"Let no one ever come to you without leaving better and happier. Be the living expression of God's kindness; kindness in your face, kindness in your eyes, kindness in your smile, kindness in your warm greeting."
Mother Teresa

Smile

Cancer stripped her of everything including her life but it could not steal away God's LOVE, PEACE and the JOY that radiated through her. Korrine never stopped SMILING!
Korrine Lannie Croghan

Korrine Croghan was a vivacious 14-year-old girl who lived all of her life in Livermore, CA. She had a love for animals, sports, and most of all, family. Korrine was a straight “A” student while attending Mendenhall Middle School and was working hard in her first trimester at Granada High. She was a great friend to many and was everything that a brother, mother and father could ask for in a daughter. Korrine was the type of girl who would greet you with a wide smile and look into your eyes and truly would want to know how you were doing

Korrine & Cancer

On December 20th, 2007, Korrine was diagnosed with Choriocarcinoma with a germ cell element. Choriocarcinoma is a very rare type of cancer in teenage girls and inflicts less than 200 nationwide each year. Although the cancer started in her left ovary, the cancer had spread to her right ovary, lungs and liver. After the removal of a cantaloupe sized tumor in her left ovary on December 21st of 2007, Korrine, endured 10 months of intense chemotherapy designed for adult men.

During the course of her treatment, Korrine suffered many complications. In early April of 2007, her liver began to bleed. After staying at Kaiser Oakland for almost two weeks, Korrine was transfered to UCSF and spent a month in the intensive care unit. The doctors at UCSF Medical Center were finally able to stop her bleeding liver, but, not before it filled her abdomen with 5 liters of blood that had to be drained via a tube inserted into her stomach. On top of that, both of Korrines’ lungs collapsed while undergoing a CT scan that almost took her life. Because of that, 2 liters of fluid needed to be drained off of her lungs with the use of another drainage tube. Throughout her treatment Korrine needed numerous blood and platelet transfusions. She had nosebleeds that lasted an hour on several occasions. At one point, she had 18 intravenous tubes running through her body filled with anti-bacterials, anti-fungals, nutrition, painkillers and chemotherapy. Korrine miraculously made it through those tough days at UCSF and returned to Kaiser Hospital in Oakland. She was finally stable and was released to go home in late June. Just as things were starting to look up for her, she suffered septic shock in July that forced her to go back into intensive care at Kaiser in Santa Clara for 2 weeks.

Korrine returned home in late July and went through imaging scans to see if the cancer had disappeared. The scans always came back good, but not great. In an effort to kill and stop the remaining cancer cells, she underwent an emergency round of chemotherapy in early September. Unfortunately, it did kill the remaining cancer and her doctors had run out of options.

Korrine spent her last days at home with her family reading books and loving on her cats and dog. She passed away quietly, at home, on October 27th, 2008. Through it all, Korrine had a positive attitude and never gave up or complained. Many consider Korrine a hero.

Team KC

The Team KC website was originally started as a way to encourage, educate, raise awareness, and keep friends and family informed with accurate information on Korrine's treatment and progress. Family, classmates, friends, community members, and complete strangers rallied to support Korrine and her family through her fight against Choriocarcinoma. We were amazed by the amount of support we received, and it is now our desire to give back. In March, 2009, Team KC became an official nonprofit by joining forces with Kaiser Foundation Hospital. All monies raised by Team KC will directly benefit pediatric cancer patients and their families. All monetary contributions are tax deductible.

Our Mission: To help improve the quality of life of pediatric cancer patients and their families. We wish to supply children with fun activities, toys and anything else that will brighten and better their lives. Monies will also be used to help parents pay for bills and defray the costs of gas, food and lodging that go along with caring for a child with cancer.

Stay Positive, LIVESTRONG & Welcome to Team KC!

*This is the official Team KC website and the only website approved by the Croghan family. Please do not use content, images, or video from this site without permission. This is an effort to respect the family's privacy and ensure that all content is accurate and approved. Thank you for your cooperation.
A Note From Korrine (written after her 4th round of Chemo)...

Hello everyone! It's me, Korrine. I just wanted to take a
moment to thank each and every one of you for supporting me through emails,
visits, food, gifts, and most importantly, prayer. Without it, I probably
wouldn't have made it this far. Anyways, on a happier note, I am happy to
announce that I am feeling very good. This last round of chemo hit me pretty
hard, but I think that it is more exiting to end things with a big BANG! I will
try to start writing things for the blog now that my chemo therapy is over, but
until then, just know that I love every single one of you and I am always
thinking about my family, friends, and even the people who I've never met
before. Thanks for joining my battle and for making this experience "The
Experience of a Lifetime." LIVESTRONG! And stay positive.

Korrine Lannie Croghan

Saturday, July 19, 2008

Korrine was stable enough to move to a private room out of ICU last night, all else is the same as previous post.

33 comments:

Lorri said...

Lorri checking in: still in pj's and wearing my 24 hour a day reminder to pray for Korrine - my yellow LiveStrong band.

Thanking God for Korrine's private room. Praying unceasingly that God will leave us astonished and amazed as He heals Korrine's body.

Loving you Croghans...Lorri

Anonymous said...

Dear Korrine,
All my thoughts are with you.
You are a true wonder.
julie gilmore

Anonymous said...

Good Morning Korrine,
I woke up at 3am this morning from the moon beams shining on me through my bedroom window. When I could not go back to sleep I got up and prayed for you. I was so happy to find on your blog this morning that you have become stable enough to move out of ICU into a private room. You are in my thoughts and prayers precious one. Here is one of the prayers by Saint Teresa of Avila that I said for you:
Let nothing upset you;
Let nothing frighten you.
Everything is changing;
God alone is changeless.
Patience attains the goal.
Who has God lacks nothing;
God alone fills every need.
Sending you loving and healing thoughts and prayers,
Donna & Bill Manning

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to learn that you're back in the hospital, but happy to learn that you are out of ICU and in a private room. You and your family remain in my daily prayers and I'm praying that you are able to return home very soon.
Glenda Thornton

Anonymous said...

She is a true champion! Much love and prayers to you Korrine as you overcome this next hurdle in your fight. My prayers continue.

Sue said...

Good Morning Croghans~

Just checking in with you all this morning. Good to hear that Korrine's been moved to a private room. I will continue to pray for the complete healing of her body and for peace and strength for you all.
Thank you for keeping us updated.

Love you,
Sue

Anonymous said...

Thinking of all of you Croghan family. So thankful that Korrine is out of ICU and back in a private room. We will continue our prayers and believe that GOD will answer them. You are so amazing Korrine, keep up the faith and fight and always remember how many of us are out here cheering you on.. So good to hear you are still smiling =)
Much love
Kevin, Tamika, Grant Garrett and Kendra Riddiough

Anonymous said...

My dad was at this hospital on July 7 due to a stroke. This hospital is only 2 years old and is really special. My dad received excellent care and I am sure Korrine will too. Praying for you and your family today and always. Stay tough cause attitude is everything. Love, Teresa Coleman and Family

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear Korrine's in a private room. We were at the Outback Steakhouse and my son was wearing his TeamKC shirt...the hostess knows Matt and I said "Oh then you must be praying for her too" and her response was "Yes we all are!" So more prayers are being said....keep the faith...and remember God Listens!
Love,
The Linney family

Anonymous said...

Every step is a giant leap! Praise God.

<3 You!

Rosalyn said...

Hi Korrine,
We haven't stopped praying for you and your family. God IS with us. God DOES hear us. We love you all and pray without ceasing and continue to believe and hope with you.
The Esmeyer Family

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Croghan family, for sharing Korrine's fight and sharing your lives with your community.
I am thankful to know Korrine got her own room. Thank you Lord.
Korrine: stay strong, you will conquer this battle. Fight hard and LIVESTRONG...

JanG said...

Dear Croghan Family - We continue to keep you in our thoughts and prayers.
All our love,
the Gutierrez Family

Lorri said...

Still knit to you in prayer. Just checking in to let you know.

Love, Lorri and the Steer family

Janet Hemmig said...

Korrine,

We all continue to pray hard for you. You are an amazing young lady. I wear my LIVESTRONG bracelet to as a constant reminder of you and your family. Team KC is praying for you sweetheart and your wonderful family.

Love, Kyle, Janet & Chad

Adam Coates said...

Hey, Korrine,

I am always amazed by your resilience. Stay strong. I hope you'll be back to floating around the pool and enjoying your own bed at Chateau Croghan again soon.

I think of you daily. You are a vision.

Adam

Anonymous said...

Dear Korrine & Family,

I am a member of Cornerstone a and wanted to let you know that I am praying for you. If you need any blood, please contact me. I am the universal donor (o-). I would be happy to give as often as I can.
Blessings,
Chris Wagner
cwgems@comcast.net
(925)895-2224 cell

Sue said...

CutiePie~

I pray today is a good day for you. I thought of you as I was out watering my newly planted flowers this morning. They are so beautiful, just like you, and are being blown all over the place but are staying strong. Keep the faith, stay strong and know that many prayers are being said for you.

Love to you all,
Sue

Anonymous said...

Korrine, Sean, Dana and Matt,

My prayers and positive thoughts have been flowing constantly. I was out of town Friday and Saturday but I carry you with me wherever I go.

I'd gone up to Corning, CA to visit my sister. My daughter, Cassie went too. One of things I really love about the hotel is the small indoor pool and hot tub. Best of all the pool and hot tub are open 24 hours.

At 1:00 in the morning, I was swimming away, thinking of Korrine, knowing how happy she'd be in the water. As I relaxed in the hot tub, I looked at my LIVESTRONG bracelet, under the water with bubbles flowing across it... It is a constant reminder of Korrine's battle and amazing spirit.

No matter where I am, when I see a LIVESTRONG bracelet on someone's wrist, I think of Korrine! (I used to think of Lance Armstrong... but now it is ALL about KORRINE!)

hugs and much love, kathy t.

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you and praying for you as always.

Blessings and hugs,

Arla & Familu

Anonymous said...

Heavenly Father,
We thank you for every miracle you have performed so far and look forward to your complete healing for Korrine.
Please surround her family with your unexplainable peace, Lord.
I lift Korrine to you and pray for the hands of the Master to hold and heal her.
Thank you Lord.

Anonymous said...

Korrine-

Just wanted to let you know you rock!

Always liveSTRONG(I know you do!)

We are praying for you.

Anonymous said...

Korrine,

Happy Monday Sweet Girl! I had a dream last night that I had Mary at Dr. Marcel's office for her retainer check and you came in with your Mom and Dad and Sean. We hugged and kissed and that's about all I remember. It was nice to hug you and your family. That was way cool.

Today I pray, Lord that you would take Korrine's hand in yours and give her the comfort and healing she needs from you Lord. Cause her body to respond well to all that the Doctors are doing so that she can overcome this cancer and its effects. Keep Dana & Matt strong. Help Sean to feel encouraged and confident, Lord.

Bind the enemy from any discouraging attacks, Lord. Chase him out and ban him from any of this situation. We claim victory now, Lord.
Thank you, in the name of Jesus.

Amen

Lorri said...

Another day. More Prayer. Sending more love. Asking God to heal you.

Love, Lorri

Anonymous said...

Hi Korrine,

We are so thankful you are back in a private room.We are praying that you will be able to return back home soon. We know the Lord has a plan and that all things work for good, so we cling to that promise.

You and your family are in our prayers.

God bless you.. Shannon and Nicole Osterberg, Cheryl, Geoff, Eric and Justin Smyth

Anonymous said...

dear Croghans,

i'm praying for you daily, and I'm glad Korrine is out of ICU.
My 5 yr old had a dirtbiking accident this weekend and when we heard he had to stay in the hospital he whispered to me "Mom, I realy don't like this place and want to go home" It made me think how Korrine must feel, after all this time, she's such a trooper and fighting this battle with such grace, I have so much respect for her and you as parents, I pray she'll be home soon, and for her body to beat this awfull disease.
keep up to good fight,
Bless you!
Annet Hammond.

Anonymous said...

Korrine,

Just wanted to let you know that you are still in our thoughts and daily prayers.

LiveSTRONG beautiful girl!!!

The Campbell family

Anonymous said...

Korrine, Sean, Dana and Matt,

Just a hello to say I'm thinking of all of you and sending positive thoughts and prayers your way.

I was at UCSF this AM with my daughter, Becky, for her follow appt for her kidney transplant. I thought of the time you spent there... and I am thankful for the great care you got.

I know we are very thankful for the care Becky and her Dad got too, when they had their surgeries. Next month it will be their one year "kidney-versary!"

I know you are also in great hands once again... at Kaiser. I know you would rather be back home and I'm hoping you'll be feeling better and stronger and are back home soon.

hugs and much love, kathy t.

Anonymous said...

Dear Croghan's
Just checking in to see how everyone is doing. You all remain in our prayers -
The Thornton's

The Gilberts said...

We pray for you continuously and think of your beautiful smile, courageous spirit and precious family!

Love to you sweety!

The Gilberts

Sue said...

Hi Croghans~

Checking in on you today with hopes of good things. You remain in my daily prayers and thoughts.

Love and hugs,
Sue

Codel said...

Matt, Dana, Korrine, and Sean,
Please know that you are all in our thoughts and prayers every day! You are such a courageous and strong family. We are fighting with you in spirit.
Jan and Codel

Anonymous said...

We were at a swim meet in Pleasanton this weekend. I was wearing a Team KC t-shirt and another mom flashed me her Team KC bracelet. People are thinking about you and praying for you everywhere.
We were so glad to hear that you were moved to a private room.
We pray that the situation continues to improve.
Take Care.
Love,
The Opipari Family