"Let no one ever come to you without leaving better and happier. Be the living expression of God's kindness; kindness in your face, kindness in your eyes, kindness in your smile, kindness in your warm greeting."
Mother Teresa

Smile

Cancer stripped her of everything including her life but it could not steal away God's LOVE, PEACE and the JOY that radiated through her. Korrine never stopped SMILING!
Korrine Lannie Croghan

Korrine Croghan was a vivacious 14-year-old girl who lived all of her life in Livermore, CA. She had a love for animals, sports, and most of all, family. Korrine was a straight “A” student while attending Mendenhall Middle School and was working hard in her first trimester at Granada High. She was a great friend to many and was everything that a brother, mother and father could ask for in a daughter. Korrine was the type of girl who would greet you with a wide smile and look into your eyes and truly would want to know how you were doing

Korrine & Cancer

On December 20th, 2007, Korrine was diagnosed with Choriocarcinoma with a germ cell element. Choriocarcinoma is a very rare type of cancer in teenage girls and inflicts less than 200 nationwide each year. Although the cancer started in her left ovary, the cancer had spread to her right ovary, lungs and liver. After the removal of a cantaloupe sized tumor in her left ovary on December 21st of 2007, Korrine, endured 10 months of intense chemotherapy designed for adult men.

During the course of her treatment, Korrine suffered many complications. In early April of 2007, her liver began to bleed. After staying at Kaiser Oakland for almost two weeks, Korrine was transfered to UCSF and spent a month in the intensive care unit. The doctors at UCSF Medical Center were finally able to stop her bleeding liver, but, not before it filled her abdomen with 5 liters of blood that had to be drained via a tube inserted into her stomach. On top of that, both of Korrines’ lungs collapsed while undergoing a CT scan that almost took her life. Because of that, 2 liters of fluid needed to be drained off of her lungs with the use of another drainage tube. Throughout her treatment Korrine needed numerous blood and platelet transfusions. She had nosebleeds that lasted an hour on several occasions. At one point, she had 18 intravenous tubes running through her body filled with anti-bacterials, anti-fungals, nutrition, painkillers and chemotherapy. Korrine miraculously made it through those tough days at UCSF and returned to Kaiser Hospital in Oakland. She was finally stable and was released to go home in late June. Just as things were starting to look up for her, she suffered septic shock in July that forced her to go back into intensive care at Kaiser in Santa Clara for 2 weeks.

Korrine returned home in late July and went through imaging scans to see if the cancer had disappeared. The scans always came back good, but not great. In an effort to kill and stop the remaining cancer cells, she underwent an emergency round of chemotherapy in early September. Unfortunately, it did kill the remaining cancer and her doctors had run out of options.

Korrine spent her last days at home with her family reading books and loving on her cats and dog. She passed away quietly, at home, on October 27th, 2008. Through it all, Korrine had a positive attitude and never gave up or complained. Many consider Korrine a hero.

Team KC

The Team KC website was originally started as a way to encourage, educate, raise awareness, and keep friends and family informed with accurate information on Korrine's treatment and progress. Family, classmates, friends, community members, and complete strangers rallied to support Korrine and her family through her fight against Choriocarcinoma. We were amazed by the amount of support we received, and it is now our desire to give back. In March, 2009, Team KC became an official nonprofit by joining forces with Kaiser Foundation Hospital. All monies raised by Team KC will directly benefit pediatric cancer patients and their families. All monetary contributions are tax deductible.

Our Mission: To help improve the quality of life of pediatric cancer patients and their families. We wish to supply children with fun activities, toys and anything else that will brighten and better their lives. Monies will also be used to help parents pay for bills and defray the costs of gas, food and lodging that go along with caring for a child with cancer.

Stay Positive, LIVESTRONG & Welcome to Team KC!

*This is the official Team KC website and the only website approved by the Croghan family. Please do not use content, images, or video from this site without permission. This is an effort to respect the family's privacy and ensure that all content is accurate and approved. Thank you for your cooperation.
A Note From Korrine (written after her 4th round of Chemo)...

Hello everyone! It's me, Korrine. I just wanted to take a
moment to thank each and every one of you for supporting me through emails,
visits, food, gifts, and most importantly, prayer. Without it, I probably
wouldn't have made it this far. Anyways, on a happier note, I am happy to
announce that I am feeling very good. This last round of chemo hit me pretty
hard, but I think that it is more exiting to end things with a big BANG! I will
try to start writing things for the blog now that my chemo therapy is over, but
until then, just know that I love every single one of you and I am always
thinking about my family, friends, and even the people who I've never met
before. Thanks for joining my battle and for making this experience "The
Experience of a Lifetime." LIVESTRONG! And stay positive.

Korrine Lannie Croghan

Friday, October 3, 2008

THE POWER OF PRAYER IS TRULY AMAZING!

Korrine is feeling so much better. Korrine's blood counts are looking really good and she did not need any transfusions this week. "PRAISE GOD" Korrine looks really good too! We haven't seen this much color in her face in so long. She is rather skinny and none of her close fit her, so she wanted to go to the Mall to get some "skinny jeans". Korrine bought some new clothes and she looks so cute. She is also back to her home studies with her teacher and she loves her studies.

This is amazing, truly answered prayer. THANK YOU JESUS, THANK YOU! I just posted last week that she was so ill and I know you all prayed for her and this week has been miraculous.

Korrine feels better and now her cat (Hero) that she loves and you have seen his pictures with her on the blog, has been in and out of the kitty hospital this week. (I wish they had kitty health insurance) Anyhow, her kitty is at the vet's hooked up to kitty I.V.'S. (Mini update to original post: Hero kitty is home and feeling better.) Korrine is happy to have her kitty hero home and they are both getting stronger every day.

Team K.C. has teamed up with "Mitchell Katz Winery" and the "Katz Family" is planning to help us in giving back to pediatric cancer patients and their families. More details to follow.

We have to enjoy the good days and be thankful for them and make the most of them because you have your good days and then you have some bad days. Korrine has had enough bad days and now we are looking forward to more good days ahead.

Continued prayer for complete healing of this cancer and that it will be gone forever.

We love you, keep praying, keep believing and never give up HOPE!

Stay Positive and Livestrong,
Dana and Matt Croghan

48 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is such excellent news! Korrine, you go girl! In the meantime, sending positive thoughts to your kitty.

Linda Morrison
aka Ceilidh's Mom
(and Mairi's Mom)

Anonymous said...

AWESOME NEWS! Thanks for sharing...we all appreciate the updates - have a GREAT weekend! Praying for Kitty, too!

Denise K. said...

What great news! HAVE FUN shopping at the mall Korrine! you deserve to shop, laugh with friends, and thoroughly LOVE life! I am praying that you have been through the worst, can put it behind you, and that this is the beginning to your complete and total healing! With love from Colorado, Denise and Family :-)

Lorri said...

Whoo-Hoo! I had a feeling there might be an update this afternoon and there is! The best news in a long time! Except for Kitty. Kitty IV's can't be fun...but at least his Mama knows how it feels! Praying he is home soon too! Love, Lorri

Sue said...

WHOOHOO!! So happy to read this post. Thank you! I will stay with you in prayer and never give up. Thank you for sharing your amazing family with us... you're a blessing beyond words.

Enjoy your weekend!
Love,
Sue

**Prayers for kitty too!

Anonymous said...

Dearest Croghans,
I cannot think of a better way for all of team KC to start the week-end than this latest update!!! Thank-you Korrine for being so darn tough and persistant in your fight to regain your life. Thank-you Matt, Dana and Sean for All that you are!! Thank-you to all of team KC for your continual prayers. We CAN truly make miracles happen.
Have a fabulous week-end and I know your kitty will be back home real soon!!julie gilmore

Anonymous said...

Croghans!
Whoo Hoo!!!! That is absolutely some of the BEST news we could have received! Nothing like a good shopping trip to bring a big smile to one's face! Korrine, we are so dang proud of everything you have accomplished, you ROCK. Good luck with the books and prayers are going out right now for Hero. Cats are really keen on smells...maybe if you can bring him a shirt with your scent, he will know you are there with him. We are all still with you girl!!!
Thank you Lord for your graceful hand with our Korrine. Have a great weekend all.

Anonymous said...

Oh that is so wonderful to hear that she is feeling better!! I am sure a trip to the mall was lots of fun, what teenage girl doesnt like to do that. Korrine you are so amazing that you still have the strength and will to study.. You continue to amaze me everyday!
I am so thankful that our prayers are being answered. We will continue to pray until she is completely healed.
I am so sorry to hear about your cat. I know it is just a cat but still a big part of your family. he is part of your lives and I hope he too gets better. We just had to put ours to sleep this past month and it was/is a terrible loss.
You guys have been through to much you dont need this too..

Continue your faith and strength Croghans. We are all behind you all the time.
Much love and God Bless you
Tamika Riddiough and family

Anonymous said...

Fantastic news! It is encouraging to hear that the Lord is answering our prayers and giving Korrine relief. All of you are in our hearts and we pray each of you always. Our deepest affection and love to each of you.

The Laytons

Anonymous said...

Korrine- Im so HAPPY for you! Have a great evening and tomorrow, day! I hope i can come visit you soon!

Love always! Your in my prayer!

Audrey Walke

Anonymous said...

Oh it is such a blessing to hear that Korrine is feeling better this week. And such a blessing that Hero is feeling better to.

Dana, just in case you would like to check it out, there really is health insurance for Kitties. www.petinsurance.com has all the info. It has been a wallet saver for us!

We can hardly wait to see some pics of the new skinny jeans!

Take care sweet family! Standing with you in rejoicing!

Blessings & hugs,

Arla and family

Anonymous said...

I am so happy to hear that Korrine is feelig better. I hope that your kitty feels better soon as you both need each other. You and kitty will continue to be in my prayers. I hope you had a blast shopping and you are rocking those skinny jeans. God bless you and your family.

Anonymous said...

I am so glad to see you are feeling better. Have fun shopping and speding good times with your family and friends, you deserve every minute of it!!!!!

Tracy Karter

Anonymous said...

Korrine:
YOU ROCK! YOU ROCK! YOU ROCK! YOU ROCK! YOU ARE AWESOME! YOU ARE AWESOME! We are SO happy to read this happy post! How fun, you got to go shopping and get some new clothes! I hope you had fun, you deserve only the best! We are praying for you and your family! LiveSTRONG!!!!

Anonymous said...

Great news, I am so happy that Korinne is able to relax and not feel lousy! I am sure no one has ever looked better in her skinny jeans! Take care & keep healing. I'll keep being positive and praying for Korinne and the Croghan family!

Kathy Scarbrough said...

Dear Croghans,
Well, praise God! What wonderful news to hear about Korrine. I am sure that she is beaming in her new "skinny" jeans and looks absolutely radiant. I pray for all of you everyday and look forward to seeing the smile on Korrine's face!
Love, Mrs. Scarbrough

Anonymous said...

AMEN and WOOHOO! I am so happy that Korrine is feeling better! I hope that you continue to feel good and keep getting stronger. I mentioned you at my Bible Study class and we all lifted you up in prayer. You deserve to feel better and to do some fun things for yourself...shopping is a great start!

I will keep praying for all of you and that this is the beginning of many happy times ahead!

Love,
Cindy Vance

Anonymous said...

Croghi that is great news! The girls' water polo team has been thinking of you and praying for you. Everybody misses you and cannot wait until you can come visit us at the pool. You are so incredibly strong to have overcome all that you have been through. You are inspirational.

I wore your Team KC shirt to school today and it is amazing how many people know you. You are a celebrity at Granada already. We love you! Miss you!
Tricia Rosa

Anonymous said...

Dear Korrine,
God is so good! I have been praying for you every day and I am so encouraged to see this answer to all our prayers!
Love in Jesus,
Denise Adams

Rosalyn said...

Go KC, Go KC, Go KC! Thank you so much for the update. Still from our knees to our faces, giving thanks and will continue! We love you!
The Esmeyer Family!

Anonymous said...

Yay Korrine!! I am so happy that you are feeling better and have not needed blood transfusions for some time! I hope to see you around RLCC in your cute new clothes!
God Bless You,
Mary Rosa

Anonymous said...

AMAZING! That is what you are Korrine! We will continue to pray for you and add prayers for Kitty!

Keep healing and know you are loved!

Anonymous said...

Hi Korrine! My family and I just finished our portion of a Relay for Life event. I want you to know that as we walked, my husband and I were thinking of you. The day started out gloomy and cold, but by the time we finished our walk the sun was shining bright on a beautiful day...I can't help but think of it as a representation of your cancer fight. Only sunny days from now on! Keep on living strong!

Anonymous said...

Korrine, Sean, Dana and Matt,

AWESOME update!!! It is wonderful to hear that this week has brought more strength, energy and shopping!

I love the idea of Mitchell Katz Winery supporting your efforts to help pediatric patients. How about a new TEAM KC shirt too? SlicArt was AMAZING to work with.

Once they cover their cost of the new shirt... the rest could be donated to the cause you are supporting.

Just a thought...

Have a WONDERFUL weekend!

hugs and much love, kathy t.

Anonymous said...

awesome to hear you are doing so great hun =). cant wait to see you again and hopefull i will have a wedding album together by then! hope your cat is doing well too. we are always thinking of you and have u in our prayers. take care
the eastmans

Anonymous said...

Korrine,

What great news! We are so glad that you are feeling better and enjoyed shopping at the mall. You are a truely amazing, strong, brave and beautiful person. We will pray for your complete healing.

Keep smiling and enjoying these good days with your family and may the good days keep on coming.

The Spence Family

Anonymous said...

What great news!! I love the pictures and it amazes me how that AWESOME smile is present no matter how you are feeling!!
Korrine, the light of Jesus certainly shines through you!!! Keep it up girl : ) and we will keep up the prayers.
Love,
Holly Owens

Anonymous said...

Korrine: So happy you are having some good days. Thank the Lord. Also nice that your cat, Hero, is doing better. Livestrong (you do!)and know you are in prayers, everywhere.

Anonymous said...

Korrine dear girl,
We have been out of town and what a wonderful blessing to come home to finding you up and shopping at the mall. God has truly blessed you and kitty too and we will continue to sends prayers to you and your family.
we love you,

Debby and Ian

Anonymous said...

You are all so amazing! My prayers are with you each and every day!

Sue said...

Happy Sunday Croghans!

Hope you had a fantastic weekend together. I love the pictures you've posted. Korrine is beautiful as always. What an inspiration!!

Thinking of you and keeping you all in my prayers.

Love,
Sue

Codel said...

Wonderful news. It brings tears to my eyes. You all sooo deserve those good days and many more. We'll continue with positive thoughts and prayers!
Love Jan and Codel

Anonymous said...

Hi Croghans! We're so happy, happy, happy! You are such a ray of sunshine to see! Thank you for the pics! We miss seeing you and hearing your happy voice that goes so well with your happy face! Hey, after you buy your 'skinny jeans' (Hey, I had a pair of those when I was six months old! =), try picking out a Halloween costume for Hero! They have some great costumes, although I'm thinking kitty may not agree.... Girl! You are so loved and missed! There are so many of your peeps out there waiting to have a victory party for and with you!

We keep you always in our hearts and prayers everyday, sweety, and you're most awesome family!!

Love and prayers to you!!!

The Gilberts

Anonymous said...

Happy Sunday Korrine! I hope your weekend was fantastic. I hope Hero is fully recovered and you got to enjoy some of the Fall weather!

Love to the Chrogan's from Team KC Sacrameto!

Anonymous said...

Praise God indeed! This is awesome news-we truly have an awesome God! So, so glad to hear that Korrine is feeling much better (shopping is always a good sign :)!)and that Hero is also. Thanks, Matt & Dana for taking the time to keep us updated-we know you are very busy! Sending love & hugs to the Croghan family...
The McNairs

Anonymous said...

Korrine-
We are so happy that you have gained some strength and are feeling better! As I was looking at the pictures you posted, I saw the sign at the giants game, and how cool!!! That looked really fun! I hope you had fun at the mall!! I also hope that your kitty is doing better, he is so lucky to have a friend like you! We are praying for you, Korrine. Oh, and I think your smile is AWESOME!!!!!! LIVESTRONG!!!!!!! Have a GREAT day!!!

Anonymous said...

We don't know you but have been following your story since the beginning. We have prayed and will continue to do so....This is such great news and Korrine is such a special, beautiful young lady. God Bless this amazing family !

Anonymous said...

My goodness Korrine you just keep becoming more beautiful as this journey goes on. Its amazing to me.. you are such a courageous young lady. God is so proud of you.. Bless you hang in there and take care. Can't wait to celebrate with you and your family.. Thanks for sharing your life and your pictures with all of us.. I will keep praying for you daily along with my family. God Bless you.
Sandi Kellman

Anonymous said...

LOVE the new photos! Korrine you look FANTASTIC! Hope all continues to go well - our prayers for you and your family remain constant. Hugs to all, The Thornton's

Lorri said...

Hi Korrine...check out my blog for my Race for the Cure photos. I wore my Team KC Korrine-Strong yellow band but didn't get a photo with it! :( Promise it walked with me! I saw a lady who survived her cancer for 32 years and she was 98 years old. They didn't even have good or safe treatment back then, so it was amazing. I hope one day it's you and me in those shoes! Love, Lorri

Anonymous said...

Hey Korrine,

It is so nice to hear you are feeling better. We check on you often and loved seeing all the great Giants pictures...how fun!!

Please know our thoughts and prayers for you will not stop.

The Bauer Family

Anonymous said...

Praising God for this great news! Korrine, you're beautiful!!!! Have fun with your studies and I am glad Hero kittyis home! Hugs

Anonymous said...

Korrine-
I was looking at that smile of yours in the pictures, and I just wanted you to know that you have a GREAT smile! Keep it up (well,I don't have to say that, you already do!). LiveSTRONG and know that God loves you. We are praying for you. Have a great week!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi there,

Yes, this is indeed, great great news. It was so nice to see the whole family sitting together at church. Thank you, Jesus, for your gifts you give us and especially the gift of hope and healing.

LuvUGuyz, Stephen and Rebecca

Sue said...

I'm so glad to hear that Hero is feeling better. I bet that makes you all feel better! I can't help but smile every day when I check in on you and see that beautiful smile in the pictures. I thought of you when I went to the Giants vs Dodgers game and your friend, Matt Cain, was pitching. :-)

Have a wonderful day and know that I'm sending much love your way!

Love,
Sue

Anonymous said...

Ahh! The infectious smile strikes again!! You are beautiful and I am so glad that you are feeling better. Let's hope that the worst is behind you and that there will be plenty more shopping and swimming in your future!!

Thank you Dana for the tip to more photos. I'm so glad that your kitty is feeling better as well.

Thanks for sharing,
Wendy Campbell

Anonymous said...

Dear Korrine and family,
Thank-you for the new photos. I especially loved the ones of you with your girlfriends. That is medicine we can all handle. Hope this week finds you stronger and feeling better each day! Hope your kitty is better.
julie gilmore

Anonymous said...

i will pray.