"Let no one ever come to you without leaving better and happier. Be the living expression of God's kindness; kindness in your face, kindness in your eyes, kindness in your smile, kindness in your warm greeting."
Mother Teresa

Smile

Cancer stripped her of everything including her life but it could not steal away God's LOVE, PEACE and the JOY that radiated through her. Korrine never stopped SMILING!
Korrine Lannie Croghan

Korrine Croghan was a vivacious 14-year-old girl who lived all of her life in Livermore, CA. She had a love for animals, sports, and most of all, family. Korrine was a straight “A” student while attending Mendenhall Middle School and was working hard in her first trimester at Granada High. She was a great friend to many and was everything that a brother, mother and father could ask for in a daughter. Korrine was the type of girl who would greet you with a wide smile and look into your eyes and truly would want to know how you were doing

Korrine & Cancer

On December 20th, 2007, Korrine was diagnosed with Choriocarcinoma with a germ cell element. Choriocarcinoma is a very rare type of cancer in teenage girls and inflicts less than 200 nationwide each year. Although the cancer started in her left ovary, the cancer had spread to her right ovary, lungs and liver. After the removal of a cantaloupe sized tumor in her left ovary on December 21st of 2007, Korrine, endured 10 months of intense chemotherapy designed for adult men.

During the course of her treatment, Korrine suffered many complications. In early April of 2007, her liver began to bleed. After staying at Kaiser Oakland for almost two weeks, Korrine was transfered to UCSF and spent a month in the intensive care unit. The doctors at UCSF Medical Center were finally able to stop her bleeding liver, but, not before it filled her abdomen with 5 liters of blood that had to be drained via a tube inserted into her stomach. On top of that, both of Korrines’ lungs collapsed while undergoing a CT scan that almost took her life. Because of that, 2 liters of fluid needed to be drained off of her lungs with the use of another drainage tube. Throughout her treatment Korrine needed numerous blood and platelet transfusions. She had nosebleeds that lasted an hour on several occasions. At one point, she had 18 intravenous tubes running through her body filled with anti-bacterials, anti-fungals, nutrition, painkillers and chemotherapy. Korrine miraculously made it through those tough days at UCSF and returned to Kaiser Hospital in Oakland. She was finally stable and was released to go home in late June. Just as things were starting to look up for her, she suffered septic shock in July that forced her to go back into intensive care at Kaiser in Santa Clara for 2 weeks.

Korrine returned home in late July and went through imaging scans to see if the cancer had disappeared. The scans always came back good, but not great. In an effort to kill and stop the remaining cancer cells, she underwent an emergency round of chemotherapy in early September. Unfortunately, it did kill the remaining cancer and her doctors had run out of options.

Korrine spent her last days at home with her family reading books and loving on her cats and dog. She passed away quietly, at home, on October 27th, 2008. Through it all, Korrine had a positive attitude and never gave up or complained. Many consider Korrine a hero.

Team KC

The Team KC website was originally started as a way to encourage, educate, raise awareness, and keep friends and family informed with accurate information on Korrine's treatment and progress. Family, classmates, friends, community members, and complete strangers rallied to support Korrine and her family through her fight against Choriocarcinoma. We were amazed by the amount of support we received, and it is now our desire to give back. In March, 2009, Team KC became an official nonprofit by joining forces with Kaiser Foundation Hospital. All monies raised by Team KC will directly benefit pediatric cancer patients and their families. All monetary contributions are tax deductible.

Our Mission: To help improve the quality of life of pediatric cancer patients and their families. We wish to supply children with fun activities, toys and anything else that will brighten and better their lives. Monies will also be used to help parents pay for bills and defray the costs of gas, food and lodging that go along with caring for a child with cancer.

Stay Positive, LIVESTRONG & Welcome to Team KC!

*This is the official Team KC website and the only website approved by the Croghan family. Please do not use content, images, or video from this site without permission. This is an effort to respect the family's privacy and ensure that all content is accurate and approved. Thank you for your cooperation.
A Note From Korrine (written after her 4th round of Chemo)...

Hello everyone! It's me, Korrine. I just wanted to take a
moment to thank each and every one of you for supporting me through emails,
visits, food, gifts, and most importantly, prayer. Without it, I probably
wouldn't have made it this far. Anyways, on a happier note, I am happy to
announce that I am feeling very good. This last round of chemo hit me pretty
hard, but I think that it is more exiting to end things with a big BANG! I will
try to start writing things for the blog now that my chemo therapy is over, but
until then, just know that I love every single one of you and I am always
thinking about my family, friends, and even the people who I've never met
before. Thanks for joining my battle and for making this experience "The
Experience of a Lifetime." LIVESTRONG! And stay positive.

Korrine Lannie Croghan

Saturday, May 24, 2008

Today's Prayer Requests May 24, 2008

Team K.C. It is so hard to watch your daughter suffer. Todays prayer requests in addition to previous requests: Pray that the cancer will be gone forever, She is in terrible Pain, We pray the pain will stop, Pray that her heart rate and blood pressure return to normal. Nausea is intense as she is fighting an adult cancer with adult chemotherapy. Pray the nausea will stop. We pray No More suffering for Korrine. Thank you for not giving up. We thank you for your continued prayers and support. Unity is Strength!
Stay Positive and LiveSTRONG
Dana and Matt

39 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stay strong!

Thank you for the specific prayer request, we will pray for everything you ask for. Staying in out thoughts always.

the Young Family

Go Team K.C.
LiveSTRONG

Anonymous said...

Hi korrine, my name is Nicole Mingione i am on your swimteam and i go to your school. i hope you are feeling better and i want you to no that i have been praying for you every night! you are soooo strong and faithful, you are fighting so hard and i cant belive what you are goin through. I admire you in so many ways! I hope you are better soon and to see you in the pool again! god bless you! love nicole

Anonymous said...

Dear Dana, Matt, Korrine & Sean,

We love you and and want you to know that we are with you heart & soul and look forward to the day we can celebrate Korrine's total and complete healing.

Korrine we are praying that you will feel better with each passing hour. The chemo is brutal, but will do it's job. You have a awesome view from your room and as you look out, picture yourself out there real soon!

Until then just rest (Jesus said. . . "come to Me all you who are weary and I will give you REST.") Team KC is praying faithfully and we are all cheering you on.

And a group of wonderful ladies from CV First Church in Castro Valley, made four quilts for you. We will get them to you sometime this weekend. You get to pick one and then give the other three away :) They are beautiful, and I know that you will really like them!

Today is Cousin Tristen's 25th BD. Uncle Mark and I are taking her out to lunch today to celebrate! Her kitty KC is so cute. She is too young to bring for a visit, so we will bring you a picture for your wall.

You are doing such a good job Korrine! Keep it up!

Much love to you today and every day sweet one!

Auntie Denise & Uncle Mark

Rosalyn said...

Hi Korrine,
We haven't stopped praying for you at all. We've been celebrating your vicotries along the way the past couple of weeks. Just last night at dinner my husband and I were marveling at your courage and strength. You Auntie and I were doing the same over lunch the other day. You are a large part of so many lives, MANY you don't even know yet. We are holding fast to the hope we have. We are all still loving you and believing with you. Your body has been working so hard. Today I am thinking it's really doing battle for you. Try to rest and let the prayers of the Saints, Team KC and your body do the work. Rest your weary head and heart to God. He loves you.

Anonymous said...

We look forward to TOTAL HEALING! And pray for the suffering to stop in Jesus' precious name.
The Gardner Family

Anonymous said...

Korrine,
I am praying for you and your family. Keep fighting and stay strong. You have tremendous prayer support.
Marcie Rybczynski

Unknown said...

grannysueHi, Korrine, my name is (Granny) Sue Bone, I just want to tell you that I think you are the bravest little person I have ever known. And a wonderful witness for our Lord and Savior.I believe God will heal you body and we"ll all see your smile again at Trinity SOON! I am praying constantly that He will take your pain away and make the cancer go away.We love you.

Anonymous said...

Korrine,
We will pray specifically for the requests your mom posted today. Please know we pray for you and think about you many times every day.

Continue to dwell on the truth that the Lord has a plan for you...a hope and a future, to help and not harm you!! I love how the message states Jer. 29:11:

"I know what I am doing. I have it all planned out-plans to take care of you, not to abandon you, plans to give you the future you hope for."

Staying on our knees as warriors on your behalf.
The Bauer Family

Anonymous said...

We will keep praying and trusting in God's great mercy and kindness.
Stay strong family.
Healing takes time, and we know that it will come soon.
Love and prayers,
Ian and Debby

Sue said...

Dear Korrine, Dana, Matt and Sean~

Please know that you are in my daily thoughts and prayers. Your specific prayer requests are being said over and over again. We know He is good, and will heal Korrine. Unfortunately it's not always in our timing. We may want to ask "why?" but know that we just have to believe and know that He will take care of her.
Anything you need, don't hesitate to ask. Until then, know that you are constantly thought of with love and prayers.
Hang tough and stay STRONG, CutiePie!!

Love to you all,
Sue Bakalar

Anonymous said...

Dear Matt, Dana & Sean,
Of course we will continue praying for Korrine's complete recovery. We pray that God will keep his loving hand on her and heal her. Know that you are always in our thoughts and prayers. Hang in there, Korrine---water polo just isn't the same without your friendly, smiling face!
Hugs to you all,
The McNairs

Anonymous said...

God bless you, Croghan family. I know you must all be suffering along with Korrine. I will continue to pray for all of you and especially for healing for Korrine.
Korrine, hang in there. I believe God has great things in mind for you when all this is over.
Jean Rossman

Anonymous said...

We pray for your family. Please, no more pain for the Croghan family.

Know that we are praying for you around the clock.

James Liz Ben Pam

Anonymous said...

Dearest Korrine,

Please know that we are continuing to pray for you and your family everyday. Please remember how loved you all are by so many, many people worldwide. May God bless you during this difficult time.

Love, The Nagy Family

Anonymous said...

Dear Croghan Family,

I am so sorry to hear that Korrine is in pain and that her heart rate and blood pressure are up. I will pray hard for her healing and that the pain will stop. This is all so much for a young person to handle, but Korrine you are doing it with such strength and grace.

I will also pray for Sean, who must miss his big sister so much. I can see from the photos how much you love each other. I pray that you will be together at home soon.

Dana and Matt,
Your strength and courage are amazing and I pray for you both. Watching your beautiful daughter suffer must be unbelievably hard and scary. I will pray for your strength and her healing.

Stay strong Croghan Family. You are loved!

Love,
Cindy Vance

Anonymous said...

Many prayers are being said from people you do not know. I am one of those people.

Anonymous said...

The LIVESTRONG bracelet we wear is a never ending circle of prayer and positive thoughts being sent out for Korrine and the whole family. I know many of us have not taken the bracelet off since Korrine began her warrior fight... and we won't take it off until she wins and is back swimming in the pool.

hugs and love always, kathy t.

Anonymous said...

Thank you, again, for sending specific prayer requests. Prayers are being said daily.
Your family has reached so many, people like myself who have never met you - all because one person told another and they told their prayer chains. So thank you for taking your time to let us know your prayer needs.
Mark, I went to your page for Relay for Life and what you wrote is so true. When it's someone else we think "that is too bad" but when it touches us, personally, then we are forced to take action. I spread Korrine's blogsite to those I knew would pray for her and I also intend to donate money in Korrine's name. That's what we can do to help. My husband plans to donate blood because he can do that.
Stay strong, Korrine, you are fighting this.
To the Croghan family: prayers are going out for your entire family. You are not alone. Continue to let us know specifically how we can help.
You are an incredible family.
Sue

Anonymous said...

Korrine-

I will keep you and your family in my prayers. Once again, you are an AMAZINGLY AWESOME person, and you will get through this difficult time. I hope that you feel better, and before you know it, you will be in the pool, better than ever, cancer free. You have a job to do on this earth, even though it may be tougher than others, God has assigned for you because he knows you are strong and can accomplish and win the fight against cancer.

LiveSTRONG!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Dear Korrine, Sean, Dana and Matt,

I am deathly afraid to fly and someone once told me to think of turbulence as waves in the ocean. We pray that the waves you are experiencing now will pass and that you will enjoy calm water soon.
We are praying for you and know that you will overcome!
StaySTRONG!
Love, The Opipari's

Anonymous said...

I have a new screen saver... and you're it! Though a bit fuzzy, it helps me to "...pray w/o ceasing..." 2 Thessalonians 5:17. My fav New/2nd Testament Bible verse is 2 Timothy 1:7 "For God has not given us a spirit of timidity, but of power and love and discipline."
So even though I'm just sitting here on a Sunday, I'm being disciplined to rest on God's day (Commandment number 4 of 10) with some praying & commnunicating, responding to God's love in my heart (softened with love only because I gave it to Him) by asking for His will to grant mercy & powerful healing to you.

Anonymous said...

Dear Dana, Matt, Sean and Korrine.. we are praying for you today and each day. we know that when our children are hurting that is the most difficult thing to endure. I will pray for God's hand over you all and for his peace to reign over each of your lives. I know that Korrine is being carried in the midst of her pain and that our Father in heaven will help you each moment of the day. Korrine has encouraged so many people; every time I mention you Korrine someone knows you and of your faith. Your such an amazing girl and you are touching so many. You are loved
the Kellman family.

Anonymous said...

Praying and seeking and asking and believing constantly. We love you all so much.

Jack, Arla & Mary

Anonymous said...

We are thinking of you all the time and praying hard for korrine that her pain will subside and the healing will continue. You are a remarkable family and we are with you in our minds and hearts.

Love the Cuys

Anonymous said...

Just letting you all know that the prayers and positive thoughts continue to flow...

I hope today finds Korrine feeling better with less nausea and pain and tomorrow even better than today.

hugs and love to you all, kathy t.

Anonymous said...

Dear Croghan Family-I am sending my daily prayers to all of you!!
I don't know if you remember me. (Korrine, you were a student of mine at Holy Cross when you were 4 years old.)I fondly recall your sweet nature, terrific smile, and artistic ability. I can see from the photos that you are just as adorable. Please know that I will continue to keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers. Much, much love, Sue Marchand

We were looking through the photos of your beautiful family on your website and I was surprised to see the photos of your Uncle Mark. Mark and I were classmates at Hayward High over 35 years ago. You are in our thoughts and prayers. John Marchand (Hayward Class of '71)

Anonymous said...

Of course I will continue to pray all these things. May your power, in all things, come from the Lord. Remember it is OK to need His strength. His Word tell us that HIS POWER is made perfect in OUR WEAKNESS. May His Power work through all of you this day.

Anonymous said...

I wanted you to know that I am in awe of you Korrine and your amazing family. I will continue to pray for your complete healing and for all the things that your parents asked for in the last update. Hang in there, and let the prayer of others and the healing hands of God,do their work. You are an inspiration to so many of us that don't even know you, and I am one of them. You are always in my thoughts. Keep living strong.
The Heffel Family

Anonymous said...

Korrine,
We are praying so hard for your complete recovery, we pray for the pain to stop and the complete healing of your body, the strength of your mind, body and soul takes our breath away.
Love - The Larsens

Anonymous said...

We look each day to see how the Croghan family is doing. We pray for the Croghan family always.

Peace LiveSTRONG Prayers with you everyday and always

Liz James Ben Pam

Pamela Ellis said...

Oh Lord, thank you for your blessing so far in Korrine's life an struggle, we pray that you surround her in your loving arms so she can keep on... keepin' on as she has been doing, and our ultimate prayer is that you will take her cancer and disolve it, use the chemotherapy drugs already in her system and enhance thier effectiveness and complete healing.

In Your Son's holy name, Amen

Sue said...

Dear Croghan's,

Checking in on you and praying that today is a good day.

With love,
Sue Bakalar

Anonymous said...

Thinking of all of you.........may God be with you today.

Love, The Nagy Family

Anonymous said...

Hi Korrine my name is Claira Curtis an i go 2 ur skool. I now we dont now each other but i find u inspirational and i hope we someday meet! Stay strong and dont give up faith! ILY!

-Claira

Anonymous said...

LiveSTRONG Korrine - this chemo will be brutal, but just like everything before it, you will conquer. Then, you will be cancer free, swimming in the pool, and smiling again at everyone you see. It will be in your past and you can teach even more people how to have faith in God, fight, and acheive! I can't wait for those days. You will be an incredible mentor.
God bless you and your family.

Wendy Campbell

Anonymous said...

Hi Korrine,

I just returned from a visit to Fresno today. While there, I had lunch with my friend who spends time at UCSF. She is needing a double-lung transplant. I told her about your story, and how God is working in your life, and I know your story helped to encourage her. God is using you as His vessel of hope even while you are still in the hospital.
Please Lord, help Korrine feel Your comfort, both physically and emotionally, and also for the chemo to have done away with the cancer!
Prayers continue,
Diane Shore

Anonymous said...

Dear Korrine,
You remain in our daily prayers - we continue to pray:
that the chemo has done its job,
that your heart rate and fever return to normal,
that your lungs continue to improve, and
that you you begin to feel like your old self again in the very near future. We will continue to pray for your to regain your strength and that the side affects of the chemo go away - quickly.
Stay STRONG!
Hugs and prayers coming your way -
Glenda, Kirra, & Richard

April Liebman said...

We are praying for Korrine. She is always in our thoughts everyday.
love,
April, Fabian, Sebastian, Sophia

Anonymous said...

Korrine! David Rambo and I ran this race in San Francisco, Bay to Breakers, for you two Sundays ago, we were wearing TEAM KC t-shirts and got a couple cheers for "water polo!!!" So we are running for you, and we are PRAYING FOR YOU. Korrine, God will do amazing things for you if you keep giving your whole mind and body over to him. He is capable of everything imaginable and then more, Korrine, and when you acknowledge that, like you are, His grace and love and POWER pour out over you. I was so inspired by the quote you said about Lance and the Bethany and you... I can't believe your spirit, Korrine. God will bless you and your family. He already has in so many ways... and may He continue to endlessly.