"Let no one ever come to you without leaving better and happier. Be the living expression of God's kindness; kindness in your face, kindness in your eyes, kindness in your smile, kindness in your warm greeting."
Mother Teresa
Cancer stripped her of everything including her life but it could not steal away God's LOVE, PEACE and the JOY that radiated through her. Korrine never stopped SMILING!
Korrine Lannie Croghan
Korrine Croghan was a vivacious 14-year-old girl who lived all of her life in Livermore, CA. She had a love for animals, sports, and most of all, family. Korrine was a straight “A” student while attending Mendenhall Middle School and was working hard in her first trimester at Granada High. She was a great friend to many and was everything that a brother, mother and father could ask for in a daughter. Korrine was the type of girl who would greet you with a wide smile and look into your eyes and truly would want to know how you were doing
Korrine & Cancer
On December 20th, 2007, Korrine was diagnosed with Choriocarcinoma with a germ cell element. Choriocarcinoma is a very rare type of cancer in teenage girls and inflicts less than 200 nationwide each year. Although the cancer started in her left ovary, the cancer had spread to her right ovary, lungs and liver. After the removal of a cantaloupe sized tumor in her left ovary on December 21st of 2007, Korrine, endured 10 months of intense chemotherapy designed for adult men.
During the course of her treatment, Korrine suffered many complications. In early April of 2007, her liver began to bleed. After staying at Kaiser Oakland for almost two weeks, Korrine was transfered to UCSF and spent a month in the intensive care unit. The doctors at UCSF Medical Center were finally able to stop her bleeding liver, but, not before it filled her abdomen with 5 liters of blood that had to be drained via a tube inserted into her stomach. On top of that, both of Korrines’ lungs collapsed while undergoing a CT scan that almost took her life. Because of that, 2 liters of fluid needed to be drained off of her lungs with the use of another drainage tube. Throughout her treatment Korrine needed numerous blood and platelet transfusions. She had nosebleeds that lasted an hour on several occasions. At one point, she had 18 intravenous tubes running through her body filled with anti-bacterials, anti-fungals, nutrition, painkillers and chemotherapy. Korrine miraculously made it through those tough days at UCSF and returned to Kaiser Hospital in Oakland. She was finally stable and was released to go home in late June. Just as things were starting to look up for her, she suffered septic shock in July that forced her to go back into intensive care at Kaiser in Santa Clara for 2 weeks.
Korrine returned home in late July and went through imaging scans to see if the cancer had disappeared. The scans always came back good, but not great. In an effort to kill and stop the remaining cancer cells, she underwent an emergency round of chemotherapy in early September. Unfortunately, it did kill the remaining cancer and her doctors had run out of options.
Korrine spent her last days at home with her family reading books and loving on her cats and dog. She passed away quietly, at home, on October 27th, 2008. Through it all, Korrine had a positive attitude and never gave up or complained. Many consider Korrine a hero.
Team KC
The Team KC website was originally started as a way to encourage, educate, raise awareness, and keep friends and family informed with accurate information on Korrine's treatment and progress. Family, classmates, friends, community members, and complete strangers rallied to support Korrine and her family through her fight against Choriocarcinoma. We were amazed by the amount of support we received, and it is now our desire to give back. In March, 2009, Team KC became an official nonprofit by joining forces with Kaiser Foundation Hospital. All monies raised by Team KC will directly benefit pediatric cancer patients and their families. All monetary contributions are tax deductible.
Our Mission: To help improve the quality of life of pediatric cancer patients and their families. We wish to supply children with fun activities, toys and anything else that will brighten and better their lives. Monies will also be used to help parents pay for bills and defray the costs of gas, food and lodging that go along with caring for a child with cancer.
Stay Positive, LIVESTRONG & Welcome to Team KC!
*This is the official Team KC website and the only website approved by the Croghan family. Please do not use content, images, or video from this site without permission. This is an effort to respect the family's privacy and ensure that all content is accurate and approved. Thank you for your cooperation.
A Note From Korrine (written after her 4th round of Chemo)...
Hello everyone! It's me, Korrine. I just wanted to take a
moment to thank each and every one of you for supporting me through emails,
visits, food, gifts, and most importantly, prayer. Without it, I probably
wouldn't have made it this far. Anyways, on a happier note, I am happy to
announce that I am feeling very good. This last round of chemo hit me pretty
hard, but I think that it is more exiting to end things with a big BANG! I will
try to start writing things for the blog now that my chemo therapy is over, but
until then, just know that I love every single one of you and I am always
thinking about my family, friends, and even the people who I've never met
before. Thanks for joining my battle and for making this experience "The
Experience of a Lifetime." LIVESTRONG! And stay positive.
Korrine Lannie Croghan
Dear Friends and Family:
Where do I start with the thank you's? My friends and family have been so gracious, faithful and loving to Korrine. It gives her strength. She's pulling herself up folks and you have a lot to do with that.
- Canyon Middle School: You guys are the best staff, students and friends any teacher could ask for.
- Mendenhall Parents, Students and Staff: I hate to play favorites but you are the second best middle school in the world next to my Canyon. Your letters to Korrine have been very comforting and uplifting.
- Smith Cougar community: You guys have been awesome with your support of Korrine and Sean.
- RLCC Staff: You guys have been like a second family to us and have always been like big brothers and sisters to Korrine and Sean. Keep your love coming. It energizes us.
- Trinity Baptist Church: Amazing. Thank you for everything.
- Crosswinds Church: Thank you for your prayers and acts of kindness.
- My Water Polo Crew: Keep praying for our tough little defender and play hard this weekend.
- My Family: Korrine loves you guys so much. She really wants to see you and spend time with her cousins and aunts and uncles. When she regains her strength, I know she'll want to see you all.
- All of my Friends from High School, College, Work and all points in-between: Thanks for the thoughts and prayers. They mean everything to Korrine.
We love you all. Keep praying for Korrine.
Matt Croghan and Family
12 comments:
Dear Korrine,
I know you don't remember me but I met you a couple times when you were little. I used to work with your dad and Uncle Mark. I just found out what you are going through and I want you to know that you will be in my prayers every day.
Dawn Hotaling
Hey Matt,
It was good to hear from you! Korrine is lucky to have you as her daddy, faithfully by her side coaching her along.
TEAM KC WILL WIN!
All I could think about this morning when I woke up was winning the olympics! (No not me, silly!) Korrine! Korrine the survivor! With Matt Croghan, her daddy still by her side coaching her along! The whole world will be following the story because they have been praying for this blessed child from the beginning. A story that reflects the Lord's mercy and grace! One that gives hope to the lost and faith to the unbeliever. Where once again the word prayer and living testimony will be spoken aloud and all the glory will be to God.
Wow!
AND TEAM KC TAKES THE GOLD!!!!!
I love you all! Keep fighting the good fight! Live Strong!
Shellee
Hey Team KC,
My hope for Korrines recovery is soaring, since I read that she had a good day today and was able to eat and get some rest. I hope you all have been able to do the same. We sure do miss you at the pool and are praying for Korrine's recovery and all of your strength to get through this trial. Luv you all and keep up the good work.:)JJ
Hi Team KC,
I was at church this morning and got to meet Dana for the first time and a couple of her friends.
Just wanted to mention that your website is very inspirational. It is fantastic to see how many people care and are praying for Korrine and your whole family.
My wife and I will continue to pray for you all, especially Korrine.
Rob & Sherry Tanner
Korrine~ so i havent heard of your recent progress but i can just feel inside me that the last few days have been great for you! I know your home and feeling quite a bit better than you had! Well i hope you are doing well as i said i can feel it! I just want to let you know that since i found out of what you have been going through which i think was last week, i have been wearing my yellow livestrong bracelet for you! and everynight i pray for a miracle for you and your family! All i can think about lately is you! I hope you are doing well! As i have said before you are my inspiration. XOXO! get better soon! LIVESTRONG!
Love Always,
Audrey W.
Hi Korrine~ I hope you are doing good! I have already sent you a message today, but i forgot one thing! My mom says hi and wanted me to tell you that she has been praying for you! XOXO!
LIVESTRONG!
Love Always,
Audrey Walke
Dear Korrine,
I am Keith Testerman's mom and Chris & Courtney Dunn's step-mom. I want you to know that our entire family is keeping you and your family in our hearts and prayers everyday. You are an amazing girl who is an inspiration to everyone who knows of you. Never loose your faith, your strong will or your fight. You will win! Your Dad was Keith's first water polo coach four years ago and we quickly came to admire him. He was later Courtney's first water polo coach, which is when she was fortunate enough to meet you. I got to be introduced to your mom for the first time at a water polo tournament last October, and quickly realized that she was as wonderful as your Dad. With such awesome parents, it is no wonder that you are such a sweet girl and an amazing gift to this world. We look forward to seeing you in the pool again. Livestrong!
Love,
Mary Dunn
Dear Korrine,
I went to school with your dad at MSJ in Fremont many years ago. I heard from another classmate about your challenge ahead. With all the positive energy and prayers heading your way I know all will be fine. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. Your smile is so special and your strength is so inspiring.
God Bless!
Bobbi (Byrnes) Matulich
hi korrine its patrick how are you doing lately. it was fun last time we played water polo against each other. do you remember when we went camping in albion together that was really fun. i hope you get better. live strong!!!
patrick
Hello Korrine,
I am an eighth grader at Creekside Middle School. I know you do not know me but I would like to send my full and complete support of Team KC. Keep fighting and Livestrong.
Hey Korrine,
How are you doing darling? I was looking at itunes and I thought of you. I really like Jason Mraz... One of my favorite songs of his is When God moves Through you, aw so good. And also Kate Voegele. She is really good.
See ya later Chica, Love Anja
Dear Matt,
I am so sorry to hear about your daughters condition. I just found out today when I ws at Canyon, from Mark. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
Sincerey,
Emmett Mullen
Post a Comment