Transfusions are complete and she is coming home. Please continued Prayer.
"Let no one ever come to you without leaving better and happier. Be the living expression of God's kindness; kindness in your face, kindness in your eyes, kindness in your smile, kindness in your warm greeting."
Mother Teresa
Mother Teresa
Smile
Cancer stripped her of everything including her life but it could not steal away God's LOVE, PEACE and the JOY that radiated through her. Korrine never stopped SMILING!
Korrine Lannie Croghan
Korrine Croghan was a vivacious 14-year-old girl who lived all of her life in Livermore, CA. She had a love for animals, sports, and most of all, family. Korrine was a straight “A” student while attending Mendenhall Middle School and was working hard in her first trimester at Granada High. She was a great friend to many and was everything that a brother, mother and father could ask for in a daughter. Korrine was the type of girl who would greet you with a wide smile and look into your eyes and truly would want to know how you were doing
Korrine & Cancer
On December 20th, 2007, Korrine was diagnosed with Choriocarcinoma with a germ cell element. Choriocarcinoma is a very rare type of cancer in teenage girls and inflicts less than 200 nationwide each year. Although the cancer started in her left ovary, the cancer had spread to her right ovary, lungs and liver. After the removal of a cantaloupe sized tumor in her left ovary on December 21st of 2007, Korrine, endured 10 months of intense chemotherapy designed for adult men.
During the course of her treatment, Korrine suffered many complications. In early April of 2007, her liver began to bleed. After staying at Kaiser Oakland for almost two weeks, Korrine was transfered to UCSF and spent a month in the intensive care unit. The doctors at UCSF Medical Center were finally able to stop her bleeding liver, but, not before it filled her abdomen with 5 liters of blood that had to be drained via a tube inserted into her stomach. On top of that, both of Korrines’ lungs collapsed while undergoing a CT scan that almost took her life. Because of that, 2 liters of fluid needed to be drained off of her lungs with the use of another drainage tube. Throughout her treatment Korrine needed numerous blood and platelet transfusions. She had nosebleeds that lasted an hour on several occasions. At one point, she had 18 intravenous tubes running through her body filled with anti-bacterials, anti-fungals, nutrition, painkillers and chemotherapy. Korrine miraculously made it through those tough days at UCSF and returned to Kaiser Hospital in Oakland. She was finally stable and was released to go home in late June. Just as things were starting to look up for her, she suffered septic shock in July that forced her to go back into intensive care at Kaiser in Santa Clara for 2 weeks.
Korrine returned home in late July and went through imaging scans to see if the cancer had disappeared. The scans always came back good, but not great. In an effort to kill and stop the remaining cancer cells, she underwent an emergency round of chemotherapy in early September. Unfortunately, it did kill the remaining cancer and her doctors had run out of options.
Korrine spent her last days at home with her family reading books and loving on her cats and dog. She passed away quietly, at home, on October 27th, 2008. Through it all, Korrine had a positive attitude and never gave up or complained. Many consider Korrine a hero.
Team KC
The Team KC website was originally started as a way to encourage, educate, raise awareness, and keep friends and family informed with accurate information on Korrine's treatment and progress. Family, classmates, friends, community members, and complete strangers rallied to support Korrine and her family through her fight against Choriocarcinoma. We were amazed by the amount of support we received, and it is now our desire to give back. In March, 2009, Team KC became an official nonprofit by joining forces with Kaiser Foundation Hospital. All monies raised by Team KC will directly benefit pediatric cancer patients and their families. All monetary contributions are tax deductible.
Our Mission: To help improve the quality of life of pediatric cancer patients and their families. We wish to supply children with fun activities, toys and anything else that will brighten and better their lives. Monies will also be used to help parents pay for bills and defray the costs of gas, food and lodging that go along with caring for a child with cancer.
Stay Positive, LIVESTRONG & Welcome to Team KC!
*This is the official Team KC website and the only website approved by the Croghan family. Please do not use content, images, or video from this site without permission. This is an effort to respect the family's privacy and ensure that all content is accurate and approved. Thank you for your cooperation.
Korrine Croghan was a vivacious 14-year-old girl who lived all of her life in Livermore, CA. She had a love for animals, sports, and most of all, family. Korrine was a straight “A” student while attending Mendenhall Middle School and was working hard in her first trimester at Granada High. She was a great friend to many and was everything that a brother, mother and father could ask for in a daughter. Korrine was the type of girl who would greet you with a wide smile and look into your eyes and truly would want to know how you were doing
Korrine & Cancer
On December 20th, 2007, Korrine was diagnosed with Choriocarcinoma with a germ cell element. Choriocarcinoma is a very rare type of cancer in teenage girls and inflicts less than 200 nationwide each year. Although the cancer started in her left ovary, the cancer had spread to her right ovary, lungs and liver. After the removal of a cantaloupe sized tumor in her left ovary on December 21st of 2007, Korrine, endured 10 months of intense chemotherapy designed for adult men.
During the course of her treatment, Korrine suffered many complications. In early April of 2007, her liver began to bleed. After staying at Kaiser Oakland for almost two weeks, Korrine was transfered to UCSF and spent a month in the intensive care unit. The doctors at UCSF Medical Center were finally able to stop her bleeding liver, but, not before it filled her abdomen with 5 liters of blood that had to be drained via a tube inserted into her stomach. On top of that, both of Korrines’ lungs collapsed while undergoing a CT scan that almost took her life. Because of that, 2 liters of fluid needed to be drained off of her lungs with the use of another drainage tube. Throughout her treatment Korrine needed numerous blood and platelet transfusions. She had nosebleeds that lasted an hour on several occasions. At one point, she had 18 intravenous tubes running through her body filled with anti-bacterials, anti-fungals, nutrition, painkillers and chemotherapy. Korrine miraculously made it through those tough days at UCSF and returned to Kaiser Hospital in Oakland. She was finally stable and was released to go home in late June. Just as things were starting to look up for her, she suffered septic shock in July that forced her to go back into intensive care at Kaiser in Santa Clara for 2 weeks.
Korrine returned home in late July and went through imaging scans to see if the cancer had disappeared. The scans always came back good, but not great. In an effort to kill and stop the remaining cancer cells, she underwent an emergency round of chemotherapy in early September. Unfortunately, it did kill the remaining cancer and her doctors had run out of options.
Korrine spent her last days at home with her family reading books and loving on her cats and dog. She passed away quietly, at home, on October 27th, 2008. Through it all, Korrine had a positive attitude and never gave up or complained. Many consider Korrine a hero.
Team KC
The Team KC website was originally started as a way to encourage, educate, raise awareness, and keep friends and family informed with accurate information on Korrine's treatment and progress. Family, classmates, friends, community members, and complete strangers rallied to support Korrine and her family through her fight against Choriocarcinoma. We were amazed by the amount of support we received, and it is now our desire to give back. In March, 2009, Team KC became an official nonprofit by joining forces with Kaiser Foundation Hospital. All monies raised by Team KC will directly benefit pediatric cancer patients and their families. All monetary contributions are tax deductible.
Our Mission: To help improve the quality of life of pediatric cancer patients and their families. We wish to supply children with fun activities, toys and anything else that will brighten and better their lives. Monies will also be used to help parents pay for bills and defray the costs of gas, food and lodging that go along with caring for a child with cancer.
Stay Positive, LIVESTRONG & Welcome to Team KC!
*This is the official Team KC website and the only website approved by the Croghan family. Please do not use content, images, or video from this site without permission. This is an effort to respect the family's privacy and ensure that all content is accurate and approved. Thank you for your cooperation.
A Note From Korrine (written after her 4th round of Chemo)...
Hello everyone! It's me, Korrine. I just wanted to take a
moment to thank each and every one of you for supporting me through emails,
visits, food, gifts, and most importantly, prayer. Without it, I probably
wouldn't have made it this far. Anyways, on a happier note, I am happy to
announce that I am feeling very good. This last round of chemo hit me pretty
hard, but I think that it is more exiting to end things with a big BANG! I will
try to start writing things for the blog now that my chemo therapy is over, but
until then, just know that I love every single one of you and I am always
thinking about my family, friends, and even the people who I've never met
before. Thanks for joining my battle and for making this experience "The
Experience of a Lifetime." LIVESTRONG! And stay positive.
Korrine Lannie Croghan
Hello everyone! It's me, Korrine. I just wanted to take a
moment to thank each and every one of you for supporting me through emails,
visits, food, gifts, and most importantly, prayer. Without it, I probably
wouldn't have made it this far. Anyways, on a happier note, I am happy to
announce that I am feeling very good. This last round of chemo hit me pretty
hard, but I think that it is more exiting to end things with a big BANG! I will
try to start writing things for the blog now that my chemo therapy is over, but
until then, just know that I love every single one of you and I am always
thinking about my family, friends, and even the people who I've never met
before. Thanks for joining my battle and for making this experience "The
Experience of a Lifetime." LIVESTRONG! And stay positive.
Korrine Lannie Croghan
Tuesday, July 15, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
22 comments:
It is wonderful to see Korrine being able to get treatment and then return home, she never ceases to amaze everyone. We love the picture of her smiling in her bed at home, we can't imagine how excited all of you are to have her home again. The prayers are coming your way in full force, we are so happy for all of you.
Love - The Larsens
What WONDERFUL news that Korrine is coming home today - YAY!!! :)
My prayers will continue to be that her heart rate will slow down and her blood pressure will return to normal.
Hi Korrine! I'm so happy that your stay in the hospital was a quick one! Yee-haw! (I so wish I had your blood type, but I don't.) You have yourself a good, restful day today, OK? Ahhh... to be able to enjoy ALL the comforts of HOME... Priceless!
All my love and hugs to the entire Croghan family on this Tuesday!
Cindy Brian
You little Speed Racer! Get that fill up and you're outta there! Yea! Another day at HOME! Enjoy!
Love, Lorri
ps...told you you were in Good Hands!
Praise God for another homecoming! Hope she feels great!
Great news! We will continue to pray hard for Korrine.
Love, Kyle, Janet & Chad
Yah! i'm so happy that korrine is doing so much better! I keep praying for things like this to happen more often! We love you korrine and you have been such an inspiration to our community and I! Have a wonderful time while your at home! And enjoy this HOT weather we've been having!! Time for you to really kick off your summer!
Love,
Audrey WAlke
Glad to hear it was such a short hospital stay. We are continuing to pray for complete healing.
The Bauer Family
YIPPEE!!! That's right. Continued prayers go out to you Korrine and your family.
God bless and LiveSTRONG.
The Campbell family
Dear Korrine,
I am so glad to read that you are on your way home today. Our prayers for you will continue: We will pray that the A- blood and platelets are available when you need them, that your heart rate and blood pressure return to normal and that you will soon be rid of all that ails you. Our prayers for 100% complete healing will continue.
I'm glad that you're able to return home! Enjoy!
Love,
Glenda, Richard, & Kirra
WHOOHOO!! Couldn't be happier for you Croghan family!
Continued prayers and much love,
Sue
so glad to hear you are on your way home again, that is the best medicine to be in your own bed surrounded by your loved ones..
We have been out of town but have been thinking and praying for you often. All of our friends and family out of state know about you and ask and pray about you too and so glad to be able to give them good news. Continue to stay strong and fight this cancer.
We love you
The Riddiough family
I love the new (utube) song on your site. I listened to every word of that song and read your recent postings..and I had tears of overwhelming joy for you!! Praise God! I will continue to pray for healing...you are on your way Korrine! You are in my thoughts and prayers everyday.
Wonderful News!
My family and I just returned from 9 days of camping and I missed reading your blog each day so much! It was so great to read that you are home Korrine and that you are enjoying some of your favorite things.
I prayed for you and your family each day and I especially loved praying for you in the mornings as I walked through the woods and along the lake. I loved thinking about you as I rode fast in the front of our boat. One day was especially nice and I prayed that you would be walking in a beautiful forest or zooming on a lake in a fast boat some day soon. You deserve the greatest joys that our world has to offer. You have been going through so much!
I will continue to pray for your healing and for platelet donations. I pray that your tests will show great progress against this horrible cancer.
Take care sweetie and enjoy the peace and quiet of your home and family!
Love and prayers,
Cindy Vance
You go it! We continue to pray and think of you all everyday.
Love, The Nagy Family
What an answer to prayer. We think of you all and pray for you often. We are so happy that you have more time to spend together outside of a hospital room. You are such a precious family and an inspiration to so many people. We love you guys and will pray for continued healing for Korrine.
Love,
Troy-Jenny-Kamden
Korrine,
I'm so happy to hear that you had a nice, quick-as-could-be visit to the hospital and you are on your way back home. I know that HOME is where you want to be.
I hope your appetite is good and that you are getting stronger each day.
My prayers will include the hope that your platele numbers stay where they need to be and you get a little longer break from going back to the hospital.
You are an AMAZING YOUNG LADY! Give my love to you family and take good care of YOU!
hugs and love, kathy t.
Glad to hear that you are back where you belong, at home.
We are all thinking relaxing, Zen thoughts for your heartrate and BP.
We pray for you everyday.
Take Care,
The Opipari's
God is able. Thank you, Lord!!
Korrine, rest up, eat well, laugh a lot and enjoy being in your own bed! Wish you could hear me screaming (I have been told I am loud-loud sneezer, loud laugher, loud clapper, loud whistler). Now I am just screaming happy you were in and out! Praying for you and still passing you on to others for prayer too!
So glad you have that smile, makes me smile!
Lots of love
Korrine,
I'm so happy to hear you're home! May you find your strength in the tremendous amount of love and support surrounding you from your family and friends...oh and don't forget your pets! Continue to get stronger sweetie. Hugs to the entire Croghan family
Love and prayers always,
Mitsi Fukushima Taylor
Hi Korrine...praying that this day finds you resting comfortably in the wonderful surroundings of your own home. Sending love and blessings to you and your family today. You are never far from my thoughts and prayers. I'm so proud of your stamina and faith. I know you have your eyes on Jesus. It shows.
Loving you today, Lorri
So glad you are back at home!! Continued prayers and hugs and love to you always!
woo hoo woo hoo woo hoo!!! Good for you Korrine!
a
Post a Comment