"Let no one ever come to you without leaving better and happier. Be the living expression of God's kindness; kindness in your face, kindness in your eyes, kindness in your smile, kindness in your warm greeting."
Mother Teresa
Cancer stripped her of everything including her life but it could not steal away God's LOVE, PEACE and the JOY that radiated through her. Korrine never stopped SMILING!
Korrine Lannie Croghan
Korrine Croghan was a vivacious 14-year-old girl who lived all of her life in Livermore, CA. She had a love for animals, sports, and most of all, family. Korrine was a straight “A” student while attending Mendenhall Middle School and was working hard in her first trimester at Granada High. She was a great friend to many and was everything that a brother, mother and father could ask for in a daughter. Korrine was the type of girl who would greet you with a wide smile and look into your eyes and truly would want to know how you were doing
Korrine & Cancer
On December 20th, 2007, Korrine was diagnosed with Choriocarcinoma with a germ cell element. Choriocarcinoma is a very rare type of cancer in teenage girls and inflicts less than 200 nationwide each year. Although the cancer started in her left ovary, the cancer had spread to her right ovary, lungs and liver. After the removal of a cantaloupe sized tumor in her left ovary on December 21st of 2007, Korrine, endured 10 months of intense chemotherapy designed for adult men.
During the course of her treatment, Korrine suffered many complications. In early April of 2007, her liver began to bleed. After staying at Kaiser Oakland for almost two weeks, Korrine was transfered to UCSF and spent a month in the intensive care unit. The doctors at UCSF Medical Center were finally able to stop her bleeding liver, but, not before it filled her abdomen with 5 liters of blood that had to be drained via a tube inserted into her stomach. On top of that, both of Korrines’ lungs collapsed while undergoing a CT scan that almost took her life. Because of that, 2 liters of fluid needed to be drained off of her lungs with the use of another drainage tube. Throughout her treatment Korrine needed numerous blood and platelet transfusions. She had nosebleeds that lasted an hour on several occasions. At one point, she had 18 intravenous tubes running through her body filled with anti-bacterials, anti-fungals, nutrition, painkillers and chemotherapy. Korrine miraculously made it through those tough days at UCSF and returned to Kaiser Hospital in Oakland. She was finally stable and was released to go home in late June. Just as things were starting to look up for her, she suffered septic shock in July that forced her to go back into intensive care at Kaiser in Santa Clara for 2 weeks.
Korrine returned home in late July and went through imaging scans to see if the cancer had disappeared. The scans always came back good, but not great. In an effort to kill and stop the remaining cancer cells, she underwent an emergency round of chemotherapy in early September. Unfortunately, it did kill the remaining cancer and her doctors had run out of options.
Korrine spent her last days at home with her family reading books and loving on her cats and dog. She passed away quietly, at home, on October 27th, 2008. Through it all, Korrine had a positive attitude and never gave up or complained. Many consider Korrine a hero.
Team KC
The Team KC website was originally started as a way to encourage, educate, raise awareness, and keep friends and family informed with accurate information on Korrine's treatment and progress. Family, classmates, friends, community members, and complete strangers rallied to support Korrine and her family through her fight against Choriocarcinoma. We were amazed by the amount of support we received, and it is now our desire to give back. In March, 2009, Team KC became an official nonprofit by joining forces with Kaiser Foundation Hospital. All monies raised by Team KC will directly benefit pediatric cancer patients and their families. All monetary contributions are tax deductible.
Our Mission: To help improve the quality of life of pediatric cancer patients and their families. We wish to supply children with fun activities, toys and anything else that will brighten and better their lives. Monies will also be used to help parents pay for bills and defray the costs of gas, food and lodging that go along with caring for a child with cancer.
Stay Positive, LIVESTRONG & Welcome to Team KC!
*This is the official Team KC website and the only website approved by the Croghan family. Please do not use content, images, or video from this site without permission. This is an effort to respect the family's privacy and ensure that all content is accurate and approved. Thank you for your cooperation.
A Note From Korrine (written after her 4th round of Chemo)...
Hello everyone! It's me, Korrine. I just wanted to take a
moment to thank each and every one of you for supporting me through emails,
visits, food, gifts, and most importantly, prayer. Without it, I probably
wouldn't have made it this far. Anyways, on a happier note, I am happy to
announce that I am feeling very good. This last round of chemo hit me pretty
hard, but I think that it is more exiting to end things with a big BANG! I will
try to start writing things for the blog now that my chemo therapy is over, but
until then, just know that I love every single one of you and I am always
thinking about my family, friends, and even the people who I've never met
before. Thanks for joining my battle and for making this experience "The
Experience of a Lifetime." LIVESTRONG! And stay positive.
Korrine Lannie Croghan
Korrine's most recent C.T. scan will be discussed at Tumor Board next week. Korrine's doctor talked about Korrine's case in Munich, Germany. At a conference where Germ Cell Cancer was also discussed. In a study from the University of Virginia it is said that 2.4 children out of a million may get this form of cancer. Ovarian Mixed Germ Cell Choriocarcinoma is very rare in children.
Korrine's doctor said Korrine will be watched extremely close. She is to be seen in the Oncology Clinic once a week and our home nurse will continue to see Korrine twice a week. We always get scared when she say's her side hurts. As for now her side continues to bother her and this is of concern. Korrine looks good, is eating and want's to get out and do as much as she possibly can. So we will continue to enjoy each day to it's fullest and get thru the difficult days as best we can.
Some very exciting news:
Mitchell Katz winery will bottle a very special 2006 Cabernet for Team K.C. (On behalf of Korrine and Korrine's desire to help others). In roughly two weeks they will put a special Team K.C. label on the 2006 Cabernet and they will sell it in their winery. The bottle will sell for $20.00 and $7.00 of the sale will go to Pediatric Cancer Patients and their families in need. The money will also help to give the pediatric cancer patients things to do while staying in the hospital and at the clinic. Korrine and our family would like to give back to Kaiser Oakland Pediatric Oncology as they service the entire bay area and they receive no special funding and can not do fund raisers to get the things they need for the children in the hospitals and clinic. This will enable them to get much needed movies, games, toys etc. Also it will help give gas cards, grocery cards etc. to families struggling to make ends meet in the middle of a life threatining illness. Please join Mitchell Katz Winery and Team K.C. in giving back to children with cancer and their families. Our deepest "Thank You" to the Katz family. Wine can be purchased in the tasing room at: Mitchell Katz Winery 1188 Vineyard Avenue, Pleasanton, Calif. 925-931-0744.

We love you and ask that you would keep praying for Korrine to be free of pain and completely healed of this cancer.
Stay Positive and LiveSTRONG
Dana and Matt Croghan
23 comments:
Dana, Matt, Sean and Korrine~
Thank you for the update. You all continue to be in my thoughts and prayers. You remind us to enjoy every day. Thank you.
How exciting about the winery... I can't wait to get mine!!
Much love,
Sue
Korrine,
I am thinking about you all the time... hoping and praying that the pain goes away, the cancer is gone, and that you are comfortable, enjoying your family and friends.
Sean,
You are also always in my thoughts and prayers. I know it has to be hard to watch your sister not feeling well and your Mom and Dad so worried. I can tell you that no matter how old our children get, we parents ALWAYS worry! My girls are 23, 26, and 30... and I worry all the time.
Dana and Matt,
Thinking of you always! I'll be sure to visit Mitchell Katz! I'm going to think about how I can creatively find a way to take orders at work. I'm going to call the winery tomorrow and get specifics on the date of release.
hugs and much love to you all, kathy t.
We appreciate all that you are sharing with us as your family goes through this trying time. As we check on Korrine's progress, it's good to see updates so that we can pray along with you through the tough times and also rejoice with you when days are good.
Enjoy each precious moment with Korrine, as we all continue to pray for her complete healing!
So many are touched by your amazing family.
God bless,
Diane Shore
Korrine-
We are praying for you! LiveSTRONG!
Dearest Croghan family~
You all continue to be in my thoughts and prayers.
And to you especially, Korrine, I will not stop praying for your pain to end, and for you to be completely healed of the cancer.
I believe with all my heart that God will continue to wrap you in his Healing Love and you WILL be cancer free!
It would be my pleasure to purchase a few bottles of wine to help out with this great cause and need. It's so wonderful of Mitchell Katz Winery to be doing this, and I will definitely tell all my friends as well!
Go Team KC!!! Yay!!!
It's also wonderful of YOU to want to give back. However, please know you already have. Sharing your experiences with so many people has brought together your community, and more importantly, individual families. We have witnessed such love and grace from each one of you: Matt, Dana, Korrine and Sean. I think we are all holding our children a little longer and tighter and the "I love you's" have increased tenfold!
I think I can speak for everyone when I say we feel Blessed to have been part of your journey ... and we will not give up!!!
Korrine, may tomorrow be one of your especially GOOD days filled with a lot of *laughter*!!! :)
Love and hugs~
Cindy Brian
Korrine,
We are so excited to hear you are feeling a bit better and getting out and about. YOU made Paige's day today...she was so surprised and thrilled to get a text from you. Keep them coming.
We pray for and think of you all so often. Our prayer is for complete healing and the opportunity to be used by God to share an amazing testimony some day. You have already touched so many lives and so many more are still waiting to be touched. You are truly amazing and inspirational!
We are looking forward to getting some of the Team KC Cabernet! What a great gift to give to our friends and neighbors for Christmas. The gift with a gift back! Perfect.
The Bauer Family
You've been on my mind all day. : ) Have I ever told you I love your smile. I suppose maybe once or twice.
Korrine, Dana, Matt & Sean.. you are amazing. I'm feeling so blessed to call you my friends.
Hang in, Korrine. I know you do! Our prayers continue constantly.
G'night.. sleep tight!
Croghans! Okay! I sooo did not read a 'sorry'! We pray with you, cry with you, and rejoice with you; hence, the name 'Team' KC! =)
We love you guys so much and are praying even tonight for a blessed rest, peace, healing and strength for a new day!
God bless and sweet dreams!
Love,
The Gilberts
Dear Korrine, Dana, Matt & Sean,
You are all so amazing to keep on going to battle for so long and be ready to give back to the rest of us who may need the help. Our hope for you is that they quickly and correctly identify the reason for Korrine's pain. We pray they work with speed and accuracy and Korrine
is free of cancer.
Love from,
Renee
Korrine~ I hope you are feeling better! You are in my thoughts and prayers! You are my inspiration!
Love always,
Audrey Walke
We continue to pray for Sean, Matt Dana and Korrine,
With much love and respect,
Liz Ben Pam James
LiveStrong
Thank you Father for this beautiful family, thinking of others when your own family is in crisis is such a wonderful awesome blessing and witness to those around them.. I lift up sweet Korrine and her entire family, I pray that they continue to grab each day and love on each other. We only get one day at a time and they are examples to all of us Lord on how to live and let go. Thank you Lord for sending Korrine to be with such a wonderful family
Thank you for their continued example of what Christ is truly like. May this day be blessed for each of them. Amen
Korrine,
Our whole family watches your updates and waits for good reports, but more importantly, we send prayers which is helping, along with countless others who are praying also, and will continue to pray. You are a real trooper and we can already see you healed. Keep up the good work. Katz wine sounds great..
Love from Ian and debby and family
Hi Korrine,
How awesome to have a wine bottled in your honor! I'm glad you are going out and living and doing as much as you can. You inspire me. I love you.
Rosalyn
Korrine...I'm sorry you aren't getting the typical teenager experience in life, but you are getting something better: the life that God laid out for you to bring Him great glory. You are sweet, beautiful, and loved. I thank God for you and who you are. Bless you tonight...Lorri
Korrine and Family,
We will continue to pray for you all! Stay positive and rest!
Hello Beautiful People!! We continue to love you and pray for you. Feel better Korrine and stay super strong.
Wendy
Hi Croghans!
Thinking of you all this morning and wanted to wish you a happy Monday. Hope you had a good weekend and are feeling much better, with no pain.
Love ya!
Sue
Dear Croghan's,
Thank you for the continued updates - what a rollercoaster of ups and downs - We were sorry to read that Korrine's side is giving her some problems, but we are praying that all turns out well and that she feels better soon. Your family continues to be in our daily prayers.
Love to all-
The Thornton's
PS - Can't wait for the wine to come out!
Good morning Korrine,
I am praying for you. Each morning I read this blog to get an update. Many times during the night God will call me to pray for you. Our Triune God is with you each and every moment. I am positive that God is healing in you, even if it doesn't feel like it. I am sorry for your pain as you heal.
Dana and Matt thank you for allowing us, your prayer team, to walk this path with you.
Sean you are not overlooked. Please know that I pray for you just because you are you!
Hi Croghi!
It was so great seeing you at the water polo games last week! I know everyone else loved seeing you too. I am praying that the pain in your side is alleviated quickly and that the recent CT scan brings very good news! God Bless,
Mary Rosa
Hi Croghan Family,
Just a quick hello on a Monday morning! I'm taking a few vacation days so I actually get to visit your site during the day.
I've been thinking about you all weekend... hoping that Korrine's side pains have gone away. I'm praying for healing and strength, comfort and peace!
hugs and much love, kathy t.
Korrine,
I am praying for your pain to go away. For you to be able to smile, enjoy time with your family and pets. i hope some of your pals are able to come and see you. You've been through so much my dear, I know you'
ve heard this a thousand times, but you really are the stronegst girl I know, your mom is the next. I see your face every time I hug my children extra tight.
Kristi Haskins
Post a Comment