"Let no one ever come to you without leaving better and happier. Be the living expression of God's kindness; kindness in your face, kindness in your eyes, kindness in your smile, kindness in your warm greeting."
Mother Teresa
Cancer stripped her of everything including her life but it could not steal away God's LOVE, PEACE and the JOY that radiated through her. Korrine never stopped SMILING!
Korrine Lannie Croghan
Korrine Croghan was a vivacious 14-year-old girl who lived all of her life in Livermore, CA. She had a love for animals, sports, and most of all, family. Korrine was a straight “A” student while attending Mendenhall Middle School and was working hard in her first trimester at Granada High. She was a great friend to many and was everything that a brother, mother and father could ask for in a daughter. Korrine was the type of girl who would greet you with a wide smile and look into your eyes and truly would want to know how you were doing
Korrine & Cancer
On December 20th, 2007, Korrine was diagnosed with Choriocarcinoma with a germ cell element. Choriocarcinoma is a very rare type of cancer in teenage girls and inflicts less than 200 nationwide each year. Although the cancer started in her left ovary, the cancer had spread to her right ovary, lungs and liver. After the removal of a cantaloupe sized tumor in her left ovary on December 21st of 2007, Korrine, endured 10 months of intense chemotherapy designed for adult men.
During the course of her treatment, Korrine suffered many complications. In early April of 2007, her liver began to bleed. After staying at Kaiser Oakland for almost two weeks, Korrine was transfered to UCSF and spent a month in the intensive care unit. The doctors at UCSF Medical Center were finally able to stop her bleeding liver, but, not before it filled her abdomen with 5 liters of blood that had to be drained via a tube inserted into her stomach. On top of that, both of Korrines’ lungs collapsed while undergoing a CT scan that almost took her life. Because of that, 2 liters of fluid needed to be drained off of her lungs with the use of another drainage tube. Throughout her treatment Korrine needed numerous blood and platelet transfusions. She had nosebleeds that lasted an hour on several occasions. At one point, she had 18 intravenous tubes running through her body filled with anti-bacterials, anti-fungals, nutrition, painkillers and chemotherapy. Korrine miraculously made it through those tough days at UCSF and returned to Kaiser Hospital in Oakland. She was finally stable and was released to go home in late June. Just as things were starting to look up for her, she suffered septic shock in July that forced her to go back into intensive care at Kaiser in Santa Clara for 2 weeks.
Korrine returned home in late July and went through imaging scans to see if the cancer had disappeared. The scans always came back good, but not great. In an effort to kill and stop the remaining cancer cells, she underwent an emergency round of chemotherapy in early September. Unfortunately, it did kill the remaining cancer and her doctors had run out of options.
Korrine spent her last days at home with her family reading books and loving on her cats and dog. She passed away quietly, at home, on October 27th, 2008. Through it all, Korrine had a positive attitude and never gave up or complained. Many consider Korrine a hero.
Team KC
The Team KC website was originally started as a way to encourage, educate, raise awareness, and keep friends and family informed with accurate information on Korrine's treatment and progress. Family, classmates, friends, community members, and complete strangers rallied to support Korrine and her family through her fight against Choriocarcinoma. We were amazed by the amount of support we received, and it is now our desire to give back. In March, 2009, Team KC became an official nonprofit by joining forces with Kaiser Foundation Hospital. All monies raised by Team KC will directly benefit pediatric cancer patients and their families. All monetary contributions are tax deductible.
Our Mission: To help improve the quality of life of pediatric cancer patients and their families. We wish to supply children with fun activities, toys and anything else that will brighten and better their lives. Monies will also be used to help parents pay for bills and defray the costs of gas, food and lodging that go along with caring for a child with cancer.
Stay Positive, LIVESTRONG & Welcome to Team KC!
*This is the official Team KC website and the only website approved by the Croghan family. Please do not use content, images, or video from this site without permission. This is an effort to respect the family's privacy and ensure that all content is accurate and approved. Thank you for your cooperation.
A Note From Korrine (written after her 4th round of Chemo)...
Hello everyone! It's me, Korrine. I just wanted to take a
moment to thank each and every one of you for supporting me through emails,
visits, food, gifts, and most importantly, prayer. Without it, I probably
wouldn't have made it this far. Anyways, on a happier note, I am happy to
announce that I am feeling very good. This last round of chemo hit me pretty
hard, but I think that it is more exiting to end things with a big BANG! I will
try to start writing things for the blog now that my chemo therapy is over, but
until then, just know that I love every single one of you and I am always
thinking about my family, friends, and even the people who I've never met
before. Thanks for joining my battle and for making this experience "The
Experience of a Lifetime." LIVESTRONG! And stay positive.
Korrine Lannie Croghan
Korrine has been having some real good days lately. All of the prayers and support Team KC has been sending to UCSF has helped in her healing. She has been able to eat and drink a little and has taken a couple of laps around the ward with her IV bags in tow. She also has been able to get some much needed rest. She will be transferred to Kaiser Hospital in Oakland on Monday and will start her 3rd round of chemotherapy (7th round total so far) following the new protocol of taxol/ifosfamide and cisplatin on Tuesday. This round will last 5 days.
We cannot tell you how much we appreciate Team KC. For those of you who donated blood for Korrine we thank you so much. Not only the wonderful folks who went to Korrine's blood drive but also the people who drove out to the donor center here in San Francisco. Thank you Robin Mickels and Janet Hemming for setting up the blood drive. Your efforts will not only help Korrine but also many people here who need blood products.
Many people and organizations have run fundraisers in order to support Korrine and our family through this crisis. Thank you Marshall Elementary School in Castro Valley, Students and staff from Canyon and Creekside Middle School who participated in the "Hat Trick", Fremont Swim School, Granada Little League, Livermore Smoke and Mission Valley Athletic League Swimmers, also schools in Arizona where Korrine served on youth mission trips. We have truly been humbled by the showing of love and caring from our friends and from people we don't really know. We have been completely blown away by you. To us it goes to show that there is so much good in this world. It also shows how much affect one girl can have on so many people as she demonstrates her will to live and her faith in God on a daily basis.
We Love You
Matt,Dana,Korrine and Sean
38 comments:
You're such a trooper, what's not to love and pray about? You're so deserving of all these prayers and love so you get them. :)
Happy Birthday to Sean!!! He shares one with my mom.
Good luck in your next round. You'll always be on my mind, not that you aren't already!
Love Always, Alex Accornero :)
I am in awe of you Korrine and your will to live and beat this cancer! Your faith in God and yourself are so strong. I am so glad that you were able to get out of your room and take some laps around the ward. Soon it will be a pool Korrine!
Today my daughter had her
6th birthday at Fremont Swim school/American swim academy. They had the drawing for you today. We didn't win, but that is okay. Money was raised for you and your family and more people have found out about you. That is where I found out that you were so sick. We love it there!
I am glad that you are well enough to transfer to Oakland Kaiser. You will all be closer to home and Sean. Happy 9th birthday Sean! they will be so happy to see you again!
Keep fighting Korrine and we will all keep praying for you to be healed. I hope the chemo goes well and continues to kill the cancer in your body.
Livestrong Korrine and Family!
Cindy Vance
You are an awesome family and make it easy to love you and an honor to pray with you.
susancarmona78@yahoo.com
So grateful to read today's encouraging update. Korrine outdoors for a few moments in the sunshine. She's eaten and drank a bit. And, now she's moving around the ward; making many friends no doubt.
Gaining Strength Each Day. What a blessing! And, today being Sean's birthday -- such an incredible gift. Wishing you a very Happy Birthday, Sean.
Korrine, next week's MMS 8th grade promotion will hold you in the hearts of every one of your classmates, teachers, friends;--extended family. I know how much you hoped to be there along with your peers. Believe me when I tell you, you are. But for now, you just set your sight on rejoining your classmates in August at Granada High School. Love and kisses to you, Korrine. Sweet, restful dreams!
Love Sue
Happy Sunday Korrine!
It will be nice for you to be closer to home back at Kaiser and I'm sure you will appriciate the change of scenery. Plus, I know your old nurses must be SO glad to have you back!
Praying for your chemo tomorrow...Love, Lorri
We love you Croghans!
Korrine,
In my last message I got a little mixed up on my dates. I think I was thinking it was Sean's 9th birthday on the 9th... and your chemo was starting too. I realized this morning that I had things all mixed up.
I wanted to tell you that when I got up early today to go stand outside of Best Buy to try and get the Wii Fit for a friend... I was next to a kid wearing a Team KC shirt. He was sitting in one of those chairs you see people use at sports games or camping. I told him that I had one of those t-shirts too! It was really neat to see the love and support you have from the community!
Thinking of you and your family!
hugs and love, kathy t.
Thank you SO-O-O-O much Matt & Dana for the update. Each day I pray and each day I wonder how Korrine is doing!
Her warrier attitude is a testimony and confirmation this is the right way to live our lives.
We see milestones here...and are so grateful and filled with joy!
Trish, Jeff and Adam Brissey
Keep up the good work Korrine. We are glad that you will be back in Oakland and closer to home. Soon, you will be able to actually go home and what a blessing that will be..soon dear one, soon..
Love and prayers,
Ian and Debby and girls..
Happy Sunday Croghan Family~
How wonderful it is to hear that you are able to drink, eat and take some laps, Korrine!! Hearing that made my heart smile. You are one incredibly amazing young woman in faith and strength. Your whole family has taught me so much. Thank you.
Hugs, love and prayers,
Sue Bakalar
Hi Korrine,
Well let me tell you this update totally made my day! YAY! I'm so happy to hear you've been doing better and come tomorrow you'll be closer to home... soon to be back at home! :)
I know this next round of chemo will be tough on your body, but be assured that you have SO MANY people that are sending lots of Love and Prayers and good healing energy your way.
May God continue to Bless and heal you.
Get lots of rest tonight, OK? (No more late night runs around the ward! Hee hee!) Quick story for you: When I was a bit younger than you, I had to stay a couple days in the hospital. Another patient and I thought it would be great fun to go see the little babies in the nursery ward. But well, one important thing we didn't do was to 'mention' this to our nurse... and we were able to 'slip away' (keep in mind this was about 30 years ago). You might imagine the 'trouble' we got into when we came back...Ha! Yikes!!!)
So again... No Late Night Nurse ditching for you, missy!!! hee hee!
Love and Hugs~
Cindy Brian
P.S. HAPPY (belated) 9th
BIRTHDAY TO SEAN!!! :)
Korrine-
So glad to hear that you are feeling a little bit better every day! I am praying for you, and thinking about you often, you are such an inspiration!
Hello Corrine,
Wow, what great news again! Praise God! I am tickled to hear that you are up and about the halls and that you are able to enjoy the pretty days. The staff at UCSF is surely going to miss your family, what a bright spot you must be in their days! However, I'm sure that Kaiser staff is delighted to see you return to their charge.
You go, Girl!
Love, Mrs. Scarbrough
Korrine,
it may not seem like a lot but I just thought I should let you know you're my inspiration in life. The awarness your family has brought to this community is beyond imaginable. You opened my world up to an emence* amount of love and compassion i didn't even know I could have for another person. I miss you, and I love you, with all that I have. Maybe it's because of the prayers of close friends and even complete strangers; maybe it's the powerful medicines; or maybe it's simply the fact that you have a strength not found in anyone else. A strength that is going to shine through completely some day soon.
I love you <3
Feel Better <3
I just let out a big YES! when I read this latest news. I am so glad you're feeling better. Hopefully, this next round of chemo won't get you down too much and you continue to feel better. Stay strong, get some rest, and know that we're praying for you.
Hey, Korrine,
So glad to hear about your laps around the hospital---even with all your stuff! I always smile when I read about how strong and energetic you are, and I think about you all the time when I go running. I'm sure if the equipment could handle it, you'd have pulled it around in the pool (and probably lapped me a couple times in the process). :-D
Hang tough. More thoughts and prayers are headed your way...
Very best to you and your family!
Hello Korrine and family. Know that you have prayers being sent from Oregon. I was directed to this site via Meagan Arnold, as she is aware of the power of prayer that has worked miracles for our son, who has had 6 wks of radiation, and the 9 cycles of chemo that you are going through like a soldier. Keep your spirits up, and know that we are praying for your healing up north too. Our son Nathan is getting stronger every day, and we know that will be the case for you two when the treatments are done. The Laharty's in Oregon City OR
Excellent news! So happy to know Korrine is getting stronger and feeling better.
Sean - belated Happy Birthday! We hope you had a special day.
I got tearful when I heard from my husband he had to wait hours to donate blood because there was such a huge line of donors. That, to me, is what community is all about. God bless you.
Keep fighting & stay strong.
Hey There,
Yea, We are so happy for you. Oakland is quite close to Livermore...Yes, with God's, Team KC's and the your caring doctors' help, you will all be back where you belong--home.
Prayers, Love,Courage and more
Liz Ben Pam James
So glad to hear that you are having some better days. Hope your move to Kaiser today goes well and that you continue to get excellent care there. Good luck on your next round of chemo and hope that you are able to keep up your strength and keep eating real food. As always our prayers are with you today and everyday. Much love The Riddiough Family
Korrine,
I've been reading your blog for about two months now and never quite knew what to say but I keep thinking, if I were a young girl such as you, I would be so grateful to get LOTS of mail and notes. So, I will no longer wait for tomorrow! I think both you and your family are truly amazing and strong people. As we said grace at dinner last night not only did we thank God for the food that we were about to eat but thanked God that Korrine is able to eat food again too! I went to the blood bank at UCSF on May 30th to give blood for you with a friend. We are both A Negative like you. I was so excited to think that if I were to give you some of my blood, someday when you are on the Olympic Swimming Team (for which I believe you are destined!) that in some small little way, I would be there too! Silly huh? Anyway, God Bless you and your family and keep up that fighting spirit of yours and know that you are an inspiration to so many and that you cannot possibly imagine how many adults you are teaching right now. Teaching us gratitude, to fight for what you want, to cherish every moment of every day, to be a little more patient with our kids, and to love life and smile. I think you are amazing and wish you well today as you start your next round of Chemo. Know that probably thousands of people are praying for you and are there with you in spirit giving you hope and strength. We all love you!
Hi Korrine! I'm thinking of you today as you make your way to Oakland. I am constantly amazed by your strength and am so glad to hear that good days have found their way to you. You deserve them!
We are praying for you everyday and praise God that you are doing better. We will continue to pray for you and your family as you inch closer to getting back to what you love to do. God Bless you. Your strength and faith are a testimony to all who follow your blog. In Christ, the DuPuis Family from Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
You go girl !! We are so proud of you. You are doing so awesome and are such and incredible young lady. I don't know you or your family, but I would love to meet you all some day. You are such an inspiration to this community. I think and pray for you often...
Good Morning CutiePie!
Thinking of you and praying for your healing, strength and peace during this round of chemo. He is right there with you and I hope you can feel His love surrounding you. I'm sending all the good vibes I have, and a great big hug to my favorite warrior princess. LiveSTRONG girl!!
Love,
Sue Bakalar
All my thoughts and prayers are with you today Korrine as begin this round of chemo.
It is a beautiful day here in Livermore and a beautiful day to LIVESTRONG.
I am stronger today because of you.
All I have to do is look at your beautiful smiling face
You make me believe everything is possible.Thank-you Korrine.
julie gilmore
I am so inspired by Korrine's strength and your famiy's love. I check this website everyday to see how Korrine is doing. I'm SO happy to hear that prayers are being answered and that Korrine is doing better (can walk the halls, is eating/drinking food, and even being transfered to Kaiser). My thoughts and prayers continue to be with your family. I know Korrine will beat this terrible disease and Livestrong! :)
Much love and lots of prayers to you!
Gina (Tamika Riddiough's friend)
Hi Korrine...Hope your change of scenery is good for your soul! I'll be praying as chemo starts again tomorrow. You're almost finished with those treatments now! Hooray! I'm glad that being in Oakland brings you that much closer to being at HOME! Love, Lorri
Hey Korrine! You are on Day 2 of your new round of Chemo. As promised, Melinda, Allison, Audrey, Taylor and I prayed for you off and on throughout our trip from Colorado. We saw BEAUTIFUL things of God's Creation. There were REALLY Birds and Antelope playing! I could not stop laughing when the irony of that hit me! We were in Wyoming and I pointed it out to Allison (she is my 7 year old granddaughter). Then SHE started laughing and we had to pull over till we all calmed down!And THEN we started up again when we got down the way and there was a sign that advertised Buffalo hunting. Oh my.. Home home on the range, where the birds and the antelope play, Oh give me a HOME where the Buffalo Roam and the skies are not cloudy all day!.. oh my.. I MUST stop.. I'm starting to giggle again! Well girly girl.. I just wanted to let you know that you continue to be in our family daily! I am amazed at you. You are an inspiration, an example and I am proud to call you my little friend. I love your family so much!
Talk to you soon.
home, home on the...
oh STOP it Arla!
Take CARE!
Blessings and hugs,
Arla
thinking of you and your family Korrine, and wishing you strength!! love, Jill (Klinke) Hoffman and Todd Hoffman (MSJ class of 92 and 91)
Hi Korrine...trusting that you are comfortably moved into your old/new setting. I bet your nurses are so glad to have you back. If everything is on track, you have chemo today. I'm sorry that you have to do more treatments but it does speak to your health and strength that you are able to do it. I'll be remembering you in prayer and asking God to be especially gracious to your body in this round. God's covering over you is LOVE! Because we are His, Lorri
Korrine:
Hope you are in your new digs....and you are feeing better!
I know you wanted to participate in your 8th grade grad ceremonies..but did you know last week when your name was read for Honor Rolls there was a thundering roar of applause and cheers?
You are loved and being prayed for! You go girl!
Thinking about you all day here.
Trish
Korrine,
We send you lots of hugs and prayers from San Diego. We think of you often, keep fighting on. Your strength is bringing people together...it's an amazing thing.
Hey, girlie! You are doing super great! I am so proud of you. Hang in there with that khemo, and keep playing cards...win another game for me... ;) I know that God is with you right now, because I asked him to be, and I know I am not the only one who has asked him, so that is extra super!
Be good for me, and liveSTRONG! :)
Love,
Kimberly
Just wanted to let you know that we thinking about you tonight while calling on those angels~La Familia Cortez
Hi Korrine and family!
Just stopping in to say Hi and to tell you that I am thinking of you. I hope that you are settled in back at Kaiser and handling your chemo okay. I pray that it continues to stop the cancer and that you will get stronger.
School ends for me on Friday, so I plan to have more time to pray for you!
Love,
Cindy Vance
Korrine,
Just want you to know how much I'm thinking of you this week. I know that chemo has probably started and I do hope you are still feeling OK. My brother started his chemo again this week. He'll have another 12 sessions!
I know how very much you want to be at your Advancement this week... and though won't be there physically... you will surely be there in every student that is recognized. You have brought such joy and inspiration to all your classmates and teachers... and I know that they will all feel your presence with them. YOU WILL be with them that day and always.
As important as the lessons that teachers teach their students (and of course I have to say that with your Dad and Uncle Mark in education!), YOU, Korrine, have taught us all so much more about life's lessons. Those are the lessons we all need to learn to be good people and to change the world...
much love to you and your family! ~kathy t.
Happy Graduation Day Korrine!
You are now a HIGHSCHOOLER!
Can you believe it?
Celebrating YOU today!
Love, Lorri
Post a Comment