"Let no one ever come to you without leaving better and happier. Be the living expression of God's kindness; kindness in your face, kindness in your eyes, kindness in your smile, kindness in your warm greeting."
Mother Teresa

Smile

Cancer stripped her of everything including her life but it could not steal away God's LOVE, PEACE and the JOY that radiated through her. Korrine never stopped SMILING!
Korrine Lannie Croghan

Korrine Croghan was a vivacious 14-year-old girl who lived all of her life in Livermore, CA. She had a love for animals, sports, and most of all, family. Korrine was a straight “A” student while attending Mendenhall Middle School and was working hard in her first trimester at Granada High. She was a great friend to many and was everything that a brother, mother and father could ask for in a daughter. Korrine was the type of girl who would greet you with a wide smile and look into your eyes and truly would want to know how you were doing

Korrine & Cancer

On December 20th, 2007, Korrine was diagnosed with Choriocarcinoma with a germ cell element. Choriocarcinoma is a very rare type of cancer in teenage girls and inflicts less than 200 nationwide each year. Although the cancer started in her left ovary, the cancer had spread to her right ovary, lungs and liver. After the removal of a cantaloupe sized tumor in her left ovary on December 21st of 2007, Korrine, endured 10 months of intense chemotherapy designed for adult men.

During the course of her treatment, Korrine suffered many complications. In early April of 2007, her liver began to bleed. After staying at Kaiser Oakland for almost two weeks, Korrine was transfered to UCSF and spent a month in the intensive care unit. The doctors at UCSF Medical Center were finally able to stop her bleeding liver, but, not before it filled her abdomen with 5 liters of blood that had to be drained via a tube inserted into her stomach. On top of that, both of Korrines’ lungs collapsed while undergoing a CT scan that almost took her life. Because of that, 2 liters of fluid needed to be drained off of her lungs with the use of another drainage tube. Throughout her treatment Korrine needed numerous blood and platelet transfusions. She had nosebleeds that lasted an hour on several occasions. At one point, she had 18 intravenous tubes running through her body filled with anti-bacterials, anti-fungals, nutrition, painkillers and chemotherapy. Korrine miraculously made it through those tough days at UCSF and returned to Kaiser Hospital in Oakland. She was finally stable and was released to go home in late June. Just as things were starting to look up for her, she suffered septic shock in July that forced her to go back into intensive care at Kaiser in Santa Clara for 2 weeks.

Korrine returned home in late July and went through imaging scans to see if the cancer had disappeared. The scans always came back good, but not great. In an effort to kill and stop the remaining cancer cells, she underwent an emergency round of chemotherapy in early September. Unfortunately, it did kill the remaining cancer and her doctors had run out of options.

Korrine spent her last days at home with her family reading books and loving on her cats and dog. She passed away quietly, at home, on October 27th, 2008. Through it all, Korrine had a positive attitude and never gave up or complained. Many consider Korrine a hero.

Team KC

The Team KC website was originally started as a way to encourage, educate, raise awareness, and keep friends and family informed with accurate information on Korrine's treatment and progress. Family, classmates, friends, community members, and complete strangers rallied to support Korrine and her family through her fight against Choriocarcinoma. We were amazed by the amount of support we received, and it is now our desire to give back. In March, 2009, Team KC became an official nonprofit by joining forces with Kaiser Foundation Hospital. All monies raised by Team KC will directly benefit pediatric cancer patients and their families. All monetary contributions are tax deductible.

Our Mission: To help improve the quality of life of pediatric cancer patients and their families. We wish to supply children with fun activities, toys and anything else that will brighten and better their lives. Monies will also be used to help parents pay for bills and defray the costs of gas, food and lodging that go along with caring for a child with cancer.

Stay Positive, LIVESTRONG & Welcome to Team KC!

*This is the official Team KC website and the only website approved by the Croghan family. Please do not use content, images, or video from this site without permission. This is an effort to respect the family's privacy and ensure that all content is accurate and approved. Thank you for your cooperation.
A Note From Korrine (written after her 4th round of Chemo)...

Hello everyone! It's me, Korrine. I just wanted to take a
moment to thank each and every one of you for supporting me through emails,
visits, food, gifts, and most importantly, prayer. Without it, I probably
wouldn't have made it this far. Anyways, on a happier note, I am happy to
announce that I am feeling very good. This last round of chemo hit me pretty
hard, but I think that it is more exiting to end things with a big BANG! I will
try to start writing things for the blog now that my chemo therapy is over, but
until then, just know that I love every single one of you and I am always
thinking about my family, friends, and even the people who I've never met
before. Thanks for joining my battle and for making this experience "The
Experience of a Lifetime." LIVESTRONG! And stay positive.

Korrine Lannie Croghan

Friday, June 6, 2008

THe Team KC Blood Drive is TODAY!

The UCSF Blood Mobile will be at the Smith Elementary School today!

Address:
391 Ontario Dr.
Livermore, CA

Time:
8:00 AM - 12:30 PM on

Date:
Friday, June 6th

If you have A- blood, you can donate directly to Korrine. If you are not A-, but still want to donate, your blood will go to the many patients in need at The UCSF Med Center.

Thank you Janet and Robin for doing this and thank you to all of the blood donors. You truly are doing a beautiful thing!

Love
Matt and Dana

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

Korrine-
It's about 12:03 p.m. on Friday in Livermore, and I just heard from my dad who is donating blood, that there were about 30 people in front of him in the line to donate blood! It sounds like there are a LOT of people there, because he has been there for about an hour!!
That is great, and I can't wait until I am old enough to donate! We are all thinking about you and praying for you!
LIVEstrong!

Anonymous said...

Praise God for all the many people who showed up to donate today in Korrine's name. God is working in a powerful way through a special girl, even as she is in the hospital!! This truly is an amazing girl with a amazing story!

Anonymous said...

Hey, Korrine -
I hope you're feeling well today. It is a beautiful day here in Livermore. Not only is the weather great, but you should see all the people at Smith School waiting to donate blood. When I dropped my son off this morning, there was a HUGE line of people. When I passed by again about 11:30 there was still a HUGE line of people. And, no, they weren't the same people. HaHa! That's what I mean about a beautiful day. The entire community (and then some) is out here to help you in any way we can. I wasn't able to donate today because I just did at UCSF a few weeks ago, but I hear there might be another bloodmobile out this summer. I'll be there then. Rest up and keep up the great fight!

Anonymous said...

Hey, Korrine-
I hope you're feeling well today. It's a beautiful day here in Livermore. Not only is the weather beautiful, but you should see the HUGE line to donate blood at Smith School. When I dropped my son off at 8:25, the line was HUGE. When I went by again at 11:20, it was still HUGE! And, no, they weren't the same people. HAHA! What a wonderful community your family has chosen to live in. We all want to help in any way we can. That's what I mean by a beautiful day (all the beautiful and giving people). I hope you have a restful weekend and can get outside for some fresh air. You're doing a great job!

Anonymous said...

Hi - I just read about the blood drive today in the Independent newspaper. So sorry I'm missing it! I have type A- blood and would love to help if I ever can. I am a Pleasanton mom and my oldest daughter is 13-1/2. Please contact me if ever needed (and I am a total donor-chicken, but I've done it before!)

Good Luck & God Bless!
Lorraine
hamlinclan@sbcglobal.net

Anonymous said...

Despite the relative scarcity of A- donors, there sure were a lot of us this morning! I was a drop-in. Thanks for accomodating me :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Korrine and Family,
It was so great to meet Major yesterday (he is so cute!), but more importantly it was so awesome to see you looking so good and so strong! Hope today is another great day! Thinking of you.
Cheers,
Amy :)

Anonymous said...

Korrine,

What a wonderful turnout for the drive. They were turning people away as the line was too long for the time left and I heard there would be another blood drive in August. We will pray for you and any others who receive the blood for complete healing.

Anonymous said...

Korrine,

Wow, what a turn out at the blood drive this morning. I wish I was A-, but it was an honor to donate blood in your name. From what I gathered while in line, most people there were A-. I hope that means UCSF will have plenty of A- for you when/if you need it in the future.

Congrats on your 4.0 :) Happy Birthday to Sean.

My daughters and I pray for you every night. I think about you and check your blog many times a day. Keep fighting. You are amazing and strong and an inspiration to many!

Great job with the blood drive Janet and Robin.

Debbie Ackerman

Anonymous said...

Korrine,

I was not at the blood drive, but I spoke to Robin after school and it sounds like it was a truely amazing day.

I'm so proud of all of those who waited in line for hours came from far away, and brought lunch to workers. It's so good to know that the world is still filled with amazing and wonderful people. In the media, we always hear about the horrible, but I think the wonderful still out number them.

What a glorious day! I feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Keep fighting, LIVEstrong and we continue to pray for you everyday.

Wendy Campbell and family

Anonymous said...

Korrine,
My uncle has A- blood, and donated for you! I am so happy that he came, and did it...I am still working on the effects of the slide-show that I am making you for promotion. The only things missing are the pictures...I guess I will have to wait until Thrusday to take those. But, I will definately get it done for you soon.

LIVEstong,
Kimberly Ackley :)

Anonymous said...

Korrine,
My uncle has A- blood, and donated for you! I am so happy that he came, and did it...I am still working on the effects of the slide-show that I am making you for promotion. The only things missing are the pictures...I guess I will have to wait until Thrusday to take those. But, I will definately get it done for you soon.

LIVEstong,
Kimberly Ackley :)

Anonymous said...

Korrine,
George Strait has a song out called "I Saw God Today." It's about how even though we go to church and read the Bible, we often forget to notice God's presence in small ways in our everyday lives. Every time I hear the song, I am reminded to look for evidence of God around me. I saw God today, this morning at the blood drive.

Anonymous said...

I was at the blood drive today and yes it is amazing how many wonderful people came out to show support and donate for you. Many of whom were A-, I am not sure what my blood type is but I dontated anyway. Hopefully if it cant help you it will help someone else in need. Keep fighting and keep smiling, you are amazing and so loved by many people. Staystrong and livestrong.
My thoughts and prayers are with you today and everyday.. =)
Love Tamika Riddiough

Anonymous said...

What a GREAT turnout at the blood drive today! You are so loved, Korrine. We continue to pray and think of you and your family everyday.

The Nagy Family

Sue said...

Hey Korrine!

I hope you could feel the love being sent to you today! The blood drive was incredible, and it just shows how many people you touch -- whether they know you personally or not.
StaySTRONG and know we love you and are praying for you and your family.

Love,
Sue Bakalar

Janet Hemmig said...

Hey Korrine,

What a great day at the Blood Drive. There were so many A- people who waited over 2 hours just to donate to you. All of the UCSF staff was awesome. Chuck is quite a character and made everyone laugh. I am so glad we were able to have the blood drive.

Thank you to all the wonderful donors who came out. Thank you to everyone who brought us more ice, drinks and cookies. Thank you also to Renee March for her cookie sales. Thank you to Heather Demo for bringing us sandwiches. And thank you to the blood donor who brought In & Out burgers to the UCSF Bloodmobile Nurses. And a big thank you everyone who helped make this happen.

It was a day I will not forget. I hope you are feeling stronger. LIVESTRONG sweet girl!

Love, Janet

Anonymous said...

Korrine,
After reading the blog about how successful that your blood drive was it warms my heart. I am not A-, but B+ and so wanted to be there to donate in your name(even if you could not use my blood) But unfortunately I had a family memorial service to attend in Marin. I was however to track down 3 of my very good friends in the San Ramon area that are A- and they headed on over to the drive to donate for you. I will donate for you in your name if another drive is held in August as I am up to a 3 Gallon doner. What an amzaning day it must have been in Livermore yesterday and I wish that I could have been apart of it. I hope that you were feeling all the wonderful thoughts and prayers as each gallon was being donated in YOUR NAME! Gather your strength over the weekend, enjoy the wonderful weather and I will be praying and checking in on you multiple times a day as you begin your next round of Chemo. God Bless you Korrine and your family and the AMAZING community that donated for you. What a blessing you are!

Anonymous said...

Dear Korrine,

I don't know you but I wish I did! I have been reading for some time now but this is the first time leaving you a message. I really don't even know what to say except I think of you everyday and pray for you at the very moment I think of you. I am humbled by your courage and sweet spirit. You are making such an impact in so many peoples lives.

Congratulations on your 4.0 and Happy Birthday to your brother.

Lorri said...

Hi Korrine...sounds like you have lots of blood in the bank now which is wonderful!

Today I interupt this message to bring a special birthday wish to Sean: Happy Birthday! I made you a blog card on my site:
http://lorriscancerupdates.blogspot.com/
Hope you have a great day celebrating! Love, Lorri and the Steer family

Anonymous said...

Hello Korrine;

I am one of thousands.. Here in the whole state of Colorado.
We are at least a mile hire from the sea; Prayer's are being released in the wind, which is blown straight into the beautiful cloud's. We all know that our faith,will,hope,prayer's,and our total bond as ONE; Is in time going to overcome your illness with flying angel's with rainbow color's and as pure children of God! He need's blessed few to stay {as his only son had} to keep the belief's
in life never ending***
Korrine it is in your hands to stay and/or go home.
Believe in anything and everything because the soul is indeed your new bloom.
Love is all around you.
God bless;

Sue said...

Hey Beautiful Girl!

Just thinking about you and wanted to wish you a happy day. I went for a walk this morning and looked out towards San Francisco, hoping you were having a gorgeous, sunny day like we are.
LiveSTRONG and have a fabulous day!
Love,
Sue Bakalar

!!!!!!!!HAPPY BIRTHDAY SEAN!!!!!!