"Let no one ever come to you without leaving better and happier. Be the living expression of God's kindness; kindness in your face, kindness in your eyes, kindness in your smile, kindness in your warm greeting."
Mother Teresa

Smile

Cancer stripped her of everything including her life but it could not steal away God's LOVE, PEACE and the JOY that radiated through her. Korrine never stopped SMILING!
Korrine Lannie Croghan

Korrine Croghan was a vivacious 14-year-old girl who lived all of her life in Livermore, CA. She had a love for animals, sports, and most of all, family. Korrine was a straight “A” student while attending Mendenhall Middle School and was working hard in her first trimester at Granada High. She was a great friend to many and was everything that a brother, mother and father could ask for in a daughter. Korrine was the type of girl who would greet you with a wide smile and look into your eyes and truly would want to know how you were doing

Korrine & Cancer

On December 20th, 2007, Korrine was diagnosed with Choriocarcinoma with a germ cell element. Choriocarcinoma is a very rare type of cancer in teenage girls and inflicts less than 200 nationwide each year. Although the cancer started in her left ovary, the cancer had spread to her right ovary, lungs and liver. After the removal of a cantaloupe sized tumor in her left ovary on December 21st of 2007, Korrine, endured 10 months of intense chemotherapy designed for adult men.

During the course of her treatment, Korrine suffered many complications. In early April of 2007, her liver began to bleed. After staying at Kaiser Oakland for almost two weeks, Korrine was transfered to UCSF and spent a month in the intensive care unit. The doctors at UCSF Medical Center were finally able to stop her bleeding liver, but, not before it filled her abdomen with 5 liters of blood that had to be drained via a tube inserted into her stomach. On top of that, both of Korrines’ lungs collapsed while undergoing a CT scan that almost took her life. Because of that, 2 liters of fluid needed to be drained off of her lungs with the use of another drainage tube. Throughout her treatment Korrine needed numerous blood and platelet transfusions. She had nosebleeds that lasted an hour on several occasions. At one point, she had 18 intravenous tubes running through her body filled with anti-bacterials, anti-fungals, nutrition, painkillers and chemotherapy. Korrine miraculously made it through those tough days at UCSF and returned to Kaiser Hospital in Oakland. She was finally stable and was released to go home in late June. Just as things were starting to look up for her, she suffered septic shock in July that forced her to go back into intensive care at Kaiser in Santa Clara for 2 weeks.

Korrine returned home in late July and went through imaging scans to see if the cancer had disappeared. The scans always came back good, but not great. In an effort to kill and stop the remaining cancer cells, she underwent an emergency round of chemotherapy in early September. Unfortunately, it did kill the remaining cancer and her doctors had run out of options.

Korrine spent her last days at home with her family reading books and loving on her cats and dog. She passed away quietly, at home, on October 27th, 2008. Through it all, Korrine had a positive attitude and never gave up or complained. Many consider Korrine a hero.

Team KC

The Team KC website was originally started as a way to encourage, educate, raise awareness, and keep friends and family informed with accurate information on Korrine's treatment and progress. Family, classmates, friends, community members, and complete strangers rallied to support Korrine and her family through her fight against Choriocarcinoma. We were amazed by the amount of support we received, and it is now our desire to give back. In March, 2009, Team KC became an official nonprofit by joining forces with Kaiser Foundation Hospital. All monies raised by Team KC will directly benefit pediatric cancer patients and their families. All monetary contributions are tax deductible.

Our Mission: To help improve the quality of life of pediatric cancer patients and their families. We wish to supply children with fun activities, toys and anything else that will brighten and better their lives. Monies will also be used to help parents pay for bills and defray the costs of gas, food and lodging that go along with caring for a child with cancer.

Stay Positive, LIVESTRONG & Welcome to Team KC!

*This is the official Team KC website and the only website approved by the Croghan family. Please do not use content, images, or video from this site without permission. This is an effort to respect the family's privacy and ensure that all content is accurate and approved. Thank you for your cooperation.
A Note From Korrine (written after her 4th round of Chemo)...

Hello everyone! It's me, Korrine. I just wanted to take a
moment to thank each and every one of you for supporting me through emails,
visits, food, gifts, and most importantly, prayer. Without it, I probably
wouldn't have made it this far. Anyways, on a happier note, I am happy to
announce that I am feeling very good. This last round of chemo hit me pretty
hard, but I think that it is more exiting to end things with a big BANG! I will
try to start writing things for the blog now that my chemo therapy is over, but
until then, just know that I love every single one of you and I am always
thinking about my family, friends, and even the people who I've never met
before. Thanks for joining my battle and for making this experience "The
Experience of a Lifetime." LIVESTRONG! And stay positive.

Korrine Lannie Croghan

Thursday, July 24, 2008

TEAM K.C. YOUR PRAYERS ARE BEING ANSWERED

Dearest Team K.C. How do we ever thank you? Our prayers are being answered. Korrine came home last night. Tears fill my eyes when I write these words. It has been such a roller coaster ride. One of the most amazing things is that her blood pressure and heart rate have been normal for almost a week now. Praise God! Her blood pressure has been so high that she was taking Lisinopril and Atenolol for high blood pressure. She is no longer needing to take these medications. She also came home needing to take less medication than when she went into the hospital. This is wonderful. Let's continue to pray she regains her strength and that she would not have to be hospitilized any more and that the cancer would be completely gone forever. Once again she has amazed everyone. More tests in a couple weeks. Let's be comitted to praying that the cancer is gone forever and in it's place a healthy 14 year old girl.

We Love You,
Stay Positive and LiveSTRONG and never give up Faith and Hope,
Dana and Matt Croghan

63 comments:

Sue said...

Welcome Home Korrine!

It is such wonderful news to hear that you are back where you should be, and that your body is healing. I continue to pray for complete healing, and thank Him for walking with you in your fight, and carrying you when you needed it.
Have a beautiful day and know that you are in my thoughts and I am smiling for you.

You, CutiePie, are a miracle!

Love to the Croghan family,
Sue

Anonymous said...

Morning by morning, new mercies I see. Thank you, Lord.

Love Stephen and Rebecca

Anonymous said...

YEAH!!! Korrine is HOME! Thank you so much for the update!

Korrine and family, we will continue to pray that your heart rate and blood pressure remain within normal ranges, and that you continue to need less and less medication - our prayers will not stop until you are free of this cancer. We will also pray that all your upcoming tests go smoothly and without incident. We are praying that all the test results come back showing that the cancer has realized that IT CAN'T BEAT YOU and it's given up and gone away!
Enjoy being at home - rest, heal, enjoy!
Love, hugs, and prayers your way -
The Thornton's

Lorri said...

WONDERFUL in every sense of the word! Praising God and smiling, Lorri

Anonymous said...

That is awesome!! What a story she will have to tell when she is cured of this cancer, and what an inspiration she is to us now!! Keep going Korrine!!

Anonymous said...

Matt and Dana,
Today is our Mary's birthday and what better gift to give her than the news that Korrine is home and getting well.
I was so happy to read your words. Our prayers are there with all of you.
We love you..
Ian and Debby

Anonymous said...

That is such wonderful news!!! You continually amaze me!

Denise K. said...

So happy to hear your awesome news Croghan Family!!! Praise the Lord that Korrine is home!!! Yes, we will keep praying for continued health and healing!!! Sending lots of love your way today! Ü

Anonymous said...

This is such good news! God is watching over you with eveyone else in Livermore praying for you!
Love,
Ana

Anonymous said...

What a great way to start my morning. I am so happy to hear this wonderful news. It brings tears to my eyes as well. I hope that she can continue to be at home and soon be back to her normal self again. will continue our prayers for complete healing!. Put on that amazing smiling face of yours Korrine.
Enjoy your time together at home and all of you gets some much needed rest.
All of our love
The Riddiough Family

Anonymous said...

Korrine & Family,
There's no place like HOME!!! So glad to hear you are with your family at home!!! We are sending good thoughts around the corner and down your street! We hope you get to eat all your favorites today!!! We hope you get lots of rest and regain your strength. Take Good Care!
XO
Taylor,Savannah,Aj, & Wendy Vasquez

Anonymous said...

WLCOME HOME!!!
You andf your family are always in our prayers. Emily has been gone this past month working at a camp in Oregon and asking over 2,000 teenagers to pray for you. Nothing like asking your peers for prayer and strength.
We love you,
The Shulls

Janet Hemmig said...

What wonderful news! So happy to hear that Korrine is home. We will continue to pray for her complete healing. Love, Kyle, janet & Chad

Anonymous said...

AWESOME..TOTALLY AWESOME!

You go girl! God Bless you and the family; the roller coaster will be docking soon! I pray everyday I exercise and I exercise everyday, so YOU keep ME motivated as well. Thanks! I won't stop praying, and I know the team won't either. Its a time to celebrate everything about life now. Relax and enjoy home, Korinne, AND,
Happy Anniv Dana and Matt!

Anonymous said...

May God be given all the glory for all He has done. Thank you, Lord, for hearing and answering our prayers. We believe you, Lord, that You WILL heal this sweet girl.
Korrine, so happy that you get to be home to heal & grow stronger and be around all that you love so much! You are such an inspiration & trooper!

Thank you, Jesus, for watching over her!

Anonymous said...

What wonderful news! I continue to pray that Korrine is healed. She is such an inspiration to all of us.

Anonymous said...

Hi,

We are thinking of you and praying, praying, praying. You are such a strong family and you are always in our hearts. May God bless you with a restful, peaceful day and many tomorrows.

Love, The Nagy Family

Anonymous said...

Wonderful news! I'm so happy to know that Korrine is resting and healing at home. We are praying for complete healing every day. Bless you all, Candy, Mark, Sam and Molly Johnson

Anonymous said...

Dear Korrine,
Welcome home and Enjoy!!!
julie gilmore

Anonymous said...

Good Morning Korrine :)

Our God is a awesome God and you Korrine are a awesome young women! We are so happy that you are home! Rest and enjoy the peace and comfort of your home and being with your mom, dad & sean! I know that Major and the kitty's are happy to see you too :) This is the day that the Lord has made. Let us rejoice and be glad in it! We love you!

Hugs to all of you!
Uncle Mark & Auntie Denise

Anonymous said...

Welcome Home !!! Indeed the best news. We all continue to pray for continued good news and healing. Keep fighting Korrine, you are doing an amazing job. You don't know me, but I think of you all the time and am thrilled by the news today. Big hugs to the Croghan family. As everyone states, you're an incredible family. Keep the faith and Livestrong.

Anonymous said...

Thank you once again Heavenly Father. A miracle before our very own eyes. You continue to inspire me Korrine. You and your family are amazing!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Yay Korrine!
Your mom's message made me so happy! I'm so glad you are at home with your family, which is what you deserve! As always, keep up the fight; you have been amazing and so strong! Welcome home and stay strong!
Love and prayers,
Mary Rosa

Anonymous said...

Amidst all the struggles, our LORD is sovereign and hears our prayers. Thank you for sharing this wonderful news and bringing joy to my heart. We thank you for the privilege to pray with you. Our lives are forever changed by your amazing family.

God bless and we'll keep the prayers coming.
Love,
The Laytons

Anonymous said...

Praising God! For Korrine. For Sean. For Matt & Dana - what an anniversary this is! Thank you God for all you have done!

The Gilberts said...

Woohoo! We are thanking the Lord for answering our prayers!!! Korrine, get some rest and a lot of good food and know so many people love you, are inspired by you, and cannot wait to see your beautiful face soon!

We love you guys so much!

Big hugs!

The Gilberts =D

Anonymous said...

Welcom Home!!

You and your family are in our daily prayers. Rest lots and grow stronger! Our God and all his angels are watching over you! We will continue to pray for your complete healing and for no more hospital stays. Thank you Matt and Dana for the updates! Stay Strong!
Kaitlin Maberry-Hall and my family

Anonymous said...

Dear Croghan Family,

This was the post I've been waiting, praying and hoping for... I'm so glad to read that Korrine is back home.

Our prayers will of course continue and include the wishes that Korrine stays home, only having to stop by and visit the hospital for labs and tests needed to see how GREAT and HEALTHY she is.

Take care of all of YOU!!
hugs and love, kathy t.

Anonymous said...

Korrine, it is so great to know you are home again! God bless you! We are so happy for you! Thank you Jesus! The Miller's. Sonora

Anonymous said...

Im really happy you're feeling better Korrine! My friends and I have been sending links of your page to everyone and people all over the place are praying for you right now!

Anonymous said...

What wonderful news! God is so good. Thank you for always keeping us updated. It is such a blessing to be able to see God at work and encourage us that our prayers are being heard and handled by the Master!

Anonymous said...

Korrine,

It brings joy to our hearts just knowing that you are able to be at home with your family - back where you belong!

Stay strong and know that we continue to have you in our thoughts and prayers.

Love,

The Spence Family

Anonymous said...

AMAZING...YOU ARE AMAZING! Your family is an inspiration! Because of you, your faith, your hope, I have so much more faith and hope in God. You have opened my eyes to the power of prayer and I truley believe in it now. Thank you! I am so sorry you have to go through all of this. I know when your body is free of the cancer, you are going to do so much. You already have!! God Bless you and your family!

debrabrumbaugh said...

Thrilled barely manages to convey how happy we are to hear Korrine is home. I'm reminded of a verse sent to me when I was sick ... "The Lord will guide you always; He will satisfy your needs...and will strengthen your frame. You will be like a well-watered garden, like a spring whose waters never fail." Isaiah 58:11. I trusted the Lord to guide me and strengthen me. Now, almost five years later and still cancer free, I know how true this verse is. Continue to live strong ... we're beside you all the way.
Peace,
Debra, Kyle and MacKenzie Brumbaugh

Anonymous said...

Praise God!! What wonderful news.
You will continue to be in my prayers every day!!!
Love,
Holly Owens

Lorri said...

Good Morning Korrine! Another beautiful day at home! I'm praying that you are regaining your appetite and getting stronger every day. I'm praying that every bad cell in your body is being replaced with a healthy one. I'm praying that all bleeding stops. And I'm thanking God that I get to watch His miracle...YOU...right before my eyes. Love, Lorri

Anonymous said...

I am so happy for you all! We will never stop praying! Enjoy naing in your own bed, pets and family time at home!
Love Kristi Haskins

Sue said...

Good Morning!!

I was thinking about you and praying that you're feeling well, getting stronger, able to enjoy some of your favorite foods and are just loving being home. There's no place like it!

Have a fabulous Friday, CutiePie!!

Love and hugs,
Sue

Anonymous said...

Korrine-

I'm so glad you're home! It must be nice to see your (according to you) fat cat again! Hahaha. Hopefully I'll see you soon! It was great to see you in San Francisco with Kat and Alex! Sorry I haven't written to you in a while!


Love,
Maddie Sweeney

Anonymous said...

That's absolutely amazing. I'm so happy for Korrine and family!!

Rosalyn said...

Hi Korrine! I hope you are having energy to read all these great posts and love notes yourself. We're praying that being home is just making you healthier. We love you and continue to believe with you.
The Esmeyer Family

Anonymous said...

Hi Korrine!
I'm very happy you're home :)
Tomorrow is the championship meet, I will be thinking of you, like always.
You're in my prayers,
Emma

Anonymous said...

Korrine
We are so happy you are home!!Let the healing begin. YOU are amazing!
You are always in our thoughts and prayers. A day hasn't gone by when someone hasn't asked us "How is Korrine?" I can tell them she is home and healing. We Pray to God for all your strength and the incredible love from your mom and dad. WE are all so moved beyond words.
ALL OUR LOVE
Uncle Bergie, Auntie Marcia
Nikki, Shauna, Justin, Jordan and Samantha

Lorri said...

Good morning Korrine! Thinking of you as always! Hope you are having another really great day at home and enjoying your mom's great cooking!

My miracle prayers continue...Love, Lorri

Anonymous said...

Dear Korrine & Family,
Good Morning, I hope this message finds you all happy at home!!! There is no better place to heal than home! I wanted to share an article that a friend sent me with you. I think when you read it, it will inspire you, as you inspire Team KC everyday!!! It's a bout a 12 yr. Boy named Hudson Davis and it's in the Contra Costa Times. Check it out!!! I think it will make you smile, and there's nothing like a Korrine Smile!!! Have a wonderful day!!!
XO
Wendy Vasquez & the Fam

Sue said...

Good Morning CutiePie!

You are on my mind this morning as I head out with my tea and newspaper to water my plants and sit by the pool for a bit. I pray that you are resting and getting stronger at home and enjoying all of your home cooked favorites as well as doing all those little things you like to do at home!
Have a fabulous day!!

Love,
Sue

Anonymous said...

Happy saturday Croghan family!!Here's hoping you all have a great week-end filled with good food, much laughing, pet kisses and love. julie gilmore

Anonymous said...

Thank you Lord! Korrine is home!

Wonderful news to read in between our family trips. I pray for you each day and I know that you will always be in the prayers and thoughts of so many who love you. your faith in the Lord is so strong and now your body is getting stronger too! You are amazing Korrine!

Enjoy your family and friends!
Love,
Cindy Vance

Anonymous said...

Hi Family,

So thankful that today is a good day, and that you are all home enjoying one another :)

This verse is so true . . .
Jesus looked at His disciples and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
Matthew 19:26

Loving Jesus, loving you, Auntie Denise
PS. Happy Anniversary Matt & Dana :)

Codel said...

Thank the Lord!
What wonderful news! We had been out of town for a week and we were so happy to hear the great news when we got home. We continue to put Korrine and all the family in our prayers. Keep getting stronger and rest that body so it can heal.
We are with you every step of the way!
Codel and Jan

Anonymous said...

korrine, we are so proud of you! i am so jealous of steve because he gets to see you when you visit RLCC. Know that Sunset would love to have you visit if you want to swim and RLCC is a little crowded! Now that swim team is over, its never crowded. Us Rosa girls would love to swim with you some time.
Love and prayers, Mary

Anonymous said...

This is all such wonderful news. We will continue to pray for all of you! Enjoy your time home with your family and rest and heal. God is good and will continue to answer all the prayers in your name. You are all AMAZING!!!

Anonymous said...

Korrine-

WE ARE SO EXTREMELY HAPPY YOU ARE HOME!!!!! You rock! I am wearing my liveSTRONG bracelet( I wear it all the time except for sports, I can't) I got some new nike liveSTRONG running and workout shoes, and I got oakley liveSTRONG sunglasses, and I got a liveSTRONG t-shirt! I want as much yellow as possible! On the softball field today, my arm hurt so much, and I got really hot. Then, I thought of you, someone only about a year younger than me, battling this awful disease. I thought of how your whole body probably hurts, and how you had a fever, which you can't cure by going into a cool building or something like that. That helped me realize, I am so incredibly lucky to be healthy and active(well, I think softball is probably like, nothing compared to water polo.........but ANYWAYS,) you helped me through my game. You inspired me to do my best.
You will be back playing water polo in that pool soon. I can feel it. You are amazing Korrine. You are like a mentor to me. Never give up. Your smile's to awesome!
LiveSTRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lorri said...

Hi Korrine...I thought of you all during our sermon this morning about prayer. I'll share more about that later. Hope you are having a good day. Prayers coming your way...blown with a kiss...Love, Lorri

Anonymous said...

Welcome home Korrine!

I have been checking in on you frequently and I am so happy to hear that you are home in your own bed with your family and fur-family. I hope that you continue to grow stronger and stronger. You and your amazing family are always in my thoughts and prayers. Much love to you all and thank your for sharing so much of yourselves with us. God bless you all, especially Korrine.

Sue said...

Happy Sunday Croghan Family!

Just thinking of you all and wanted to check in. Praying all is going well and you are enjoying each other and having a ton of summer fun!

Love
Sue

Anonymous said...

Happy Sunday evening Croghans! It's a gorgeous day in Elk Grove and I'm sitting by the pool working on some things for Girls Ministries and thinking of you. I had some of my Teen Girls in a meeting this afternoon and we talked a bit about you and about my other teen friend, Kaitlyn, who had back surgery on Monday. We talked about how you are both so inspiring to us that God is allowing you to each show HIS power through your trials. Thank you for allowing Him to do that. I would do almost anything to take your pain, exhaustion, frustration, fear, or any of the other "junk" that comes along in trials like this for each of you. But He would not have accomplished through me, what he is accomplishing through each of you. Korrine, you have touched SO MANY LIVES! You are a precious vessel of the message of the power of God, of faith, of hope, of healing, of miracles of tenacity. Precious girl.. precious family.

If you are feeling up to it... surf on over to say hi to my friend Kaitlyn. You can find her at http://kblackwood.blogspot.com. She'd love to hear from you. You have been and incredible inspiration to her and her mom as they prepared for this surgery. Thank you.... for your 1000 watt smile that you have not allowed the enemy to dim, for your courage and for allowing all of us to see all that is happening from your family's perspective, for being vulneralble and open. I don't know about others, but it helps me be bold now in reaching out when I don't know what to say to people. Your openness has helped to educate people in how to respond. So much good. Take that to heart Croghans. It has been a valuable thing.

blessings & hugs,

Arla

Lorri said...

Just saying Good Morning! Did I ever mention how much I enjoy all the photos on your blog? It's like having a peek in a scrapbook everyday and I love scrapbooks!

Celebrating one more day at home with you Korrine. Continuing prayer for your full healing!

Love, Lorri

Anonymous said...

Hi Korrine,

It's me, Bec. I was listenin' to the news radio (woo hoo-ha) about the young adults getting ready for the summer olympics. 'Made me think of you and the day you will be on the olympic team. You already are a gold medalist in my book...Love u and ur fam' lotz.

Delight yourself in the Lord!
Stephen and Rebecca

Anonymous said...

Korrine....we are so happy that you are home with your family. We continue to pray for you and your family and know through your experiences that prayers really are answered and miracles happen! Love to you all.....Kathy, Steve, Elyse, Lesley, Kendra and Paul

Sue said...

Good Morning Korrine and family!

Just poppin' in to check on you. Hope today is a great day for you!!

Love and hugs,
Sue

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you tonight Croghans. Loving you and praying for you.

Anonymous said...

Yes...

Continued Prayers
Liz James Ben and Pam