"Let no one ever come to you without leaving better and happier. Be the living expression of God's kindness; kindness in your face, kindness in your eyes, kindness in your smile, kindness in your warm greeting."
Mother Teresa

Smile

Cancer stripped her of everything including her life but it could not steal away God's LOVE, PEACE and the JOY that radiated through her. Korrine never stopped SMILING!
Korrine Lannie Croghan

Korrine Croghan was a vivacious 14-year-old girl who lived all of her life in Livermore, CA. She had a love for animals, sports, and most of all, family. Korrine was a straight “A” student while attending Mendenhall Middle School and was working hard in her first trimester at Granada High. She was a great friend to many and was everything that a brother, mother and father could ask for in a daughter. Korrine was the type of girl who would greet you with a wide smile and look into your eyes and truly would want to know how you were doing

Korrine & Cancer

On December 20th, 2007, Korrine was diagnosed with Choriocarcinoma with a germ cell element. Choriocarcinoma is a very rare type of cancer in teenage girls and inflicts less than 200 nationwide each year. Although the cancer started in her left ovary, the cancer had spread to her right ovary, lungs and liver. After the removal of a cantaloupe sized tumor in her left ovary on December 21st of 2007, Korrine, endured 10 months of intense chemotherapy designed for adult men.

During the course of her treatment, Korrine suffered many complications. In early April of 2007, her liver began to bleed. After staying at Kaiser Oakland for almost two weeks, Korrine was transfered to UCSF and spent a month in the intensive care unit. The doctors at UCSF Medical Center were finally able to stop her bleeding liver, but, not before it filled her abdomen with 5 liters of blood that had to be drained via a tube inserted into her stomach. On top of that, both of Korrines’ lungs collapsed while undergoing a CT scan that almost took her life. Because of that, 2 liters of fluid needed to be drained off of her lungs with the use of another drainage tube. Throughout her treatment Korrine needed numerous blood and platelet transfusions. She had nosebleeds that lasted an hour on several occasions. At one point, she had 18 intravenous tubes running through her body filled with anti-bacterials, anti-fungals, nutrition, painkillers and chemotherapy. Korrine miraculously made it through those tough days at UCSF and returned to Kaiser Hospital in Oakland. She was finally stable and was released to go home in late June. Just as things were starting to look up for her, she suffered septic shock in July that forced her to go back into intensive care at Kaiser in Santa Clara for 2 weeks.

Korrine returned home in late July and went through imaging scans to see if the cancer had disappeared. The scans always came back good, but not great. In an effort to kill and stop the remaining cancer cells, she underwent an emergency round of chemotherapy in early September. Unfortunately, it did kill the remaining cancer and her doctors had run out of options.

Korrine spent her last days at home with her family reading books and loving on her cats and dog. She passed away quietly, at home, on October 27th, 2008. Through it all, Korrine had a positive attitude and never gave up or complained. Many consider Korrine a hero.

Team KC

The Team KC website was originally started as a way to encourage, educate, raise awareness, and keep friends and family informed with accurate information on Korrine's treatment and progress. Family, classmates, friends, community members, and complete strangers rallied to support Korrine and her family through her fight against Choriocarcinoma. We were amazed by the amount of support we received, and it is now our desire to give back. In March, 2009, Team KC became an official nonprofit by joining forces with Kaiser Foundation Hospital. All monies raised by Team KC will directly benefit pediatric cancer patients and their families. All monetary contributions are tax deductible.

Our Mission: To help improve the quality of life of pediatric cancer patients and their families. We wish to supply children with fun activities, toys and anything else that will brighten and better their lives. Monies will also be used to help parents pay for bills and defray the costs of gas, food and lodging that go along with caring for a child with cancer.

Stay Positive, LIVESTRONG & Welcome to Team KC!

*This is the official Team KC website and the only website approved by the Croghan family. Please do not use content, images, or video from this site without permission. This is an effort to respect the family's privacy and ensure that all content is accurate and approved. Thank you for your cooperation.
A Note From Korrine (written after her 4th round of Chemo)...

Hello everyone! It's me, Korrine. I just wanted to take a
moment to thank each and every one of you for supporting me through emails,
visits, food, gifts, and most importantly, prayer. Without it, I probably
wouldn't have made it this far. Anyways, on a happier note, I am happy to
announce that I am feeling very good. This last round of chemo hit me pretty
hard, but I think that it is more exiting to end things with a big BANG! I will
try to start writing things for the blog now that my chemo therapy is over, but
until then, just know that I love every single one of you and I am always
thinking about my family, friends, and even the people who I've never met
before. Thanks for joining my battle and for making this experience "The
Experience of a Lifetime." LIVESTRONG! And stay positive.

Korrine Lannie Croghan

Sunday, June 29, 2008

CT Scan Monday

Friends and Family of Korrine. At 10 am on Monday Korrine will be going in for a CT Scan that will show the doctors how effective the chemotherapy has been so far. We are asking that you pray that the results will show that the cancer in her liver and lungs is being defeated and will continue to die off and be forever gone from her body. Pray for her doctors and nurses in that their decisions will be the best for Korrine and that God will work through them to completely heal Korrine. Pray that Korrine continues to gain strength each day that she is at home and gets the rest and nourishment that she will need for her last round of chemotherapy.

Thank you friends and family. Your prayers are being answered.
Matt, Dana, Korrine and Sean.

47 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Korrine and Family,
We wish you all the luck, courage, and strength you need for tomorrow's CT Scan. You are in our prayers as usual and we hope you are enjoying your quiet time at home with your family!!!
Love 2 U all,
Taylor,Savannah, Wendy, & Aj Vasquez

Denise K. said...

YES! I will pray that the cancer cells are being defeated in every part of Korrine's body that they have invaded. I will pray that the rounds of chemo that she has completed have done their job, and have wiped out every cell that does not belong.

I will also pray that Korrine is able to enjoy this time at home, and is feeling well! I will pray that her time at home is nourishing her and giving her strength to undergo the next chemo round, that will zap those cancer cells for good.

I'm praying for all the doctors and nurses that will work with Korrine. I will pray that the Lord will guide them, and give them the wisdom needed to treat her in the best possible way.

I will also pray for your family, for strength, peace, and finding joy in the ordinary moments. I will continue praying that Korrine is completely healed of this cancer, and that she will be able to start the first day of her freshman year with her classmates at the start of the new school year.

Our family remembers you, prays for you, and sends our long distance love! Lorri mentioned being the "official president of the Colorado chapter of team KC!" I will be her vice president, and we will keep those prayers and positive thoughts coming your way from our city here in Longmont. :-)

We lived in Dublin for 18 years, and know your community well! I know they have been there through-out this journey, and have been such a blessing. Please let us any of us know if there is anything we can do from near or far. You are such a special family, and we ALL look forward to being a part of Korrine's celebration when she is back doing what she loves!

Sending love, hugs, prayers, and blessings from Colorado,

Denise Kofford Ü

Christamae said...

I sure hope things are clear or there is an improvement! Prayers!

Anonymous said...

Hi Korrine and family! I am reading your blog from Fort Bragg on the Mendocino Coast. It is still beautiful even with the lingering smoke. The Lord truly does amazing things, and creates amazing things (except for that rather strange looking Paul Bunyon thing at Mystery of Trees??) Korrine, I know this is definitely a place for you and the family once the cancer is gone. I pray daily for you and am so happy to hear you are home even if for a few days. (I am home to Livermore Monday too). Rest, get stronger, soak up the sun and let team KC give your the strength to get thru the next round. Hugs and prayers on Monday with your CT scan.

Sue said...

Happy Sunday Croghans!

I hope that you have all had a fantastic weekend together!! You will be in my thoughts tomorrow and I continue to pray for complete healing of Korrine's liver and lungs, as well as prayers for strength for the final round of chemo.

StaySTRONG CutiePie... you rock!!

Love,
Sue Bakalar

Anonymous said...

We will pray as a family that Korrine's CAT scan will be clear. We will pray that she gains the strength she needs from you all to face the next round of chemotherapy. God bless you and keep you all safe.

Anonymous said...

Happy Sunday Sweet Korrine! I hope your time at home has been restful for you Little Girl! Home is so special.

We pray for you right now, Korrine that God would just take that cancer and remove it from your body. We are asking him right now to make you completely healthy and full of strength. We are believing for complete healing, Korrine. For your liver, your lungs and your entire body, Spirit and mind. We are trusting God to cause you to be refreshed and as strong or stronger than before this trial began! We pray for the docs and nurses not only to make the decicisions that are the right ones for Korrine but for them to be amazed at the miracle God will perform. We pray that when they look at the results of the scan that they will see only healthy organs and tissue. We are believing God for the miracle, Korrine!

Matt, Dana, Sean & Korrine... we love you.
Jack, Arla & Mary

Anonymous said...

Korrine, Sean, Dana and Matt,

Our prayers will continue and focus on these current issues. My hope is that you've had a very blessed weekend, relaxing and enjoying the comforts of home. Home and family are important medicines too.

We'll be awaiting the positive news of your CT scan and home that you are feeling stronger as you get ready for this last round of chemo.

My brother called this morning after they had arrived home from their Relay weekend. My brother is 42 and has a friend, Allison, from high school who has been there with prayers and encouragement as the fights the battle against his cancer. Knowing he was involved in Relay she asked that he make a luminaria for someone she knew... again, spreading the prayers base, far and wide.

It wasn't until he walked the luminaria lap last night that he saw the bag I had made for you. For both you and my brother, I had put the yellow band with the word, LIVESTRONG. He recognized quickly that YOU, Korrine, were the same person Allison had asked him to make a luminaria for... small world, with LOTS of people loving and praying for you... and your family!

hugs and much love, kathy t.

Rosalyn said...

Hi Korrine and Family,
We are praying for a great appt, one that fuels the hope we have in our God. We love and hope with and for you-
The Esmeyer Family

Anonymous said...

Our prayers will be with you!! Rest and Heal while you have the gift of being home with your family and be strong for your next round of chemo! We will keep praying!!!

Anonymous said...

Korrine,
So glad you have been able to be home with your family before beginning your final round of chemo. My daughters and I continue to pray for your complete healing, and tonight we prayed for positive news from your CT scan. Stay strong, and stay positive. You and your family are truly amazing.
Debbie, Lilly and Gracie Ackerman

Lorri said...

Hi Korrine...I will pray for your CT scan tomorrow. I'm so glad that you got to be at home this weekend! Keep enjoying every moment! Love, Lorri

Anonymous said...

Thank you for such specific prayer requests. Know that we will be praying and have sent out your request to many other prayer warriors we know.

Anonymous said...

praying for Korrine this am praying for the healing to be complete.. for mama, dad and sean to have so much joy during this visit. Praying especially for the ct scan to go with with no complications and for you to come out of it with assurance that only He can give
bless you
sandi k

Anonymous said...

Praying as requested to our loving Lord and great physician!

Anonymous said...

We wish you much luck and courage for the CT scan. We are praying for you that the results are very good. I am glad you got to come home and be with your family!!!
We love you and keep strong
The Xaviers Ed, Liz, Jess and Joe

Sue said...

Morning CutiePie!

You are in my thoughts and extra prayers today. Hope the scan goes well and you enjoy another beautiful day at home.

Love to you all,
Sue Bakalar

Anonymous said...

Korrine and Family-

I just want to let you know that I have been praying for you today. I ran across this scripture on another blog that I visit frequently and thought, immediately, of you.
"May God himself, the God who makes everything holy and whole, make you holy and whole, put you together - spirit, soul, and body -and keep you fit for the coming of our Master, Jesus Christ. The One who called you is completely dependable. If he said it, he will do it." 1 Thes. 5:23-24 (the Message)
Janea McKinley

Anonymous said...

YOU GOT IT!!!

The Campbell's

Anonymous said...

Dearest Korrine,
I want you to know how the world is letting all of us learn about you so that we keep you in our thoughts and prayers. I found out about you a week ago Friday from one of my students in my online health class. I prayed for you all week, and then on Friday I saw you and your mom in the grocery store and told you I was a big fan of yours. When I came home and told my husband Bill how amazing it was to see you, he told me your Dad was in the program he chairs at St. Mary's College. I then told my neighbor your story, and today in Trader Joe's she ran into a friend of hers who she had not seen in many months, who mentioned she was filling in as the swim coach while your mom was helping to take care of you!!! I believe this is God's way of helping us meet you and continue to pray for you and send you loving energy for healing. Now your team is even larger Korrine. Our prayers and thoughts are with you. May you be free from pain and sorrow, May you be well and happy. Namaste'

Anonymous said...

Just wanted you to know you are in our thoughts and prayers. We hope that the scans today will show that all of your strength and everyones prayers are being answered. Much love to you all and hope you are enjoying your time at home. Thinking good thoughts for your next round and hope you are stronger this time around.
Love The Riddioughs

Anonymous said...

Hello Korrine!

I've been praying that the results from the scan will show all the cancer cells ARE being defeated!

I also hope you enjoyed this past weekend at HOME... I'm sure you did, in every way! There really is No Place like HOME! :)

I will be on vacation for the next 10 days but you will never be far from my thoughts and prayers. I'm even going to take my Team KC
t-shirt with me... so people in Tenn. and N.C. will come to learn about you as well! :) Also, my good friend will continue to check your blog every day to give me updates.

May God continue to Bless and heal you. I also pray this last round of chemo goes easy on your body and that the intense nausea you had in the past is just that... a thing of the past!

Love and hugs~
Cindy Brian

(P.S. Dana - reading the comment from Donna that she ran into you and Korrine in the grocery store completely choked me up... of all places so 'ordinary'. I'm SO HAPPY you were able to share some wonderful, happy, and even 'ordinary' time together with her this weekend - you deserved that sooooo much. You are such an amazing woman, and mom, please don't you forget that!!!)

Anonymous said...

We are all so happy that you are home now Korrine! Enjoy your time to heal mentally and physicially (and give Major lots of hugs!). You really exemplify the idea behind LIVESTRONG!

Everyone at UCSF is crossing our fingers and praying for great CT Scan results!
Love, Karen

Anonymous said...

We are all praying that the cancer was wiped clean away!! God bless, Croghi!!
the Rosas

Anonymous said...

Korrine,

Thinking of you! I hope and pray that you are feeling good and strong for this next round of chemo. I'm sure that being at home has been so good for you and it will be hard to go back to the hospital... even for these days of treatment.

You truly an amazing young lady!
hugs and much love, kathy t.

Anonymous said...

Hi Korrie,
Just thinking of you and hoping that you were able to enjoy yourself while being at home this past weekend - I'm sure it must have been fantastic for you!
My prayers for you continue - I continue to pray that you get the platelets that you need along with the A- blood; I pray that your CT Scan went well and that the results showed that the Chemo was doing it's job. I pray that Round 7 of Chemo is your lucky round - the last round that you have to endure. While you begin this next round, I pray that your heart rate and fever stay within normal ranges and that you are able to sail through without any setbacks.
Hang in there, cutie... you're doing great.
Hugs and continued prayers your way,
Glenda Thornton

Anonymous said...

Extra strength, love, hope, prayers, thoughts, love, hugs, blessings, love, peace, comfort... did I mention love???? being sent your way today and always!

Arla & fam

Anonymous said...

dear korrine,
i hope that your CT scan went well. you are such a fighter and are always in my thoughts.

i just watched a girl named lindsay payne swim in the finals of the 100 breastroke of the olympic trials. she struggled through leukemia when she was your age and now she is better and competed in the olympic trials!

stay strong and much love!

Anonymous said...

Korrine,
You've been in our prayers. We will continue to prayer for your strength through the next round of chemo and that this strikes out the cancer in your body. You will conquer this!

Lorri said...

Good Morning Korrine...I'm back in Colorado and remembering that one of the very best things about my trip to California was meeting you and your family.

I am praying that chemo is going okay this round...this LAST round! I hope your days at home were super and that you are energized for the rest of the treatment.

It was a true honor to meet you and I hope we get lots more visits in the future.

Love, Lorri

Anonymous said...

We are literally crying out to God on your behalf. May He be greatly glorified in your complete healing!

Denise K. said...

Thinking of you today, and praying that this last round of chemo is going well, and that you are feeling strong Korrine! You're in out thoughts and prayers daily!

Sue said...

Good Morning CutiePie!!

I was just thinking about you and hoping that you had a fantastic weekend at home and praying that this last round of chemo is going ok for you. Continued prayers for your complete healing are being said every day, and I know He hears them.
StaySTRONG beautiful girl and remember how much love is being sent your way.

Love,
Sue Bakalar

Anonymous said...

Hi Korrine and Family,

Just wanted you to know that you are being thought of. We continue to pray for your strength and complete healing. God Bless You!

The Nagy Family

Anonymous said...

Korrine, You're quite something! We pray the chemo has been successful and that you can stay home with family and friends. Much love to all.

Rosalyn said...

Hi Korrine -
I adore you today. I'm hanging out with my 14 year old neice and just love her and thinking about you. I think I know why God uses young people, like you and Jesus mom Mary and many of the disciples... because of your passion and willingness to trust. The tender ages of 13 and 14 are special. You aren't ruled by what the world thinks and it's expecations. You aren't afraid to trust and believe and love God with all your heart and all your soul and all your mind! You are awesome. I love you.
Rosalyn Esmeyer (& family)

Anonymous said...

We continue to pray every day for your little girl. Bless you all and the strength and courage you show. Keep the faith and know there are so many keeping you in their prayers! The Pestana Family - Livermore, CA

Anonymous said...

Good Evening Korrine,
I know I read that in the past, during your chemo treatments, sleeping has been difficult. Right now is a time you would traditionally be asleep, so I am awake, praying that God give you rest! I am also praying for complete healing, no nausea and immediate results.
Sleep well and God Bless you!

Anonymous said...

Hi Korrine,
Just checking in to see how you're doing and to let you know that you are in our daily prayers. Our prayers continue that this will be the last round of chemo and that it's done it's job. We are praying for your complete healing and that the next time you get to go home, you get to stay at home! We pray that your liver are lungs are being healed; your heart rate and fever are within normal ranges, that you have the platlets you need when you need them along with the A- blood, and that you are able to get the rest you need to heal completely. Our prayers go out to you and your family... you're never far from our thoughts.
Hugs and prayers your way,
Glenda, Richard, & Kirra

Sue said...

Hi Korrine~

I was just thinking of you and wanted to check in. Hope things are going well.... wish I could just hug you.

Love
Sue Bakalar

dianna glass said...

Hi Korrine,
My name is dianna and i am a nursing student at ABC Educators Nursing School in Redlands CA. There is a special nurse that has been caring for you named Susan Yowell. She is the owner of our school and keeps us up to date on how things are going and all of the loving care she gives you.I a so proud of the strength you have given and the example you give to the world. You are truly an angel. I just wanted you to know how much your nurse Susan Yarrow loves you. She puts ever once of strength in your care and always knows how strong and what a fighter you are. I have four athletic kids of my own and run for livestrong . Lance is a good friend of my team mate. He even get to go to Boston with him this year. Your keep up the great work and remember we are all praying for you and truly love your strenght and courage.
dianna Glass, nursing student

Anonymous said...

Korrine,

We hope that your CT Scan showed positive results and that your chemo is going well (or slightly more tolerable than usual).

We are thinking about you and praying for you daily. We hope that you get to see some spectacular fire works from your window tomorrow.

Happy 4th of July,
The Campbell Family

Anonymous said...

Hey Sweet Girl!!!

I'm thinking of you today. Of course I always think of you, but today you've been strong in my heart! I know this week could be a very tiring one for you and your mom and dad. I know you can all hang on and cling to the strength we are all wanting and praying for for you!

Blessings & hugs,

Arla

Anonymous said...

Dear Korrine, Sean, Dana and Matt,

We are praying that you all have gained strength from your time together at home and that this strength carries you throuh your next round of chemo.
You are always in our thoughts and prayers.
With Much Love,
The Opipari's

Codel said...

Dear Korrine, Sean, Dana, and Matt,
Jan and I just wanted to let you know that you are all in our thoughts and prayers each and every day!
We were unaware of your blog site until this last weekend when Walt informed us and called about our blood types. Unfortunately, we are not matches, but we are putting out the word looking for friends that could be. We will be watching for positive updates as we visit.
Korrine, we are so amazed at how mighty and positive such a little girl can be, although we shouldn't be surprised considering the strong tight family you come from! You are so lucky to be loved and treasured by so many.
We will be thinking of you when we visit our cat friends next week and visit the cheetahs that you love so much.
Keep strong and gain strength from all your supporters. We will be praying every step of the way!
Matt and Dana, please don't hesitate to call as we are free to help out in any way this summer.
With all our love,
Codel and Jan Frydendahl

Lorri said...

a middle of the night hello Korrine! Praying chemo is going down okay and rejoicing it's your last! We sent you a surprise package today, a couple goodies to help pass the time.

My surgery went well but I'll be in bed the next two days so I'll be thinking of you a lot.

Sending a great big virtual hug, Lorri

Anonymous said...

We are so happy to hear of the time spent together in your own home! You are such an extraordinary family with so much love to share! Tonight, as you see and hear the explosion of the fireworks surrounding you, think of each individual display as personal messages and prayers (in your name)being sent up to God and His angels. You ALL have such an amazing support group and we are proud to be part of the KC Team! With all our love, we wish you ALL a very happy 4th of July!
Love, Keri, Roger, Joe, & Maggie Brown!