"Let no one ever come to you without leaving better and happier. Be the living expression of God's kindness; kindness in your face, kindness in your eyes, kindness in your smile, kindness in your warm greeting."
Mother Teresa
Cancer stripped her of everything including her life but it could not steal away God's LOVE, PEACE and the JOY that radiated through her. Korrine never stopped SMILING!
Korrine Lannie Croghan
Korrine Croghan was a vivacious 14-year-old girl who lived all of her life in Livermore, CA. She had a love for animals, sports, and most of all, family. Korrine was a straight “A” student while attending Mendenhall Middle School and was working hard in her first trimester at Granada High. She was a great friend to many and was everything that a brother, mother and father could ask for in a daughter. Korrine was the type of girl who would greet you with a wide smile and look into your eyes and truly would want to know how you were doing
Korrine & Cancer
On December 20th, 2007, Korrine was diagnosed with Choriocarcinoma with a germ cell element. Choriocarcinoma is a very rare type of cancer in teenage girls and inflicts less than 200 nationwide each year. Although the cancer started in her left ovary, the cancer had spread to her right ovary, lungs and liver. After the removal of a cantaloupe sized tumor in her left ovary on December 21st of 2007, Korrine, endured 10 months of intense chemotherapy designed for adult men.
During the course of her treatment, Korrine suffered many complications. In early April of 2007, her liver began to bleed. After staying at Kaiser Oakland for almost two weeks, Korrine was transfered to UCSF and spent a month in the intensive care unit. The doctors at UCSF Medical Center were finally able to stop her bleeding liver, but, not before it filled her abdomen with 5 liters of blood that had to be drained via a tube inserted into her stomach. On top of that, both of Korrines’ lungs collapsed while undergoing a CT scan that almost took her life. Because of that, 2 liters of fluid needed to be drained off of her lungs with the use of another drainage tube. Throughout her treatment Korrine needed numerous blood and platelet transfusions. She had nosebleeds that lasted an hour on several occasions. At one point, she had 18 intravenous tubes running through her body filled with anti-bacterials, anti-fungals, nutrition, painkillers and chemotherapy. Korrine miraculously made it through those tough days at UCSF and returned to Kaiser Hospital in Oakland. She was finally stable and was released to go home in late June. Just as things were starting to look up for her, she suffered septic shock in July that forced her to go back into intensive care at Kaiser in Santa Clara for 2 weeks.
Korrine returned home in late July and went through imaging scans to see if the cancer had disappeared. The scans always came back good, but not great. In an effort to kill and stop the remaining cancer cells, she underwent an emergency round of chemotherapy in early September. Unfortunately, it did kill the remaining cancer and her doctors had run out of options.
Korrine spent her last days at home with her family reading books and loving on her cats and dog. She passed away quietly, at home, on October 27th, 2008. Through it all, Korrine had a positive attitude and never gave up or complained. Many consider Korrine a hero.
Team KC
The Team KC website was originally started as a way to encourage, educate, raise awareness, and keep friends and family informed with accurate information on Korrine's treatment and progress. Family, classmates, friends, community members, and complete strangers rallied to support Korrine and her family through her fight against Choriocarcinoma. We were amazed by the amount of support we received, and it is now our desire to give back. In March, 2009, Team KC became an official nonprofit by joining forces with Kaiser Foundation Hospital. All monies raised by Team KC will directly benefit pediatric cancer patients and their families. All monetary contributions are tax deductible.
Our Mission: To help improve the quality of life of pediatric cancer patients and their families. We wish to supply children with fun activities, toys and anything else that will brighten and better their lives. Monies will also be used to help parents pay for bills and defray the costs of gas, food and lodging that go along with caring for a child with cancer.
Stay Positive, LIVESTRONG & Welcome to Team KC!
*This is the official Team KC website and the only website approved by the Croghan family. Please do not use content, images, or video from this site without permission. This is an effort to respect the family's privacy and ensure that all content is accurate and approved. Thank you for your cooperation.
A Note From Korrine (written after her 4th round of Chemo)...
Hello everyone! It's me, Korrine. I just wanted to take a
moment to thank each and every one of you for supporting me through emails,
visits, food, gifts, and most importantly, prayer. Without it, I probably
wouldn't have made it this far. Anyways, on a happier note, I am happy to
announce that I am feeling very good. This last round of chemo hit me pretty
hard, but I think that it is more exiting to end things with a big BANG! I will
try to start writing things for the blog now that my chemo therapy is over, but
until then, just know that I love every single one of you and I am always
thinking about my family, friends, and even the people who I've never met
before. Thanks for joining my battle and for making this experience "The
Experience of a Lifetime." LIVESTRONG! And stay positive.
Korrine Lannie Croghan
Korrine had a bone scan today and the Doctors confirmed that her bones are CANCER FREE!!! This is a huge answer to prayer. She is still very nauseous and unable to keep much food down. Please pray that she will regain strength and that her stomach will settle so that she can get the rest she needs to battle this disease.
** We are still requesting there be no visitors or phone calls to the hospital **
If you would like to send a private email directly to
Korrine or Matt and Dana, please click
HERE.
We Love you,
The
Croghan Family!
40 comments:
GREAT NEWS!! We are so excited to hear her bones are cancer free! We will keep on prayin'!
Love, Kyle, Janet & Chad
Korinne,
I just heard about what you have been going through and just wanted you to know that I am praying for you and hoping you get to come home soon. Stay strong and trust God...for He never gives us more than we can handle.
Paige Bauer
WHOO WOO! Every step forward...no matter how big or small...is a step in the right direction. Keep the faith strong within you and we'll keep the angels busy with all our prayers! Please give Korrine a big hug from her support system at HCLS!
Love, Keri Brown and family
That is such a relief! Stay strong sweetie and keep the faith. We are all pulling for you and know you have the will to overcome.
Try to keep smilin' sweet girl. We love you!
Kevin, Cristi, Jason & Ryan
XOXO
GREAT NEWS on the bone scan. I'm thinking and praying for you all the time. You are an amazing young lady who is inspiring us all to LIVESTRONG!
hugs, kathy t.
Awesome news!!! I'm so happy to hear about the bone scan! Keep on praying; i love you Korrine!!-Alex
Hi Matt. I just read your email and then clicked to this blog. I'm really happy to hear that Korinne is doing better. She's such a beautiful girl. May God continue to heal and strengthen her and bless you all.
yours,
uzma
Korrine,
We are so glad to hear of the "Good News".
You are a beautiful and strong young lady. We are praying you will be home soon and this will all be over.
Sincerely The Neufelds
Thomas Neufelds family
Wow Great News! The Gooby family and friends are praying for you. You were on my softball team blackbull dogs with Dan. God is Great and faithful. Can't wait til we can hear you sing the anathem at the beg. of softball seasonkick off. We can do all things in CHRIST who strengthens us. The Goobys, Jeff,Renee,Morgan,Hannah,Nate,Jake,and Zak.
thats awesome news!!!
Love the Hammons Family!
We just heard about this and want you all to know that our thoughts and prayers are with you. So happy to hear that Korinne's bone scan came back cancer free, that is wonderful news! Continue to stay strong and beat this!! Always know that you have so many friends and family out here that love you and are praying for you!! Keep that wonderful smile going Korinne, it brings smiles to everyone around you..
Much love,
Kevin, Tamika, Grant, Garrett and Kendra Riddiough
Wooo! Hoooo! Praise God for your healthy bones! Yeah! Isn't God good! He keeps us going! Korrine your cancer has no chance! With HIS stripes YOU ARE HEALED! Praise HIM in advance. There is NOTHING to big for your GOD! Your team of prayer warriors is growing with god speed. Keep fighting the good fight love! LIVE STRONG!
I love you,
Shellee
Hi Mom and Dad :-)
This is awesome! You're gonna kick cancer's butt.
Trevor
Hey Korrine,
Get better kiddo. Also, for a laugh read Daniel Pinkwater's "5 Novels." It's pretty much the most ridiculous thing ever.
Arrash
Hello again Korrine:
I came across this while I was going through some papers at work and I wanted to share it with you.
MY OATH TO YOU...
When you are sad... I will dry your tears.
When you are scared... I will comfort your fears.
When you are worried... I will give you hope.
And when you are lost... And can't see the light,
I shall be your beacon... Shining ever so bright.
This is my oath... I pledge til the end.
Why you may ask?... Because you're my friend.
Signed: GOD
wahooo! thats awesome news. i'm very glad your bones are cancer free! another step forward. :)
emma
Korrine,
We are so happy to hear this good news! We will keep the prayers coming! Stay strong sweet girl! You can beat this thing. You have an abundance of love and care being sent by so many.
Hang in there !
Love, The Walkers: Matt, Clare, Justin, Jack and Andrew (Sean's buddy from Smith)
Korrine,
I was so happy and thankful when I read that your bones were cancer-free.
Many of my coworkers and friends are praying for you even though we do not personally know you.
It is amazing how many people have united together with you in your fight against cancer.
Continue to LIVE STRONG!
Yayy!! You are amazing Korrine, stay strong!
- Allyson
Korinne,
We are so glad to hear this news. We hope the good news will just keep on coming. Sebastian and Sophia said they hope you feel better soon. We continue to think and pray for you and your family.
love,
April, Sebastian, Sophia, & Fabian
Korinne Matt and Dana
My thoughts and prayers are with you all constantly. God bless and hope I can help in some way.
Rob Lefkowitz and Family
Good news! I am so glad to hear there is no cancer in your bones!!! My thoughts have been with you and your family since Friday, the last day of school. As you know we recently went through a medical miracle in our family and I truly believe there are plenty more to go around. Be positive, you are strong, and with all the support and love, we know you will walk away a stronger person. Love to you all. Marna McEnery--Canyon Support Team
Korrine,
Not a day goes by without my thinking of you and saying a few extra prayers. I've ordered more LIVESTRONG bracelets (mine is pretty worn out) and a couple of other little things that will be coming to you soon. I'll have your Uncle Mark deliver them when I get them.
Sending a hug to you! ~kathy t.
hey miss korriney!!!
when my mom went on your blog page for the first time, i was in the other room and i heard your song. all of a sudden i started rockin out because i thought of all the fun times that we had shared in catch phrase and the many other things like boche ball. i think i spelled that right! lol ANYWAYS, when i finally processed after all the crying i did that night how sick you really were. i went straight for my cell phone and sent a forward to all my friends. im not the best typer in the world so if i tell you the whole thing it will take me all night!!!!! so ill just tell you a part of it. well it basicly said that to take a moment and think about and pray for you as i told them what kind of sickness you had inside of you. i got many messages that night saying that people that didnt really even know you that they would pray for you and would be thinking of you daily! i cant even tell you how much i want you to know that god has a will and a plan for your life and is holding you so close to him and is listening to everyones prayers. just keep fighting and ill keep praying. i love you sooooooo much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you are such a God loving girl and you inspire me with that so much!!!!!! i will love to come visit you whenever you are ready just hollar me up and i will be their!!!!!
with love,
taylor
Korinne - didn't know when I saw you at the Kaiser labs what you were going through. I heard through the "Get well, Korinne telephone machine" of your news. If anyone has the spirit to fight this, it's you! I've been thinking and praying for you everyday. God bless you and your family! Your friendly Arroyo Mocho librarian
Korrine,
I am Liz and I know your father because he is a wonderful teacher at Canyon Middle School.
I must say that you are incredibly strong-I don't know many people who would say that "chemo isn't that bad!" May your strength, will and your belief in God keep your spirits up.
Hi Korrine, Matt, Dana and Shawn,
We love you all so much!! and have been updated daily by Mark and Denise. We will continue to pray for healing completely! as soon as your ready for visitors we'll be there. But do know we love you and are praying for you all!!
Stacy Christiansen and family
Our prayers are with Korrine!! We know God has all power and He will bring you through this. It is wonderful that it is not in Korrine's bones!!
Love, The Daly Family
(Josh, McKenna, Cece and Shawn)
Hey Korrine,
I just got back from being out of town and came on here to see how you were doing. I am so happy to hear the good news. From reading the updates and posts i can see that you have continued to fight and to remain positive, and from looking at the pictures presented on this site i can see your smile is as big as ever. You and your family are amazing people, even as you are all fighting and coping with this disease you have all reminded us to remember the countless other who are experiencing the similar situations when we pray for Korrine.
I thought your families letters to the Smith family in regards to Stuarts passing showed your amazing ability to care for others. Haveing been around Sunset for three years i could relate to your guy's kind words about Stu. He will certainty's be missed and not forgotton.
I look froward to reading more updates and you will all continue to be in my thoughts and prayers
Your Buddy at the Front Desk
Steve Vieira
Hey korrine! Last day of Chemo!!!! you are almost there! Well I am not sure if you have got my e- mails but in one of them I wrote that I heard you lose hair during Chemo treatment, so I was going to shave my head too! Then I found out that my hair was to short to donate to make a wig out of it and give it to cancer patients. But I still am going to shave my head. And on a random note, I heard that you like that terriyaki chicken, I love that stuff!!!! At Panda Express of course. Well I look forward to seeing you again.
your friend and team mate, JOEjoe
Hi Korinne,
So glad to hear things are going well. Stay strong and you and your family are in my thoughts!
Caitlin (from LARPD)
Dear Korinne,
Sorry to hear about your illness. We hope with the grace of God your treatment will go well. We are praying for you and your family at this time. Be strong.
Mary Ann and Richard
Grandparents of Christopher and Robert Nilsen
Hey Korrine,
I heard about what's going on and I just wanted to tell you that I'm really sad that I might not see you for a while. I mean, who else am I gonna do CD labs with in science???? But you're getting better, and THAT IS AWESOME!!!!! Please give her a hug from me and remember to stay sweet, Dr. Korrine! =D
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
Amanda See from Science
Hi Korrine! I heard you're doing well, I'm soo happy for you! I can't wait till summer comes and we can swim together again!:D Cause you're amazing I know you can keep strong! Did anything blow over at your house from the storm? Live strong, Korrine and I can't wait to see you again!
Hey Korrine! It's Danielle! I'm so glad to hear that you are doing better. I've been looking at all of the updates and will keep doing so! I'm sad to hear that I may not see you for a while, but glad to hear of your progress. I miss having you around in math!!
Love,
Danielle Pierce
Well, it's raining again. T.T I don't like the rain....and they still made us run in first period PE!! GRR!!!
I hope that I can see you again sometime because u are an AWESUM person to have around!!!
lots o love (can't do the hearts won't work on this keyboard)
Amanda Panda
Hi Korrine,
My new mother in law (Maggi Cathey) sent me an email asking for prayers for you and your family. I have been running marathons and raising money for Leukemia since 2002. I have been trying to decide if I wanted to join this year and raise money for cancer, and I have found my answer.
I am humbled by your strength and I will pray for you and your family during this fight that you face. I will also pray that people are touched by your story and make time to give to the many people who are in true need!
God bless you.
With love,
Marcie and Dave and Jake
hey Korinne
i just want to tell u that me and my mom are thinking about you!!!! :-)
LOVE THE LEON FAMILY
YYYYEEEESSS!!! You did it! I'm so proud,even though I don't know you! GO GO GO!!! WIN WIN WIN!!
You look GREAT Korrine! Bald is beautiful. I'm sporting my LIVESTRONG bracelet and everytime I see it there on my wrist I say a prayer for you. You are an inspiration to me and my family and we are so proud of you. I can't wait to see you again and be on the other end of that strong handshake of yours. BE STRONG!
K.J. Forbes
Post a Comment