"Let no one ever come to you without leaving better and happier. Be the living expression of God's kindness; kindness in your face, kindness in your eyes, kindness in your smile, kindness in your warm greeting."
Mother Teresa

Smile

Cancer stripped her of everything including her life but it could not steal away God's LOVE, PEACE and the JOY that radiated through her. Korrine never stopped SMILING!
Korrine Lannie Croghan

Korrine Croghan was a vivacious 14-year-old girl who lived all of her life in Livermore, CA. She had a love for animals, sports, and most of all, family. Korrine was a straight “A” student while attending Mendenhall Middle School and was working hard in her first trimester at Granada High. She was a great friend to many and was everything that a brother, mother and father could ask for in a daughter. Korrine was the type of girl who would greet you with a wide smile and look into your eyes and truly would want to know how you were doing

Korrine & Cancer

On December 20th, 2007, Korrine was diagnosed with Choriocarcinoma with a germ cell element. Choriocarcinoma is a very rare type of cancer in teenage girls and inflicts less than 200 nationwide each year. Although the cancer started in her left ovary, the cancer had spread to her right ovary, lungs and liver. After the removal of a cantaloupe sized tumor in her left ovary on December 21st of 2007, Korrine, endured 10 months of intense chemotherapy designed for adult men.

During the course of her treatment, Korrine suffered many complications. In early April of 2007, her liver began to bleed. After staying at Kaiser Oakland for almost two weeks, Korrine was transfered to UCSF and spent a month in the intensive care unit. The doctors at UCSF Medical Center were finally able to stop her bleeding liver, but, not before it filled her abdomen with 5 liters of blood that had to be drained via a tube inserted into her stomach. On top of that, both of Korrines’ lungs collapsed while undergoing a CT scan that almost took her life. Because of that, 2 liters of fluid needed to be drained off of her lungs with the use of another drainage tube. Throughout her treatment Korrine needed numerous blood and platelet transfusions. She had nosebleeds that lasted an hour on several occasions. At one point, she had 18 intravenous tubes running through her body filled with anti-bacterials, anti-fungals, nutrition, painkillers and chemotherapy. Korrine miraculously made it through those tough days at UCSF and returned to Kaiser Hospital in Oakland. She was finally stable and was released to go home in late June. Just as things were starting to look up for her, she suffered septic shock in July that forced her to go back into intensive care at Kaiser in Santa Clara for 2 weeks.

Korrine returned home in late July and went through imaging scans to see if the cancer had disappeared. The scans always came back good, but not great. In an effort to kill and stop the remaining cancer cells, she underwent an emergency round of chemotherapy in early September. Unfortunately, it did kill the remaining cancer and her doctors had run out of options.

Korrine spent her last days at home with her family reading books and loving on her cats and dog. She passed away quietly, at home, on October 27th, 2008. Through it all, Korrine had a positive attitude and never gave up or complained. Many consider Korrine a hero.

Team KC

The Team KC website was originally started as a way to encourage, educate, raise awareness, and keep friends and family informed with accurate information on Korrine's treatment and progress. Family, classmates, friends, community members, and complete strangers rallied to support Korrine and her family through her fight against Choriocarcinoma. We were amazed by the amount of support we received, and it is now our desire to give back. In March, 2009, Team KC became an official nonprofit by joining forces with Kaiser Foundation Hospital. All monies raised by Team KC will directly benefit pediatric cancer patients and their families. All monetary contributions are tax deductible.

Our Mission: To help improve the quality of life of pediatric cancer patients and their families. We wish to supply children with fun activities, toys and anything else that will brighten and better their lives. Monies will also be used to help parents pay for bills and defray the costs of gas, food and lodging that go along with caring for a child with cancer.

Stay Positive, LIVESTRONG & Welcome to Team KC!

*This is the official Team KC website and the only website approved by the Croghan family. Please do not use content, images, or video from this site without permission. This is an effort to respect the family's privacy and ensure that all content is accurate and approved. Thank you for your cooperation.
A Note From Korrine (written after her 4th round of Chemo)...

Hello everyone! It's me, Korrine. I just wanted to take a
moment to thank each and every one of you for supporting me through emails,
visits, food, gifts, and most importantly, prayer. Without it, I probably
wouldn't have made it this far. Anyways, on a happier note, I am happy to
announce that I am feeling very good. This last round of chemo hit me pretty
hard, but I think that it is more exiting to end things with a big BANG! I will
try to start writing things for the blog now that my chemo therapy is over, but
until then, just know that I love every single one of you and I am always
thinking about my family, friends, and even the people who I've never met
before. Thanks for joining my battle and for making this experience "The
Experience of a Lifetime." LIVESTRONG! And stay positive.

Korrine Lannie Croghan

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

July 29th

This Thursday, July 31st at 12:30 Korrine will undergo a PET scan (Positron Emission Tomography) in combination with a CT scan to determine the effectiveness of her chemotherapy treatments. The PET scan is designed to show doctors a detailed view of her organ functions while the CT scan shows them such things as size and shape abnormalities. Korrine’s case has been complicated because her tumors no longer are emitting the hormones HCG and AFP. These hormones, which were elevated in December, are what tipped the doctors off in the first place. Now that these hormones no longer show up in her blood tests (which is a mystery), the doctors need to do scans to determine how the chemo has worked as well as liver biopsy’s and MRI’s.  Korrine will also have a hearing test as she has lost hearing after 8 rounds of cisplatin.

Thursday’s tests will be a big day in Korrine’s battle. The Doctors want to see that the cancer cells are dead in her liver and lungs and that healing is taking place. We need to pray and send positive thoughts to Korrine now and especially at 12:30 on Thursday. Specifically pray that God has killed the cancer in her liver and lungs and that it will be gone forever, that she continues to heal, gain strength and the nausea will disappear. Also pray that Korrine’s platelet and red blood counts rise and that she will no longer need transfusions of these products. 

We also need prayer for her doctors to continue to provide the best methods in Korrines course of treatment and healing.  Her doctors will discuss Korrine at Tumor Board along with the Bone Marrow/Stem Cell Transplant Team. Korrine's doctor, Dr. Bergstrom has also been in touch with Dr. Einhorn who headed the team that treated Lance Armstrong and is a specialist in Germ Cell Cancer and they have discussed Korrine’s case.  So as you can see, Korrine has the best team of doctors working together to provide the best care possible for Korrine and her unique case. We have seen Korrine improve each day that she has been home and that in itself is a miracle and a true answer to prayer.

We appreciate all that Team KC has done through messages and prayer.

God Bless You.

Matt and Dana

57 comments:

Lorri said...

Good morning Korrine! I'm just back from the cancer center myself and I'm remember very vividly all that the PET/CT scan involves. I will definately be praying for you on Thursday for all the requests you have here.

God is with you today. And I'm stopping in to say hello. You can pretend it's a real-life visit and that I brought you flowers and chocolates, because I would if I could! Love, Lorri

Anonymous said...

We are always, always praying...

Janet Hemmig said...

Thank you so much for the update. You all have been on my mind. We will pray for Korrine and her team of specialists. Janet, Kyle & Chad.

Anonymous said...

Oh korrine! I'm so happy for you! I hope all ur tests go well and I continue to pray for u!

Love, audrey

Anonymous said...

Oh korrine! I'm so happy for you! I hope all ur tests go well and I continue to pray for u!

Love, audrey

Mark, Cheryl, Connor, Preston Hasting said...

Hello-You are amazing Korrine! We think of you often. We are praying that all goes well on Thursday.
Cheryl and Connor

Sue said...

Hi Korrine!

You will be in my thoughts and prayers, especially on Thursday at 12:30. I continue to pray for complete healing as well as the rest of the prayer requests listed.

You are never alone. He is by your side, carrying you when you need it.

Love and prayers,
Sue

Rosalyn said...

Hi Korrine! IT's been great rejoicing that you're home. We continue to give thanks and praise for you and all God is doing. We will continue to pray and pray without ceasing.
Love the Esmeyer Family!

Anonymous said...

Thanks as always for your continual updates - we all appreciate them - Continued prayer for strength, healing and peace...another one of your fans!

Anonymous said...

Good luck on Thursday, Korrine! I am sending prayers your way and also to your doctors! I will pray that the cancer cells have been wiped clean, your platelet levels will rise, and that you can go home to be with your family.
Love, Mary Rosa

Anonymous said...

Hi Korrine,

We have never met but I heard about your story from a friend of mine. I check the website everyday to see how you are doing. Just know that I am praying for you. You are such a strong girl.

Anonymous said...

Hello Korrine,

I'm so happy to hear that you continue to get better each day you are at home. :) There truly is no better place to heal than by being surrounded with your family (which of course includes your furry friends!) and all things that are You!

I will continue to keep you in my daily prayers, and especially on Thursday, all my love and positive healing energy will be coming your way.

Take care and keep on doing what you do best: smiling, laughing, loving and LivingSTRONG!!!

Much Love and hugs to you and your whole family~
Cindy Brian

Anonymous said...

Dear Croghan Family,
Thank-you so much for the update.Thursday will be a good day for some positive results from the PET and CT scans!!! So thrilled to hear of daily improvement. The four of you are just amazing and this community is so blessed to call you ours! Know that we will all be praying for Korrine and her fabulous team of doctors.
julie gilmore

The Gilberts said...

Thank you for the update! We think and pray for Korrine every single day! We are so very thankful to know Korrine is home in the loving arms of her oh-so awesome family! You better believe we will be praying for precious Korrine on Thursday! Until then, may God bless, strengthen, heal and keep all of you so close to His heart!

We love you!

The Gilberts

Anonymous said...

Hi to all of you,
Ian and I were very happy to learn that you have the best of Doctors working with you and your team. Please know that our prayers continue . Thursday for sure we will send out the best that we can.
Love and prayers,
Ian and Debby

Anonymous said...

You are such a brave girl Korrine and I know that all of your cancer will disappear and you will live a normal life again. You
keep fighting and I will keep praying!

Unknown said...

We are always praying for you and your family! You never leave our thoughts and prayers!!!!

The Sommerhauser Family

Unknown said...

We are always praying for you and your family!! You are strong and will win this battle!! You never leave our thoughts and prayers!

The Sommerhauser Family

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the specific prayer requests. Please know that the Bauer family will be on our knees for you, your results, your doctors, complete healing and the peace that passes all understanding leading up to Thursday at 12:30.

Anonymous said...

Dear Croghan Family,
Of course you all will continue to be in our daily prayers. What great news to hear that Korrine is home again and feeling better! We will pray that this cancer is finally gone, and she is on the road to a complete recovery. Our God is a loving and faithful God...
Love and Big Hugs,
The McNairs

Anonymous said...

Hi Croghan family.I am so glad Corrine is at home.I will pray for positive test results.I had a neighbor come over tonight who told me she had a mastectomy last week.I am giving her your website info tomorrow because your entire family has become an inspiration to Cancer patients in Livermore and beyond.Live strong!

Anonymous said...

We will continue to pray for all that you ask and more! Rest and heal sweet girl!

Lorri said...

Hi Korrine...praying that today finds you feeling well and smiling. I'm also praying that God is at work rebuilding your liver and lungs into new health. Cancer - be gone! Life - come forth!

Love you and remembering you this morning...Lorri

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that you've got to spend this time at home with your family. We will be thinking about you on Thursday and EVERYDAY. You are the poster girl for LIVINGSTRONG!!
Love the Haskins Family

Anonymous said...

Good morning Korrine, Matt, Dana and Sean. I too am praying as requested. Praising God for blessings, pressed down and overflowing. Count on continual prayer on your behalf. You are loved!

Anonymous said...

Hi Korrine,

We will be with you in prayer and spirit tomorrow!

Love, The Nagy Family

Anonymous said...

You are always in our hearts and minds, and we will be with you in spirit for the testing on Thursday. Bless all of the Croghan family, you are very special to this community.

Anonymous said...

Thanking God RIGHT NOW for the postive report that He will provide tomorrow. Croghans, you are an amazing testimony of tenacity, faith, hope, courage and love. Thank you letting us share in all you have been through and is yet still to come as God reveals Himself even more each day.

Blessings & Hugs,

The Hoaglands

Anonymous said...

korrine,
stay positive and happy and you will get through this.i am sure of it!

Sue said...

Hi CutiePie!

Wanted to pop on by and say howdy!! Extra prayers for a good (and quick as possible) appointment on the way tomorrow at 12:30.
StaySTRONG!

Love and hugs,
Sue

Beckycain6 said...

HI Korrine,

You don't know me, but I have read your whole story. I think of you at times during the day...I live on the other side of the country from you (Richmond, Va). I am a bit older than you....and have 6 kids and a wonderful husband who loves the Lord. I wanted to tell you that I wish I could fly out there--it broke my heart to see that you are A- and were needing blood. I am A- too. I would give you anything I could. I can see the Lord just loves you so much, and even though we might be strangers, I love you too....sister in Christ.

I want you to know that I am praying for you, Korrine. I really am, and I hope with all my soul that the Lord's idea for you is to be completely healed. Just know that He is watching over you and loves you so.

And, I think you are beautiful...with hair or without! Be tough and live strong. Know that people all over the world are praying for you, tough little girl!

With total kindness,
Becky

Anonymous said...

hey korrine:)
this is korrina botelho. i know i havent talked to you in a while. but i have been reading your blog. you have been in my prayers everyday. sounds like there is a lot of prayers going your way and they seem like they are being answered. your an amazing young women and stay positive like you always do. i think about you all the time and i hope too see you soon. stay positive and keep smiling your beautiful smile.
love always
korrina botelho

Anonymous said...

Hi Korrine!
We are always happy to hear that you have made it home. Tonight and tomorrow we will be thinking and praying for you and your family.
We will pray that the cancer is gone forever.
Love from the Anhorn's

Anonymous said...

Hi Korrine,
I just wanted you to know that we met some people from Redding at the conference we were at this past weekend and now they and their church family are also praying for you :) You are covered in love and prayer from all over! I think you have more friends than you will ever be able to count! Kind of like the sand pebbles at the beach or the stars in the sky :) Isn't that a great picture of how much the Lord loves you! Sleep well tonight sweet one! You are always in our hearts and prayers
Much love,
Auntie Denise & Uncle Mark
Much love,
Auntie Denise & Uncle Mark

Anonymous said...

LiveSTRONG,
Continue to share so others can learn.

Anonymous said...

We are praying that the tests go well today and that the cancer is gone. We are praying for continued healing and blessings from God.

Anonymous said...

Hi Korrine and Family
God will do something amazing today.. I will pray for all the pray warriors for Team KC to be on their knees at 12:30 for your family and you. God wants His Glory to shine thru you just as it has been! Bless you today and know you will be covered in prayer
Sandi Kellman

Sue said...

Good Morning Korrine!

Hope your tests go quickly today and you are able to get back to whatever fun this summer day holds for you. I'll be thinking of you!

Love,
Sue

Anonymous said...

okay Croghan family,
We are all in positive prayer mode.
We pray that Korrine's body is healing and the results will show that. You are all on the minds of many hundreds of people. God answers prayer, this we know to be true!!!
We love you all so very much,
Uncle Bergie, Auntie Marcia,Shauna,Justin,Nikki,Jordan, Samantha, and Steven Avery
P.S.
Geeze this list of names keeps growing

Anonymous said...

We just wanted to wish you good luck today we are praying hard and often. You are always in our thoughts and we hope today brings wonderful news.
All of our love Stay Strong!
The Riddiough's

Lorri said...

I'll be praying this morning for your test and visit to the hospital. Let us know how it goes!

Loving you in prayer, Lorri

Anonymous said...

StayStrong today Croghi!
God Bless You.

Anonymous said...

Lot's of prayers and thoughts @ 12:30 for you!

Go team KC!!

Codel said...

Korrine and family,
Our prayers are with you and the doctors today. May they find only good news. So glad to hear you are home with each other.
Love,
Codel and Jan

Anonymous said...

Praying for you at this very moment as you are about to undergo these important tests that will give you good news and great hope!

debrabrumbaugh said...

Then Jesus answered and said to her, "O woman, great is your faith! Let it be to you as you desire." And her daughter was healed from that very hour. (Matthew 15:28) This verse seems to have been written with Dana in mind, no? :) We're praying extra hard today that all your tests come back with good news written all over them!
XOXOXOXOXO
Debra, Kyle and MacKenzie Brumbaugh

Anonymous said...

I have already left a comment to you korrine! But today is the day that you shine and show everyone how truly strong you may be! Even though you have nothing to prove (considering we all know how strong you already are) we continue to praise your inspirational, heroic strength that you show. i hope all of your tests go well! I will continue to pray forever more!

Love,
Audrey Walke

Anonymous said...

Dear Korrine and family,
Hoping all went well with testing today and that this evening you can all enjoy being home and together. I left you some sunflowers on your porch...they remind me of you.....strong and beautiful!!! and some basil just because it is delicious! Sending all my positive thoughts your way always. julie gilmore

Anonymous said...

I was just forwarded this specific prayer request so thank you for letting us know Korrine's prayer needs.
Our family will keep positive thoughts on this day for good news.
No matter what, the Lord is on this journey with your family.
Thanks for keeping us posted. Bless you.

Anonymous said...

Korrine-
We are praying for you. You rock! I am wearing my liveSTRONG bracelets on each arm! You're awesome!
LiveSTRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!God loves YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Keep Smiling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LiveSTRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Good day Korrine and family:
Still saying prayers for you each day. Hoping SO much (and of course praying too) that you got some uplifting news yesterday with all your tests. You are on our minds & in our prayers daily.Sue

Anonymous said...

Dear Korrine,
Just checking in to see how you're doing - I hope that all is well and that you're feeling better and better with each passing day. My prayers have been with you and you were in my thoughts all day yesterday as you were going through your scans, etc. My prayers have been that you were able to sail through the tests and scans and are now back home resting. My prayers are that the test results come back showing that all your hard work is paying off - the chemo has done/is doing it's job - your body is healing and that the cancer has realized that it can't beat you and has given up and left your body! You remain in my daily thoughts and prayers,
Hugs to all,
Glenda Thornton

Lorri said...

Hi Korrine...sorry I missed posting yesterday, my computer had a virus but now I'm back!

Here's a verse for today: The righteous will flourish like a palm tree, they will grow like a cedar of Lebanon; planted in the house of the Lord, they will florish in the courts of our God.

Psalm 92:12-13

You are like those trees - a hopefilled beacon whose roots spread out deep and wide in the soil of God's marvelous love. You florish.

Love, Lorri

Rosalyn said...

Hi Korrine,
It's a beautiful day today and I can't help but think of you. ALL WEEK I have been waking up in the middle of the night unable to sleep. God ALWAYS reminds me in those dark hours to pray for you. What a privilage. It looks like with all the prayer coverage you have you could very well be prayed for 24/7. How GOOD is our God? We love you and continue to be privilaged to believe, hope and love with you.
The Esmeyer Family

Anonymous said...

Dear Korrine and family,
You are in my prayers today and each day!!
So glad you can be home together.
I pray for God's total healing of your body.
Love,
Holly Owens

Anonymous said...

Korrine,

Just sending a quick hello and wishes for a beautiful summer day! I know you must be so happy to be home with your family and I hope you aren't feeling yucky.

My thoughts and prayers are with you always!

hugs and much love, kathy t.

Anonymous said...

Awake at 2am praying for your tests later today. Please know that you are thought of and prayed for at all hours of the day and night by so many people, so many you do not even know!

I also pray you all are sleeping soundly right now as the Lord has me awake on your behalf. Proud to stand in the gap for you!

God bless you!
Corey Bauer