"Let no one ever come to you without leaving better and happier. Be the living expression of God's kindness; kindness in your face, kindness in your eyes, kindness in your smile, kindness in your warm greeting."
Mother Teresa
Cancer stripped her of everything including her life but it could not steal away God's LOVE, PEACE and the JOY that radiated through her. Korrine never stopped SMILING!
Korrine Lannie Croghan
Korrine Croghan was a vivacious 14-year-old girl who lived all of her life in Livermore, CA. She had a love for animals, sports, and most of all, family. Korrine was a straight “A” student while attending Mendenhall Middle School and was working hard in her first trimester at Granada High. She was a great friend to many and was everything that a brother, mother and father could ask for in a daughter. Korrine was the type of girl who would greet you with a wide smile and look into your eyes and truly would want to know how you were doing
Korrine & Cancer
On December 20th, 2007, Korrine was diagnosed with Choriocarcinoma with a germ cell element. Choriocarcinoma is a very rare type of cancer in teenage girls and inflicts less than 200 nationwide each year. Although the cancer started in her left ovary, the cancer had spread to her right ovary, lungs and liver. After the removal of a cantaloupe sized tumor in her left ovary on December 21st of 2007, Korrine, endured 10 months of intense chemotherapy designed for adult men.
During the course of her treatment, Korrine suffered many complications. In early April of 2007, her liver began to bleed. After staying at Kaiser Oakland for almost two weeks, Korrine was transfered to UCSF and spent a month in the intensive care unit. The doctors at UCSF Medical Center were finally able to stop her bleeding liver, but, not before it filled her abdomen with 5 liters of blood that had to be drained via a tube inserted into her stomach. On top of that, both of Korrines’ lungs collapsed while undergoing a CT scan that almost took her life. Because of that, 2 liters of fluid needed to be drained off of her lungs with the use of another drainage tube. Throughout her treatment Korrine needed numerous blood and platelet transfusions. She had nosebleeds that lasted an hour on several occasions. At one point, she had 18 intravenous tubes running through her body filled with anti-bacterials, anti-fungals, nutrition, painkillers and chemotherapy. Korrine miraculously made it through those tough days at UCSF and returned to Kaiser Hospital in Oakland. She was finally stable and was released to go home in late June. Just as things were starting to look up for her, she suffered septic shock in July that forced her to go back into intensive care at Kaiser in Santa Clara for 2 weeks.
Korrine returned home in late July and went through imaging scans to see if the cancer had disappeared. The scans always came back good, but not great. In an effort to kill and stop the remaining cancer cells, she underwent an emergency round of chemotherapy in early September. Unfortunately, it did kill the remaining cancer and her doctors had run out of options.
Korrine spent her last days at home with her family reading books and loving on her cats and dog. She passed away quietly, at home, on October 27th, 2008. Through it all, Korrine had a positive attitude and never gave up or complained. Many consider Korrine a hero.
Team KC
The Team KC website was originally started as a way to encourage, educate, raise awareness, and keep friends and family informed with accurate information on Korrine's treatment and progress. Family, classmates, friends, community members, and complete strangers rallied to support Korrine and her family through her fight against Choriocarcinoma. We were amazed by the amount of support we received, and it is now our desire to give back. In March, 2009, Team KC became an official nonprofit by joining forces with Kaiser Foundation Hospital. All monies raised by Team KC will directly benefit pediatric cancer patients and their families. All monetary contributions are tax deductible.
Our Mission: To help improve the quality of life of pediatric cancer patients and their families. We wish to supply children with fun activities, toys and anything else that will brighten and better their lives. Monies will also be used to help parents pay for bills and defray the costs of gas, food and lodging that go along with caring for a child with cancer.
Stay Positive, LIVESTRONG & Welcome to Team KC!
*This is the official Team KC website and the only website approved by the Croghan family. Please do not use content, images, or video from this site without permission. This is an effort to respect the family's privacy and ensure that all content is accurate and approved. Thank you for your cooperation.
A Note From Korrine (written after her 4th round of Chemo)...
Hello everyone! It's me, Korrine. I just wanted to take a
moment to thank each and every one of you for supporting me through emails,
visits, food, gifts, and most importantly, prayer. Without it, I probably
wouldn't have made it this far. Anyways, on a happier note, I am happy to
announce that I am feeling very good. This last round of chemo hit me pretty
hard, but I think that it is more exiting to end things with a big BANG! I will
try to start writing things for the blog now that my chemo therapy is over, but
until then, just know that I love every single one of you and I am always
thinking about my family, friends, and even the people who I've never met
before. Thanks for joining my battle and for making this experience "The
Experience of a Lifetime." LIVESTRONG! And stay positive.
Korrine Lannie Croghan
Thank you so much for everything even the smallest, sweetest little things such as a zip lock baggy filled with fresh Basil on our porch and for sunflowers. Thank you for every fundraiser and for helping us financially with unexpected cash donations, gas money/cards, food and gifts for Korrine. I don't know how we would have made it these past seven months without you. What can we do for you? How can we pray for you? How can we ever re-pay you for every random act of kindness? What we would like to do is host a gathering for all of Team K.C. in honor of you for all your prayers, support all your sweet messages and love for Korrine. We will celebrate together when she is well. Korrine is going to have an MRI of her liver done this coming Thursday. Once the Doctors have all the test results they will meet with Matt and I to discuss the results. We have the best team of Doctors working on Korrine's case as it is rare. As soon as we know the facts we will share what we learn with all of you. In the meantime let's keep praying for Korrine as her spirits are low. She told me today that she was tired of the pain and suffering. (it has been over 7 months now) Not a day goes by that she doesn't feel sick to her stomach or hurt in some way. The waiting for test results is hard. The good news is that her platelets have been stable she has used up all her donated platelets which saved her life. Thank you so much for helping our little girl when she needed your blood in order to survive. As for now we don't need platelets, it looks like her body is not eating the platelets up like before. This is wonderful! Please know that we pray for all of you. My prayer for you is that God will bless you ten fold for all you have done for us. We love and appreciate all of you so much. Korrine's illness has brought friends, family and a community together for good. What a beautiful thing to see what one little girl can do. I believe she is home because you have not given up and we continue to pray believing that she will overcome this cancer. Her being home is a miracle. I believe Korrine will have a powerful testimony and will do amazing things for others someday because she has survived this terrible disease.
Stay Positive and LiveSTRONG,
Never Give Up Faith and Hope!
Dana and Matt Croghan
49 comments:
Dana, Matt, Korrine, and Sean,
You have refreshed my faith so much by witnessing your unwavering faith in this challenging time. Thank you and God Bless the four of you. We pray constantly for Korrine to be free of this and back home and in the pool where she belongs. Thank you again. You are an inspiration.
Patty Rosa
Dear Croghans,
Ditto what Patty Rosa wrote.
In the midst of all that you are going through you are always thinking of others and wondering what you can do for Team K.C.
What you have done for me is provided me an opportunity for a much deeper, closer relationship with God and for that I am thankful to you!
As always, my prayers are with you daily as I await the next test results.
Praying for healing with all my heart,
Victoria
We continue to LiveStrong. Our prayers will continue to heal Korrine and keep her family strong. You are an amazing family and Korrine is in our thoughts and prayers daily.. It's working...We all stand right next to you in your fight. God Bless
Great news! And I see what kind of fun surprise I can find to send your way! Love, Lorri
Matt, Dana, Korrine, and Sean,
You have already done so much for us that no "thank you's" are required. We all just want Korrine to be well! You spoke about the community coming together to help Korrine, but your family has paid us back by bringing us together.
Your daughter's fight and faith have taught us that all is possible through prayer and God.
I just hope you realize everything that you have done for us already, by sharing your story and allowing us to help your family in anyway that we can. There are really great people in Livermore (and elsewhere) and we all want to help, so that you can concentrate on Korrine. Thank you so much for letting us and please just keep spending time with and loving your kids.
Love Always and LiveSTRONG,
The Campbell Family
Dear Croghans,
Sending good healing thoughts your way! Praying that things continue to look positive. We will be out of town for a few weeks, but know that you hold an important place in our hearts and minds every single day. We will pray for extraordinary results on Thursday's MRI. Continue with your faith and love.
Love, Codel and Jan
Korrine~ as i have said before i am anxious to see how your tests have gone. i want you to know that you should never give up! you are an inspiration to not only me but everyone who knows your story! you are such a strong person. I continue to pray.
love,
Audrey Walke
"He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like an eagle; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not faint." -- Isaiah 40:28-31
As others have said, it's US that should be thanking you! You've brought so many of us out of our day-to-day issues, which seemed SO huge at one time, and now are nothing compared to Korrine's fight. To take our energy that was being used on what now seem insignificant tasks, and use that energy to help heal Korrine is a true blessing. THANK YOU!!
XOXOXOXOX
Peace,
Debra, Kyle & MacKenzie Brumbaugh
Hi Croghans!
I don't know what I can say that others haven't already said so beautifully. Thank you for letting us love you and for sharing your fight with us, and allowing us to help however we can. Thank you for bringing the community together and for renewing our faith. All four of you are a source of constant amazement.
Continued prayers for great test results and complete healing... mind and body. I wish you all peace and love, today and always.
Love you,
Sue
I have follewed Korrine's story from before Relay, as I heard her story from the committee. I am so in awe of your strength and perseverance.
God has great things for you and your family.
Praying always,
Aimee
Sweet Croghan family,
Thank-you is my feeling to YOU ...YOU have restored my faith in human beings;that we are inherently good at heart.YOU have bared your lives in the most personal of ways and allowed us to share in the beauty of Korrine. You make me smile and cry all at the same time. I really just want to give each of the four of you the biggest hug and tell you that everything will be okay.I just have to look at Korrine's sweet smile and I truly believe everything will be okay because the world has so much left to learn from Korrine. You have done an amazing job as parents and continue to do so every minute of every day. You are a shining example of how to get it right.Thank-you for allowing us to share in this fight of a lifetime.
julie gilmore
It's so hard to understand why such a precious little girl has to endure so MUCH... Korrine you have the world behind you.. Your going to beat this..Keep smiling
Thanks to you Matt and Dana for sharing your family with us.
You are a powerful family, and just know there is not a day that passes that we all our pulling to win this battle along with you.
Our blessings,
Lori and Bob Rauscher
Ditto what everyone else has said. I have known Matt & Dana for a long time. That sweet, loving, giving, serving spirit is just who Dana is. It is a precious thing. God made her and Matt to think of others at all times. But, my dears, we do all owe you so much for your self-less sharing every arduous step of this journey. When the time is right we will all DELIGHT in being together to celebrate the VICTORY ahead! What a day of Celebration we will all have!
Korrine, I wish I could trade places with you just for one day! (but my much younger body so you wouldn't have to feel my achy hips!) Tee hee hee! I know it must be exhausting. And it is okay to say you are tired. Rest in our love and God's strength little one. We are praying hard for you. "Where there are two or more gathered together....." well, sweet love, there are thousands upon thousands gathered together in the name of Jesus to lift you up. We are believing for your body to be whole and well very soon.
Sean, you must be tired too, little bro. Know that you are in our prayers too.
Matt and Dana, I don't even try to imagine any more how exhausted you become or the emotions you go through momemnt by moment. I hope you feel the hugs I see us giving you when I close my eyes and lift you up to our Lord. Wrap you arms around each other, squeeze and hold. Close your eyes and see Jack, Arla, & Mary with all of you in a group hug.
Soon... all of Team KC in one huge in person group hug... can you just imagine it????? What a sight that will be!
We are all praying for FULL restoration of all that needs restored.
We love you!
Dear Korrine,
We can't even begin to imagine how hard this is for you and your family, but PLEASE don't lose faith! God has a plan in the midst of all of this pain and suffering. Keep smiling and helping others know how good our God is-His light shines brightly through the Croghans!
We love you,
The McNairs
Korrine, Sean, Dana and Matt,
I've been thinking about you all everyday that we were gone on vacation... to Southern California. I hated not having a computer to check on you all!
I would call my daughter in the evening and have her check for any new updates... so even though I wasn't able to send messages, my prayers and thoughts were with you throughout the week, especially Thursday during the tests.
Cassie and I were swimming in the hotel pool (on Saturday, July 26th) and I was thinking of Korrine and how much she loves the water! (Unfortunately the next hotel didn't have a pool...)
My prayers and positive thoughts will continue for healing, strength, comfort and peace for all of you! I'll be thinking of you Korrine, on Thursday for the next MRI...
Take care! LIVESTRONG! Go TEAM KC!!!
hugs and love, kathy t.
Oh Korrine! I can understand that you are tired of the pain and suffering. You have gone through so much in these past 7 months. It must be so overwhelming! Please know that you are loved and so many people are praying for you to get well. You have touched so many lives and have helped many of us grow in our relationship with God and each other. None of us can understand why you are going through this, but I pray everyday that God heals you.
Stay strong Korrine and gain strength and patience from your wonderful family and friends.
Dana and Matt,
I can't wait to see you all and give Korrine a huge hug! It will be a wonderful celebration of Team KC when Korrine is healed!
Love,
Cindy Vance and family
Precious Korrine! Please know that even in any moment of discouragement or fatigue you may feel, you're still one of the most courageous and character-filled people I've ever known in my life! Satan would love to dim your light because who you are shines so brightly! You are in the hearts of hundreds of people who love you, speak of you with love everyday, and wish so desperately to help share the load you carry in some small way.
Please know lots of hugs, love and prayers are going out to you, Korrine, praying for encouragement, strength and loving comfort.
You are a precious family that is dearly loved.
Love and prayers,
The Gilberts
Hi Korrine,
Just stopping by to wish you a happy day and let you know that I'm thinking of you. I'm headed out of town for the week, but will be praying for you, especially on Thursday!
Hang in there, CutiePie and stay STRONG. You are the most amazing young woman I have had the pleasure of knowing. You have every right to be tired of feeling sick. I wish there was something I could do to take that away. I'll send you every good vibe I have while I'm at the beach this week. I know it's not much, but it's all I've got.
Please hug each other for me!
Love,
Sue
Hey sweet thing! It's so good to hear how you are doing. I was wondering if you ever check out Godtube and some of the inspirational stuff they have.
I'll enclose a couple of my FAVORITE clips. You've probably seen them all already, cardboard testimonies, everything, Nick's testimoney (AMAZING!)just have fun poking around. If they don't come up let me know and I'll forward the links via email. We are praying and absolutely BELEIVING with you and when you are too tired to believe any more, we are BELEIVING FOR YOU! We love you Korrine. The Esmeyer Family
Nick's Testimony http://www.wretch.cc/video/ritahsia&func=single&vid=2282608&o=time&p=0
Everything Drama
http://www.godtube.com/view_video.php?viewkey=ee73e63418003b47d7d5
Cardboard Testimony
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvDDc5RB6FQ
If you love those, I'll send you a couple more. Loves and blessings K.C.
ps-my email incase you need the links rosalynesmeyer@yahoo.com
The Croghan family has truly shown how to liveSTRONG! May the road ahead be nothing but positive and continuous healing. You remind us not to take things for granted and enjoy friends and family.
You are strong in keeping the community up to date and we SO appreciate the communication. It is YOU we need to THANK!
Continued prayers and virtual hugs,
The Heinz Family
"I believe Korrine will have a powerful testimony and will do amazing things for others someday because she has survived this terrible disease." -Dana and Matt
Korrine, I realized something this morning. Your "someday" is today! Your quiet confidence in suffering has done so much for so many people already. It's taken you 7 months to taste the weariness of your suffering. Most people would have been tired of the pain in 7 days!
I wish we could take your pain away and restore your body to health right this minute. I know we can't, but I am also sure that you are being restored and built back up bit by bit and that your health will return.
When the pain wears you down, know that a deep, useful cavern is being carved in your soul, and I agree with your parents that when these days of suffering are behind you, you will be left with an incredible, life-giving ministry to others who hurt.
In the meantime, even today, you are impacting the lives of hundreds of people in your community and those of us beyond on the blog just by being you,and just by being God's.
"I have raised you up for this very purpose, that I might show you my power and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth." - Ex 9:16
Holding you up in prayer...Press on dear girl! Love, Lorri
Sometimes it seems God gives the most giving people the most difficult things to endure. It seems so with you Korrine, and your family. You all long to give so much, when you are going through the most difficult of trials. It reminds me of the phone call I made to my cousin just the other day. He is fighting the cancer battle also. He started to apologize for not calling me with an update. I told him it was not his responsibility to call me, but my responsibility to call him and to pray for him. What he was to do was to take care of himself right now.
Korrine, I know you are receiving the best of care from not only your doctors, but from your loving parents and your brother also.
And our prayers are that you will all be able to rest peacefully in the loving care of our Father during this time, as we continue to pray for you each day.
May God's peace and healing blessings be with you,
Diane Shore
Hey Korrine & Family,
LIVESTRONG and stay positive!!! Our thoughts and prayers are with you day and night!!!
Love,
Taylor,Savannah,Aj, & Wendy Vasquez
Dana, Matt, Korrine and Sean,
Thank for taking the time to update all of us. As I have said many times before, though we have never met, you are never far from my families thoughts and prayers.
You are truly an inspiration and loved by so many people.
God Bless you all,
The Nagy Family
Korrine-
Don't give up! You are here for a reason, and you are a fighter. You have given hope to so many people, just by sharing your story. You are a wonderful person. You are SO strong, and you are the kind of person who does not give up. That is an awesome quality. We are praying for you. You will get through this. God loves you. He chose you for this battle because he believes in you. LIVESTRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dear Korrine,
You must feel so tired and warn out. We thank you so much for sharing your battle on this blogsite.
Just want you to know that because of you, there are families such as ours who feel we know you (we have never met you but hope to someday)and we actually check with eachother to see if your blogsite is updated. We are genuinely concerned and we pray for your healing and wellness and we have ultimate faith in that the Lord is watching over you.
I hope, even if in some tiny way, you know how much your strength, perseverance and your faith mean to all of us. You are a true inspiration.
My daughter has LIVESTRONG bracelets on everyday with you in mind.
You can do this. You can fight this disease.
Matt,Dana&Sean: You are an awesome family, that's all I can say. You have all been through so much. We pray the four of you will live brighter days in the not so distant future!
GOD BLESS YOUR FAMILY.
We're sending even more love, support, and prayers your way! Even though our families do not know each other personally, I am sure that if we were walking in your shoes, you would do the same for us. Take care~La Familia Cortez
Korrine-
First of all, I can not even imagine what kind of pain you are going through. It must be very difficult to live each day not feeling very well. I would like you to know that the first time I saw your blog, I was like, wow, this girl has strength. I still think that, and I check your site every day. Your smiles in the pictures brighten up my days because I may be feeling down or beat or something, but then I see your pictures, and I think to myself, I need to be grateful for each day that I am given. I know that you are, even when you are hooked up to cheemo, or battling pain. You still fit in that smile, and you still have hope. You are an amazing person, and you aren't even an adult yet. You are going to accomplish wonderful things in life.
All of your "fans" are praying for you. You have brought so many people together, and you have shared your story to so many people who needed to hear about it. You are so awesome. Don't give up. You will CONQUER this battle. God loves you.
LIVESTRONG!
Korrine-
First of all, I can not even imagine what kind of pain you are going through. It must be very difficult to live each day not feeling very well. I would like you to know that the first time I saw your blog, I was like, wow, this girl has strength. I still think that, and I check your site every day. Your smiles in the pictures brighten up my days because I may be feeling down or beat or something, but then I see your pictures, and I think to myself, I need to be grateful for each day that I am given. I know that you are, even when you are hooked up to cheemo, or battling pain. You still fit in that smile, and you still have hope. You are an amazing person, and you aren't even an adult yet. You are going to accomplish wonderful things in life.
All of your "fans" are praying for you. You have brought so many people together, and you have shared your story to so many people who needed to hear about it. You are so awesome. Don't give up. You will CONQUER this battle. God loves you.
LIVESTRONG!
Good Morning Croghan Girls! :)
Today's verse is "Perfect Love casts out fear." Your friend, Lorri
Good morning Korrine. Praying that today is a terrific one for you.
Hugs,
Arla
Dana,
How beautifully written was this past blog. You have been blessed with a gift of writing. Thank you for taking the time to keep all of us posted. You can know for sure that all of our prayers will continue.
Love from,
Ian and Debby
Hi Croghans,
I was reading the blogs today and the scriptures shared by many. I realize the one I have on my travel calendar says, "Mercy, Peace, and Love be yours in abundance". Jude 1:2
How beautiful are the words from the greatest book. How beautiful you all are to all of us.
Love, Stephen and Rebecca
We continue to pray and as others have said the thanks is to you-I too have strengthened my relationship with God through this journey with your mighty family.
Thank you from the bottom of our hearts for sharing your amazing daughter with all of us.
Love Maxine Hammons & Family
Go Team KC
Live Strong
Stay Positive
Happy Tuesday! You know, as a post script to my last comment, I meant to encourage you with something. Did you know you and your blog are passed around as encouragement in the same way those cool videos are? I couldn't script anything so real and so living as your testimoney if I had all the resources in the world. Press on sweet girl. We believe with you and FOR you. Rest. We'll do the praying. Just sleep, eat and get better.
Dear Croghans,
Just thinking about you and wishing you a great day!!
julie gilmore
Matt, Dana, Korrine and Sean: We want to let you know that we're still here with you praying for the Lord to lighten your load. Our spirits our with you! Love, the CV Hassetts
Hi Croghan Girls! :) Today, I'm praying that God is your Comforter and that His Holy Spirit is wrapped around you, softer than the most velvetly baby blanket.
Love you, Lorri
Dear Dearest Family,
Thank you for showing the rest of the world how to really live through incredibly tough times.
We pray for your family always...
Liz Ben Pam and James
Hi there,
Just checking in to see how you're doing... Korrine, I know that you're tired of dealing with all that goes with the cancer, but hang in there - you will soon be rid of this and all will be back to normal. You are in our daily prayers and those prayers are nothing short of complete healing. What can we do to help lift your spirits? Just leave us a note on the blog and we'll do whatever it takes! Hang in there cutie - you're doin' great!
Hugs, sunshine, and a prayer for a pain free day are being sent your way -
The Thornton's
Hi Croghans!
Found a computer here in Newport Beach and wanted to check in and say hi. Hope today is a great day for you and we'll be thinking of you tomorrow.
Love you!
Sue, Dani and Allie Bakalar
Hi Korrine. Just thinking about you and today thinking about your brother. I'll bet he's been so glad you are home. The sky is blue today and the sun is shining. I hope you can see it from wherever you are. Maybe you can even sit and let the sun shine on your pretty face.
We are loving you, praying and BELIEVING with you and for you-
The Esmeyer Family
Korrine-
Just wanted to say a huge THANK YOU to you. You have shown me how to really live, and how to focus on the good things, and not the bad, and to take the bad things, and make them seem better, or at least look on the brighter side of things. You are an amazing person. You are also amazingly strong!!
"Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars."
Don't give up, Korrine. You will beat, zap, sizzle, and fry this disease. Like you said in a previous blog, if Lance got back on the bike, and Bethany got back on the surfboard, Korrine is going to get back in HER pool, playing HER game of water polo. And no person nor disease will stop her.
Korrine, you have been given the gifts of life, strength, courage, and love/faith. You will go far with these tools. You have already started using them, and you have helped so many people!
LIVESTRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hey Korrine! Praying that tomorrow will bring good report. We are thinking of you tonight and lifting you up to our Lord for the doctors to be amazed. Hang in there little one.
blessings & hugs,
Jack, Arla & Mary
Dear Croghan's,
Though I'm back at work and can't check the blog during the day... my thoughts (and prayers) are with you constantly. It just drives me nuts to have to wait until I get home to check it.
I know the MRI is scheduled for Thursday... and I'm hoping this test will give the medical team the info they need to keep Korrine on the road to healing... without having so many tests!
hugs and much love, kathy t.
Hi Korrine and Dana! Today's verse is: I walk by faith, not by sight.
Thinking of you and remembering you and always keeping you near to my heart in prayer.
Love, Lorri
Croghans - Praying for you today as Korrine has her MRI ....
Good Morning Korrine,
We are with you today both in love and spirit.
Keeping the Faith,
The Shulls
Dear Korrine,
We are praying for great MRI results, no more nausea, no more pain, renewed strength and a beautiful new beginning for you!!!
julie gilmore
Post a Comment