Over the past 10 months korrine has worked so hard to overcome this cancer. Korrine has battled with a smile on her face, grace and dignity. Always polite and kind, Always thankful and never ever complains. If she is in pain she will ask for pain medication but never complains or gets worked up. She goes deep within herself to use whatever tools needed to get her through a tough situation. She says the most profound and amazing things that speak volumes to us as adults. She is willining to suffer much pain and the stress that goes with having cancer if in some small way she is able to help someone else in some way. I don't know what that is, but she want's her suffering to be for the good of others. Korrine has taught us all to be more thankful for what we have, To love the ones we are with a little more and to not take one day for granted.
Korrine is so pure, honest, sweet and kind. Korrine is intellegent beyond her years intellectually and academically (Korrine was on principal honor roll all thru school) Korrine loves to read. We can't give her enough books to read. Korrine has always been very concerned about eating healthy, staying healthy, and she loves being athletic. Loves Running, Swimming, Water Polo and Softball, hiking and biking. Korrine is an amazing and gifted artist. If only you could see some of her work. Korrine has a love of Music and the Arts. Korrine has been what we as parent's call the best daughter ever. She has never caused us any grief. Always good, responsible and loving. Korrine has such enthusiasm for life , family and friends. Korrine is funny and witty and has great depth and knowledge she is wise beyond her years. Korrine has great Faith and she is a believer. At only 14 years old she has made this world a better place and she is to be respected for her grace, dignity, courage, strength and loving kindness. Korrine makes you feel loved, cared about and happy just by being in her presence. Korrine truly is an Angel on this earth.
I just want you to know a little about Korrine, what an amazing child she is and that she has given her all with courage, determination, a positive attitude and loving kindness to beat this cancer. Korrine has integrity of heart and character. Korrine is to be respected and admired for who she is and how she has dealt with this cancer.
Continued prayer for Korrine to be at peace/no suffering and free of pain in this most difficult time. We will care for Korrine at home. Pray for Matt, Sean and I that we will all be able to do the best we can for Korrine at this time. Pray for Sean as he loves his big sister. We have seen many miracles along the way. Let's continue praying for complete healing and the miracle of life.
I'm interested in knowing what Korrine has meant to you and telling us about the Korrine you have known.
Korrine represents Everything that is PURE AND GOOD in this world.
Stay Positive and LiveSTRONG
Dana and Matt Croghan
"Let no one ever come to you without leaving better and happier. Be the living expression of God's kindness; kindness in your face, kindness in your eyes, kindness in your smile, kindness in your warm greeting."
Mother Teresa
Mother Teresa
Smile
Cancer stripped her of everything including her life but it could not steal away God's LOVE, PEACE and the JOY that radiated through her. Korrine never stopped SMILING!
Korrine Lannie Croghan
Korrine Croghan was a vivacious 14-year-old girl who lived all of her life in Livermore, CA. She had a love for animals, sports, and most of all, family. Korrine was a straight “A” student while attending Mendenhall Middle School and was working hard in her first trimester at Granada High. She was a great friend to many and was everything that a brother, mother and father could ask for in a daughter. Korrine was the type of girl who would greet you with a wide smile and look into your eyes and truly would want to know how you were doing
Korrine & Cancer
On December 20th, 2007, Korrine was diagnosed with Choriocarcinoma with a germ cell element. Choriocarcinoma is a very rare type of cancer in teenage girls and inflicts less than 200 nationwide each year. Although the cancer started in her left ovary, the cancer had spread to her right ovary, lungs and liver. After the removal of a cantaloupe sized tumor in her left ovary on December 21st of 2007, Korrine, endured 10 months of intense chemotherapy designed for adult men.
During the course of her treatment, Korrine suffered many complications. In early April of 2007, her liver began to bleed. After staying at Kaiser Oakland for almost two weeks, Korrine was transfered to UCSF and spent a month in the intensive care unit. The doctors at UCSF Medical Center were finally able to stop her bleeding liver, but, not before it filled her abdomen with 5 liters of blood that had to be drained via a tube inserted into her stomach. On top of that, both of Korrines’ lungs collapsed while undergoing a CT scan that almost took her life. Because of that, 2 liters of fluid needed to be drained off of her lungs with the use of another drainage tube. Throughout her treatment Korrine needed numerous blood and platelet transfusions. She had nosebleeds that lasted an hour on several occasions. At one point, she had 18 intravenous tubes running through her body filled with anti-bacterials, anti-fungals, nutrition, painkillers and chemotherapy. Korrine miraculously made it through those tough days at UCSF and returned to Kaiser Hospital in Oakland. She was finally stable and was released to go home in late June. Just as things were starting to look up for her, she suffered septic shock in July that forced her to go back into intensive care at Kaiser in Santa Clara for 2 weeks.
Korrine returned home in late July and went through imaging scans to see if the cancer had disappeared. The scans always came back good, but not great. In an effort to kill and stop the remaining cancer cells, she underwent an emergency round of chemotherapy in early September. Unfortunately, it did kill the remaining cancer and her doctors had run out of options.
Korrine spent her last days at home with her family reading books and loving on her cats and dog. She passed away quietly, at home, on October 27th, 2008. Through it all, Korrine had a positive attitude and never gave up or complained. Many consider Korrine a hero.
Team KC
The Team KC website was originally started as a way to encourage, educate, raise awareness, and keep friends and family informed with accurate information on Korrine's treatment and progress. Family, classmates, friends, community members, and complete strangers rallied to support Korrine and her family through her fight against Choriocarcinoma. We were amazed by the amount of support we received, and it is now our desire to give back. In March, 2009, Team KC became an official nonprofit by joining forces with Kaiser Foundation Hospital. All monies raised by Team KC will directly benefit pediatric cancer patients and their families. All monetary contributions are tax deductible.
Our Mission: To help improve the quality of life of pediatric cancer patients and their families. We wish to supply children with fun activities, toys and anything else that will brighten and better their lives. Monies will also be used to help parents pay for bills and defray the costs of gas, food and lodging that go along with caring for a child with cancer.
Stay Positive, LIVESTRONG & Welcome to Team KC!
*This is the official Team KC website and the only website approved by the Croghan family. Please do not use content, images, or video from this site without permission. This is an effort to respect the family's privacy and ensure that all content is accurate and approved. Thank you for your cooperation.
Korrine Croghan was a vivacious 14-year-old girl who lived all of her life in Livermore, CA. She had a love for animals, sports, and most of all, family. Korrine was a straight “A” student while attending Mendenhall Middle School and was working hard in her first trimester at Granada High. She was a great friend to many and was everything that a brother, mother and father could ask for in a daughter. Korrine was the type of girl who would greet you with a wide smile and look into your eyes and truly would want to know how you were doing
Korrine & Cancer
On December 20th, 2007, Korrine was diagnosed with Choriocarcinoma with a germ cell element. Choriocarcinoma is a very rare type of cancer in teenage girls and inflicts less than 200 nationwide each year. Although the cancer started in her left ovary, the cancer had spread to her right ovary, lungs and liver. After the removal of a cantaloupe sized tumor in her left ovary on December 21st of 2007, Korrine, endured 10 months of intense chemotherapy designed for adult men.
During the course of her treatment, Korrine suffered many complications. In early April of 2007, her liver began to bleed. After staying at Kaiser Oakland for almost two weeks, Korrine was transfered to UCSF and spent a month in the intensive care unit. The doctors at UCSF Medical Center were finally able to stop her bleeding liver, but, not before it filled her abdomen with 5 liters of blood that had to be drained via a tube inserted into her stomach. On top of that, both of Korrines’ lungs collapsed while undergoing a CT scan that almost took her life. Because of that, 2 liters of fluid needed to be drained off of her lungs with the use of another drainage tube. Throughout her treatment Korrine needed numerous blood and platelet transfusions. She had nosebleeds that lasted an hour on several occasions. At one point, she had 18 intravenous tubes running through her body filled with anti-bacterials, anti-fungals, nutrition, painkillers and chemotherapy. Korrine miraculously made it through those tough days at UCSF and returned to Kaiser Hospital in Oakland. She was finally stable and was released to go home in late June. Just as things were starting to look up for her, she suffered septic shock in July that forced her to go back into intensive care at Kaiser in Santa Clara for 2 weeks.
Korrine returned home in late July and went through imaging scans to see if the cancer had disappeared. The scans always came back good, but not great. In an effort to kill and stop the remaining cancer cells, she underwent an emergency round of chemotherapy in early September. Unfortunately, it did kill the remaining cancer and her doctors had run out of options.
Korrine spent her last days at home with her family reading books and loving on her cats and dog. She passed away quietly, at home, on October 27th, 2008. Through it all, Korrine had a positive attitude and never gave up or complained. Many consider Korrine a hero.
Team KC
The Team KC website was originally started as a way to encourage, educate, raise awareness, and keep friends and family informed with accurate information on Korrine's treatment and progress. Family, classmates, friends, community members, and complete strangers rallied to support Korrine and her family through her fight against Choriocarcinoma. We were amazed by the amount of support we received, and it is now our desire to give back. In March, 2009, Team KC became an official nonprofit by joining forces with Kaiser Foundation Hospital. All monies raised by Team KC will directly benefit pediatric cancer patients and their families. All monetary contributions are tax deductible.
Our Mission: To help improve the quality of life of pediatric cancer patients and their families. We wish to supply children with fun activities, toys and anything else that will brighten and better their lives. Monies will also be used to help parents pay for bills and defray the costs of gas, food and lodging that go along with caring for a child with cancer.
Stay Positive, LIVESTRONG & Welcome to Team KC!
*This is the official Team KC website and the only website approved by the Croghan family. Please do not use content, images, or video from this site without permission. This is an effort to respect the family's privacy and ensure that all content is accurate and approved. Thank you for your cooperation.
A Note From Korrine (written after her 4th round of Chemo)...
Hello everyone! It's me, Korrine. I just wanted to take a
moment to thank each and every one of you for supporting me through emails,
visits, food, gifts, and most importantly, prayer. Without it, I probably
wouldn't have made it this far. Anyways, on a happier note, I am happy to
announce that I am feeling very good. This last round of chemo hit me pretty
hard, but I think that it is more exiting to end things with a big BANG! I will
try to start writing things for the blog now that my chemo therapy is over, but
until then, just know that I love every single one of you and I am always
thinking about my family, friends, and even the people who I've never met
before. Thanks for joining my battle and for making this experience "The
Experience of a Lifetime." LIVESTRONG! And stay positive.
Korrine Lannie Croghan
Hello everyone! It's me, Korrine. I just wanted to take a
moment to thank each and every one of you for supporting me through emails,
visits, food, gifts, and most importantly, prayer. Without it, I probably
wouldn't have made it this far. Anyways, on a happier note, I am happy to
announce that I am feeling very good. This last round of chemo hit me pretty
hard, but I think that it is more exiting to end things with a big BANG! I will
try to start writing things for the blog now that my chemo therapy is over, but
until then, just know that I love every single one of you and I am always
thinking about my family, friends, and even the people who I've never met
before. Thanks for joining my battle and for making this experience "The
Experience of a Lifetime." LIVESTRONG! And stay positive.
Korrine Lannie Croghan
Monday, October 20, 2008
Let me tell you just a little bit about Korrine.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
141 comments:
Oh, wow! Where to begin! Immediately my thoughts of Korrine, and what struck me when I first saw her, was just how she is able to be so genuinely kind with an amazing ability to draw everyone in around group settings. She is,what I like to call, a clique-breaker. Her sweetness radiates to everyone, and not limited to any one group of people. She has this ability to warmly engage with everyone of all ages that many of us could really learn from. Okay, her smile, do I really need to elaborate here? =) Her smile just represents her heart -- beautiful! She lights up an entire community!
Oh, the great tips you gave to JoeJoe about waterpolo are right on! He takes in everything you say! He even took up jogging to improve his speed at your suggestion! Do you think you could give him some advice on the importance of doing laundry?!
I'd be most grateful....=)
Korrine, you are a treasure from God, dearly loved, dearly appreciated and looked upon as a precious example of genuine humanity and goodness. You just keep showin' all of us how it's done!
We love you Korrine Croghan!
Hugs, love and prayers,
The Gilberts
Korrine, The first time we met was on the softball field the BLACK BULL DOGS. She was always very funny and ALWAYS SMILING. I remember not doing so well in the field but she came up to me and said good job, you really tried hard. I loved being on that team. Then we got to hear her sing the American anthem and my mom said wow that little girl can sing and what a lot of courage to get up there to sing, I wish I could do that. Looking at back at the pictures that my mom took she hasn't changed at all. She still is smiling and you can tell she just loves life. Please tell her for me that she has inspired me to become the best person I can be and not to be afraid to try new things. I pray for her daily and even though I haven't seen or talked to her in years I still consider her a friend. The LORD has done GREAT things through her, to show himself to a world that is so filled with darkness. She has been the light in this dark world showing believers and non believers there is a God that we should trust and give thanks for all things, happy and through difficult times. We are honored to say we know her and her family. Love in Christ, Morgan Gooby and The Gooby Clan.
I have never met Korrine, but I love her with all my heart! May the God of peace and comfort shelter her and all of you mightily today.
I have never physically met Korrine but was blessed to be able to verbally meet her thru a forwarded email. Korrine is a child of God and a very brave one. She is an angel that has brought so many people closer to God thru her consistent faith. She is strong, a fighter, a person of strong determination. She is full of love and due to her kindness is loved by all that know her. She is intelligent and does not let her illness slow her love of learning. She is an inspiration to all of us!
Prayers are sent for each of you!
Your friends along the lakeshore
Dear Dana and Matt,
Although I have never met your beautiful daughter, I can tell you what she has show me through her incredible journey that we have been able to follow as blog readers. Korrine has shown me what it looks like to battle cancer day to day with grace and dignity. From reading your blog entries on her spirit and strength, she has shown me what it looks like to have unwaivering faith and continued hope in the future. She has shown me through her day to day challenges, that joy can be found in the simplest things, and in the most profound.
Korrine, and your entire family, have paved the way to show God's love to all of us who may one day walk down a cancer journey of our own. Your strength, gives us strength, and I thank you. I pray today for complete pain relief, and I pray for peace for you all.
With Much Respect,
Denise Kofford
I only know Korrine through this blog, but she has touched my life. Because of her, I hug my children more often, I appreciate each day with them so much more, and I love more deeply.
Thank you Korrine for giving me a little perspective.
Last year when Sean was in 2nd grade, we were having a tough year with an absent teacher and sub after sub. Dana and I would often work in the classroom on the same days and I was so impressed when Korrine would come over from Mendenhall and jump right in to help out that class. You couldn't ask for a more perfect role model for those 7 year olds! I was struck by this 13-year-old girl who didn't have that attitude that so many of us have when we are 13! It was so refreshing to see this beautiful young lady walking the halls at Smith to pick-up her little brother. Wendy said it earlier too. She has a smile on her face when she asks how you are, she really means it. This is a rare quality, but one we can all learn from. You are amazing Korrine and you have an amazing family who loves you. We are praying for you today and everyday.
Jenn Muzzall
Korrine...I remember when I was welcomed into your hospital room - I was a stranger trespassing on Holy Ground. What did I see when I walked in? A beautiful bald girl sitting up in bed, smiling, and reading her bible.
That sums it up best. Certainly, you are well wise beyond your years and I admire you greatly. With tons of love to you, Lorri
Korrine
You are such an insperation to many myself included. My family and I are continuing to pray for you and your family. WE are praying for your healing! we are paying for comfort for you and your family and unity. That you are growing together as a family. WE love you
Kristi
Korrine, we've never officially met but I know your mom and my girls know Sean. You are such an inspiration to everyone. I read your blog on a daily basis and have enjoyed getting to know you thru your photos and postings, you have the most incredible, welcoming smile. My favorite photo is the one of you when you were little (flower girl) at the top of the page. You look like a Precious Moments doll.
The power of prayer is so amazing and you have such a great following of those who pray for you. Continue to keep up your faith - you will beat this. We will continue to pray for no more pain and complete healing. Look at how far you have come already. Prayers and hugs to the whole family. You couldn't have asked for a better family to support you. I hope my girls grow up to have the same wonderful attitude that you have. What a treasure and inspiration you are to your family and everyone. Kim Faulkner
Dear Korrine,
Though I have never met you, through this blog I feel like I have always known you. You have renewed my faith and reminded me of the preciousness of life. You have shown me to take one day, one second, at a time. To love always and keep those you love close to your heart. I pray for you to be released from your pain and I thank you for generously sharing your courageous battle with us. You have made the world a better place.
CELEBRATION!!!!
Your pureness, beauty, and strengh have poured all over my heart. You have taught me so much about love and time and what is really important in life. My family will benefit from the lessons that I have learned.
With just a smile from Korrine, the whole world can interpret love beaming from within. Your need to help others with the horrible beast of cancer while you are still suffering pain is amazing. I'll do everything I can, in order to help a child conquer that battle.
I can't say enough about how amazing you are Korrine. I want you to know that I thought you were amazing before you had cancer!! The cancer only helped to prove that and let everyone out there become touched by this wonderful angel given to us from God.
Matt, Dana and Sean, You have been seriously blessed by God to have such a beautiful child fill your lives. We love who she is and who you are and together you have created something very special.
Thank you for being you and sharing yourselves with us!
Love and prayers to you,
Wendy Campbell
Korrine is such an amazing person. Since the moment I met Korrine, her inner light came shining through. She has such a warm, genuine and caring spirit! It is not often that a 13 year old asks you how you are doing and GENUINELY wants to know how you are. She asks for one simple reason - she truly cares about you!
Korrine has had a huge impact on so many people, but has especially touched my son, Ryan. He LOVES, LOVES, LOVES her and talks about and asks about her EVERYDAY.
We love you so much Korrine!!!
{{{{{{BIG HUG}}}}}}
Cristi, Kevin, Jason & Ryan
I haven't met Korrine, or you Dana, but I have met Matt. When this all began it was unbelievable to me that such a wonderful guy like Matt could have this happen. I have followed your Blogs and my heart has ached for you all - in all these months you have demonstrated such grace. Korrine is to be admired for her courage and her determination to beat this thing. She has brought a community togetehr and helped us all to realize what is truly important - each other. You are in my thoughts and I pray that Korrine will be pain free. Take good care,
Marilyn Lawrence
Korrine, I first met you when Sean and Sebastian were in 1st grade together. I was always happy to talk with you because you were always smiling and upbeat. Like Jenn said, you never treated anyone with teenager sassiness.
Even though Sean and my son had different teachers in 2nd grade, you would still smile when you saw me and would make small talk in the halls as we waited for school to get out.
I never knew the strength you had underneath all the smiles! I think of you often and continue to pray for you and your family.
With love and respect,
April & family
Korrine,
You are one of a kind! Very rare, and we are all so blessed to know you. You make all of us better people through your courage, joy, determination and faith.
We love and admire you Korrine!
Love & lots of Prayers
Jane Ackley & Family
Dear Dana,
You asked us to write about what Korrine means to us. Well, first of all, I have to say I don’t really know Korrine all that well, but what I do know about her I learned from talking to her after school in the halls at Smith School. She would walk over from Mendenhall and wait outside of Sean’s class – Carli was in Sean’s class that year – Mrs. Framstead (almost 3 years ago!) Korrine ALWAYS had a smile on her face and ALWAYS said hello. We would chat about school and water polo and I just remember thinking that she was so mature for her age and so special. You talk about how special Korrine is, and she truly is. I remember telling you one time that there was something about Korrine, something about how she was, that she was special. I’ve only met one other child that had that same quality – I can’t describe it exactly, except you just know they are different from the others. She has a self assured confidence, something that comes from within. Maybe it’s God-confidence? Year after year, I watched Korrine come to Smith and she grew up, taller – definitely, and yet she was still the same friendly, smiley Korrine. ALWAYS smiling and saying “Hi, how are you?” in her sweet voice. I think in the dictionary of life next to the word “Korrine”, it should say “SMILEY”.
Because of this cancer, Korrine has touched many, many lives across the country. I just can’t even imagine how many lives Korrine has touched. All of you are so courageous to share your suffering and triumphs with so many.
Praying for you daily – less suffering and more triumphs!! Korrine=Smiley
Gail Henderson
Truly amazing is what I think of when I think of Korrine.....A very special child of God!!! I don't know any of you personally. It was through a friend of a friend I learned about you and this blog. I have been faithfully praying and recruiting other prayer warriors to do the same since the beginning. Multiple times a day you come to mind and I instantly ask God for healing, peace and strength for you all. I am a mother of two, my heart has been aching. I can't imagine what it is to be in your shoes. You have touched my life through this blog, for that I thank you. Korrine you are an inspiration to so many. I continue to lift you up in prayer. Continuing to pray for complete healing...IN HIS NAME!!!
Though I do not know Korrine personally, she represents everything that is right in the world. I can look at her beautiful face and I just feel better! She is a shining light in the dark. She is beauty and grace and that smile...especially the rascally one, well that just says it all. I too believe in miracles and I truly believe Korrine is here to show us all how to live as loving kind human beings. I believe with my whole heart. julie gilmore
Korinne and family...thank you for opening up your hearts and letting us peek into what has to be the most difficult time of your lives. I first met Korrine thru Dana at May Nissan pool and then at Robertson Pool via water exercise. You were never without a smile. never. I would sometimes come early to class and watch the water polo practice. I remember thinking how much stamina, endourance and strength you all must have to play that game. Not even after playing for hours did you ever get out without a smile on your face, or a nice word for a fellow player. Hearing from your mom how you are living, breathing and dealing with cancer, I can only think God must have a plan in mind. Perhaps its what's in store for you later in life, such as helping and guiding others with cancer or even writing a book on your experiences. I know you will beat this, and you will continue to amaze and teach others. All I can say is thankyou.
God Bless you sweetie..
Oh where to begin. We first met Korrine when she was just a toddler. She had the SAME smile then. Our Mary is about a year and a half older than Korrine and we would go over to Matt and Dana's and Mary liked to "take care" of Korrine! We were just talking this morning about Mary and Korrine watching Cinderella while Matt, Dana, Jack and I chatted after dinner. She was telling me how "cute" Korrine was. She would snuggle up next to her and giggle at the little animals making Cinderella's dress. Korrine is always a spot of light in your day! Mary said that at camp (it was Mary's last year of Centrikid and Korrine's first) even though she was a little scared about being away and she kept getting those annoying nosebleeds, she was brave and would smile even through her tears. Dana knows her baby girl well. She describes her eloquently! Korrine has never had a problem expressing herself! Never at a loss for words. And one of those kids that will make you stop and really think when she talks. Warm, loving, intelligent, precious. Those are but a few of the words that come to mind when I think of Korrine.
Korrine's determination and grace with which she is handling this enemy, cancer has touched more lives than you all can EVEN begin to imagine. I give the blog site out on a regular basis. It never fails that I'll get a call after referring someone to the site that they have completely changed their thinking on something that may have been an issue for them. Korrine, you have made a difference and continue to do so on a moment by moment basis!
The first blog on this post says "she lights up an entire community". It goes even further! Korrine lights up an entire world.
K-INDNESS
O-NLY OPTIMISTIC
R-EFRESHING
R-EMARKABLE
I-LLUMINATING
N-ATURALLY NOBLE
E-NCHANTING
Although I have never met you personally, Korrine, I remember the joy you brought into this world when you were born. I was working with your father at the time. Well, you have continued to spread joy throughout your life. I follow your blog often, and I feel I have been given the gift of knowing you in a way that I don't even know some of my own friends. Your courage and faith is so amazing, and your smile is so beautiful. Thank you for showing us how to be such a beautiful human being. You truly are an Angel.
Matt, Dana, and Sean, you are an incredible family, and the blog is such an incredible journal of a very difficult time in your lives. Your descriptive writing certainly seems to capture the daily ups and downs of this horrible disease. Your openness and clarity of expression shows such courage and faith, and the ability to be joyful for even the smallest of miracles. You have been such an inspiration to me. I will continue to pray for Korrine and for your family.
Vivian Switzer
As a neighbor who moved away about 10 years ago, I'd like to share with you how much fun we had with Korrine and Dana when we lived across the street.
Dana and I first met when our babies, Korrine and Sam, were newborns. Even as a tiny baby, Korrine was always on the move -- Dana and I would take lots of walks with the kids in strollers and Korrine was always getting turned-around in the stroller, scootching down to the bottom and turning on her side. She wanted to be a part of the action! As they got a little older, we'd sit in the shade in the front yard and let the kids play in the wading pool, or play on the jungle gym the Croghan's backyard.
Korrine and Sam were such buddies, and Korrine was always quick with a smile and giggle. The two things that pop into my head whenever I think of Korrine are the picture of her running down the street giggling -- with Dana running to catch her, and Korrine with her "littly" blanket, whenever she was sleepy and cuddly.
It is always hard to move to a new place, but it was especially difficult to leave such wonderful friends behind. Korrine and Sam were only 4 when we left Livermore. Dana and I had such fun watching them play together, and I still miss not being able to visit with her from across the street.
Your family is so special. I admire your strength and love and courage. I am so happy to know more of Korrine as a young lady through this blog, and am not at all surprised to see what a beautiful person she has become. Thank you for sharing with us. Know that we pray for you every day. Love,
Candy, Mark, Sam and Molly Johnson
There are so many wonderful things about Korrine, it's hard to find enough space to say them in. She sees good in everyone, we have never heard her say anything negative about anyone or anything. Even when you ask her how she is feeling, she puts a positive spin on it. How many people can do that when they are not feeling well? She is beautiful inside and out, and she draws people to her because of her kindness. You can see the goodness in her eyes and smile, and she lights up the room when she enters. When my daughter played water polo with her, and they were getting beat up by bigger players, she just would jump back into the water and do her best to win. She is so determined, you can see that fighting spirit in her with the cancer.
Korrine, keep fighting the good fight, as Team KC stands behind you to help you win this battle. We are legions strong and proud to be on your side.
The Gary family
Dearest Korrine,
We have not had the pleasure to meet (and I see clearly that there are so many others here rooting for you that have not met you!) but I want you to know that for the very first time in my life I loved a person that I've never met! You and your family are amazing. It is difficult to imagine how many hundreds, quite possibly thousands of people whose lives you have touched as you have shared your cancer journey. You are a beautiful girl with an incredible smile. You are truly an inspiration to both young and old that we learn from you to never give up, to believe in God and to embrace life and all that it brings - even if it's a nurse with a needle. You are quite a little warrior. I'm sure I speak for many when I say that if I could I would gladly take your pain for a day or two or ten. You have endured far more than such a sweet young girl should have to. My family and I will continue to pray for you that you will be free of pain and completely healed. May the sunshine smile back down on you today and every day. God Bless You!
Love, Julie Metz & Family
Let me tell you just a little bit about the whole Croghan family. "YOU ROCK!"
With lots of love,
The Campbell Family
Korrine, to me, is love. Pure, real, unconditional love. She would come into Sean's class last year (when I was subbing) with her trademark contagious smile on her face and would help out, doing anything that was asked of her. There were times we'd get to chat for a minute and she is the most sincere young lady. She truly cares.
Through this horrible disease I have seen a determined young lady whose faith enables her to honestly LIVE through anything. Korrine is a fighter. She has constantly reminded me of what is important in life... God, family, friends and love.
CutiePie~ you are a beautiful gift to all of us and I want to thank you for all you have taught us, reminded us of, and given us.
Dana, Matt and Sean~ thank you for sharing your life and love with us.
I will be forever grateful and you will all be forever in my heart.
With love and prayers,
Sue
Yes, Korrine is a special gift to all of us who know and love her!
She graced this world with a smile on April 18th, 1994, and was born on her cousin Trevor's 16th birthday. Trevor & Korrine have had a special bond ever since. I remember watching Korrine one day before she could even walk. Her mom & Dad went for a walk on Thanksgiving Day after a wonderful meal at Papa Croghan's house.
Korrine was only 7 mos. old at the time. She displayed her athletic ability early and before I knew it she was on top of the counter and on top of the frig :) I realized then that she was someone to watch very closely.
Korrine you bring so much joy and love into our family! Every day is a beautiful day and your smile lights up the world! Yes, you a gift to all of us!
Thank you for teaching us to be still and appreciate life and all that a day can brings. Today is 10 mos. to the day that you were diagnosed with cancer. What a shock to all of us! You had surger on Dec. 21st and have endured 10 rounds of chemo since then. 75 straight days in the hospital, three weeks in the ICU at UCSF. So much more than any of us could ever imagine, and you still continue to amaze us.
Thank you Korrine for showing us how to live, one day at a time faithfully & fully! Thank you for all the fun days, holidays and family events that we shared and we cherish with you. We are looking forward to many more.
I will never forget the day we went out to lunch at the"Lemon Grass" restaurant in Livermore about a month ago. You love Thai Food. I marveled as you talked about how grown up Sean was getting and how proud you are of him. You expressed how very much you love your family and your dog Major & kitties, Hero & Mother. I look forward to doing that again! You talked about hoe much you love music at were enjoy the CD your friends made for you.
You have the strongest spirit of anyone we know. You have accepted this season of life with grace & a peace that surpasses all of our understanding. I love being your Auntie and want you to know that I have read every message on your blog over the past 10 mos. And you have so many wonderful friends. I pray for you every day even in the middle of the night!
Thank you sweet Korrine for showing us how to really live! Keep fighting the good fight! Your family & Team KC are here for you standing in the gap, praying faithfully!
We love you so much Korrine! Auntie Denise, Uncle Mark, Cousins Tristen, Trevor, Nicole, Troy, Jen, Kamden
Korrine,
I do not know you personally,but I have been reading your site and looking for new news everyday. I saw you at the livermore/granada water polo match, and i was so happy that i finally got to see you in person. I just wanted to let you know that seeing you there was like seeing a celebrity. I think that you even said that you felt like a celebrity!(I overheard you talking) I really wanted to go up to you and talk, but I'm kinda shy. I am a year younger than you and i just want to let you know that i look up to you and you are always in my thoughts. Whenever i feel sick i think about you and stop complaining. You are caring,nice,helpful,and courageous. You never give upi and you never stop battling your cancer. don,t give up. i assure you that you WILL get through this because I am praying for you and so are many others
never give up<3
I saw you, Korrine, for the first time at the Kooley-Katz toy store in downtown Livermore approximately a few weeks before Christmas last year. Before that I had never seen you, but had known your mom from church.
When I saw you, you were going to the counter to put a very large thick book "on hold" called Tamar. I was astonished later to find the owner say that Tamar was not a book on Tamar from the Bible, but was on a battle that took place. I couldn't believe a young girl would be interested in reading a book that appeared to be so mature than what I thought she might be reading. I didn't even know what Tamar was about!!
Anyhow, as I learned of your illness and have shared this journey of battling cancer through prayer, heartache, celebration, love, and inspiration, I am continually AMAZED at your grace, strength, purity, endurance, and love that you show. You're more worried about your family than you are of your own circumstances. You are so selfless! I can't even imagine the things that you've endured, Korrine. You are amazing!
You are an inspiration to each of us who have such petty things happen in our lives and you require us to re-evaluate ourselves, our thoughts, feelings, perspectives, and the way we choose to lead our own lives. You help us to cherish each moment knowing that it is by grace that we have this moment and this day. You show us how to be courageous in the midst of such atrocity. You strengthen our faith as we call upon our Lord to bring healing. We don't understand why a beautiful innocent girl would have to go through something like this. I am a mother of two boys and can't even imagine how you have faced each day whether it brought transfusions, surgeries, chemo, shots, nausea, pain, etc.
We know the Lord is good and that He works ALL things together for good for those who are called according to His purpose (Rom 8:28). We know that our suffering is not in vain - that he asks us to rejoice in our trials. You are a living example of what it means to live God's Word and not just read it.
We will continue to pray without ceasing. You are a miraculous young woman and should be so proud of the person you have become. Thank you for allowing us to share this journey and being vulnerable to those that know you and to those who have not yet met you personally.
Stay strong and know that you, and your family, are being lifted up to the Heavenly Throne of our Lord Jesus Christ and we will continue to do so.
With respect and a deep love for you and your family,
On a final note, we went to Disneyland this past week for the first time. We saw the fireworks display on Thurs. night and I know the Lord brought you to my mind while I was there. I so wanted you to be able to experience the joy and exhilaration that they try to bring about through that experience. I prayed and thought of you in that moment. God bless you.
The Laytons (Tara, Rob, Ryan & Connor)
Korrine,
I only know you through your Mom and through this blog, but I know that you are a shinning light.
Your ability to bring people together at the hardest time in your life is nothing short of amazing. Your faith, courage and strength are inspiring. I know people who live in other states and countries who have been so touched by you and your family.
I know that because of your example I want to be a better wife, mother, sister and daughter.
I pray that your light continue to shine and that you and your family have continued strength and much peace.
Love, Jean Opipari
I, too, only "know" your family through this blog.
Although I have never met Korrine, it is obvious that she has made a permanent impression on the hearts of anyone who has ever stopped here to read about her journey.
Her smile alone says so much about her spirit. The manner in which Korrine has fought this battle has shown what grace and dignity truly are.
Matt & Dana, I have walked in shoes almost identical to yours.
I wish you all just as much peace as the incredible amount of love that clearly surrounds you already.
I don't know you personally Korrine. I found your blog via Lorri Steer. But I think your mom or dad ( whoever wrote this post )
Put into words what I have learned from you ( without ever having met you! ) and that is..I have learned to be more thankful for what I have, to love the ones I am with a little more and not to take one day for granted. I believe that God gives some of His children a broad set of gifts..because He is all knowing and He knows they will use those gifts to encourage and help others while bringing Glory to Him..I know Lorri..she is one of those especially gifted people..I have come to believe, through reading this blog..that you are too!!
Blessings,
Susie Wilkens
I, too, only "know" your family through this blog.
Although I have never met Korrine, it is obvious that she has made a permanent impression on the hearts of anyone who has ever stopped here to read about her journey.
Her smile alone says so much about her spirit. The manner in which Korrine has fought this battle has shown what grace and dignity truly are.
Matt & Dana, I have walked in shoes almost identical to yours.
I wish you all just as much peace as the incredible amount of love that clearly surrounds you already.
Korrine,
You are iconic lovely. Your mom said it so well that you represent all that is lovely and pure. Like God having chosen Mary for her special mission; an absolute honor to serve our King but one that would at times, be nearly unbearable. I love what your auntie wrote too, "you are one to watch". Whether swimming your heart out or silently serving God you are the girl to watch. Thank you for allowing so many of us a birds eye view of you. Thank you for remeinding us to be vulnerable in front of each other and boldly ask for help and prayers and boldly give thanks and praise. Thank you for reminding me of what a treasure my mom and dad are and how special my brothers and sister are. Outside of God, only our siblings can possibly understand and remember all the joys and pains of our growing up years. You have piqued the interest of so many Korrine. Even those that don't call out to our God...have certainly called out to Him for you. He isn't done Korrine. You aren't either. Although you are only 14, your legacy is HUGE and GLOBAL with ETERNAL effects. Thank you for blessing me. If I don't get to hug you Sunday, I'll hug you for sure, one day.
I love you-
Rosalyn
WOW! Although I have not had the pleasure to meet Korrine in person, through this blog and people who do know her I am astounded at her profound impact on others and the grace in which she lives. Thank you for sharing your precious daughter and her journey. My prayers and love are with you always.
Keep the faith,
Kristin Pascual
Dear Croghans,
I have known you all for 20 plus year. . Each and everyone of you has been special to me. I remember Korrine learning to walk and become her own little special person. Her smile that lights up a room.
What Korrine and your family has taught me this year is the power of prayer. I had begun to loose faith in my God and when you have asked for prayers I give them. As result of my pryers and thousands of other prayers I have been taught what determination and true selfless love is. I see that God has plan that is not always apparent to me.
Love and Prayers
Corina
Korrine, I have never met you.. actually- I have never been lucky enough to have met you. I hear so much about you. Not just about what is going on inside of your body, but what is going on inside of your heart. I hear and I read about how you heart is so strong and so tender. It's considerate and loving- thoughtful and kind. I hear your personality can shine up a room and your smile is like bright blinking star. For someone who should feel so much anger, so much confusion, and so lost- you seem to be the most happy, the most joyful, the most loved, the most valued, the most honest, the most loving, and the most strong willed young lady I have ever read about.
Korrine, I know of you becuase of my mom- Rosalyn Esmeyer. I have heard tons about you.. she keeps me updated and I do come read the blog, but I have never really known what to say to you. But here I am today- trusting that God will give me the words He wants you to hear. Korrine, remember God is love. Remember how much he loves you. Remember that there is such an amazing purpose in life- and you have grasped it at such a young age. You fulfill Our Abba's purpose daily. Our Father has given us this amazing self sacrificing, willing, and unconditional love that is so evident in your life.
Your life is valued. Your time is valued. Your smile, your face, and every toe and every hair on your head is valued- not just by your mom and dad, not just by me and my mom, not just by the WHOLE bay area, but YOU ARE totally agape loved and valued by the one who knows you and knows how to love you best, our Sweet Father.
Let's praise Him Korrine!! Praise Him for the power He has given you to show His love.... His hope, and His magnificent faith. Remain faithful.. for He will never leave you NOR forsake you. I agape love you Korrine, as much as humanly possible. Thank you for showing me Christs love and power through this painful struggle.
I am praying for you sister! :)
Your Sister in Christ,
Jamie Esmeyer
I remember picking my daughter Paige up from school one day when Korrine was in 6th grade. Paige (a 7th grader at the time) got into the car and said she had met the nicest girl in her PE class that day. She then talked about this "Korrine" for the longest time after that. It was such a treat when Paige finally pointed you out to us one day and we could put a beautiful face with the beautiful stories.
Korrine, I am sure that you really have no idea the depth at which you have touched so many people. There are people who have turned to God for the first time as you have drawn them to seek God on your behalf. You have caused many of us to return to our first love and spend extended time in prayer on your behalf...but consequently renewing our walk with our Savior.
You have shown strength and joy in unimaginable situations and caused us to see each day with new eyes. You have joined a community for one cause...you!! (not because you asked for it, but because you naturally draw people to you.)
Dana, I loved reading how you described your daughter...such deep love,compassion and awe. You gave those of us who have come to love Korrine from afar a glimps of just how deeply you love her every minute of every day. God has blessed you abundantly with such an amazing daughter (and son!!).
Please know our prayers for Korrine's complete healing, freedom from pain and peace for each of will not cease. We will continue to lift your family throughout the day and nights to come. On our knee on your behalf,
The Bauer Family
(Rick, Corey, Paige and Bradnon)
Korinne, you have been such an inspiration me, how you have held yourself through this, and kept you chin up, and your faith strong. Just watching you keeping the faith has helped me through some very tough family problems, and made me continually realise how what I think is important often isn't and what I take for granted I often shouldn't, every day is a gift, the time we spend with those we love is our gift. Sometimes I look for the miraculous where I shouldn't and the miracle right in front of me I overlook. I pray for a miraculous healing for you every time I can. I want to tell you that God has done a miracle in creating such a faithful person, such a caring and faithful servant. Your faith and your family's faith has been so strong. Your family has helped my family more than I feel like I could ever express, and you have helped so many people with miraculous faith. Thank you and God Bless You! Dmiller, sonora.
Korrine is already God's miracle...she's a beautiful example of God's love flowing through a person to all who draw near. Even those, like myself, who have never met Korrine, are encouraged by her strong faith.
When our son had relapsed with cancer, he wanted to be baptized. At his baptism gathering, my sister asked who had been touched by Phil's life. Kindly, many hands were raised, and as Phil looked out at the family and friends with their hands in the air, he later remarked to me, "Mom, maybe that's what this is for." His cancer separated him from us for a while, but not forever.
The joy that fills Korrine and that pours through her life into all of our lives, is also the miracle of Hope. It shines through Korrine's smile in every picture you send.
Lord, thank You for this precious child. Touch her with Your healing touch, let her know how much her courage in this battle speaks to all of us. Help her to be free of pain and suffering and to continue to share her story long past today...thank You for this family's faith in Who You are! They are all truly Your warriors! Amen!
Continued prayers,
Diane Shore
My goodness! What a wonderful legacy of stories and hope you have inspired in so many people, Korrine! Although we have only known your family for a short time, you have changed us and helped us to open our eyes to each other and those around us. We have been blessed to get to know you all. The faith you have and the courage is something that has touched many lives. There is hope and love beyond what we can imagine, all because people have had the heart to read about and get to know Korrine better through this site. We pray each night as a family for you all. I hold dear in my heart your beautiful smiling face that radiates love to anyone who sees it and your sweet spirit that truly is a blessing on earth and a lesson in love to everyone! Korrine, you are an angel in that you have brought so many closer to God and into their hearts in faith. We pray that the pain goes away and you feel the Lord's hand upon you, bringing you peace and joy for all the sunshine you have brought to the world.
With love, The Aboumrad's
Now don't tell this story to my daughter, MacKenzie, or to your brother, Sean. But, the first time I met you was at a Super Bowl Party at your uncle's house in Hayward. Your mom and I quickly became fast friends because of Sean and MacKenzie. You, Korrine, were happily playing with all the kids at the party, intermingling with everyone, regardless of age or gender. Your laughter was intoxicating. But, I digress. First, Sean had an "accident" and needed a change of clothes. (Remember, ssssssssssssssshhhhhhhh, we're not telling Sean about this story). Then, once your mom got Sean settled into new duds, MacKenzie decided to have an "accident". I don't know, maybe she thought it was really cool when Sean did it? LOL Who knows. (Remember, Ssssssshhh, we're not telling MacKenzie about this story either, right?). Your mom and I had to drive to a store to get MacKenzie some new clothes to change into. During that ride, as moms do, we yapped about our kids. She had NOTHING but good Korrine stories. NOTHING bad about you or annoying. Very unusual!! :) Hearing her talk about you and the love she had for you and Sean was so heartwarming. When we returned to the party and I watched all the kids playing together, I totally understood why she raved about you. You were so kind to the little ones and so NOT annoying to the older kids. Know that we will always have those thoughts of you on that day. We love you, you are in our prayers and we thank God for all you've given everyone around you.
Peace,
Debra, Kyle and MacKenzie Brumbaugh
Dear Korrine, Sean, Dana and Matt,
The first memory of Korrine would be at DeeDee's house for a Super Bowl party. Korrine with her beautiful smile and Sean in a baby carrier. I had already moved on from working at Canyon and didn't know a new little Croghan had arrived. A BEAUTIFUL FAMILY!
Korrine's smile, strength, compassion, courage, faith and love... are the foundation of that Croghan family! Always has been, always will be!
When it would have been so easy to shut out the world, hide under the covers and keep Korrine all to yourselves these past 10 months, you let us all in... those who know you and those around the world who you may never meet.
You've shared with us, educated us, inspired us, and reminded us to LIVESTRONG! As I've mentioned before... when I see those yellow bracelets on anyone's wrist, I don't think of Lance, I think of KORRINE! Korrine exemplifies what is means to LIVESTRONG!
As we continue to pray for comfort (no pain), peace, and miracles... I thank God for the MIRACLE that is KORRINE, that is SEAN, that is DANA and that is MATT!
hugs and much love, kathy t.
I know I talk to you all the time, but a few things I just have to say publicly.....it has been such an honor to know Korrine and your family. Someone very wise said to me last week....."I just hope they realize how much they have all ttaught us through this journey". That is so profound and so true. The impact you all have made on hundreds maybe thousands of people is a miracle in itself. Korrine, as we all know, is the sweetest girl I have ever met. I think back to the many times in the halls of Smith, where she would say, "hi Betsy, how are you?", and she TRULY meant it. I would rush by her cuz I'm always in a hurry and would say, "I'm great, how are you?" and then keep on walking. We all need to slow down and smell the roses, and have those conversations that are meaningful. Thank God I have slowed down and spent the time now to talk with you Korrine, and realized what is most important in life. I sit here weeping about how much you Korrine, and also your family have taught us. My life and many others are changed forever because of you. Sean said to me today...."Korrine is my best friend". So many of us have kids who fight with one another and drive each other crazy, and this 9 year old boy tells me today that his 14 year old sister is his best friend. Need I say more? I love you guys with all my heart.
Betsy
Dear Korrine,
Let's see... I met you in early 2008, right after your first surgery. I was in Oakland and saw a man wearing either a shirt or jacket with "water polo" on it, and knowing that the water polo community is a small one, I mentioned that my husband coached Cal High Water Polo and did he happen to know Richard Thornton? As it turned out, your dad did know Richard. As I said, the water polo community is a small one and we all seem to know each other in some way or another. Not only did Richard know your dad and vis-versa, but Richard and his dad, Nort, remembered your Uncle Mark as a polo player at Cal. Anyway, after introducing myself, your dad immediately took me upstairs to your hospital room and introduced me to both you and your mom. What a smile - that's what a I remember of our first meeting - the smile you greeted me when I walked into the room and was introduced to you. After hearing how much you loved water polo and knowing that my father-in-law had access to Cal's water polo coach and the NCAA Water Polo champs - I offered to get you a signed photograph of the team... and your smile got event bigger! On those rare occasions when I did get to come to see you, you always had a smile on your face - always... and now that I think back on it, so did your mom and your dad whenever I saw them too. That's where you get your strength and positivity - from, your parents. You are truly blessed to have such a wonderful family around you - and I must say that they are equally blessed to have you around them! From the moment we first met, I've followed your blog and I can't tell you how you and your family continue to impress me with your strength and faith. Oh, I almost forgot - I mentioned the Cal Water Polo team just a minute ago, well.... I was at a Cal Aquatic function on Saturday night and the water polo players were there - I can't tell you how many of them came up to me and were asking how you were doing. When I told them that you feeling a bit under the weather at the moment, a few of the guys told me to let them know when you were feeling up for some vistors... because they'd like to stop in for a quick visit...! So, your dad has my number - both at work and at home, give me a call when you feel up to it, so we can arrange a visit!
A huge thank you to you and your family for sharing your personal journey with all of us through this blog. With each post, we have the pleasure of getting to know you more and more, and the more we know you, the more we love you. Of course, we've only scratched the surface and we're looking forward to learing a whole lot more in the days and months to come.
You and your family remain in our daily prayers - hugs and healing prayers continue to be sent your way. Love,
Glenda Thornton
You remain in my daily prayers and in those prayers of my family -
Dear Korrine, Dana, Matt & Sean,
If it wasn't for water polo our families may have never met. It has
been a blessing and our good luck to
have signed up Mike and started down the road to having Matt as a coach to our kids and getting to know all of you. It has always been upbeat, positive and fun to be around your whole family at the pool. You are people that we always look forward to seeing and spending any amount of time with. We have felt so lucky to have you as friends.
When I first started to attend water polo games and tournaments and saw Korrine interact with the kids and adults, I was always impressed by her attitude. She always had a great attitude towards everyone she was around. She was kind to all the kids and was always polite and friendly to the parents.
I looked forward to seeing her at games just to say hi, so that I could see that big smile she flashed at me every time. She makes you happy just watching her.
When it came time for Middle School she did not change this warm attitude towards people, she stayed
bright and positive. I admired her and continue to admire her tremendously.
Please know that we have you all in our thoughts and hearts every day.
Love & friendship,
Renee, Jeff , Mike, Nellie & Nick
When I think of Korrine, I just think of a big ray of sunshine. When I met you Croghans way back when when Korrine was little and Dana was watching my sister, I never knew that this one family would have such a huge impact on my life and everyone else's life. Dana, you wonder where Korrine gets it, and I can tell you, it's from you and Matt. I have never met nicer people ever. I am completely astounded at Korrine, and how she is suffering through this but continues to have the courage to face it over and over again. Because of Korrine, I believe in miracles.
Korrine...
You have taught me prayer, peace, and perspective.
For that I thank you...
Liz
Korrine,
I know you’ve heard this before, but I remember when you were a toddler in our Sunday School class, Laurie and I would follow you around wishing we had a little helmet to make sure you were safe. You were so cute, like a precious doll! As you grew, I have great memories of meeting you and your mom behind Arroyo Mocho as she dropped you off and I dropped off Katie. I loved seeing you and chatting with your mom – it always gave me perspective. I remember when you redecorated your room, and you had that cool net canopy – it looked like a room for a princess (I guess it was :)
Everybody has described you so beautifully, I can’t think of any special words to add except that you’ve always been one of my favorites (shh don’t tell anyone). Psalm 91 has been the scripture Godd has lead me to pray for you the last few months. What a wonderful idea to share our memories with you – thank you for blessing us this way!
Cindy A
Korrine is so much bigger than life!!! Myself and Josh and McKenna have always felt that Korrine is one of the most genuine, beautiful inside and out, people we know. There is no doubt that she is truely an angel on earth. Her smile has always warmed our hearts. Just being in Korrine's presence makes you feel closer to God. Dana and Matt, you have raised the most wonderful daughter. Our prayers are with all of you and we will pray for a miracle and for no more pain and suffering for Korrine. We love you guys.
Love, Cece, Shawn, Josh and McKenna Daly :)
Hi Korrine,
I was watching the kids run before school today and there was a group of Mom's talking. Many of them stated that they couldn't bring themselves to look at this site or really wanted to think about what they wanted to say, before responding.
I just wanted to say, that even though times are tough right now, I'm still smiling whenever I think of you. You bring nothing but joy to my heart and those that you have touched. You are an incredible role model to my kids and to think about you makes me happy!!!
LiveSTRONG and stay positive.
I pray for ease of pain and comfort for you all.
Wendy
Korrine,
You are my hero. Even though I don't know you personally, I have followed your story closely, and have shared it with those in my life. You are braver and mightier than so many adults I know. You are so clearly a light among us. You are a gift. You are held...
Love, Gal
Hi Korrine,
I was watching the kids run before school today and there was a group of Mom's talking. Many of them stated that they couldn't bring themselves to look at this site or really wanted to think about what they wanted to say, before responding.
I just wanted to say, that even though times are tough right now, I'm still smiling whenever I think of you. You bring nothing but joy to my heart and those that you have touched. You are an incredible role model to my kids and to think about you makes me happy!!!
LiveSTRONG and stay positive.
I pray for ease of pain and comfort for you all.
Wendy
Korrine,
We have never met and I don't know your family. I can only tell you that you have had such an impact on my life. Your smile, positive attitude and your courage is very simply put, amazing. You have touched so many lives and there are so many people who love, care and respect you...You're an inspiration. Our prayers continue and just know you are so deeply loved by so many.
Korrine
I too am another Smith mom who has ALWAYS been impressed by your wonderful demeanor & smile. You always come on the campus smiling with a genuine Hello, How are you-a true confidence-I believe what Gail said to be true a God confidence. What does God ask us to do-live by example & honey you TRULY do-I have tears streaming down my face as I type this. Words cannot convey how very much you & your amazing family have touched upon our lives. I 1st met your mom in Kindergarten, Mrs Meyers class, Sean & Sammi's class. What a genuinely good hearted person she is & her love of her children just shines through you & Sean.
Korrine you have inspired me to be a better mother & person & I think I mentioned that I am going to school to get a job as a case worker in a hospital-somehow I'd like to think that through God I was inspired to do this work as well-to help others. You have touched so many-I have people all over the country praying for you. You are an angel to us all. You are a true example of God's love for us & of what the meaning of faith is.
We love you Croghan Family-Thank you for sharing your lives with us.
Go Team KC, Live Strong and in the words of Korrine Stay Positive
Love Maxine Hammons & Family
Sammi loves you Korrine
PS This weekend Calling All Angels came on the radio & I smiled thinking of you, it was a sign for me from God that He is with you, with all of us.
Dear Korrine and Family.
What God has taught me through you is almost to much for words but I will try. In my life I have had some painful losses that have left some deep scars on my person. It has been some time but I am a work in progress as my Lord knows. When you appeared into my life last spring Korrine it was my greatest desire to grow from those wounds so I could serve my God more fully. Watching your courage and your family, looking at life as Jesus would you put it all in perspective. Because of you alone Korrine my heart is healing, and I do feel that in the near future after six long years of dealing with my losses I am ready almost to go out and serve Him more fully. Your story has given our entire family another reason to pray togethter. My eight year old remembers you daily and His God has only grown bigger. I hope you know how many speak of you in this community and what a huge positivie impact you are having. I am sorry for the reason for the message but the messenger has handled this with beauty, grace and faith beyond her fourteen years. I will never forget this season as long as I live. You are an incredible blessing to the Kellman family, and we will continue to pray for you as the Lord Heals your body.. be well.
love
Sandi Kellman and family
Thats exactly what i was thinking. Korrine is the purest person. The funniest person with the best intentions to make life worth while and great for everyone to be around her. She is the most positive influence not only in my life but in everyone's life. Even sugar wold say she is the sweetest.(if sugar could talk) she is the most beautiful person in the world. inside and out. no one compares to my little cousin.
Although I also have not met Korrine, I have been following her blog and praying after finding out about it through Lorri Steer. Korrine, you are an amazing person and also have an amazing family. Thank you for showing all off us that glorifying God in all our trials is really what is important. You have done so and continue to so admirably. God bless each one of you.
Where to even start, You, Korrine are a Bright star in so many of our LIFE's.. I feel, You have brighten up our world, and we LOVE you for that..
Your faith, just shines! Your family is truly blessed by God to have such a beautiful girl to fill their lives.
OUR prayers are endless, and will continue lifting you up. I pray for you to be released from your pain and I thank you for generously sharing your courageous battle with us.
Thank you for being you, I am hoping we can meet you real soon.
LOVE, Bob and LORI Rauscher
Dear Korrine & Family,
I do not know you personally but I can tell by your POSITIVE attitude that you're a fighter....I've been through a cancer bout with a family member and all I can say is stay positive. I love all of your photos and seeing you laugh and smile with your family. You're a treasure!
What does Korrine mean to me? Well, I'm blessed to have met her. She's always smiling. Never in a bad mood. Sweet as can be without ever being cloying. I've never heard anything bad about her from anyone (and teenagers will give those opinions!).
Korrine is a roll model, yet she's filled with humanity. She's an inspiration. Reading through this blog, she makes me want to be a better person. When I'm having a bad day, I realize I've never had it so good. She faces adversity constantly and yet there are so many smiling photos here.
Korrine, you are one tough cookie.
Thank you, Korrine, for being in my life.
Linda Morrison
aka Ceilidh's Mom
Korrine you always have a smile on your face.If I was ever feeling down you would always make me feel better. And your vocabulary is wonderful ex: snazzy! haha. You always laugh at old jokes like when I accidently dropped you in 3rd grade, sorry again :). You are a wonderful person, I don't know how one person could have so much life in oneself. You are amazing!
Love, Anja
When I first started working at the Community Center there was a family present here amongst all of the workers. Anchoring that family were the Croghans. I worked alongside Dana and interacted with Matt, Sean and of course Korrine on what seemed to be a daily basis. They made this job enjoyable and although i continue to work there it hasn't been the same since they left.
So what Korrine means to me? this is a pretty hard question for me to answer but hey im up for the task. I figure a list is the best way for me to say what i need to. When i think of Korrine i think of: hope, faith, strength, kindness, laughter, and so much more. She is amazing, inspirational, kind hearted, and athletic. She has a wit and knowledge which far surpasses her age.. or mine for that matter and im 23. She is selfless, heroic, and sweet. She is the basis for how we should judge ourselves and others because she puts everything in perspective. I dont know how you do it Korrine, but through all of this you have continued to be the same korrine with the smile which is infectious to all.
Korrine you are the most unselfish person i know, in fact i realize through you just how selfish i am, because i need you to get better and quick, not just for yourself, but for me because i want to see you energetic and happy self around the pool once again. I will stop now so as not to be repetitive.
You are always on my mind and in my prayers.
I hope to see you soon Korrine, as well as the rest of your family. And if you or your family need anything please do not hesitate to ask.
Your buddy
Steve
KOrrine,
I can honestly say that you are one of the nicest most positive person I have ever met. Every single day that I have known you you have had a smile on you face 100% of the time. People would allways look up to you when they were having a hard time and you could just make them smile. That is such a valuable thing tho have aa a person not many people can do that. If it wasn't for you positive attitude then I don't think that you would beable to have made it this far. Much Love
Juliana and Fernandez Family
Dear Croghans,
Thinking of you all, today and always!
hugs and much love, kathy t.
Dear Mr. and Mrs. Croghan,
My name is Stacy Horn and this past spring/summer season my husband Walt and I were in CA for several months as he is the Assistant Athletic Trainer with the Oakland A's. I have known and been friends with the team's manager, Pam Geren for several years. She invited me this spring to her church, "Cornerstone" for both worship and a women's bible study. It was at this bible study that I learned about Korrine and her battle with cancer. When I first heard her story I was literally speechless, which if you know me is actually incredible! At that time it was beyond my comprehension that this young girl at a time in her life when she should be healthy, carefree, and vibrant, had to battle such a painful, horrible illness. Since that first day, there has not been one day and several times a day at that that I have not thought of your daughter and family and prayed for her full recovery. Sue, is the one that first told me about Korrine. I have never met your daughter, but I know that one day I will. I am not sure I can put into words how very much she and her story have touched my life. As I write this I have tears running down my face, as it is hard to explain what is in my heart. If I were there I would give Korrine and your entire family a big hug! Korrine is one of those special angels. I have only known one other such angel in my lifetime. I believe that every so often God chooses at the time of their birth a very special angel. Korrine is one of those angels.She has reminded me what truly matters. With her faith, and grace she has touched the lives of countless others. When you write about her daily battles, my heart aches for her. I can only imagine what it must be like as a parent to watch your child suffer so. I do know one thing; God has never left her side. And miracles happen every day. Often we are just too busy or distracted to see them. I will continue to pray for Korrine and her miracle. She is a warrior. She has fought an incredible battle with grace and dignity. She has continually amazed me with her kindness and courage. There is always hope. I pray that God will embrace your entire family and give you the miracle that we are all praying for. You are so lucky to have such a strong, beautiful, angel for a daughter! You both must be so very proud of her! For Korrine to be so special, I'm sure that she has wonderful parents. For wonderful parents raise wonderful children! Your updates have touched my heart and soul. Please know that you are constantly in my thoughts and prayers. Please do me one small favor. Tell Korrine today how I am so thankful for all the good she has done for me and that the world is a much better place because of her. Tell her that she was my miracle!
With tears, hugs, and Blessings,
Stacy Horn
I can't even tell you how impressed by Korrine's courage. She has more courage at her young age of 14 than I do at 43. What a wise, beautiful young lady. I admire her greatly and think of her often, wishing such a lovely young person didn't have to endure what she has.
Korrine has the sweetest, kindest disposition of any young girl I've met! If you've had a bad day, her smile would definitely take you out of that mood! I'm not surprised-look at her family...Dana, you and Matt have raised very nice, respectful kids. Not to mention you two are a great couple. I'm sure I've said it before, but I'll say it again. Truly the light of Jesus shines through Korrine, in her actions, her words, her smile! Be strong, Korrine, be strong!
Love,
The McNairs
Praying praying!
Wow! Ok, so you guys may not remember me, but I am Tessa "Rose" Ortner. I went to Arroyo Mocho with Korrine. She went to my 9th, 10th, and 11th birthday parties and I believe I went to her 6th birthday party. Anyway, I am absolutely in aw of how strong Korrine is. She is my hero. I wear my Livestrong bracelet day and night just for her. I pray for her almost every night. I am very proud of you Korrine and I look up to you. You are my one and only hero. I love you very very much. Keep fighting I know we can beat this!
Love,
Tessa "Rose" Ortner.
korrine,
you are such an amazing person and you will never know how you changed so many peoles lives. you are so funny, caring, and your always nice to everyone. i will never forget the grat times we had in PE a few years ago. i am so glad that i know you. you are such a blessing and i cant even imagine what your going through. i am praying for you, that you will stay strong, keep a smile on you face, and et through this fast.
love Paige Bauer
Hey there Croghan family,
I just wanted to let you know that I am praying for you at 10:50pm and so many other times during the day.
Please know that I am constantly praying for you.
Liz
My first memories of the Croghan family was when Matt was our girls' swim coach at Sunset Cabana and his sweet little wife, Dana, cheered them on. We re-connected several years later through Resources for Family Development and I met Korrine cruising around their coffee-table as a 14 month old. Even then she was all smiles, inquisitive, and happy.
We what have to remember is that God is good -- all the time. Thank you, Father, for giving us the Croghan Family.
Gene, Cathy, Sarah, Rachel and Leah Schultz
Hey, I tried to drop an atomic prayer bomb of peace, love and comfort on you yesterday, but I must have misfired! I'm sending another today and tomorrow and the next day...
Loving you, Lorri
Xlife Student Ministries in New Orleans is praying for you and your family Korrine.
Korrine,
I heard your story through a friend of mine from high school and discovered once again what a small world we live in. Your Dad was the swim coach at my high school in Fremont and many of the people I went to high school with have ended up here in Livermore. One day, your Mom came into my store and I recognized her right away. It must have been from the Team KC posters I had seen. You are lucky to have such a warm, kind Mother, she talked about you and your brother the whole time she was there. She shared your blog information with me and I have been reading your story ever since. From what I have read about you, I know that you hope that your pain and suffering will in some way help others and will serve a purpose for other people. I just wanted to let you know that it is abundantly clear to me that you are helping people everyday. Just look at all of the people who are so much more grateful for every day that they have. I am confident that because of you, there are many, many more hugs given out everyday and that there are many, many people who are more grateful for all of their days, good or bad. You have inspired a genuine appreciation for life that people often lose sight of. You have touched many lives and you should be incredibly proud of that. I can tell that you are a survivor I admire you and your family for your strength and perseverence. I have had the pleasure of meeting you in my store on a few occasions and I look very forward to seeing your pretty face again soon. I will give my kids lots of extra hugs today and I will think of you before every one.
Respectfully,
Elizabeth
Dear Korrine & Family,
Dobbins Christian Assembly is praying for you too!
Korrine and family,
You are at the top of our prayer list again today.....our hearts go out to you during this difficult time.
Your strength has been such a testament to your faith in God.
Although it is very difficult to understand why such a beautiful little girl would have to go through so much, you have done it with grace and dignity. You have been a wonderful example to us all.
I pray that the Lord's healing hand of comfort and peace is felt by you today. He knows what you need.
God Bless you.
Cheryl Smyth (Shannon Osterberg's mom)
Korrine, family and friends,
You all have touched my heart. I'm lifting you up in prayer. An Up With People friend,
Shawn Watts, Los Altos, CA
keep on fighting,korrine. don't ever give up.there are so many people fighting for you,and even more people praying every single day. there is no way possible that this cancer can beat you. you have had these hardships before,and have they ever beaten you? no.you get through this one,also.i am praying for you every minute of the day,and so are many others. you will survive this cancer,and you can tell your story when you are 90 years old! i pray for you every day. never give up!
The other day, one of my six year old students came to me and said, "When you really love someone, they stay in your heart forever."
Korrine you are forever in my heart. I think of you often and send thoughts of love, healing and strength, my friend.
LC
Hi Croghan Family!
Thinking of you with love, and praying for A- donors, healing, strength and peace. He is right there with you. You are His. Doesn't get much better than that. StaySTRONG and know you are so loved and never, ever alone.
Hugs and love,
Sue
Praying, praying, praying, praying, praying, praying and waiting patiently for the miracle.
All the while, Korrine's exuberant, effervescent, ever-present, sparkling smile are permanently engraved in my memory.
With never-ending love, prayers, hope and blessings,
Victoria Cooper
When I first met Korrine it was back when she and Andrew were at Arroyo Mocho. I had met Dana through a mutual friend (Nonda) and Dana introduced her daughter to me. Korrine was young, but even as a little 3rd grader she was mature beyond her years, and that light inside of her was undeniable. Over the years, every time I have seen Korrine I see that light, as bright as ever. She is so warm and genuine, and she is an incredible inspiration! Always a smile, always a hello, always a positive attitude.
Through this blog I have seen her strength and determination and it has given me a new appreciation for the incredible person she is. I pray every day for healing and comfort for Korrine.
Mary Hayes
You don't know us Korrine, but we are praying for you all the time!! We have never met you or your family, but we feel like we have known you forever!! I cry when I read your blog because you are the sweetest, most courageous, beautiful, unselfish girl that I have ever read or heard about. So many people can learn from you.
We live local and have 3 kids. One of ours is exactly your age. I can't imagine seeing my kids go through what you have been going through. My heart goes out to you, and your family. BUT I know with your amazing heart, and strength, God will get your through this!!
We will be praying for you and your family. Keep your courage up!!!
Korrine, You are the real deal :) I love you more than word can express. To see Hero sitting on you lap today was a real treat! You bless me and all of us sweet Korrine! Much love, Auntie Denise
I have not had the honored opportunity to become friends with Korrine. I know of her and know her family through teaching at Smith Elm. I remember seeing her radiant smiling face on campus. I'm amazed when I see her pictures on the blog...still radiant! Eventhough my family and I are not personal friends, we feel personal about the Croghan family. We pray daily and talk about Korrine more often than she probably even can realize. So many people do. Korrine you are a part of many hearts, lives and spirits by your incredible faith and determination...stay strong. Matt and Dana you are astounding role models as parents. Sean, you are a beautiful example of sibling bond that cannot be broken. God Bless all of you. All of you have taught my family and I priceless lessons that will remain with us for enternity.
With love and prayers as God Listens,
The Linney family
Dear Korrine,
After reading your mom's last message, I had a lot of thoughts about you from the time you were born( we share the same birthday) until now and I thought carefully about what I wanted to write to you, about you!.I am smiling right now as I think back about the times you came over with mom and dad, and how cute and sweet and good you always were. It was like you knew what to do in most situations. I was happy to watch after you on a lot of occasions and you were always good a gold. When you were seven years old, you showed signs of being mature enough to be Baptized in your faith. I was honored to be asked to be your God Mother. I recall the day well, as we sat there in church and watched with such excitement as you were lowered into the water. You came up with a big smile..and we all clapped for you. You were just a little girl but with a very wise soul and so good.You wore the cutest blue hat and dress to match..You were given a lovely bouquet of flowers wrapped in green paper, and you held onto them with your sweet little hands.It was a beautiful memory for sure.That was 6/1/2001.
You have been an inspiration to all of us who know you and to those who have only just heard about you and I think I can speak for all of us out here that we are there with you.
You are loved Korrine..pleae know that..
Love from Debby and Ian and family too..
We are praying for you sweetheart. Keep fighting and stay strong. We will never stop fighting and praying for you until you are cancer free..
We love you so much more than words can ever say!!!! You have done more for my family than you will ever know. You have taught us all to cherish every moment that we have together, to thank God everyday for what we have. You inspire everyone around you and in reading and following this blog on a daily basis, (sometimes even many times a day since it has been up) you have inspired so many people that havent even met you. That is just amazing, that one little girl has that much inpact on everyone around her, but you do. You have always had a certain way about you, as someone stated in another post you are an angel among us. That is so true. Everyday you make that very clear.
When asked to share stories and tell what you mean to each of us, Well that was very hard to put into words. Your beautiful smile is the first thing that comes to my mind. That incredibly contagious beautiful smile of yours, that everytime you enter a room you light up the entire place. I will never forget a day at the ball park when my 4 year old son was pulling on me and said mommy look there is Seans sister "The smiling girl"!!
He was exactly right that is a perfect description of you. You are always happy, carefree and so much fun to be around.
You have taken this horrible disease and turned it into something good, by helping so many people around you and taking every moment to help others in need. To educate other kids that are sick and build this incredible awareness all around you. Your mom has always told me that you will make a difference with this cancer and she sure is right.
You are truely the most amazing person I have ever met. I am blessed to know you and your family, and am very honored to call you all my friends.
May God bless you all
Much Love
Tamika Riddiough and family
Korrine is:
Inspiring; loved; loveable; cute; courageous; magnificent; Godly; pure; patient; tender; precious; gracious; intelligent; kind; vulnerable; funny; ill; tough; tenacious; pretty; talented; terrific;
Those are just a few of the words that came to mind just now.
I think I missed one.. a blessing to all you touch, whether right next to you or half way around the world.
Thank you for taking God's yoke and wearing it with grace and dignity, and teaching so many of us what it means to be all those things plus so much more.
Sweet dreams Korrine. It's time to rest for the night.
Korrine,
I have never officially met you but watched you hanging out on the bench at May Nissen waiting for your mom while she taught my water aerobics class. It's hard to believe that the little girl I saw sitting there is in this fight for her life and all the while inspiring all of this love and outreach.
Your mom is such a joy and, from your smile, I can see you are, too.
I am praying for you and your family and have asked for prayer from my church and will ask my MOPS group tomorrow to pray, too.
As a mom myself, I cannot even imagine the bravery it is taking your whole family to do what you're doing at every moment of every day. I sit here wishing that I had the type of blood you needed and am looking for anyone who might be A-hoping that it will help.
Please know that we're all praying for healing and an end to your pain.
Blessings and hugs,
Elise McQuilliam and family
i know this may seeem wierd that i am sending you a video. but once i watched it... i thought of you. and i thought of your family korrine.
just know:
the star breather became the sin bearer... where the universe maker became man kinds savior. HE HAS A PURPOSE IN EVERY CIRCUMSTANCE... he may not change the situation.. but HIS puropse and plan will triumph over any circumstance in the world. :)
you are loved. and God is love. im praying for you....!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUCJ0HHMSbY
love, jamie esmeyer
Dear Korrine,
You don't know me, but Shelby Stunkel's dad is an old friend, and he's invited us to write to you. I've read your blog and am so touched by your courage and strength. You are a shining light for all of us, and I'll be thinking and praying for you throughout each day. Rest today knowing that you are a child of God, complete and perfect and touching people's lives -- including mine -- in extraordinary ways.
Love and prayers,
Chuck Vilina and family
St. Cloud, Minnesota
korrine... this is a tough question, considering all of the great things that you have taught/shown me. I first met you in softball when i was 5 and you were 6. We were on the Butterflies together (Ron Swinkels was our coach). You were smiling and always having a great time, and it always was a pleasure to be in your presence.
A couple years later i watched you sing the National Anthem at opening day for softball. I honestly thought to myself... Wow i have never heard anyone sing so beautifully. That was when we, in a way, lost touch and then coming in to middle school i saw you again.
I remember seeing you at lunch with your friends, i never once saw you frown, hardly ever did i see you keep a strait face. This has taught me to always enjoy life to the fullest and always to be prepared for the unexpected. When i was in 7th grade i got to see you even more, as i would walk to Mrs. Brown's class in between 2nd and 3rd period. I always saw you!
That december i heard that you were diagnosed with this awful disease. I have been following your story ever since. I realize that yesterday it had been ten months to the date. But.. anyways, you have taught me so many important lessons i will cherish the rest of my life.
You have taught me to make the most of everyday, and take it slowly because you never know what will be thrown your way. You have taught me to believe in myself and think, butmost importantly, know that you can accomplish anything that you fight so hard to get through. You are an inspiration to me and i will continue to tell your story to the world. There is a very special part of my heart that belongs to you and i will cherish it forever. It is such an honor to know you. You are the person who brought our community together, to help you in your time of needing more love and support. You truly are an amazing person and i love you so much!
Continue to fight hard and strong. You are the most brave person i have ever known! liveSTRONG!
Love Always,
Audrey Walke
Good Morning Korrine! I am praying that your pain is not too strong today and that you are able to rest and enjoy your home and family. Love, Lorri
Korrine-
Wow. wow.wow.wow.wow.wow! I knew you were awesome and amazing, but it was cool to see what you like to do! As a girl just a little bit older than you, I think of you as my hero, and someone I greatly admire. Look at you - You're an excellent student, athlete, and human being. I have never met you, but I hope I can meet you someday. This year, our tent was right next to your team KC at the relay, and as I did my laps( pizza lap is my favorite!!!) I thought of you, and how AMAZINGLY AWESOME you are! How STRONG you are. You have helped me get through the difficult times I have had with how cancer affected my family. You and your family gave and still gives me hope. I now own a livestrong sweatshirt, shirt, bracelets, sunglasses( wear the in all my softball tournaments), running shoes( wear them running and at softball workout- I wear them like, everyday!), shorts, pants, and duffel bag. Thats my livestrong product collection, and I plan to get more!!!!! I also have the stand up to cancer t-shirt. Every time I use that stuff, I wear it with pride , in honor of amazing people like you. You are an AWESOME person, Korrine. You should be SO EXTREMELY PROUD of yourself! Please know that we are praying for you. I hope the pain goes away. God loves you. LIVESTRONG!!!!!!!!!!! Oh, and I think it is SO COOL that you got to meet the Giants players!!!!!
Korrine, you are teaching us all how to liveSTRONG and have faith as strong as a mustard seed.
My two small daughters continue to learn from you the power of love, prayer and community. In addition, they now want to become water polo players.
We pray for you to have peace and true comfort during times of pain~La Familia Cortez
It is always such a blessing to read all the comments from others each day. The impact your 14 years on this earth so far have made on humanity is humbling. God has created someone particularly special and set apart in Korrine. You are a precious vessel for Him. Don't get me wrong...we are all fearfully and wonderfully made as we read in the Psalms and we each have a special purpose that God has placed for each of us. But Korrine and the Croghan family have been specially chosen by God to reflect His light and His love in a way that no other family or individual could in such a dynamic way.
Sleep well Croghan Family.
Praying as always,
Me
Dearest Croghan family...
We have faith...
LiveStrong
Liz Ben Pam James
Good morning Korrine (and Dana!) when I was awake in the night, I prayed for you for a long, long time. Love, Lorri
Just so you know, you are constantly in our thoughts and prayers. We check the blog several times a day, and we hope that today is a good day for you.
I just want you to know that I have received this email from a friend of a friend of a friend etc... the word is traveling. i don't know my blood type but will look in to it and ask my husband. i became a believer about four years ago so watching someone's testimony like you have put together on the website was very touching and the way you described your daughter makes me see the power and the presences of the holy spirt in side her. i will surely pray that your family will find peace and comfort always in the will of god. thank you for the reminders of what is really important! I have wore the livestrong bracelet everyday the last 3 years( i even sleep in it) since i started training and running marathons. i have alway loved the motto and try to live with that philosophy. also it has meaning to me since i loss an uncle to cancer 2 year ago i just thought i would mention this cause i will this of korrine too.
Dana, you are so eloquent. Korrine is a beautiful, smiling, soul. Forever smiling. I've learned so much about you, Korrine, reading your blog. We pray for you everyday.
Love,
Jill, Tracy, Hannah and Claire
Dear Croghans,
Wearing my TEAM KC t-shirt and thinking of YOU. I'm hoping your days are pain-free and full of love, friends and family!
Sending prayers and positive energy!
hugs and love, kathy t.
To the Croghan Family,
Korrine has graciously exhibited to the world to never stop fighting for your life or for the potential benefit of others. She is showing us all how to live true to God's Second Commandment. Korrine has:
1. Invited complete strangers into her life so they could learn how very few people consistantly contribute blood or platelets to help the ill or the injured,
2. Committed herself to the long-term research efforts with her type of cancer to help cure future patients with the same disease,
3. Beamed that beautiful smile to many strangers at multiple medical facilities (smiling is contageous),
4. Showed the maturity to always remember her family and friends when communicating to the public, and
5. Continually professed her faith in God and his power to stop her pain. I am sure that Korrine has softened the hearts of some adults.
Korrine . . . I have shed many tears throughout your painful experience . . . I just wanted you to know . . . you will always be "My Second Angel in My Eyes" . . . you are a very special gift from God to all of us!
Matt, Dana, & Sean . . . you and your extended family are my heroes!
God Bless You!
Love,
Roger Accornero
The Heinz family continues to pray for Korrine and the family. For Korrine to be free of pain and continue her contagious smile. All the inspirational messages on this blog keep everyone going and help spread the word of prayer and faith. We admire your courage, strength and ability to keep us updated.
We love you.
((Virtual Hugs)),
The Heinz Family
Good morning Croghan's - just know that our prayers for you continue throughout each day. Hugs - The Thornton's
Good Morning CutiePie!
Thinking of you and continuing to pray that you receive everything you need. I pray that the pain has subsided and that you are able to enjoy some of this beautiful sunshine... since it reminds me so much of all of you and the brightness you have brought into our lives.
Much love,
Sue
Korrine and Family,
I still remember Korrine as an adorable kindergartner in my class. She was always eager to learn and had a smile on her face. "Bubbly" is the word that comes to mind! Korrine loved art and reading and singing and yes, she had many friends in kindergarten!
I love to see that Korrine continues to grow and learn and be an inspiration to so many. You are just a beautiful person and everyone who knows you can see how special you are.
I am praying for you throughout everyday and I am asking for no more pain and suffering and that you get the miracle you need. God is there with you. You are so strong in your faith and I know that is helping you.
I am sending love and prayers your way...
Cindy Vance
Dear Matt and Dana,
When we first heard the news of Korrine we were so sad to hear of it we immediatly got on this site and read up on her everyday. We prayed to God that he would heal her of all her cancer and that she would make a full recovery. It has now been almost a year and I have to say the courage, devotion, sacrafice, and pure will to believe in something greater than us has touched our family that words cannot express. I wake up everyday and thank the heavens above for my family and what we have and I pray for your family that he gives you the strengh to endure something so unthinkable.
Sweet Korrine, I have never personly met you but you my dear are an angel and reading what your Mom and Dad wrote about you I don't think you could have asked for better parents. Your will to fight this ugly disease with such maturtiy beyond your years leaves me in tears. I ask the Lord above in your darkest hour when all hope feels like it has left I know you will find whatever strengh you have left and believe that this will pass. Korinne you make me want to be a better person in every way I thank you for that. God Bless you and your beautiful family!!
Love,
Brett and Stephanie Rauscher
Dear Croghan Family,
I cannot tell you how much you all mean to our family. Korrine’s smile just lights up the world. I remember when we first met two years ago, while Chad & Sean were in 1st grade together in Mrs. Scarbrough’s class. At pick up, Korrine would look me in the eye and ask me “How are you today?” Or when she left, she’d always say “Have a nice day.” I never thought for one moment that she was insincere. I always think about what an amazing young lady she is! She also was so sweet when she babysat for Chad. Korrine was the 2nd babysitter we ever hired. We haven’t hired one since, but we don’t get out much :-). Anyway, Chad had a great time with Korrine and she left him such a lovely note about what a neat kid he is. It meant so much to Chad and to us. We would love to hire her again to babysit Chad.
Sean is also an amazing boy. I remember a Valentine’s Party in Mrs. Scarbrough’s class. As Sean opened each Valentine, he went to each student and said “Thank you for the Valentine.” But one of the students had to leave before the Valentines were opened, Sean went over to her desk and said “Jameson, I hope I remember to tell you ‘Thank you for my Valentine.’” At that moment, I thought “Wow, the Croghans are an amazing family!”
Matt and Dana, you are also both amazing people. Matt, I love to hear about your love of Water Polo and teaching young athletes. Dana, your stories about teaching swimming, water aerobics and working as a motivational speaker. It is just so awe inspiring. You both make a difference every day. You are wonderful parents.
Most of all, I want to thank you for sharing this incredible journey with all of us. I know it cannot be easy for you all. But your message has touched so many people. Just last night I had a call from a daughter of one of Korrine’s A- donors. Her mom is currently in London, but she wanted me to know that she met people in London who already knew of Korrine’s story. How amazing is that?
You have taught us all so much about love, family, faith, friends and time together. You are always in our thoughts and prayers. We feel so fortunate to have you in our lives and for every moment we spend with you. Your family has made the world a better place to live. Thank you. God Blessings to all of you.
Love, Janet, Kyle, Chad (& our big dog Jack, too)
Korrine, I have never met you in person, but your optimism, sweetness and faith have been with me every day since the first day I read the blog. You are such a special person, and there are so many people who love you and whose lives have been enriched by you. I donated blood at UCSF a few months ago when they thought you could take O-, and had the pleasure of meeting your dad and brother. I am thinking strong, positive, and pain relieving thoughts your way on this sunny Saturday morning, and wish I could give you a big hug right now -- so I'm also sending hugs your way.
HI Matt, Dana, Korrine & Sean,
I haven't really been around you guys in a long while. But I remember Korrine as a hilarious little one. She reminded me so much of Matt. She made me laugh every time I saw her, and I LOVE to laugh. She always seemed to have enough spunk and depth of character to balance each other and a strong determination. Yeah, I saw that when she was a little girl. I remember thinking how she did some of the same hilarious vocalizations that Matt did and the quirky joking. It was always so fun to watch her. Thinking of it now makes me smile.
I may have said this before, but I know that Erika feels honored to have shared that Hawaii trip with Korrine and the grandparents.
I want you to know that we pray for her complete healing, at the kitchen table, sometimes while we're driving around someone will say, "let's pray for Korrine right now," and we do.
We all love you, even from afar. You know I have always loved you. This whole thing has to be given over to the Lord and I know you have over and over, and I/we will continue to pray that she be healed. I KNOW GOD IS ABLE.
As Erika & Kaleb finish up Water Polo this week, I think of her even more. A boy got hurt last weekend from one of our area teams and the whole Water Polo community out here is so tightly surrounding their family with love and prayers. I see how that has been true for you guys too. Thank God for all those prayers & people loving on you.
Korrine, from someone you really don't know, please know this, my kids love you, pray for you and will probably see you tomorrow - how fortunate for them! Know that none of us have given up on complete healing for you. We know you are tired and want this to stop being an issue, and as your mom wrote, yes, God can and will and already IS using this whole thing to make Himself known and your awesome stick-to-it-ness will bring the LORD GLORY. What a privilege.
We continue to pray over here.
We continue to pray.
I love you,
rachel
Korrine-- your are completely the fragrance of the Knowledge of Christ spread everywhere-
Your strong spirit filled with love and caring continues to inspire us! Our prayers request that you are delivered peace and comfort~La Familia Cortez
Dear Croghan's,
I hadn't checked the blog this morning so I didn't see the Mitchell Katz message. I had called the winery though... to see when it would be available and they said it was there now.
We didn't get there until almost closing and when I asked for 4 bottles... the gal said I was lucky, it was the last 4 bottles from the 10 cases they had labeled! They'll be labeling more tonight. TEN CASES already!!! GO TEAM KC!
Sending prayers, hugs and much love to you all! ~kathy t.
Korrine...
This is my second time typing this...I am a little tech challenged, not sure what I did wrong the first time! Thursday when I was driving to work and had just finished praying for you and your family, I was listening to a CD by Steven Curtis Chapman (I love his music!). It was one of his older songs...Live Out Loud, and I thought of you. The song is fun, and energetic (sounds like you so far!)and then the lyrics seemed perfect for what I should type to you! I'm sure if you went to youtube you could find the song, or I could loan you my CD! I am going to paraphrase some of the song just so you can get the gist of it.
Imagine this
you get a call from Regis-
he says "Do you want to be a millionaire?"
They put me on the show and I win
with 2 life lines to spare
Picture this
I act like nothing ever happened
and I bury the money in a coffee can
Well, I've been given more than Regis ever gave away....
(chorus)
Wake the neighbors
Get the Word out
Come on, crank up the music
climb a mountain and shout
This is life we've been given,
made to be lived out
So...la, la, la, la, live out loud
Think about this
If we really have been given the gift of life that will never end
And if we have been filled with living hope, we're gonna overflow
And if God's love is burning in our hearts
we're gonna glow
There's just no way to keep it in
Chorus
So Korrine...God has always shined through you, but especially over these last 10 months. You have been fighting so hard and yet you have chosen to "Live Out Loud". Not just your neighbors, but you have woken up your whole community and beyond, showing us by example what it means to allow God to be active in your life in all situations.
I have many "mini" memories of you....you as a little one in the preschool area at Trinity, you having a main role in one of the children's musical, and hearing stories from Cassidy when you guys went to Arizona with the youth group. And yes...your smile ever present!!
With much love and prayers,
Cindy Sherman
Wishing you a blessed Sunday Korrine! We are praying for you and will go forward during our healing prayer this morning on your behalf. We love you so much!
Jack, Arla & Mary
Our congregation mentioned Korrine in our prayers today, and SIX people with A- blood came forward, willing to donate. We are in NC and need instruction on how to proceed.
I am looking into transportation possibilities, but need input to get the ball rolling.
Franklin Jones
828 287 3466
Thinking of you today and we are off to purchase a bottle of Team KC wine. Peace and love we send your way~La Familia Cortez
Korrine, Sean, Dana and Matt,
Starting the day with positive thoughts and prayers for you to all have a day of comfort, peace and "no-pain" for Korrine.
hugs and much love, kathy t.
Korrine, Matt, Dana & Sean,
Just so you know, you are all in our thoughts and prayers today. We hope that you are having a peaceful Sunday, and that Korrine is having a good day today. Please know that all of Team KC is thinking of you, and we hope that it gives you some measure of comfort to know that.
God bless you all always!
Hi Korrine...I've been gone from the computer, but you have not been gone from my mind and prayers. Hold you up to your Abba Father God. Love, Lorri
Dear Korrine and family,
Peace and love to you today and always. julie gilmore
Happy Sunday Croghans!
Just stopping by to check on you, send much love and let you know that I was blessed enough to get by and pick up some bottles of the Team KC wine! CutiePie, you are such an inspiration and have a heart as beautiful as your smile to want to give back. Not only am I proud of you, I'm honored to be part of your team.
Love, hugs and many prayers,
Sue
I 'met' Korrine through her website, Team KC, when a student in my online health class listed it as one of her favorites. The pictures of her with her beautiful smile and the love shining through her eyes told me everything about her. One week later I saw that smile in person in the grocery store. I recognized her coming through the door in a wheelchair and told her I was a big fan - then came that radiant smile! Dana told me they had been all day at the clinic and were coming in to get something good to eat - and yet Korrine was still smiling. Such bravery, courage, and wisdom in such a young and small body! It is understandable how Korrine has touched so many lives in such a positive, loving way. She has reminded us all of what is most important in life - to love and care for each other.
My thoughts and prayers are with all of you. I am grateful to Korrine for how she has spread her love to us all.
Namaste'
Donna Manning
Korrine,
I do not know you but heard of your courageous fight from a friend's email I live in Phoenix and will be praying for you and your family. I sing in my church choir so will lift up my voice for you too! You are an incredible inspiration. May God wrap His loving arms around you to keep you strong and full of His wondrous peace.
Korrine - I love reading all the wonderful thoughts, prayers and inspirational messages that come from everyone that you have touched. You are a blessing beyond words! I am praying that you have a restful Sunday night at home with your sweet family. We love you all and think of you all, ALL THE TIME!
With love and faith, The Aboumrad's
Korrine, what can I say? You're my hero. you have been through unthinkable, and still shine your sweet love of Jesus. Korrine, you are everyone's friend, you are sweet and generous and just an amazing girl. You keep your faith strong when you have so much struggle going on. you teach us all about what really matters, what life is about, you show us to not get down on the petty insignificant things. you are completely selfless! and are the strongest person i know.
Korrine, you have always been this way. it's your nature to be amazing. i've known you forever in trinity. we went to arizona together. you were the one to calm me down when i was nervous about starting waterpolo. you always have an amazing spirit and always light up wherever you go. Korrine you show the love of Jesus everywhere you go. You rock all of our worlds. Korrine you are amazing! I am always praying for you. Continued strength, and faith--in ways that no one can imagine. i believe in all these messages they all have one of the same ideas, after meeting Korrine, you won't forget it, and you won't be the same. All i can say, is i agree.
WE all love you Korrine and i am praying for you so much! LIVESTRONG!!!!!--Jaclyn
Korrine, what can I say? You're my hero. you have been through unthinkable, and still shine your sweet love of Jesus. Korrine, you are everyone's friend, you are sweet and generous and just an amazing girl. You keep your faith strong when you have so much struggle going on. you teach us all about what really matters, what life is about, you show us to not get down on the petty insignificant things. you are completely selfless! and are the strongest person i know.
Korrine, you have always been this way. it's your nature to be amazing. i've known you forever in trinity. we went to arizona together. you were the one to calm me down when i was nervous about starting waterpolo. you always have an amazing spirit and always light up wherever you go. Korrine you show the love of Jesus everywhere you go. You rock all of our worlds. Korrine you are amazing! I am always praying for you. Continued strength, and faith--in ways that no one can imagine. i believe in all these messages they all have one of the same ideas, after meeting Korrine, you won't forget it, and you won't be the same. All i can say, is i agree.
WE all love you Korrine and i am praying for you so much! LIVESTRONG!!!!!--Jaclyn
Good morning Korrine! If you are up to it, and need a laugh, check on the "Couldn't be true but it is" story on my blog today. Hope it makes you smile! Love, Lorri
Hey Korrine,
Just wanted you to know that you remain in our daily prayers. I hope you had a weekend of rest and healing and that you're feeling a bit better.
Prayers and hugs to you always.
The Thornton's
Good morning Croghan's! We hope that Monday is a good day for all of you, and that Korrine is having a pain free day today. We constantly think of you and pray for all of you.
I do not know Korrine or your family- but heard your story the beginning of the year through mutual friends (I get my hair done by Elizabeth at Uptown Girl). I have been following the website almost daily and praying for Korrine's full recovery. What an amazing child! The strength, courage and hope Korrine has had through all of this is an inspiration to all! She has touched so many lives and will continue to forever inspire so many people, not only in our community- but I am certain, around the world! My heart goes out to you all! After following Korrine's story- I try not to take anything for granted and enjoy every moment I have with those I love. I will continue to pray for Korrine that she is free of pain and can continue to fight this cancer! God Bless you all!
Good morning Korrine,
YOU ARE SO BEAUTIFUL! We hope you have a restful and peaceful Monday.
Thinking of you often,
The Campbell's
I was thinking of you today as I was enjoying the site of mist making a beautiful veil over the red and orange autumn trees in front of Joe Michell. The morning was such a witness to the beauty in this world, such as you are too~La mama de La Familia Cortez
I feel like I know Korinne better than I know many of the people in my own life, and I have never even met Korinne in person...just through this blog. I know Matt, and I know that Korine has inherited the Croghan spirit and drive and determination.
Korinne's spirit is kind, her soul is happy and at peace and her mind is strong. These traits have touched a community...a county...a state...a country. I feel honored to be praying Korinne.
And because of Korinne, I hug my children and husband more frequently. I watch and appreciate life more because of Korinne. My son is 6 and my daughter is 3...and sometimes, I just sit and watch them play with each other and soak it all in...because of Korinne. I had my sn's 6th birthday party this weekend and everyone there asked me if Ihad been able to find any A- blood, and everyone asked about Korinne. Korinne, you have touched so many lives and you have so many people praying for you. At 14 year old, you have changed so many lives. I can only hope to touch people like you have. Good for you, girl! God is smiling upon you.
Korrine and the whole Croghan family have made me appreciate each day and every smile that comes our way. Thank you...God Bless You...'Love you all very much.
Stephen and Rebecca
I love you Korrine!!!
Love Becca
Post a Comment