"Let no one ever come to you without leaving better and happier. Be the living expression of God's kindness; kindness in your face, kindness in your eyes, kindness in your smile, kindness in your warm greeting."
Mother Teresa

Smile

Cancer stripped her of everything including her life but it could not steal away God's LOVE, PEACE and the JOY that radiated through her. Korrine never stopped SMILING!
Korrine Lannie Croghan

Korrine Croghan was a vivacious 14-year-old girl who lived all of her life in Livermore, CA. She had a love for animals, sports, and most of all, family. Korrine was a straight “A” student while attending Mendenhall Middle School and was working hard in her first trimester at Granada High. She was a great friend to many and was everything that a brother, mother and father could ask for in a daughter. Korrine was the type of girl who would greet you with a wide smile and look into your eyes and truly would want to know how you were doing

Korrine & Cancer

On December 20th, 2007, Korrine was diagnosed with Choriocarcinoma with a germ cell element. Choriocarcinoma is a very rare type of cancer in teenage girls and inflicts less than 200 nationwide each year. Although the cancer started in her left ovary, the cancer had spread to her right ovary, lungs and liver. After the removal of a cantaloupe sized tumor in her left ovary on December 21st of 2007, Korrine, endured 10 months of intense chemotherapy designed for adult men.

During the course of her treatment, Korrine suffered many complications. In early April of 2007, her liver began to bleed. After staying at Kaiser Oakland for almost two weeks, Korrine was transfered to UCSF and spent a month in the intensive care unit. The doctors at UCSF Medical Center were finally able to stop her bleeding liver, but, not before it filled her abdomen with 5 liters of blood that had to be drained via a tube inserted into her stomach. On top of that, both of Korrines’ lungs collapsed while undergoing a CT scan that almost took her life. Because of that, 2 liters of fluid needed to be drained off of her lungs with the use of another drainage tube. Throughout her treatment Korrine needed numerous blood and platelet transfusions. She had nosebleeds that lasted an hour on several occasions. At one point, she had 18 intravenous tubes running through her body filled with anti-bacterials, anti-fungals, nutrition, painkillers and chemotherapy. Korrine miraculously made it through those tough days at UCSF and returned to Kaiser Hospital in Oakland. She was finally stable and was released to go home in late June. Just as things were starting to look up for her, she suffered septic shock in July that forced her to go back into intensive care at Kaiser in Santa Clara for 2 weeks.

Korrine returned home in late July and went through imaging scans to see if the cancer had disappeared. The scans always came back good, but not great. In an effort to kill and stop the remaining cancer cells, she underwent an emergency round of chemotherapy in early September. Unfortunately, it did kill the remaining cancer and her doctors had run out of options.

Korrine spent her last days at home with her family reading books and loving on her cats and dog. She passed away quietly, at home, on October 27th, 2008. Through it all, Korrine had a positive attitude and never gave up or complained. Many consider Korrine a hero.

Team KC

The Team KC website was originally started as a way to encourage, educate, raise awareness, and keep friends and family informed with accurate information on Korrine's treatment and progress. Family, classmates, friends, community members, and complete strangers rallied to support Korrine and her family through her fight against Choriocarcinoma. We were amazed by the amount of support we received, and it is now our desire to give back. In March, 2009, Team KC became an official nonprofit by joining forces with Kaiser Foundation Hospital. All monies raised by Team KC will directly benefit pediatric cancer patients and their families. All monetary contributions are tax deductible.

Our Mission: To help improve the quality of life of pediatric cancer patients and their families. We wish to supply children with fun activities, toys and anything else that will brighten and better their lives. Monies will also be used to help parents pay for bills and defray the costs of gas, food and lodging that go along with caring for a child with cancer.

Stay Positive, LIVESTRONG & Welcome to Team KC!

*This is the official Team KC website and the only website approved by the Croghan family. Please do not use content, images, or video from this site without permission. This is an effort to respect the family's privacy and ensure that all content is accurate and approved. Thank you for your cooperation.
A Note From Korrine (written after her 4th round of Chemo)...

Hello everyone! It's me, Korrine. I just wanted to take a
moment to thank each and every one of you for supporting me through emails,
visits, food, gifts, and most importantly, prayer. Without it, I probably
wouldn't have made it this far. Anyways, on a happier note, I am happy to
announce that I am feeling very good. This last round of chemo hit me pretty
hard, but I think that it is more exiting to end things with a big BANG! I will
try to start writing things for the blog now that my chemo therapy is over, but
until then, just know that I love every single one of you and I am always
thinking about my family, friends, and even the people who I've never met
before. Thanks for joining my battle and for making this experience "The
Experience of a Lifetime." LIVESTRONG! And stay positive.

Korrine Lannie Croghan

Friday, July 18, 2008

Every moment counts!

Wednesday morning at 8:30 a.m. Korrine was having a healthy breakfast and doing great eating and reading. 45 minutes later when I was caring for her and giving her daily medications I noticed she looked different. I took her temperature it was 101.4 I called the oncology clinic because a fever with a neutropenic oncology patient can turn bad quickly. The clinic said to come in we took her in immediately. The clinic began I.V. fluids and antibiotics and took great care of Korrine the doctors and nurses care for Korrine at the clinic was life saving. Within hours her fever increased and her blood pressure started to drop significantly. They called for an ambulance we rushed her to the Emergency Room and from their she was taken by ambulance to the new Kaiser Campus in Santa Clara. She was admitted for Septic Shock. Korrine remains courageous, brave, positive and smiles every chance she gets. The blood bank in Oakland is shipping her blood products to Santa Clara. She has had blood transfusions and platelet transfusions. Korrine will continue to stay in the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit until she is stable enough to move to a private room on the pediatric floor.  Korrine's body is eating up platelets and her body is not responding to transfusions the way we would like. It is as if her body has created an anti body to platelets.  Her counts continue to be low even after transfusion.  Please continue to donate as we will continue to give her platelet transfusions until the doctors tell us they are going to stop transfusing because her body no longer responds to platelet transfusions.  It truly is a moment by moment journey. One moment we are on cloud nine because we see she is home and feeling better and within minutes things change. Korrine is not giving up and neither will we. She has overcome significant obstacles and is continuing to do so. Let's continue to be dedicated to praying for her and supporting her thru her struggle to fight this cancer. She truly is amazing.


We refuse to give up Faith and Hope!
Stay Positive and LiveSTRONG for KORRINE.
Dana and Matt Croghan

28 comments:

Lorri said...

Dana and Matt - I have been checking the blog all morning for an update. I have my LiveStrong band on and will continue in prayer for Korrine's miracle healing. Love, Lorri

Anonymous said...

From our Savior to the C family...

"Just know that I am here"

Anonymous said...

Dana, You are such a great caregiver to Korrine. You are so in tune with Korrine that you immediately noticed she was not looking right, and you took the right steps. You are so right that things can change so quickly.This has been such a roller coaster for all of you, and our hearts go out to you.

Thanks for the update, and we will be praying for Korrine's recovery.

Anonymous said...

Sending good thoughts,smiles, and prayers your way!!!
XO
Taylor,Savannah,Wendy & Aj Vasquez

Anonymous said...

Our prayers are with you, Korrine, and your family. We are praying for God's mercy and blessings on you and your family. Please, God, heal this child.

Rita said...

Dana,

Great catch. You are doing a wonderful job caring for Korrine. I konw things are tough for you and Matt. Hopefully, knowing all of us are pulling for you helps a bit. Stay positive. Send Korrine my love. Remember it is a roller coaster - another "up" will be here soon.

Love,

Rita Pincenti-Smith

Anonymous said...

Dana,
God could not
be everywhere,
so he made mothers.
proverb

This must have been written with you in mind. You are always in my thoughts and prayers.
julie gilmore

Anonymous said...

Dana, my prayers are for you and the family. Love Chris Kroeckel

Anonymous said...

Dear Family,

It's hard to be so far away right now, but we are praying strong for all of you while we are gone.

Korrine, Uncle Mark and I have worn our Live Strong and Team KC bracelets for 7mos. now. We tell everyone who asks us about you, our sweet, courageous, beautiful niece, and ask them to join us as we continue to pray for you every day!

You constantly amaze us with your love for life & for Jesus . . . He has His angels watching over you. Huge hugs to you, your mom, dad & sean! We will see you soon!

Much love,
Auntie Denise & Uncle Mark

Sue said...

Croghan Family~

You are all in my contstant thoughts and prayers. I pray for complete healing for Korrine, and strength to get through this stressful time.
CutiePie will not give up, nor will Team KC -- who are right there with you all in spirit and walking with you in faith.

With love,
Sue

Anonymous said...

My prayers are with all of you.
Emma

Anonymous said...

I'm praying for you Korrine!
~Megan Davis

Anonymous said...

I'm praying for you Korrine!
~Megan Davis

Anonymous said...

Dana and Matt, you have such an amazing family. I can't even imagine the constant stress that you are under. Caring for a family member is so frustarting when you know you can't heal them completely and save them from pain. You're in my heart and prayers.
Love Kristi Haskins

Anonymous said...

You all are in my thoughts and prayers. You are on the front line of this battle but know you have thousands of troops backing you up!

Cherie Davis

Anonymous said...

We all continue to pray-strong, hope-strong, keep-the-faith-strong, love-strong, think-strong, and live-strong...all in Korrine's (and the WHOLE Croghan clan's)name. You are never alone on this path that God has chosen for you! All His angels in heaven above as well as all His angels here on earth are with you each step of the way.

With much love,
Keri, Roger, Joe,& Maggie Brown

Anonymous said...

Dear Korrine,
Prayers continue all over for you. On a walk today at Lake Chabot, my friend and I stopped and looked at the lake and talked of you as silent prayers ascended to Heaven on your behalf...you are one courageous young woman and inspire so many, as do your parents who take such awesome care of you! Hold tight to the Hand of the One who loves you most...sometimes that hand will look like your mom's hand, or your dad's, or your brother's, or some perfect stranger or nurse...Jesus is right there with you, working through those who surround you.
May His peace fill you each minute, Diane Shore

Anonymous said...

Tonight may the prayers of all who care for you and remember you throughout their day bring you peace and comfort. You and your family are in our hearts.
Love, the Jow family

Anonymous said...

Blessings, prayers, love sent your way. Hope, positive thoughts, victory.

Love you!

Anonymous said...

Hi Crogans,
you are still in our prayers, you are all so strong going through this. I know that God is giving you all incredible strength I can see it even though you might not always feel like it. I do think of you all quiet often and can't wait till the day that you can all be home and be healthy!
I just wanted you all to know that so many people love you all and you are not forgotten about even as time goes on!
Just let me know if there is anything that I can do, I will be there!
Hope and wish to see you all soon! Love, Elizabeth

Anonymous said...

Sending lots of good thoughts your way. I know you are going through a hard time and I would like to see if we can help. I sent an e-mail earlier this week. When you have a moment, please write me at nathan.singerATucsf.edu (Replace AT w/@). If it can help, I hope to rally our resources. Thanks, and we will be wishing you the best.

Anonymous said...

Matt and Dana,

I can't even imagine the stress of what you have been going through... with sugh high, then low moments. May God give you comfort and peace through this difficult time.

Hi Korrine! I'm so sorry that you've hit another bump in the road. I'm praying your body responds postively to the transfusions and that you're feeling much better soon. You are so brave and we all are here for you... sending you all our love, positive thoughts and energy, prayers and hope. LiveSTRONG beautiful one!!!

With hugs and love~
Cindy Brian

Denise K. said...

Our continued prayers are with you Croghan Family...You are never far from our thoughts and prayers, and I will be specifically praying for Korrine's fever to go down, for her body to accept the nourishing blood and platelets, and for her to continue to have a positive outlook during this journey. God Bless you all!

Anonymous said...

Our thoughts and prayers are with you during this next battle, your family's strength and love for one another is inspiring to everyone, you all take amazing care of one another. Korrine is so lucky to have such dedicated parents that catch any kind of change in her health so quickly. Stay strong!
Love - Nels, Nicole, Natalie and Kyle Larsen

Anonymous said...

As I prayed for you this morning I saw Our Abba smiling down on Korrine, the lives she is changing, the hope your family is bringing is truly amazing. I am in awe of all God is doing and will do. Please hold on Dana, Matt,and Sean; God is here! We love you and will continue to lift up your sweet one.
blessings
the Kellmans

Anonymous said...

I love the verse "Be Still, and Know that I am GOD"

Continually praying for all of you, for strength and healing and peace.....

Anonymous said...

I continue to pray for Korrine! She will get through this!!

Love, Gina (Tamika Riddiough's friend)

Anonymous said...

Keep fighting!! We continue to pray for you and your family. Also, we will continue to give platelets when we can!!!

Think about your everyday and to get better soon!!
The Xaviers