"Let no one ever come to you without leaving better and happier. Be the living expression of God's kindness; kindness in your face, kindness in your eyes, kindness in your smile, kindness in your warm greeting."
Mother Teresa

Smile

Cancer stripped her of everything including her life but it could not steal away God's LOVE, PEACE and the JOY that radiated through her. Korrine never stopped SMILING!
Korrine Lannie Croghan

Korrine Croghan was a vivacious 14-year-old girl who lived all of her life in Livermore, CA. She had a love for animals, sports, and most of all, family. Korrine was a straight “A” student while attending Mendenhall Middle School and was working hard in her first trimester at Granada High. She was a great friend to many and was everything that a brother, mother and father could ask for in a daughter. Korrine was the type of girl who would greet you with a wide smile and look into your eyes and truly would want to know how you were doing

Korrine & Cancer

On December 20th, 2007, Korrine was diagnosed with Choriocarcinoma with a germ cell element. Choriocarcinoma is a very rare type of cancer in teenage girls and inflicts less than 200 nationwide each year. Although the cancer started in her left ovary, the cancer had spread to her right ovary, lungs and liver. After the removal of a cantaloupe sized tumor in her left ovary on December 21st of 2007, Korrine, endured 10 months of intense chemotherapy designed for adult men.

During the course of her treatment, Korrine suffered many complications. In early April of 2007, her liver began to bleed. After staying at Kaiser Oakland for almost two weeks, Korrine was transfered to UCSF and spent a month in the intensive care unit. The doctors at UCSF Medical Center were finally able to stop her bleeding liver, but, not before it filled her abdomen with 5 liters of blood that had to be drained via a tube inserted into her stomach. On top of that, both of Korrines’ lungs collapsed while undergoing a CT scan that almost took her life. Because of that, 2 liters of fluid needed to be drained off of her lungs with the use of another drainage tube. Throughout her treatment Korrine needed numerous blood and platelet transfusions. She had nosebleeds that lasted an hour on several occasions. At one point, she had 18 intravenous tubes running through her body filled with anti-bacterials, anti-fungals, nutrition, painkillers and chemotherapy. Korrine miraculously made it through those tough days at UCSF and returned to Kaiser Hospital in Oakland. She was finally stable and was released to go home in late June. Just as things were starting to look up for her, she suffered septic shock in July that forced her to go back into intensive care at Kaiser in Santa Clara for 2 weeks.

Korrine returned home in late July and went through imaging scans to see if the cancer had disappeared. The scans always came back good, but not great. In an effort to kill and stop the remaining cancer cells, she underwent an emergency round of chemotherapy in early September. Unfortunately, it did kill the remaining cancer and her doctors had run out of options.

Korrine spent her last days at home with her family reading books and loving on her cats and dog. She passed away quietly, at home, on October 27th, 2008. Through it all, Korrine had a positive attitude and never gave up or complained. Many consider Korrine a hero.

Team KC

The Team KC website was originally started as a way to encourage, educate, raise awareness, and keep friends and family informed with accurate information on Korrine's treatment and progress. Family, classmates, friends, community members, and complete strangers rallied to support Korrine and her family through her fight against Choriocarcinoma. We were amazed by the amount of support we received, and it is now our desire to give back. In March, 2009, Team KC became an official nonprofit by joining forces with Kaiser Foundation Hospital. All monies raised by Team KC will directly benefit pediatric cancer patients and their families. All monetary contributions are tax deductible.

Our Mission: To help improve the quality of life of pediatric cancer patients and their families. We wish to supply children with fun activities, toys and anything else that will brighten and better their lives. Monies will also be used to help parents pay for bills and defray the costs of gas, food and lodging that go along with caring for a child with cancer.

Stay Positive, LIVESTRONG & Welcome to Team KC!

*This is the official Team KC website and the only website approved by the Croghan family. Please do not use content, images, or video from this site without permission. This is an effort to respect the family's privacy and ensure that all content is accurate and approved. Thank you for your cooperation.
A Note From Korrine (written after her 4th round of Chemo)...

Hello everyone! It's me, Korrine. I just wanted to take a
moment to thank each and every one of you for supporting me through emails,
visits, food, gifts, and most importantly, prayer. Without it, I probably
wouldn't have made it this far. Anyways, on a happier note, I am happy to
announce that I am feeling very good. This last round of chemo hit me pretty
hard, but I think that it is more exiting to end things with a big BANG! I will
try to start writing things for the blog now that my chemo therapy is over, but
until then, just know that I love every single one of you and I am always
thinking about my family, friends, and even the people who I've never met
before. Thanks for joining my battle and for making this experience "The
Experience of a Lifetime." LIVESTRONG! And stay positive.

Korrine Lannie Croghan

Tuesday, January 1, 2008

A Letter from Matt and Dana

Dear Friends and Family,

We cannot tell you how much all of you mean to our family. Your support through all of this has been awesome. For whatever reason this is happening to Korrine, she is going to be even more of a testament to God because of all the prayer that has been spoken in her name. Korrine started her first day of chemo today and handled it like the trooper she is. The doctors basically need to tear her whole body down to fight this very aggressive disease. They’re not holding back on the heavy artillery either. They are using some potent drugs. Pray that the chemo will knock out this cancer and pray that her side effects from the chemo will be minimal.

Love
Matt, Dana, Korrine and Sean Croghan


P.S. Korrine loves reading her messages. Keep them coming even if you have already sent one!

30 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello Team KC,

I just wanted to let you know that you are all in my thoughts and prayers. I pray for Korrine several times a day and want her to know what a wonderful and strong person she is. If there is anything I can do to help please let me know.

love
Kenna

Anonymous said...

Hey Korrine,

I hope you're doing okay. Your strength inspires us all. We're all praying for you, Kevin, Katie, me, and my whole family.

Remember when we went to the Stanford vs. Cal Water Polo Game? I've never seen such an exciting water polo game. I can't wait to see you play water polo again too.

Praying for you,
Amanda Johnston

Andy Grant said...

Korrine,

You are such an incredible person. I keep a LIVESTRONG band on each of my water bottles to remind me during hard sets that no matter how hard I think I'm working, there is a little girl out there who is half my size and fighting at least twice as hard. You are my last thought each day.

Andy

I LIVESTRONG for Korrine Croghan.

Anonymous said...

Hey Korrine,

I just finished reading the letter from your family and there update is just what i expected to hear, that your were being trooper and the same strong person we have all come to know and love. with everything you have had to encounter it just shows how you are truly one of the strongest individuals i have ever come to know. You have been dealt a difficult hand but as you can see we all know that you can take on anything put in front of you. You are a brave and strong individual korrine.

To Mr and Mrs. Croghan, i read a post saying that you could use a hand with such things as yard work, and you asked what people would be willing to do to help. I would definitely like to help out in any way that i can, whether that is helping with yard work, or donating to Korrine's fund, or taking Shawn out to a movie, i am willing to do anything to help.

You are all in my thoughts and prayers and i hope to see you all soon.

Shellee Clore said...

Korrine,
2008 is a year for healing. We are all in this with you. You are very special to our whole family. Brandon says that we hope, wish and pray that God will heal you spontaniously. Then he said, "does that word fit?" Lol! We have been praying for you. This web page is so awesome! I just love to look at your smiling face each time I check for updates. Hey, maybe I can get them to download your home movie with Brandon when you were three. You eating that banana split that was bigger then you and Brandon SMACKING me in the face with the video camera! Ha! Good times! I love you! Sleep tight.

Love,
Shellee and Brandon Clore
{livestrong}

Anonymous said...

Hey Korrine!! So you've started the chemo by now and we're all praying that it is giving you more and more strength to battle! I know you are so strong, I've defended you.

Well, my aunt gave me her livestrong bracelet when I told her about you, so now I think of you everytime i see my right wrist!!

I love you Korrine!-Alex Accornero

Anonymous said...

hi KorrineIt.s Debby and Ian sending many prayers out to you and we want you to know that we all believe in the power of prayer. Please tell your roommates that we send prayers to them also.We were recalling the Christmas pudd song that you sang with Margaret and Beth that Christmas a few years ago, and how you are still the sweetest and cutest young lady that you were then, only older.We think of you very often these days and your family as well. The photos on this site are really great.Beth said that she totally recognized you right away.We love you and look forward to seeing you soon.
Love and prayers
Debby and Ian

Anonymous said...

Hi Croghan Family:

I was so happy to read your blog this morning. Korrine you truly are an inspiration to all of us! The power of prayer is amazing. We will keep praying hard for you. We love you and your wonderful family!

Love, Janet

Anonymous said...

Hi Korrine,

We just heard your Mom's phone message, and we just want you to know that we are thinking of you and praying for you and your family. We look forward to seeing your shining face around here soon.

Love,
Pat and Nita Cooley

Anonymous said...

Hi Korrine! The whole Gilbert family and everyone we know is praying for you. You are such a bright and shining little star and we love you! If we can do anything at all, we are there! We hope we can come visit you soon! We love you and will pray throughout every single day for you!

Love and prayers,

The Gilberts and JoJo =)

Anonymous said...

Korrine,

You don't know me sweetie, but I recieved your website address from my cousing who used to swim for your dad (Brett Rauscher). I know how difficult your treatment can be right now. My fiance finished the same treatment several months ago for testicular cancer. He also underwent the regiment of Cisplatinum, Bleomycin, and Etoposide. Be strong Korrine...when your five days are done, you will have a break and be able to regain strength.

I already wear a Livestrong band for my fiance's fight, but now when I look down I will remember and pray for your strength during this time. You will make it through this...have faith in the Lord and lean on your family. You are in my fiance and my prayers.

Love,
Marissa Johns

Rosalyn said...

Hi Korrine,
I just heard about your blog and wanted to stop by and let you know I will be praying. He has you in the palm of His hand, no matter what. He has your family too, so don't worry about them.
Love and prayer without ceasing...
Rosalyn

MKH said...

Hi Korrine,
This is Margaret (I work with your cousin Troy). I know you've started your treatments this past week and I'm praying for you. I want you to know that you're in my thoughts and prayers every day. Stay strong!!
Margaret Kelly

Anonymous said...

WTG Korrine!
Sammi wanted me to send you a message-she's thinking about you & was so happy when I told her that you did well with the "medicine"
Love the Hammons Family
LIVE STRONG!!! You're an inspiration to us all!!

Anonymous said...

hey korrine just wanted you to know i've been thinking and praying for you... i hope the chemo goes well and you remain strong through this time.. i love you girlie if you need anything just let me know!!!
--Jaclyn Rice

Anonymous said...

Hi Korrine,

I am thinking of you often and each time I think of you I pray for you. You are strong and GOD will provide for you at this difficult time.

I remember last summer on the mission trip to Pheonix how much fun I had getting to know you. I loved rooming with you because I could always count on your beautiful smile. I also remember how special it was for you to visit with your cousin and her children. The jewelry she gave you brought such joy to your face. You have such a sweet spirit. We all love you and will be praying for your strength, comfort, and peace that only our Heavenly Father can provide

Love, Eileen Montano

Anonymous said...

Hey Korrine,

Just wanted to say that I am praying for you. I am so sorry you have to go through this. Just know that I love you and I'm thinking of you. Hope to see you soon.
Love,
Lindsay Montano

Anonymous said...

HI KORRINE

THIS IS NANCY FROM UPTOWN GIRLS, JUST WANTED YOU TO KNOW THAT MY FAMILY AND I ARE PRAYING FOR YOU. YOU ARE IN OUR THOUGHTS AND PREYERS EVERYDAY. JUST REMEMBER BE STRONG..LOVE THE BELLUOMINI FAMILY

Anonymous said...

Hi Korrine, it seemed like just yesterday we were eating pizza together on the way up to the snow retreat. We sure had fun together! I am praying miracles for you and your family! Love you, Ann Marie Killough <><

Sandhya said...

Hi Matt and Dana,

I work for LARPD with ESS. I do not know you personally, but you are in my thoughts and prayers. Please do let me know what Korrine likes to read and what kind of music she likes to listen. My family and I are keen on helping.

Love,

Sandhya

Sandhya said...

Hi Matt and Dana,

I work for LARPD with ESS. I do not know you personally, but you are in my thoughts and prayers. Please do let me know what Korrine likes to read and what kind of music she likes to listen. My family and I are keen on helping.

Love,

Sandhya

Anonymous said...

Dear Korrine:
I loved visiting your website and seeing all of the pictures of you and your beautiful family.

I was glad to hear that the chemotherapy is doing its good work as I type. I know you will be well very soon, hang in there!

I look forward to seeing you again soon. Please give my best to your lovely parents and little brother. You are in my prayers.

Love,
Dr Annette Chen

Anonymous said...

Hey Korrine,
the song on your blog is a very cool song and everytime i hear that song through the house I know that someone is on your blog. I can't wait to play those family games like we used to do. Like the time we were at the cabin in arnold. That trip was alot of fun playing in the snow. I read the Lance Armstrong book It's not about bike it was really a great book. I also read a Quote once that said that Victory is not the willingness to suceed but its the willingness to not give up. I am praying for your sucess and that you are strong enough and that God gives you the courage to suceed. I am a huge supporter for the cure of cancer and of those of have or had cancer. I have had a liveStrong band since they have come out and have'nt taken it off since then. I now will be reminded of how you are living strong everyday. Hope to see you soon.
Love,
Ross

Anonymous said...

Korrine,

I have enjoyed looking at your pictures so much. I printed up a few and have them up.I have not stopped thinking about you and praying for you, you are always on my mind and in my prayers. My friend Dorothy just finished chemo, and is also praying for you everyday. She told her church about you, and they pray for you also. You have a strong army of prayer warriors sending up constant, powerful prayer for you. I work at Canyon with your dad and uncle. I met you in the parking lot when you came to school with your dad to help him for the day. I was so impressed with how pretty you are and what a nice impression you made, that I even told my husband about you that night.

Love,
Yolanda

Anonymous said...

Korrine,

You don't know me but I heard about your story from my Water Polo Coach, Kyle Beach. He tells me your going to be an accomplished Water Polo Player one day!

My name is Clint and I'm a member of the CU Mens's Water Polo Team. I wanted to let you know that me and the rest of the guys of thinking of you and praying for you. Sometimes obstacle are put in our way to make us stronger, and I'm sure you'll emerge from this a better person and an even stronger polo player!

Keep livin' STRONG,

-Clint

Kyle Brumbaugh said...

Korrine:

We got the chance to meet you and reconnect with the family two years ago at a party at your Uncle Mark's home. We received an e-mail from Mark yesterday telling us about the strength and poise you have shown since you discovered you have this dreadful disease. Our thoughts, prayers and well wishes are there for you as you continue to fight forward.

If you or your parents need anything, please don't hesitate to call or e-mail. We will continue to check in and send notes hoping for your speedy recovery.

Love and warm wishes!

Kyle, Debra and MacKenzie Brumbaugh

Anonymous said...

Korinne,
You do not know me, but I swan for your Grandpa and with your dad. My name is Julie Rice, now Julie Thall, and your dad and I even shared a locker in high school and went to a Christmas formal together. Your whole family played such a big part in my life growing up, and are very important to me.

As I have been looking through your blog, what absolutely amazes me is that you look like this bright shining star in all the photos. Your smile is addicting and beautiful - which tells me that your spirit is also beautiful and very strong. I will share with you how lucky I feel to have experienced quite a bit of cancer RECOVERY in my family. From my cousins rare cancer behind her eye and nose, to another cousin's tailbone cancer, to my 80 year old Grandmother's breast cancer. These treatments work, and I will be praying everyday that they will work for you! Your job is to keep the faith and protect your beautiful fighting spirit.

Praying for you,
Julie (Rice) Thall
juliethall@comcast.net

Anonymous said...

Hi, Korrine!! Not sure if you will remember me or not, but I remember you and so does my Mom and Dad! We went to Arroyo Mocho together and I always thought you were a special girl! I know GOD will take care of you and you WILL beat this! In the mean time, I will be praying for you on my own and with my worship team at Church. I know, you probably can't believe it, but I am very involved with my families Church and am the lead guitar for our Youth Band at Celebration! I am going to work on a special song and have it put on-just for you!!! I just know you are going to beat this, Korrine! Have faith in our LORD, and your family and friends! LYL!!! Justin Simon :)

Kirsten said...

Hey Korriney,
I heard you've been working hard putting that weight back on! Way to Go honey! I ran into your dad the other day at Kaiser Livermore, and wouldn't you know it, my "Korrine" alarm went off on my phone while we were talking. It continually reminds me throughout the day to stop what I'm doing and pray for you. God is soooo faithful in his listening. He's got some big plans for you honey. You've got quite an "army" watching your back. I keep "recruiting" everyone I can. I will continue to do my part, while you just keep getting stronger. Your smile is beautiful, and it lifts me everyday when I log on. Much love to you and your family Korrine.
xoxo Kirsten

Anonymous said...

Korrine, you do not know me but I have hassled your father for many years at the Tennis Club for be a follower. Unfortunately, the team he follows is none other than the 49ers!!!!! He will learn. I teach at Granada and cannot wait to meet you next year and hopefully teach you who the real professional team is in the Bay Area--Matt, our prayers are with you and your family. Was it a coincidennce we saw each other at the zoo??? I do not think so, if you know what I am alluding to.

John Carter