diagnosed with Choriocarcinoma with a germ cell element. Choriocarcinoma is a very rare type of cancer in teenage girls and inflicts less than 200 nationwide each year. Although the cancer started in her left ovary, the cancer had spread to her right ovary, lungs and liver. After the removal of a cantaloupe sized tumor in her left ovary on December 21st of 2007, Korrine, endured 10 months of intense chemotherapy designed for adult men.
During the course of her treatment, Korrine suffered many complications. In early April of 2007, her liver began to bleed. After staying at Kaiser Oakland for almost two weeks, Korrine was transfered to UCSF and spent a month in the intensive care unit. The doctors at UCSF Medical Center were finally able to stop her bleeding liver, but, not before it filled her abdomen with 5 liters of blood that had to be drained via a tube inserted into her stomach. On top of that, both of Korrines’ lungs collapsed while undergoing a CT scan that almost took her life. Because of that, 2 liters of fluid needed to be drained off of her lungs with the use of another drainage tube. Throughout her treatment Korrine needed numerous blood and platelet transfusions. She had nosebleeds that lasted an hour on several occasions. At one point, she had 18 intravenous tubes running through her body filled with anti-bacterials, anti-fungals, nutrition, painkillers and chemotherapy. Korrine miraculously made it through those tough days at UCSF and returned to Kaiser Hospital in Oakland. She was finally stable and was released to go home in late June. Just as things were starting to look up for her, she suffered septic shock in July that forced her to go back into intensive care at Kaiser in Santa Clara for 2 weeks.
Korrine returned home in late July and went through imaging scans to see if the cancer had disappeared. The scans always came back good, but not great. In an effort to kill and stop the remaining cancer cells, she underwent an emergency round of chemotherapy in early September. Unfortunately, it did kill the remaining cancer and her doctors had run out of options.
Korrine spent her last days at home with her family reading books and loving on her cats and dog. She passed away quietly, at home, on October 27th, 2008. Through it all, Korrine had a positive attitude and never gave up or complained. Many consider Korrine a hero.
Team KC
The Team KC website was originally started as a way to encourage, educate, raise awareness, and keep friends and family informed with accurate information on Korrine's treatment and progress. Family, classmates, friends, community members, and complete strangers rallied to support Korrine and her family through her fight against Choriocarcinoma. We were amazed by the amount of support we received, and it is now our desire to give back. In March, 2009, Team KC became an official nonprofit by joining forces with Kaiser Foundation Hospital. All monies raised by Team KC will directly benefit pediatric cancer patients and their families. All monetary contributions are tax deductible.
Our Mission: To help improve the quality of life of pediatric cancer patients and their families. We wish to supply children with fun activities, toys and anything else that will brighten and better their lives. Monies will also be used to help parents pay for bills and defray the costs of gas, food and lodging that go along with caring for a child with cancer.
Stay Positive, LIVESTRONG & Welcome to Team KC!
*This is the official Team KC website and the only website approved by the Croghan family. Please do not use content, images, or video from this site without permission. This is an effort to respect the family's privacy and ensure that all content is accurate and approved. Thank you for your cooperation.
Korrine Croghan was a vivacious 14-year-old girl who lived all of her life in Livermore, CA. She had a love for animals, sports, and most of all, family. Korrine was a straight “A” student while attending Mendenhall Middle School and was working hard in her first trimester at Granada High. She was a great friend to many and was everything that a brother, mother and father could ask for in a daughter. Korrine was the type of girl who would greet you with a wide smile and look into your eyes and truly would want to know how you were doing
Korrine & Cancer
On December 20th, 2007, Korrine was diagnosed with Choriocarcinoma with a germ cell element. Choriocarcinoma is a very rare type of cancer in teenage girls and inflicts less than 200 nationwide each year. Although the cancer started in her left ovary, the cancer had spread to her right ovary, lungs and liver. After the removal of a cantaloupe sized tumor in her left ovary on December 21st of 2007, Korrine, endured 10 months of intense chemotherapy designed for adult men.
During the course of her treatment, Korrine suffered many complications. In early April of 2007, her liver began to bleed. After staying at Kaiser Oakland for almost two weeks, Korrine was transfered to UCSF and spent a month in the intensive care unit. The doctors at UCSF Medical Center were finally able to stop her bleeding liver, but, not before it filled her abdomen with 5 liters of blood that had to be drained via a tube inserted into her stomach. On top of that, both of Korrines’ lungs collapsed while undergoing a CT scan that almost took her life. Because of that, 2 liters of fluid needed to be drained off of her lungs with the use of another drainage tube. Throughout her treatment Korrine needed numerous blood and platelet transfusions. She had nosebleeds that lasted an hour on several occasions. At one point, she had 18 intravenous tubes running through her body filled with anti-bacterials, anti-fungals, nutrition, painkillers and chemotherapy. Korrine miraculously made it through those tough days at UCSF and returned to Kaiser Hospital in Oakland. She was finally stable and was released to go home in late June. Just as things were starting to look up for her, she suffered septic shock in July that forced her to go back into intensive care at Kaiser in Santa Clara for 2 weeks.
Korrine returned home in late July and went through imaging scans to see if the cancer had disappeared. The scans always came back good, but not great. In an effort to kill and stop the remaining cancer cells, she underwent an emergency round of chemotherapy in early September. Unfortunately, it did kill the remaining cancer and her doctors had run out of options.
Korrine spent her last days at home with her family reading books and loving on her cats and dog. She passed away quietly, at home, on October 27th, 2008. Through it all, Korrine had a positive attitude and never gave up or complained. Many consider Korrine a hero.
Team KC
The Team KC website was originally started as a way to encourage, educate, raise awareness, and keep friends and family informed with accurate information on Korrine's treatment and progress. Family, classmates, friends, community members, and complete strangers rallied to support Korrine and her family through her fight against Choriocarcinoma. We were amazed by the amount of support we received, and it is now our desire to give back. In March, 2009, Team KC became an official nonprofit by joining forces with Kaiser Foundation Hospital. All monies raised by Team KC will directly benefit pediatric cancer patients and their families. All monetary contributions are tax deductible.
Our Mission: To help improve the quality of life of pediatric cancer patients and their families. We wish to supply children with fun activities, toys and anything else that will brighten and better their lives. Monies will also be used to help parents pay for bills and defray the costs of gas, food and lodging that go along with caring for a child with cancer.
Stay Positive, LIVESTRONG & Welcome to Team KC!
*This is the official Team KC website and the only website approved by the Croghan family. Please do not use content, images, or video from this site without permission. This is an effort to respect the family's privacy and ensure that all content is accurate and approved. Thank you for your cooperation.
A Note From Korrine (written after her 4th round of Chemo)...
Hello everyone! It's me, Korrine. I just wanted to take a
moment to thank each and every one of you for supporting me through emails,
visits, food, gifts, and most importantly, prayer. Without it, I probably
wouldn't have made it this far. Anyways, on a happier note, I am happy to
announce that I am feeling very good. This last round of chemo hit me pretty
hard, but I think that it is more exiting to end things with a big BANG! I will
try to start writing things for the blog now that my chemo therapy is over, but
until then, just know that I love every single one of you and I am always
thinking about my family, friends, and even the people who I've never met
before. Thanks for joining my battle and for making this experience "The
Experience of a Lifetime." LIVESTRONG! And stay positive.
Korrine Lannie Croghan
Hello everyone! It's me, Korrine. I just wanted to take a
moment to thank each and every one of you for supporting me through emails,
visits, food, gifts, and most importantly, prayer. Without it, I probably
wouldn't have made it this far. Anyways, on a happier note, I am happy to
announce that I am feeling very good. This last round of chemo hit me pretty
hard, but I think that it is more exiting to end things with a big BANG! I will
try to start writing things for the blog now that my chemo therapy is over, but
until then, just know that I love every single one of you and I am always
thinking about my family, friends, and even the people who I've never met
before. Thanks for joining my battle and for making this experience "The
Experience of a Lifetime." LIVESTRONG! And stay positive.
Korrine Lannie Croghan
Saturday, January 5, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

13 comments:
Dana,
It is no surprise that you are concerned about other people who are suffering and to ask us to pray for them when we pray for Korrine. Thank you for reminding us that there are many others in need of prayer, comfort and someone who cares. You are a incredible women of God and a great model for all of us. I am praying for you . . . it is really important that you take care of yourself so you can stay strong too!
Much love to you tonight,
Denise
Hi Korrine,
We just wanted to let you know that you are in our thoughts and prayers every day. You are so strong and we know you will be back in the pool playing h2o polo soon!
Love, Tom, Mary, Andrew, Nina and Matthew Hayes
Dana, I just heard your news and am having trouble coming up with words to express how much love and support I want to send your family. But I do want you to know that I am focusing all my positive thoughts on Korrine's recovery. I know your family is remarkable, from all the sweet stories you have shared with us, and is better prepared than most to handle this challenge. Thanks for keeping us informed of Korrine's progress, and know that you are all in my thoughts.
Love and hugs,
Cheryl M
Dear Croghan Family,
My step-son (Eric Santin) is a lifeguard for the LARPD pools. Although he said he only knows of Korrine and have never met, we still wanted to extend our prayers to your family. Korrine looks like a beautiful and strong young lady. God Bless your family.
The Santin Family
Hi Korrine!
We just wanted to let you know that our thoughts and prayers are with you for a full recovery. You are amazing and we hope to see you one day on the Olympic water polo team!! Caitlin says "miss seeing you in P.E.!"
Hey Korrine it's Madison (Bernstein). Just wanted to say hi and I miss seeing you at school. So, I guess I just check back later to read the blogs!
- Madison
Hi Korrine,
I just wanted to let you know that our whole family is praying for everyday and we all know that you will get better. We miss you so much at school and I can't wait to see you again. Dana, Matt and Sean I just wanted to let you know that you guys are being soo strong. Take care of youself.
Much love,
The Fernandez Family
Hi Korinne!
I am so amazed and encouraged by you and your family's steadfast faith in the Lord. I pray that you'd continue to stay strong!
Hi Korrine,
It's Larissa. I want to let you know that you are in my prayers and also in my family's. I found out about everything yesterday and today Mrs. Johnston showed us your blog. The whole school is thinking about you. Stay strong. :)
Dear Croghan family,
I just heard about Korrine and her battle with cancer. (I'm an old friend of Matt's from MSJ).
I wear my Livestrong everyday, now I have even more reason too. Korrine, keep fighting and Livestrong! You're in my thoughts.
Courtney(Shannon)Barrett
Hi Korrine,
I go to school with Sean. I'm sorry you are sick. It's cool that you LIVESTRONG!
Brianna Haskins Age 8 Smith School
Hi Korrine,
I will pray for you everyday. Your smile is pretty.
Love KAilee Haskins Age 7 Smith School
Ki Korrine,
I've been thinking and praying about you alot. I'm so sorry to see someone your age in this situation. You're not missing anything at school unless you like tests and homework. If you're bored I will go to your teacher and get some homework for you. Seriously.LOL.Get better soon. Stay strong!
Robert Francis
Mendehall 7th grade
Hi Korrine,
I worked with your mom at the tennis club.She is always so proud of her children whenever she talks about you two. Her love for her family is so strong and evident in everything that she does. I've never known anyone as positive as her. Obviously, she carried that trait on over to you! Mother and daughter, beautiful inside and out! Everyone I know is praying for you. As far as New Zealand, Australia and Italy! You are one popular chick! I werar my Livestrong bracelet that Betsey gave me everyday, a constant reminder of you and all the other sick children around the world. You are amazing. Keep smiling girl!
Love Kristi Haskins
I'm also Robbie, Brianna and Kailee's mom
Dana,
You never cease to amaze me! You have got to be the nicest, kindest,
most conciderate, person I have ever met in my life. Well at least for your age! Ha! I know a couple of Grandma's that are pretty nice but they've had a little longer to practice then you! Ha! You are always thinking of others. When Korrine was first in the hospital you called me to ask me how I was doing! You were worried about me! I love you more than you could ever possibly imagine!! We go back along way! Way, way back to the day care days and the big ole black truck! Loading up all those kids so we could take them on a field trip for the day! Getting out that milk crate so they could have a boost to get in so we wouldn't brake our backs. That seems like 100 years ago. All those years of Bible study with Barb and Peg! Good times! Fun! Won't it be interesting to look back on this in another 100 years. Old and in our rocking chairs reflecting on this crazy journey which we will call our lives! Lives that were lived! That we survived through the good times and the bad times. One thing that will always remain the same is our friendship. We have gone through way to much to ever change that. I am here for the long haul. 24/7/365-AM/PM That's when I'm available, in case you need me! I love you!
Shellee
Post a Comment