"Let no one ever come to you without leaving better and happier. Be the living expression of God's kindness; kindness in your face, kindness in your eyes, kindness in your smile, kindness in your warm greeting."
Mother Teresa

Smile

Cancer stripped her of everything including her life but it could not steal away God's LOVE, PEACE and the JOY that radiated through her. Korrine never stopped SMILING!
Korrine Lannie Croghan

Korrine Croghan was a vivacious 14-year-old girl who lived all of her life in Livermore, CA. She had a love for animals, sports, and most of all, family. Korrine was a straight “A” student while attending Mendenhall Middle School and was working hard in her first trimester at Granada High. She was a great friend to many and was everything that a brother, mother and father could ask for in a daughter. Korrine was the type of girl who would greet you with a wide smile and look into your eyes and truly would want to know how you were doing

Korrine & Cancer

On December 20th, 2007, Korrine was diagnosed with Choriocarcinoma with a germ cell element. Choriocarcinoma is a very rare type of cancer in teenage girls and inflicts less than 200 nationwide each year. Although the cancer started in her left ovary, the cancer had spread to her right ovary, lungs and liver. After the removal of a cantaloupe sized tumor in her left ovary on December 21st of 2007, Korrine, endured 10 months of intense chemotherapy designed for adult men.

During the course of her treatment, Korrine suffered many complications. In early April of 2007, her liver began to bleed. After staying at Kaiser Oakland for almost two weeks, Korrine was transfered to UCSF and spent a month in the intensive care unit. The doctors at UCSF Medical Center were finally able to stop her bleeding liver, but, not before it filled her abdomen with 5 liters of blood that had to be drained via a tube inserted into her stomach. On top of that, both of Korrines’ lungs collapsed while undergoing a CT scan that almost took her life. Because of that, 2 liters of fluid needed to be drained off of her lungs with the use of another drainage tube. Throughout her treatment Korrine needed numerous blood and platelet transfusions. She had nosebleeds that lasted an hour on several occasions. At one point, she had 18 intravenous tubes running through her body filled with anti-bacterials, anti-fungals, nutrition, painkillers and chemotherapy. Korrine miraculously made it through those tough days at UCSF and returned to Kaiser Hospital in Oakland. She was finally stable and was released to go home in late June. Just as things were starting to look up for her, she suffered septic shock in July that forced her to go back into intensive care at Kaiser in Santa Clara for 2 weeks.

Korrine returned home in late July and went through imaging scans to see if the cancer had disappeared. The scans always came back good, but not great. In an effort to kill and stop the remaining cancer cells, she underwent an emergency round of chemotherapy in early September. Unfortunately, it did kill the remaining cancer and her doctors had run out of options.

Korrine spent her last days at home with her family reading books and loving on her cats and dog. She passed away quietly, at home, on October 27th, 2008. Through it all, Korrine had a positive attitude and never gave up or complained. Many consider Korrine a hero.

Team KC

The Team KC website was originally started as a way to encourage, educate, raise awareness, and keep friends and family informed with accurate information on Korrine's treatment and progress. Family, classmates, friends, community members, and complete strangers rallied to support Korrine and her family through her fight against Choriocarcinoma. We were amazed by the amount of support we received, and it is now our desire to give back. In March, 2009, Team KC became an official nonprofit by joining forces with Kaiser Foundation Hospital. All monies raised by Team KC will directly benefit pediatric cancer patients and their families. All monetary contributions are tax deductible.

Our Mission: To help improve the quality of life of pediatric cancer patients and their families. We wish to supply children with fun activities, toys and anything else that will brighten and better their lives. Monies will also be used to help parents pay for bills and defray the costs of gas, food and lodging that go along with caring for a child with cancer.

Stay Positive, LIVESTRONG & Welcome to Team KC!

*This is the official Team KC website and the only website approved by the Croghan family. Please do not use content, images, or video from this site without permission. This is an effort to respect the family's privacy and ensure that all content is accurate and approved. Thank you for your cooperation.
A Note From Korrine (written after her 4th round of Chemo)...

Hello everyone! It's me, Korrine. I just wanted to take a
moment to thank each and every one of you for supporting me through emails,
visits, food, gifts, and most importantly, prayer. Without it, I probably
wouldn't have made it this far. Anyways, on a happier note, I am happy to
announce that I am feeling very good. This last round of chemo hit me pretty
hard, but I think that it is more exiting to end things with a big BANG! I will
try to start writing things for the blog now that my chemo therapy is over, but
until then, just know that I love every single one of you and I am always
thinking about my family, friends, and even the people who I've never met
before. Thanks for joining my battle and for making this experience "The
Experience of a Lifetime." LIVESTRONG! And stay positive.

Korrine Lannie Croghan

Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Thinking of You

Last week was filled with Dental Exams, Pet Scans, Cat Scans, and Blood Draws and Blood Transfusions (Platelets and Red Blood) and of course our home visits from our wonderful nurse.  We are waiting for the test results to come in.  Waiting is tough.  Today was a precious day.  We enjoy our time together.  Korrine was missing school so we called her teacher and she came over to the house and Korrine started her first day as a freshman in high school at home.  This was special.  Today was a good day,  Korrine was able to go for a little walk to one of our favorite places to walk.  The wheel chair came in handy on the way back. She did great a small walk but last week she wouldn't have been able to walk it at all.  She even got a pet fish.  Matt is back to work as of last week and Dana is caring for Korrine, Sean, home and of course the pets.


We feel so blessed that Korrine remains at home and we see improvements every day.  Please do not become weary in praying for Korrine.  We believe she can and will overcome this cancer.  
We should get the test results in this week and we will let you know the results and what our next course of action will be.  

As for now we love all of you and ask that you would continue praying for Korrine.  Lets never give up praying for her as she will never give up until the cancer is gone.

Stay Positive and LiveSTRONG
Dana and Matt Croghan

45 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dearest Croghan family..
You are all loved so very much. We will keep you ALL in our prayers.

Korrine: keep growing stronger, knowing that God's plan for you is AWESOME! You are a beautiful young woman, and God will bless you more than you could know.

Matt & Dana: May God continue to give you strength each day, and the knowledge that you are loved and prayed for.

Sean: you are a wonderful brother, and such an example of LOVE.
God bless you all in each day.
The Ruth Family..

Anonymous said...

Dana, Matt, & Sean,

I would never grow weary of praying for Korrine to be healed, and for strength and peace for all of you. I think of and pray for Korrine every single day. I pray all the time that she will be completely healed of this cancer. I also pray that God will bless all of you. She pops into my mind many times, then I pray for all of you, and for her complete healing. I pray that Korrine can feel God's presence surround her. I pray the same for you. It is undescribably hard to think of what you go through worrying about what your precious Korrine is going through. I do get impatient, I know we cannot see the whole picture. I just want her healthy and happy now. Right now! Sean, I also pray for you. I know how much you just want your sister back, healthy, happy, and doing all the busy things we all tend to complain about, but would now be so happy to do. You have also had to carry so much more worry than you should. God loves you so much, and sees exactly how you feel. Prayer is powerful, and their is certainly an army of prayer warriors that won't stop until Korrine is healthy again.

Love,
Yolanda (I work where your dad and uncle work)

Rosalyn said...

Sweet sweet Croghan Family, we will never grow weary of praying for you. When YOU grow weary, please know the Saints are covering you in prayer. We love you and believe with you and sometimes when you are just too tired, for you.

Anonymous said...

Hi Matt, Dana, Sean, and Miss Korrine, :)

'So good to hear from you all. Glad u were able to walk a bit (we are avid walkers) and 'glad u have a new pet fish. Pets are a great healing. I remember many times our ol' german shorthair pointer really helped during time of need for physical healing.

Anywho, love you guys very much. We pray for you DAILY. We are a little back on track from being outa' town...sorry for the sleepy email the other day. :) Keep trusting in the Lord! Last night in my devotion time, it spoke of how God knows every little detail and pain and struggle we are going thru...every single tiny thing we deal with. Hang in there...lighter days are comin'.
Love, Stephen and Rebecca

Anonymous said...

Korrine and Family,

Thank you so much for the update! Congratulations on starting your freshman year Korrine! I am so proud of you and I will never stop praying that you can join your classmates at school.

How wonderful to hear that you went out for a small walk. The day was hot, but beautiful. Keep fighting and growing strong Korrine. It must be so hard to wait for your test results. We are all praying that the treatments are working and that you hear good news. You so deserve to hear that Korrine is winning her fight with cancer.

Matt and Sean...I hope going back to school is going well for you both. It can be exciting and stessful. i have a wonderful class of kindergartners this year! I feel so blessed.

Dana...I know that you are working so hard to care for your family and I will pray that you have the strength to keep going. You are a wonderful mom and wife.

Bless you all!

Cindy Vance

PS. Korrine, if you want to see my son Matt playing guitar, you can check him out on YouTube. Just type in Matt Vance guitar. He is a junior at Amador this year. Send me an e-mail if you can cvance1111@aol.com. Love you!

debrabrumbaugh said...

We will NEVER weary of offering prayers for Korrine!! Or for the rest of your family for that matter! You're stuck with us. :) :) Wishing you a most happy September ... my fave month of the year as it brings us the wonderful Fall season and all the fun stuff that entails! Enjoy every little thing that each and every day offers you. And happy studying!! :)
XOXOXOXOXO
Debra, Kyle and MacKenzie

Anonymous said...

Korrine-
Glad to hear that you have gained enough strength to go for a little walk! That is cool that you started your first day of school at home!
Stay strong, and we are praying for you!
LiveSTRONG!

Anonymous said...

Dear Croghans,
Never think anyone could become weary of prayers for Korrine and your entire family! What better thing to do than think positive thoughts for such a special group of people.

Korrine, all the best as you start 9th grade. I'm looking forward to the time when your blog will have a report of your first day back in school with your friends. You will get there!

Love,
Candy, Mark, Sam and Molly Johnson

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear that Korrine had a great day today. So glad she enjoyed her walk and that she continues to be able to be at home where so belongs. She continues to amaze us everyday, having the will and the strength to do home school, that is truely amazing!
Korrine we never give up hope and we never stop praying and never will. You are such an inspiration to us all and we are routing for you every second we can. Keep smiling Beautiful Girl!

Matt and Dana you are the best parents I have ever met. We can all only hope that we do such a good job as you do. You give your children such unconditional love each and every day and you can tell in each of them just how special they are and how much they appreciate you both.

Matt I wish you the best of luck going back to work and Dana please let us know if you need help with anything. It is overwhelming enough to care for kids and households under normal circumstances, dont be afraid to ask because we all would love to help. Please let us know if you could ever use a helping hand.

Dana it was great to see you today and was so happy to be able to give you a hug. You are always so possitive and it was great to hear that today was a good day!

Sean it is always so great to see you and your smiling face at school I look forward to it everyday. You are an amazing brother and son and a wonderful friend to so many people. Your smile is just like your sisters it brightens everyones day and makes them smile too.

May God Bless you all Croghan's and may he heal your beautiful Korrine once and for all.

Much love
The Riddiough Family

Kathy Scarbrough said...

Dear Croghans,
What wonderful news to hear that you had a spectacular day. How nice that you can appreciate something like schoolwork or a walk, something sometimes we take for granted. May God continue to hold you in His hands.
We love you!
Mrs. Scarbrough

Anonymous said...

Korrine,

Wow, freshman year!  I'm glad your tutor was able to come visit and that you've been out walking in this beautiful weather.  It has been good seeing your Dad at work... but I'm sure he'd rather be home with you, Mom and Sean.

We still had kids coming in this afternoon to enroll in school!  I guess they didn't realize that it really started last week.  Being the school secretary you see all the excitement and nervousness with both students and teachers.  Yes, you wouldn't think teachers would get nervous but they sometimes do.  Just like students, they come to work in new school clothes, excited to start the school year.

As for the students, the 6th graders look so little and aren't quite sure about this big school.  We make them feel comfortable and welcome... and the year moves along.

Of course our prayers and positive thoughts will continue for the whole Croghan family!  That never-ending circle of faith and love on my wrist (LIVESTRONG) will be there until the day we know Korrine is FREE from cancer!

hugs and love, kathy t.

Anonymous said...

Weary is the last thing I feel about praying for you! I feel energized and reminded of he HOPE we have in Christ! Thank you for letting us share in your journey, through prayer, education (I've learned SO much about cancer in general through your struggle, sweet girl), anecdotes and all the rest. Wearing the name "Team KC" is an honor and a privilege. It carries the responsibility of prayer with it.

Blessings & hugs,

Arla and family

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on starting High School today!!!! Just another milestone for our girl. From our adorable preschool friend to a striking, vibrant Freshman.
Prayers and faith will continue for all of you.
With love and support,
The Shull Family

Anonymous said...

We would never get weary of praying for a wonderful family.

LiveStrong and Peacefully,

Ben Pam James and Liz

Lorri said...

Hi Guys...thanks for the update, I check on you every day and have been wondering what you are up to!

Korrine, I'm glad you got to start school and got a fish - what's its name?

Maybe you could start writing some random blog posts and you could turn them in for English extra credits! Think about it, I know we would all love to hear your words!

I hate waiting for results too. I'm praying for you guys! Love, Lorri

Anonymous said...

Of course we won't give up! Lord, bring the healing! God bless you all.

Anonymous said...

How wonderful to hear of the joy and prayers that continue to bless you and your family, Korrine. Isn't it the small moments in life that are filled with happiness and love that we truly cherish.

I don't know your family personally, so this morning when I recognized your dad at the Tennis Club around dark o'clock, I didn't bother him. Seeing him made me think of you, and I'm thankful that our paths crossed because then I came home to check your blog. And, it is filled with the news of your walk and beginning high school.

Our daily prayers continue! La Familia Cortez

Anonymous said...

Dear All,
Thank you for the update - It's so great to hear that Korrine has been up and about, taking walks, starting her Freshman year of school! We will continue to pray for the entire family and for Korrine's complete healing.
Hugs,
The Thornton's

Anonymous said...

Dear Korrine,Dana,Matt & Sean,
We are so glad to hear that Korrine is getting up and out and that things are getting back to somewhat normal for you all. Korrine and you all are constantly in our thoughts and prayers. We pray that God would heal her completely. Be strong, Croghans!
We love and miss you,
The McNairs

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Korrine! It sounds like you had a pretty wonderful week! I hope you like your new teacher. I continue to pray for you. I think of you often. I cant wait to hear the results of your test. Continue to Inspire... Stay Brave.

LIVEstrong!
With Love,
Audrey Walke

Anonymous said...

Dear Croghan Family,

Amen to those who have sent the prayers ahead of me. I too pray for each of you to feel the peace of God which passes all understanding. God knows your need and is there for you. Today may you be blessed by this scripture verse:

Psalm 42:8 By day the LORD directs his love, at night his song is with me — a prayer to the God of my life.

God calls me to prayer for you both day and night Korrine, Dana, Matt and Sean. That is my promise to all of you. I will continue to pray as you have requested.

Janet Hemmig said...

Dear Croghan Family,

I woke this morning with Korrine in my thoughts and immediately said a prayer for her. I was so happy to see that she had been out for a walk and is already back at her studies. We will never grow tired of praying for you all.

I have a picture of Korrine at work along with the poem by Mother Teresa. It is a constant reminder to me of your incredible family. You have taught us all so much during this journey.

I miss seeing you all at school. Hope to see you soon.

Love, Janet (Kyle & Chad send their love too).

Anonymous said...

Sending positive energy. Every day I think of you all, and every day I send positive energy your way. A small walk on your own is a great thing! Slowly, but surely, your strength returns.

Congratulations on high school. It's hard to believe how quickly time passes, and such a milestone this is.

Love,

Linda Morrison
aka "Ceilidh's Mom"
:)

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the wonderful update! So glad Korrine is able to be at home. We think of you and pray for you every day.

May God bless your week.

Love, The Nagy Family

Anonymous said...

For us Women,

I would like all of us women to go out and buy L'Oreal Paris Color of Hope Infallible Lipstick. ($12).
For the month of September $2 from every sale goes to the Ovarian Cancer Research Fund.

Thank you,
Dana Croghan

Anonymous said...

Dear Croghan Family,
We will definately keep the prayers coming for Korrine's complete healing and her return to school. Laura mentioned to me last night that she is looking forward to seeing Korrine at Granada and she hopes they will have some classes together this year.
Rest and regain your strength sweet Korrine. We are all praying for the day you return to school and the activities you have put aside for awhile.
You are an amazing family and through your actions and words, have shown the community how to truly love and lift each other up.
God Bless,
The Franklin Family

Anonymous said...

Dear Korrine and family
No one who has ever laid eyes on you could grow weary of praying for you and wishing you strength and complete healing. Your beautiful face and grace is an inspiration to us all. You amazing Croghans give all of us a reason to believe!! Always in my thoughts and prayers.
julie gilmore

Sue said...

Hi CutiePie!!

So glad to hear that it's been a good week, although I'm sure the waiting is tough. Know that you are in my thoughts and prayers daily, and that I am so in awe of the fight and strength in you!
How fantastic to get out and take a little walk, and in one of your favorite places? Excellent! And how great to get started on your freshman year of high school. You go girl!!

Thinking of you and sending a bundle of love,
Sue

Anonymous said...

Hi Croghans,
Just wanted you to know that the kids in both the High School and Junior High ministries at Crosswinds Church are praying regularly for Korrine. We are looking forward to the day when she can join us for her first EPIC activity.
If she'd ever like to see what's happening in the high school group, she can check www.epicupdates.com.
We will keep on praying!!
Mike Mason
Youth Pastor

Anonymous said...

Thank you soooo much for the update Matt & Dana. I will never stop praying for Korrine as when the cancer is gone i pray for things like h20 olympics and mr. right and wonderful wedding days and so forth, all for Korrine as she has eaqrned it millions of times over. So How wonderful prayer is....... like I KNOW SHE ALREADYS KNOW THAT. Again Thank you so much for the update. We love all of you sooooo much
Big Hugs,
Karen & Wally Boswell
Friends of your Uncle Mark & Auntie Denise

Anonymous said...

I sincerely hope and pray that Korrine and her family can feel all the love and prayers we are sending their way. Bravery, faithfulness, persistence and so many other fantastic qualities like we've never seen before. God must surely be in their lives.
Mary Kay and Don Loose
St. Peter's

Anonymous said...

Korrine and Family,

We are happy to hear that you are gaining strength and venturing out for a little walking trips, which in turn will make you stronger. Nice circle of events.

Please never think we will grow weary in prayer for you all. God has placed us here to be the behind the scene warriors on your behalf to help keep YOU from growing weary...so keep the prayer requests coming and we will stay on our knees lifting you all up.

Korrine congrats on your first day in high school. I know the kids at school are looking as forward to having you join them at GHS as much as you are wanting to get there, and you will, when the time is right.

Keep resting, healing and stregthening and we will keep praying. God bless you.

The Bauer Family

Lorri said...

Hi Korrine...Just popping in to say hello! I'm praying that you are starting to have less pain and more appetite! Hope you have moments of laughter and lots of smiles today. Love, Lorri

Anonymous said...

My dear sweet Dana! THANKS for the tip! I need lipstick.. what wonderul timing. ;)

Love you,

arla

Sue said...

Hi Korrine!

Just poppin in to say hi and send my love. Hope you got to enjoy something cool today like a Jamba Juice, a milkshake or an ice cream... or something that makes you smile on a hot day like today.

Love ya!
Sue


**For anyone looking for the Color of Hope lipstick, I hear they carry it at Longs. WalMart and Target don't have it as of today.

Anonymous said...

We are all THINKING OF YOU, Croghi! We hope to see you at RLCC for some granada polo games!
Love and Prayers,
The Rosa girls

Jill said...

Thinking of you all. It was great to see Korrine in the pool pictures. Korrine you look beautiful. love, jill klinke hoffman

Paredez Family said...

Hi Korrine, So glad to hear you are doing well, and getting out and about. You are in our prayers daily and if you ever need a craft partner you know that Katie is just around the corner. Love the Paredez Family

Anonymous said...

I am running out to purchase my lipstick today! I just wanted you to know that, hope it is my color regardless of that any donations to cancer research is one to support. Keep feeling better Korrine and I will continue for great test results.

Anonymous said...

Korrine and family, You continue to be such an inspiration to all of us who read this blog daily. Our prayers for your comfort and healing will continue as long as it takes to make you well. An illness like this happens to the whole family and our prayers are for all of you. Korrine, you are the strongest person I know physically and spiritually. In our prayers forever.

The Wilson Family

Rosalyn said...

Hi Korrine,
Just wanted to wish you a happy Friday! It's still hot and summer like outside. I hope you get a chance to swim again before the weather changes.
We love you and continue to pray with great expectation!
Love the Esmeyer Family

Lorri said...

Hi Croghans...Tune into all the major networks at 8 pm for Stand Up to Cancer...fundraising for cancer research.

Praying as always...remembering you are in His Good Hands.

Love, Lorri

Anonymous said...

Korrine,
It is wonderful to hear that you are able to go out. Every step you take is a step towards healing.
We never tire of praying for you.
I see your Mom at school almost everyday. She is a ray of sunshine to us all. I am so glad that Sean and Clelia have class together this year.
We all pray for your continued strength and healing.
Take care,
Jean Opipari

Anonymous said...

Still praying for you Korrine! Keep fighting and make sure to protect your new fish from your pretty kitties! :) Karen

Anonymous said...

I am not religious, yet I still pray for Korrine, with the hope that if it just so happens to help, I will have done everything I possibly can.