"Let no one ever come to you without leaving better and happier. Be the living expression of God's kindness; kindness in your face, kindness in your eyes, kindness in your smile, kindness in your warm greeting."
Mother Teresa
Cancer stripped her of everything including her life but it could not steal away God's LOVE, PEACE and the JOY that radiated through her. Korrine never stopped SMILING!
Korrine Lannie Croghan
Korrine Croghan was a vivacious 14-year-old girl who lived all of her life in Livermore, CA. She had a love for animals, sports, and most of all, family. Korrine was a straight “A” student while attending Mendenhall Middle School and was working hard in her first trimester at Granada High. She was a great friend to many and was everything that a brother, mother and father could ask for in a daughter. Korrine was the type of girl who would greet you with a wide smile and look into your eyes and truly would want to know how you were doing
Korrine & Cancer
On December 20th, 2007, Korrine was diagnosed with Choriocarcinoma with a germ cell element. Choriocarcinoma is a very rare type of cancer in teenage girls and inflicts less than 200 nationwide each year. Although the cancer started in her left ovary, the cancer had spread to her right ovary, lungs and liver. After the removal of a cantaloupe sized tumor in her left ovary on December 21st of 2007, Korrine, endured 10 months of intense chemotherapy designed for adult men.
During the course of her treatment, Korrine suffered many complications. In early April of 2007, her liver began to bleed. After staying at Kaiser Oakland for almost two weeks, Korrine was transfered to UCSF and spent a month in the intensive care unit. The doctors at UCSF Medical Center were finally able to stop her bleeding liver, but, not before it filled her abdomen with 5 liters of blood that had to be drained via a tube inserted into her stomach. On top of that, both of Korrines’ lungs collapsed while undergoing a CT scan that almost took her life. Because of that, 2 liters of fluid needed to be drained off of her lungs with the use of another drainage tube. Throughout her treatment Korrine needed numerous blood and platelet transfusions. She had nosebleeds that lasted an hour on several occasions. At one point, she had 18 intravenous tubes running through her body filled with anti-bacterials, anti-fungals, nutrition, painkillers and chemotherapy. Korrine miraculously made it through those tough days at UCSF and returned to Kaiser Hospital in Oakland. She was finally stable and was released to go home in late June. Just as things were starting to look up for her, she suffered septic shock in July that forced her to go back into intensive care at Kaiser in Santa Clara for 2 weeks.
Korrine returned home in late July and went through imaging scans to see if the cancer had disappeared. The scans always came back good, but not great. In an effort to kill and stop the remaining cancer cells, she underwent an emergency round of chemotherapy in early September. Unfortunately, it did kill the remaining cancer and her doctors had run out of options.
Korrine spent her last days at home with her family reading books and loving on her cats and dog. She passed away quietly, at home, on October 27th, 2008. Through it all, Korrine had a positive attitude and never gave up or complained. Many consider Korrine a hero.
Team KC
The Team KC website was originally started as a way to encourage, educate, raise awareness, and keep friends and family informed with accurate information on Korrine's treatment and progress. Family, classmates, friends, community members, and complete strangers rallied to support Korrine and her family through her fight against Choriocarcinoma. We were amazed by the amount of support we received, and it is now our desire to give back. In March, 2009, Team KC became an official nonprofit by joining forces with Kaiser Foundation Hospital. All monies raised by Team KC will directly benefit pediatric cancer patients and their families. All monetary contributions are tax deductible.
Our Mission: To help improve the quality of life of pediatric cancer patients and their families. We wish to supply children with fun activities, toys and anything else that will brighten and better their lives. Monies will also be used to help parents pay for bills and defray the costs of gas, food and lodging that go along with caring for a child with cancer.
Stay Positive, LIVESTRONG & Welcome to Team KC!
*This is the official Team KC website and the only website approved by the Croghan family. Please do not use content, images, or video from this site without permission. This is an effort to respect the family's privacy and ensure that all content is accurate and approved. Thank you for your cooperation.
A Note From Korrine (written after her 4th round of Chemo)...
Hello everyone! It's me, Korrine. I just wanted to take a
moment to thank each and every one of you for supporting me through emails,
visits, food, gifts, and most importantly, prayer. Without it, I probably
wouldn't have made it this far. Anyways, on a happier note, I am happy to
announce that I am feeling very good. This last round of chemo hit me pretty
hard, but I think that it is more exiting to end things with a big BANG! I will
try to start writing things for the blog now that my chemo therapy is over, but
until then, just know that I love every single one of you and I am always
thinking about my family, friends, and even the people who I've never met
before. Thanks for joining my battle and for making this experience "The
Experience of a Lifetime." LIVESTRONG! And stay positive.
Korrine Lannie Croghan
Happy 4th of July to everyone. Thank you to our Men and Women in Service and to all who have come before them who have given up so much so that we may live in Freedom.
Our time with Korrine at home was wonderful. Korrine ate well and requested special homemade dishes that she loves. Korrine was able to eat without vomitting. She even managed to gain 1 1/2 pounds while home. She read a couple of books, we played games and she even floated in a pool. It was good medicine to be home for five days for the entire family. It was great.
She went back into the hospital on Wednesday and went into surgery to have a central (Medi Port) placed into her chest. She started her Chemo that evening.
She has had more platelets and red blood transfusions and we are deeply thankful to our donors. It is such a blessing for Korrine to receive A- blood products because her body does not fight against the A- blood it accepts it and the blood goes to work in her body. A- blood is of course rare and we are so thankful to all of you who are able to donate.
The results from the Cat Scan are as follows: The Doctors have told us that the lungs look good. Korrine's liver is still enlarged and they need to compare all the Cat Scan's from UCSF against the Cat Scan's from Kaiser. The Doctors will be meeting to discuss Korrine's Liver and when we know more information we will let Team KC know. Isn't it a blessing and a true answer to prayer that Korrine's lungs have responded well to her chemo treatments? I believe God is good and our prayers will continue to be answered especially in regards to her liver. Be watchful; stand firm on your faith; be courageous be strong. 1 Corinthians 16:13.
Happy Fourth Of July,
Dana and Matt Croghan

47 comments:
Oh, how wonderful to hear that all those angels Team KC has called upon have been hard at work helping you heal, Korrine! You continue to be in our daily prayers. We ask for additional healing and that you may be able to return home again soon~La Familia Cortez
Happy Fourth of July Croghans!
Love,
Emma
Happy 4th of July Korrine!
I'm so excited to hear that you got to eat real food at home! That's so great!
It's also wonderful that your lungs look good! Hooray!
You are an amazing girl!
Love, Lorri
What wonderful news! Thank you for sharing it with us. We check your blog at least once per day and you are always in our thoughts and prayers. May God bless you all and continue to give you courage and strength.
PS: I saw 2 women wearing Team KC shirts in Bed Bath and Beyond in Dublin on Tuesday. So many people love you!
Love, The Nagy Family
Good morning, Korrine! I hope you have a happy 4th. I'm so glad you got to spend time with your family; and especially that you found your way out to the pool so soon ;)
Be strong; my thoughts and prayers will reach you from half way around the world today---you might notice a 1/15th second delay.
Happy Independence Day Korrine and Family! We celebrate our Country's independence and give thanks for our dependence on God. We are depending with you, loving you, hoping with you and belieiving with you!
THe Esmeyer Family
Happy 4th of July to all of you also,
SUCH good news for you dear Korrine. As your mom said, keep strong, and soon we can see you home for good. It has been a long time for you and you have been through more than most people , and that is putting it mildly. We love you and will continue our prayers to you.
Love from,
Ian and Debby and fm.
Happy 4th of July!
It was great to read that Korrine was able to enjoy 5 days at home, eat her favorite meals, gain weight and get into the pool and I can't wait to read that these activities become the "norm" again! Great news about the lungs and we will pray that the news about the liver will be as positive! We will continue to pray that you have all the A- blood and platlets that you need and of course, for your complete healing. You're doing great Korrine - you're an outstanding example to all of us on how to LiveSTRONG!
Hugs to all,
Glenda, Richard & Kirra
Happy 4th!
Good news to hear! What a great boost to the spirit to be home for a bit, eat some good food, float in a pool, and just be in familiar surroundings! That's awesome! I hope you will be able to see fireworks from your room at Kaiser, and celebrate not only our freedom as a country but also our freedom in Christ today!
You are fighting the good fight, you are keeping the faith! Amen!
Diane Shore
Happy 4th of July CutiePie!
What fantastic news about your lungs, and that you had a great time at home. I'm so thrilled for you!! You are such a warrior with such amazing strength... I'm in awe of you.
I'll be thinking of you tonight as I watch the beauty of the fireworks and praying that you are enjoying them as well.
Love,
Sue
Happy 4 th of July !
I have been praying for all of you and especialy for Korrine's healing, but also for her to get back into the pool and it brought tears to my eye's to read that she was able to do so !!
Thank you God for hearing all our prayers, for her lungs to look better and for the time spend at home.
love Annet Hammond
Dear Croghans, thank you for always taking the time to update Team KC on Korrine's FABULOUS fighting spirit! How very healing that Korrine got to spend such quality time with her family in her comfy, homey surroundings. I am so grateful and buoyed up to hear about the improvement in Korrine's lungs. My continued prayers for healing of Korrine's liver are being sent to God daily. I hope you can enjoy the fireworks from the hospital. Happy 4th of July....continue to LIVESTRONG!!
Blessings, Victoria
Wonderful news about Korrine's lungs! We are so thankful for the time you all had to be together at home, hang on to those memories as the hospital stay begins again. I pray God's grace in abundance each and every day. (and night) He is so faitful and I know I am honored to join your family in this seemingly small way of praying as often as you come to mind - which by His Spirit is often!
Your willingness to update us through this blog, while I know is time-consuming, is so helpful for us as we approach the very throne of God for your needs. He knows them more intimately than even you share, because He made her, but it helps the "army" out here. The fight is the Lord's!! Wow that He invites us to share.
May God richly bless you this day -and we will pray for wonderful results as the doctors compare liver information. Looking forward to hearing Korinne is at home again - where she belongs!!
Love - The Winegarner family
Happpy 4th of July to you as well Croghan family. We are so thankful that your results came back that she is starting to heal that is wondeful news. We will continue to pray for her liver and that it to will begin to heal. I am so happy that Korrine was able to be at home and sounds like it was just what she needed. I am sure all of you needed it! That is great that she gained a little bit of weight every bit counts and helps her strength. Homecoooked meals will always do the trick. I bet that time in the pool was great theropy even if just to the soul, just what you needed.. You are truly one amazing girl! Thank you again for the updates it is so much appreciated.
Our love and prayers are with you always.
The Riddiough Family
Happy Fourth of July Korrine and Family!
I know you would rather NOT be in a hospital room today, but I am hoping that someone will sneak some sparklers in, and a little potato salad too! :-)
I'm praying that this last round of chemo is going smoothly, and that it will rid every last cancer cell from your body. We are praying that you will be home again soon, and that COMPLETE healing will be yours.
Sending you lots of love today from 900 miles away...
Blessings today and always,
Denise Kofford and Family Ü
Happy Fourth Of July to All!
Korrine,
I am so happy that your 5 days at home went so well! I continue to pray for your healing so you can go home for good. I am so glad that you were able to eat while you were home. I hope that gives you extra strength through this round of chemo.
Dana, Matt and Sean,
How wonderful it must have felt to have Korrine home with you! You are such a beautiful family and I pray that you will all be home together soon.
Love,
Cindy Vance
Hi all Croghans!
1.5 lbs!!! what a hoot. that just prooves your body is healing and wants to grow stronger! I know your athleticism is absolutely trying to make a comeback so you can get back into the pool with your teammates. keep livingstrong and we'll keep praying strong. Thank you and your family for renewing my faith. its awesome, and so are you all.
Korrine, Sean, Dana and Matt,
Happy 4th of July! We join you in thanking the men and women who serve our country to guarantee our freedom.
I am so happy to hear that Korrine's time home was so wonderful. I just knew it would be! I am glad she was able to enjoy home cooked meals and get in the water.
News on how positive the lungs look is AWESOME. We'll continue to pray for the same GREAT news when the doctors look at all of the liver scans.
Korrine, you are truly a warrior that inspires us each and every day. Thank you, and your family, for allowing us to pray and send positive thoughts for complete healing to you!
hugs and much love, kathy t.
Hi Korrine! Yaaa! Floating in the pool and eating your favorite yummy grub! That's livin'! We're so happy for you sweety! We're so grateful you got to be home in your own room and be with your family! We love you bunches!! You're always in our hearts and prayers! =D
Matt and Dana: We're so grateful that you were able to have your beautiful little girl home and be there together as a family. We pray you were able to rest and relax. How wonderful to see her floating in a pool and eating home-cookin' all together! Yaaa! =)
Sean: It's so obvious why God hand-picked you, and only you, to be Korrine's lil' bro! You rock! We're so proud of your courage and support and love for your sister! We pray for you bunches sweety!
Love and prayers,
The Gilberts
Korrine,
I'm so happy you were able to enjoy time at home.
You are always in my thoughts and prayers.
Happy 4th of July!
Love,
Madison
Dear Croghans,
I am delighted to hear how wonderful your family time was in Livermore. What a blessing that must have been. Even more to praise God about is the news about Korrine's clear lungs!!
I'll keep praying.
Go, Korrine!
Love, Mrs. Scarbrough
Korrine-
I hope you enjoyed your 4th of July!
I saw another traffic sign today, and it said something like" lane ends here, merge left" of something like that. It made me think of you and all other cancer patients, (in your case) ending the battle, and merging towards your dreams and goals, with an easier road ahead of you. It also made me think of people who have just found out they have cancer, taking a slightly different road, a road to a fight and battle, but still ending good, on a new paved road, closer to their destination, after they pass and go through the hills and rocky roads.
We are so happy your lungs looked good on the scan. You are a shining star, and a blessing from God. I know personally, without your story, I would be lost in confusion about how a family member of mine could go through this difficult process called cancer. Then I learned from you, there is a thing called Hope, I need to Pray Often, and I need to have Faith in the Lord that everything will be alright.
LiveSTRONG!
Good morning Korrine...thinking of you as always. After I came back home the other day after my surgery, Olivia ran into my bathroom. She returned with something very important and placed it around my wrist. Do you know what it was? My LiveStrong band that I wear for you. :)
Your last chemo is almost done!!!
Love to all of you, Lorri
Happy 4th Croghans! What wonderful news to hear Korrine's visit home was so peaceful and calming for her. We are standing strong in our prayers that she will continue to heal in every way. In God's name we pray, amen!!
Love, The Aboumrads
We rejoice before the Lord for the good news of the CT scan. We look forward to hearing about the complete healing of Korinne's liver. May God give you mercy, grace, comfort, and relief from pain or fear. We don't know you, but we love you with the Love of the Lord.
We had some families over for the 4th of July and so many of them have been praying for you. It was such a blessing to hear everyone talking about how great you are doing and what an inspiration you are. Do you understand how many people are praying for you...so many you have never met. You are covered in love and prayers and God is hearing our cries!!!
Hello Sweet Croghans,
Stephen and I are praising the Lord in this great news. Happy
5th of July (we just got home from Arizona). This is the greatest news we've heard in several days.
God Bless,
Stephen and Rebecca
Good Evening Croghans!
Just checking in on you all and praying that chemo is going okay... it's almost over! StaySTRONG!!
Love to you all,
Sue
Dear Croghan Family,
We are happy to hear that you were able to spend some quality time together at home! Praise God for the good news about Korrine's lungs! We pray that He will give the doctor's wisdom regarding her liver and that He will heal her completely so you may be able to spend MORE time at home together!
Love,
The McNairs
Hi Korrine,
Uncle Mark and I in Twain Harte and leaving soon for home. Just wanted to say hi and that we miss you and look forward to seeing you when we get back. Can't wait to bring you and your family up here when you are up to it. We only caught one fish while we were out on Pinecrest Lake yesterday, but it was good size. We think they must be waiting for you :) It is so beautiful up here you will love it! Say hi to your mom, dad & Sean for us!Love you so,
Auntie Denise & Uncle Mark
Happy Sunday Korrine~
I was thinking of you again today and praying it is a good day for you. You're almost finished! WHOOHOO!!
Love,
Sue
Happy 4th Of July Croghan Family!!! I love you all!!
Good morning Korrine...if my calculations are correct, today should be your last day of chemo? Hope I'm right! Thinking of you and praying you feel better today. Love, Lorri
What great news! I'm so happy to hear about Korrine gaining some weight and floating in a pool. It is also wonderful that the CT Scan showed good results for her lungs. We continue to pray daily for Korrine and the Croghan family. You are all so strong! LIVESTRONG, love, janet
Hey Korrine,
Just checking in and hoping that all is going well with this round of Chemo. We are continuing to pray that you sail through the next few days - that your fever remains down, your lungs continue to do well, that your heart rate remains normal, and that this is the final round of chemo that you have to endure. We are also praying that the recent scan of your liver has shown remarkable improvement when compared to your other liver scans. We are praying to the Lord for your complete healing and that you'll be home again very soon.
Hugs your way,
Glenda, Richard, & Kirra Thornton
Korrine, it was so wonderful hearing about your lungs and how you got to come home float in the pool and eat enough to put on some weight. It is going to make you that much stronger for this next round of chemo. We are all praying everyday for you, that you become stronger and stronger and you will be back home for good real soon. We love you Korrine!! Steve,Jackie,Katie and Aimee Paredez
That is fantastic! You are doing great Korrine! Love, Anja
Korrine, Sean, Dana and Matt,
Just checking in to say hello! I'm guessing chemo should be about wrapped up by now. I'm sure you are very glad!
I was just looking around online and caught a quote in a health article on AOL. It said, "Faith is not simply believing that God can... It is knowing that He will."
I really like it. It made me think of TEAM KC and all the prayers and positive thoughts that are sent your way, every minute, of every hour, of every day. They will always continue and they are show themselves in every sound, every whisper, every smile, every flower...
You are all loved so very much!
hugs, kathy t.
Croghan Family! Just checking in and what wonderful news to hear that Korrine was able to enjoy time at home, have REAL food, enjoy a REAL pool, an awesome environment to continue the healing process! So awesome! We continue to pray and love the fact that you take time to update us all...we only want the best for Korrine and her family!
Stay cool and liveSTRONG!
The Heinz Family
Hi Croghans!
Just checking in on you again, and thought I'd say howdy today. Hope things are going well and that CutiePie is getting some rest and gaining strength after this last round of chemo. You are all in my thoughts and prayers. Much love and many hugs to you all.
Love,
Sue
Happy Fourth (a bit late..)!!! I having been thinking of you Korrine and wishing I was back in California to check up on you ;) You are one of the bravest and strongest girls I have ever known, and I was so blessed to meet you in my time at UC. I love reading updates online- so great to hear about the lungs and I am so happy that you got to go home for a visit and take that dip in the pool you have been dreaming of for so long!! Matt and Dana you two are amazing and I think of you all each day! Know that your love is making miracles happen! Miss you!! love always,
Becca =)
Hi Croghans,
I think this round should be over, right? We have prayed consistently for it to be smooth. SUCH good news that you have made so much progress, Korrine! God is good.
Korrine, can I ask a favor? We have a person we know named Bill that had a stroke today. He is the "other grandpa" of my granddaughter, Hope Grace. My son's ex-father-in-law. Can you please pray for Bill to have the strength and courage and faith like you have shown? Bill doesn't know the Lord. He's in ICU in Modesto and very frustrated because at this point he cannot speak. So, we need all the strong faith of precious warriors like you. I know some will think me presumptuous to ask this of you, but I think you "get it". God will honor your prayers in a special way! Thank you!
StaySTRONG sweet Korrine!
Blessings & hugs,
Arla & fam
Hey Korrine,
Just thinking about you and praying that you are well. Praying too that you are D O N E with chemo. We love you. We pray with you.
The Esmeyer Family
Hi Korrine...praying today that the effects of chemo are working and that the side effects of chemo are gone! Hope you have a good day and get to go home again really, really soon! Love, Lorri
Hi Korrine!
I was praying for you this morning, lifting you up to our Heavenly Father and bringing you in prayer before His throne of grace. He loves you so much, Korrine! I'm praying that even as you read this that you experience His peace that surpasses all understanding (Phil. 4:6-7).
Love in Jesus,
Denise Adams
Hi Korrine,
Just checking in to see how you're doing - If we are counting correctly, you should be finished with this round of Chemo and our prayers are that this was the last round of chemo that you have to go through. As we continue to pray for your complete healing, we pray that you are able to get out of the hospital so you can heal at home.
Hugs and prayers,
Glenda, Richard, & Kirra
Happy Fourth to you and thank you for finding time to say thank you to all those Americans. Currently my family is amoung many American military and it is a wonderment to see the patriotism protrayed.
God Bless the families who are serving this country.
God Bless the Croghan family for showing the rest of us how to LiveStrong.
Continued prayers,
Liz Ben Pam and James
Post a Comment