"Let no one ever come to you without leaving better and happier. Be the living expression of God's kindness; kindness in your face, kindness in your eyes, kindness in your smile, kindness in your warm greeting."
Mother Teresa

Smile

Cancer stripped her of everything including her life but it could not steal away God's LOVE, PEACE and the JOY that radiated through her. Korrine never stopped SMILING!
Korrine Lannie Croghan

Korrine Croghan was a vivacious 14-year-old girl who lived all of her life in Livermore, CA. She had a love for animals, sports, and most of all, family. Korrine was a straight “A” student while attending Mendenhall Middle School and was working hard in her first trimester at Granada High. She was a great friend to many and was everything that a brother, mother and father could ask for in a daughter. Korrine was the type of girl who would greet you with a wide smile and look into your eyes and truly would want to know how you were doing

Korrine & Cancer

On December 20th, 2007, Korrine was diagnosed with Choriocarcinoma with a germ cell element. Choriocarcinoma is a very rare type of cancer in teenage girls and inflicts less than 200 nationwide each year. Although the cancer started in her left ovary, the cancer had spread to her right ovary, lungs and liver. After the removal of a cantaloupe sized tumor in her left ovary on December 21st of 2007, Korrine, endured 10 months of intense chemotherapy designed for adult men.

During the course of her treatment, Korrine suffered many complications. In early April of 2007, her liver began to bleed. After staying at Kaiser Oakland for almost two weeks, Korrine was transfered to UCSF and spent a month in the intensive care unit. The doctors at UCSF Medical Center were finally able to stop her bleeding liver, but, not before it filled her abdomen with 5 liters of blood that had to be drained via a tube inserted into her stomach. On top of that, both of Korrines’ lungs collapsed while undergoing a CT scan that almost took her life. Because of that, 2 liters of fluid needed to be drained off of her lungs with the use of another drainage tube. Throughout her treatment Korrine needed numerous blood and platelet transfusions. She had nosebleeds that lasted an hour on several occasions. At one point, she had 18 intravenous tubes running through her body filled with anti-bacterials, anti-fungals, nutrition, painkillers and chemotherapy. Korrine miraculously made it through those tough days at UCSF and returned to Kaiser Hospital in Oakland. She was finally stable and was released to go home in late June. Just as things were starting to look up for her, she suffered septic shock in July that forced her to go back into intensive care at Kaiser in Santa Clara for 2 weeks.

Korrine returned home in late July and went through imaging scans to see if the cancer had disappeared. The scans always came back good, but not great. In an effort to kill and stop the remaining cancer cells, she underwent an emergency round of chemotherapy in early September. Unfortunately, it did kill the remaining cancer and her doctors had run out of options.

Korrine spent her last days at home with her family reading books and loving on her cats and dog. She passed away quietly, at home, on October 27th, 2008. Through it all, Korrine had a positive attitude and never gave up or complained. Many consider Korrine a hero.

Team KC

The Team KC website was originally started as a way to encourage, educate, raise awareness, and keep friends and family informed with accurate information on Korrine's treatment and progress. Family, classmates, friends, community members, and complete strangers rallied to support Korrine and her family through her fight against Choriocarcinoma. We were amazed by the amount of support we received, and it is now our desire to give back. In March, 2009, Team KC became an official nonprofit by joining forces with Kaiser Foundation Hospital. All monies raised by Team KC will directly benefit pediatric cancer patients and their families. All monetary contributions are tax deductible.

Our Mission: To help improve the quality of life of pediatric cancer patients and their families. We wish to supply children with fun activities, toys and anything else that will brighten and better their lives. Monies will also be used to help parents pay for bills and defray the costs of gas, food and lodging that go along with caring for a child with cancer.

Stay Positive, LIVESTRONG & Welcome to Team KC!

*This is the official Team KC website and the only website approved by the Croghan family. Please do not use content, images, or video from this site without permission. This is an effort to respect the family's privacy and ensure that all content is accurate and approved. Thank you for your cooperation.
A Note From Korrine (written after her 4th round of Chemo)...

Hello everyone! It's me, Korrine. I just wanted to take a
moment to thank each and every one of you for supporting me through emails,
visits, food, gifts, and most importantly, prayer. Without it, I probably
wouldn't have made it this far. Anyways, on a happier note, I am happy to
announce that I am feeling very good. This last round of chemo hit me pretty
hard, but I think that it is more exiting to end things with a big BANG! I will
try to start writing things for the blog now that my chemo therapy is over, but
until then, just know that I love every single one of you and I am always
thinking about my family, friends, and even the people who I've never met
before. Thanks for joining my battle and for making this experience "The
Experience of a Lifetime." LIVESTRONG! And stay positive.

Korrine Lannie Croghan

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Korrine's New Look

Korrine is sporting a hot new look for the 2008 winter season! She made the decision this week to go with the "less is more" approach and shave off her hair on her own terms. As you can see, she wears the style beautifully! Her smile lights up the room even more without all of that hair.

If you see Matt sporting a similar style soon, don't be surprised. Word has it that Korrine initiated her dad into her exclusive club by shaving his head ! Father and Daughterto now sport matching do's. Matt looks like he's getting ready to dust off his old speedo and race the mile again soon.


38 comments:

Anonymous said...

Korrine, You are beautiful!!!! I wish I had the courage to shave my head! I love you, Auntie Denise

Shellee Clore said...

YOU GO GIRL! YOU ROCK!

What a magnificent idea to shave your head! You are courageous and wise way beyond your years! What a way to stand your ground against this cancer and chemo. You will not be defeated! You sure took control of that situation. I love it! What a liberating feeling that must have been. Satan is defeated again!

Now the light of Jesus shines even brighter from your beautiful face!

Love,
Shellee

P.S. Hats off to Elizabeth Beato and The Victorian Edge!

Marcy Pryor said...

Korrine!!

When I saw the picture of you and Elizabeth I had a big smile on my face. All I could see was your beautiful smile and the sparkle in your eyes!! Praise God you are feeling good today and I hope you have so many visitors your mom has to kick people out of the house!!! Have a great weekend!!

Marcy Pryor

Anonymous said...

you guys look really good! =)

Anonymous said...

Hey Korrine,
Remember me...it's Stefani, your Mendenhall locker buddy from last year. I heard that you are going through some hard times. As Ms. Smith and Ms. Johnson would say "You're a strong and powerful woman! =D" Your in my prayers.
Love ya,
Stef

Anonymous said...

Hey Korrine! i love the new do! i have an adorable hat my mom bought for you today! I am not sure when to give it to you! But i hear that you are doing well a i ust hope you the best! Lots of Love!!!!!


LIVESTRONG!!!!!!!!!

Audrey Walke

Unknown said...

Korrine...

You look great! It makes me smile to see a smile on your face! My prayers are with you and your family. I wish I could come visit you guys again, but I'm all the way in Georgia. Keep the faith, and LIVESTRONG!

Anonymous said...

Korrine, you look so beautiful! I'm happy to see that your smile is still going as strong as ever. Actually, the new do makes it sparkle even more than before. I'm so proud of you and I can't wait to see you when I get home from DC.

Love you little cousin,
Tristen

Anonymous said...

Korrine:
I say again and again how crazy this may seem: but you are a vehicle for God. You have taught so many of us to have faith, to not sweat the small stuff and embrace those who want to reach out to us.
Thanks for your very important life lesson!We all need this in our lives.
You look dynamite with your new look!
Love, Trish, Jeff and Adam

Shellee Clore said...

Korrine,
How weird, I have been singing the "Don't Worry Be Happy" song for the last two days and now it is on your blogspot. I just got your t-shirt and I am going to wear it to school tomorrow. I'm gonna stand on top of the table in class and show it off to everyone. You look better bald then your dad! Hopefully I can come and see you soon. I hope you feel better soon.

Brandon Clore

Live Strong!

Don't Worry Be Happy!

Anonymous said...

Hey Korrine,

I just wanted to tell you that you look awesome with your head shaved, you could so be a bald model! See you soon.

Love Delaney

Anonymous said...

You're amazing, Korrine!! SO strong and courageous, I love it! I love your smile, it never seems to fade, however, it seems to be stronger each time I see a new picture!!

I'm donating my hair soon in honor of you!
Love, Alex Accornero

Anonymous said...

Korrine,

You look BEAUTIFUL! As people have said before, your smile is amazing... and I think the sparkle in your eyes shows us all that you are one very strong young lady. THANK YOU for sharing these pictures with us!

hugs and love, kathy t.

Anonymous said...

Everyone at Creekside is rooting for you!!!

Nick

Anonymous said...

Korrine:

You look great and we're so happy to know you're feeling better!! You are an amazing, beautiful young landy.

We're praying for you and your family and just wanted to say keep up that wonderful power and determination. We're all with you.

The Spence Family (Aiko, Paul, Kevin and Dale)

Sue said...

Hey Korrine~

You look amazing!! Good for you doing it YOUR way. I'm so proud of you. I'm thrilled to hear that you are feeling so well, and looking so terrific... WOW!
Keep smiling :)

Much love,
Sue Bakalar

Anonymous said...

Who needs hair when you have a beautiful smile like that! You look great Korrine! We're so happy to hear that you are feeling better. Just called the t-shirt place and they are already sold out of the youth sizes! Go Team KC! We'll be picking ours up this afternoon. Continue to stay strong, you're an inspiration to all of us!

The Moreau Family (Carrie, Scott, Trevor, & Evan)

Anonymous said...

Korrine- you trend setter. You won't have a bad hair day!! We are praying for you. Dad and you look great. We love you and keep up the fight.

The Xavier's Ed,Liz, Jess and Joe

Anonymous said...

Hey Korrine & Team KC,
You are amazing. Korrine you are such a beautiful inspiration to us all. You look wonderful, and that radiant smile of yours gives me so much Hope, Faith and Strength to know that you are going to be just fine. Your parents did a wonderful job helping you become the wonderful young lady you are. Dana,
We all miss you at water aerobics and are sending our positive, healing thoughts to Korrine and all of you daily.
LIVESTRONG
JJ

Anonymous said...

Korrine - you are the BOMB! If I looked as good with out hair I would shave it off today. Your smile is so bright and beautiful.

I' the person that made you some hats. Maybe I should make the boys a hat to match your. lol.

Remember God has a plan.
Blessing, d

Anonymous said...

"Bald is Beautiful" as the saying goes and you, Korrine, are more beautiful than words can describe (Matt, you run a close 2nd)! It is quite obvious that you and your family have touched so many people in so many walks of life. You ALL an inspiration to each one of us! Keep the faith, sweetie! (Your dimples stand out even more now!)

Love, Keri Brown and family

Anonymous said...

Hi Korrine!
You look so cute with your new "do"! It does make your smile even brighter...stay strong!
Love,
The McNairs

Anonymous said...

Korrine, Korrine,Korrine! what can i say! u will always be gorgeous no matter where you hair is placed! even if its not even there! As eveyone says u do have the most pretty smile of them all! u are inspiring and soo brave! everyone misses u at skool especially me! i hope to come c u soon!

Anonymous said...

That is awesome!!! I cut off most of my hair in '05, and donated it. I admit though, I would not shave my head. It takes an enormous amount of strength and courage to do that. That strength and courage I do not have! It's like saying, " Ha! Beat ya, Chemo!" Nothing can defeat you, Korrine! nothing! YOU GO GIRL!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Korrine
I Love the new look. Glad to hear you are feeling better. Good stuff!! Your dad looks like he did when he was a kid. Your smiles are a treasure to see. I love you and will wear the new shirt I got with pride
I love you
Auntie Marcia

Anonymous said...

Hi Korrine and family
I love the new look. Only you, Korrine, could pull it of so beautifully.
I hope these free days are jammed packed full of love, rest relaxation,and peace.
You are an inspiration for all who witness
I love you
Auntie Marcia

Anonymous said...

Hi Korrine,

Not sure if if you remember me (Corina) I lived at Grandpa Jacks and Grandma Jans's. You are just one fantastic gal and are part of one very strong, strong family. I have you in my prayers every day.

Corina

Anonymous said...

Hi Korrine,wow I think you look very beautiful and strong[er] with your shaved head it shows how much strength you have. I think it's amazing how you went through so much and you can still wear a smile on your face to me that takes courage,I know you can fight this so don't give up, I know you can make it!
=)
Our family prays for you
[Melissa N.]

Anja said...

Ah!Your too beautiful. I wish I could look like that with my head shaved.It really does bring out your smile more! School has been good lately but right now i am enjoying the 3 day weekend. I can't wait to see you at promotion. Delaney said she went and saw you on Friday, Juliana and I really want to come and see you. You are in my prayers.
All my Love, Anja

Anonymous said...

Hey Korrine, you are so awesome and you look great with you're shaved head. You are very strong person and always keep that smile on your face. :). YOU ROCK!!!

Love ya,
Christine

Anonymous said...

Croghans,
I pray everyday for Korrine since I heard what happend. I have been shaving my head for a few years now but I will think and pray for you every time I cut it. I wish I wasn't away at school so I could help with lawn care and such seeing as I live around the corner. I will keep you all in my prayers.
-Alex Gehlert

Anonymous said...

Let no one ever come to you without leaving better and happier. Be the living expression of God's kindness;
Kindness in your face,
Kindness in your eyes,
Kindness in your smile,
Kindness in your warm greeting.
-Mother Teresa-

Anonymous said...

Hello Beautiful Girl:

Just wanted to let you know we are still thinking about you and praying for you and your family every day. Can't wait to see you. You are truly amazing and we just love your smile.

Love, Kyle, Janet & Chad

Anonymous said...

You look beautiful Korrine! I have a really short haircut now too!
Love, Ana Rosa

Anonymous said...

Hi Korrine,
we appreciate your courage, and we are praying for you. You are an encouragement to everyone.
Glenn and Tina Mitchell

Anonymous said...

You look beautiful and full of life!! I have sons at Mendenhall and we are praying for you to be well soon!!! You are a courageous young girl and you will get throught this!!! It must be lovely to know that so many people care about you. For this, you are blessed!! Take Care, Lori Perry

Anonymous said...

WOW Korrine,I love your bald head,as a matter of fact your family has beautiful bald heads! But, more than that,I love your smile.I see God in you and with you dear. Keep keeping on girl! Your so brave and I thank the Lord that you have family and freinds with you,but you also have all of us with you. My prayers and thoughts go out to you,May God Bless You Miss. Korrine,mawmaw Sherry

Anonymous said...

You show kindness through your face, your eyes, your smile and through the warmth of your greetings. You bear a cheerful smile. You don't only give your care, but give your heart as well, and I know you'll never give that up. I am here to give you care back. If you ever need anyone, then know that I'm here for you.
Love,
Kimberly

PS. if you were wondering what was going on in school, theres nothing much but history day, and everybody is always saying how much we miss you. :)