"Let no one ever come to you without leaving better and happier. Be the living expression of God's kindness; kindness in your face, kindness in your eyes, kindness in your smile, kindness in your warm greeting."
Mother Teresa

Smile

Cancer stripped her of everything including her life but it could not steal away God's LOVE, PEACE and the JOY that radiated through her. Korrine never stopped SMILING!
Korrine Lannie Croghan

Korrine Croghan was a vivacious 14-year-old girl who lived all of her life in Livermore, CA. She had a love for animals, sports, and most of all, family. Korrine was a straight “A” student while attending Mendenhall Middle School and was working hard in her first trimester at Granada High. She was a great friend to many and was everything that a brother, mother and father could ask for in a daughter. Korrine was the type of girl who would greet you with a wide smile and look into your eyes and truly would want to know how you were doing

Korrine & Cancer

On December 20th, 2007, Korrine was diagnosed with Choriocarcinoma with a germ cell element. Choriocarcinoma is a very rare type of cancer in teenage girls and inflicts less than 200 nationwide each year. Although the cancer started in her left ovary, the cancer had spread to her right ovary, lungs and liver. After the removal of a cantaloupe sized tumor in her left ovary on December 21st of 2007, Korrine, endured 10 months of intense chemotherapy designed for adult men.

During the course of her treatment, Korrine suffered many complications. In early April of 2007, her liver began to bleed. After staying at Kaiser Oakland for almost two weeks, Korrine was transfered to UCSF and spent a month in the intensive care unit. The doctors at UCSF Medical Center were finally able to stop her bleeding liver, but, not before it filled her abdomen with 5 liters of blood that had to be drained via a tube inserted into her stomach. On top of that, both of Korrines’ lungs collapsed while undergoing a CT scan that almost took her life. Because of that, 2 liters of fluid needed to be drained off of her lungs with the use of another drainage tube. Throughout her treatment Korrine needed numerous blood and platelet transfusions. She had nosebleeds that lasted an hour on several occasions. At one point, she had 18 intravenous tubes running through her body filled with anti-bacterials, anti-fungals, nutrition, painkillers and chemotherapy. Korrine miraculously made it through those tough days at UCSF and returned to Kaiser Hospital in Oakland. She was finally stable and was released to go home in late June. Just as things were starting to look up for her, she suffered septic shock in July that forced her to go back into intensive care at Kaiser in Santa Clara for 2 weeks.

Korrine returned home in late July and went through imaging scans to see if the cancer had disappeared. The scans always came back good, but not great. In an effort to kill and stop the remaining cancer cells, she underwent an emergency round of chemotherapy in early September. Unfortunately, it did kill the remaining cancer and her doctors had run out of options.

Korrine spent her last days at home with her family reading books and loving on her cats and dog. She passed away quietly, at home, on October 27th, 2008. Through it all, Korrine had a positive attitude and never gave up or complained. Many consider Korrine a hero.

Team KC

The Team KC website was originally started as a way to encourage, educate, raise awareness, and keep friends and family informed with accurate information on Korrine's treatment and progress. Family, classmates, friends, community members, and complete strangers rallied to support Korrine and her family through her fight against Choriocarcinoma. We were amazed by the amount of support we received, and it is now our desire to give back. In March, 2009, Team KC became an official nonprofit by joining forces with Kaiser Foundation Hospital. All monies raised by Team KC will directly benefit pediatric cancer patients and their families. All monetary contributions are tax deductible.

Our Mission: To help improve the quality of life of pediatric cancer patients and their families. We wish to supply children with fun activities, toys and anything else that will brighten and better their lives. Monies will also be used to help parents pay for bills and defray the costs of gas, food and lodging that go along with caring for a child with cancer.

Stay Positive, LIVESTRONG & Welcome to Team KC!

*This is the official Team KC website and the only website approved by the Croghan family. Please do not use content, images, or video from this site without permission. This is an effort to respect the family's privacy and ensure that all content is accurate and approved. Thank you for your cooperation.
A Note From Korrine (written after her 4th round of Chemo)...

Hello everyone! It's me, Korrine. I just wanted to take a
moment to thank each and every one of you for supporting me through emails,
visits, food, gifts, and most importantly, prayer. Without it, I probably
wouldn't have made it this far. Anyways, on a happier note, I am happy to
announce that I am feeling very good. This last round of chemo hit me pretty
hard, but I think that it is more exiting to end things with a big BANG! I will
try to start writing things for the blog now that my chemo therapy is over, but
until then, just know that I love every single one of you and I am always
thinking about my family, friends, and even the people who I've never met
before. Thanks for joining my battle and for making this experience "The
Experience of a Lifetime." LIVESTRONG! And stay positive.

Korrine Lannie Croghan

Friday, August 15, 2008

Korrine is home

Korrine is home.  Her 9th round of chemotherapy went well.  She has certainly had intense chemotherapy over the past 8 months.  As for now she is going to rest.  Korrine will have blood draws begining on Monday.  Her blood counts are coming down (this is to be expected after intense chemotherapy) and she will go into the oncology clinic for blood transfusions.  The doctors expect Korrine to have transfusions two to three times a week.  Red blood and Platelets.  We will do another battery of tests in 3 weeks.  We will meet with specialist's from U.C.S.F. next week.  Korrine has to stay healthy and can't risk getting sick.  Your prayers  for Korrine are being answered.  Korrine is home and we feel blessed, thankful, and very happy.  Let's continue to keep her in our prayers for complete healing and that this last round of chemotherapy killed off all the cancer in her liver and that the cancer never returns.  We love all of you and thank you for your love and support in every way.  Special "Thank You" to Korrine's incredible Dr. Bergstrom and his team of doctors and nurses for the wonderful care they continue to give Korrine.  Thank You just never seems like enough.  Praise God!


Stay Positive and Livestrong
Dana and Matt Croghan

59 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome Korrine!!!!!

Anonymous said...

What wonderful news. God Bless all of you!!!

Anonymous said...

What wonderful news. God Bless all of you!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow...an amazing child of God indeed!

Praying for complete healing and good health. Bless you all.

Anonymous said...

Welcome Home Sweetheart!

Can you hear the cheering???? You won the GOLD!!!!

Now you can set your sites on school and the pool :)

We are so proud of you!!!! All praise to Jesus!!!!

Much love,
Auntie Denise & Uncle Mark

Anonymous said...

Dear Croghans,
What a great way for all of us to start the week-end...with Korrine home!! Thinking about all of you and keeping you in my prayers!!julie gilmore

Sue said...

Welcome Home Korrine!!

Rest well, CutiePie, and know that you are all in my thoughts and prayers daily.

Love ya!
Sue

Anonymous said...

I check the blog almost everyday looking for the good news. Today is good news.

Anonymous said...

WOW!!!! What wonderful news! I hope you're feeling okay after chemo, Korrine. Rest up, feel better, get some of Mom's cookin' in you and enjoy the rest of the summer. W're always thinking about you and checking in on you. Take care.

Anonymous said...

PRAISE GOD! Amen! Can't wait to see you at GHS soon!

Unknown said...

Great news! We check your blog frequently and are happy you are home. We are praying that your cancer is gone.

Connor and Cheryl Hasting

Rosalyn said...

Yahoooo! I LOVE our God and I love you! We are with you and praying.
Love the Esmeyer Family

Anonymous said...

Welcome home, Korrine. Welcome home.

Anonymous said...

We are SOOO happy that you are home, and we will continue to pray for all of you. Korrine, you are such an inspiration to all of us out here. Your faith has been strong and that makes us strong also.
God bless you sweet girl.

Keep on healing, and we hope to see you soon.

Love from,
Debby and Ian

Kathy Scarbrough said...

Hi Korrine,
Fantastic news, Girl!!! I am delighted to read such wonderful stuff! God is working miracles. You rest up and keep smiling and I'll keep praying!
Love, Mrs. Scarbrough

Anonymous said...

Praise God! Thank you Jesus! Way to go Korrine. Blessings pressed down and overflowing to the Croghan family!

Anonymous said...

Praise God!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let there be peace, rest, food, pool time, family time, and continued prayers for the Croghan Family.

Love Liz Ben James and Pam

Anonymous said...

Amen!!! Praise the Lord! I pray for healing, rest, strength & lots of joy!

Anonymous said...

I love you korrine! So happy for you.. stay strong!

Love,
Audrey

Anonymous said...

Yes! Praise God! I am so glad that Korrine is home and resting. I will pray that she gets stronger in the next three weeks and that the cancer is gone forever!

I loved the recent photos on the blog site. What a beautiful young lady you are Korrine!

Enjoy watching the Olympics and keep going for the Gold Korrine! You are a true winner!

Love,
Cindy Vance

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear you're home. You and your family have been so courageous and such an inspiration to others. I follow your blog often and I will continue to pray for healing. You are all winners, indeed. VivianSwitzer

Anonymous said...

Korrine,

We are so glad that you are home with your family. We hope you can relax and get some nice rest. We will pray for your complete healing. Keep smiling and stay positive!

Love,

The Spence Family

Anonymous said...

Dear Beautiful Korrine,
May you be blessed by the Divine hand of God.
May your health be abundant by the Healing hand of God.
May your spirit be strengthened by the Mighty hand of God.
May your heart be uplifted by the Loving hand of God.
May you be blessed with great joy by the merciful hand of God.

Anonymous said...

Hey Croghii!
Way to go on your 9th round of chemo! I am going to pray that the cancer in your liver was wiped clean. Enjoy being home :D
Love and prayers,
Mary Rosa

Denise K. said...

Hello Korrine!

I am so happy to read that you are home now after your last round of chemotherapy! I am praying that this last round rids your body of every last cancer cell, and that you can now start healing, and moving forward on a journey to complete and restored health!

I think of you every day, and remember you in my prayers just as often. I am praying that you recover from this last round of chemo as smoothly as possible, and that complete healing will be yours. I am sure you are anxious to start school as soon as you are ready! What an incredible year this is going to be for you!

You know, one day, I hope you write a book about your experiences with cancer Korrine. You have such a story to tell, and I know each of us would be standing in line to have an autographed copy from the author of this amazing story...YOU!

With lots of love from Colorado,
Denise Ü

Lorri said...

Hi Korrine...praying that all the germs stay far away from you as you recover from chemo.

Have fun resting and wathcing the Olympics or a really great dvd movie today!

Love, Lorri

Anonymous said...

Hey Korrine,
I am sio glad you are done with your 9th round of chemotherapy. You are amazing.
anja

Anonymous said...

Korrine-
So glad you are home! A few nights ago, I had a dream that we were celebrating you after all the cancer was gone. I got to meet you!
I can not wait to meet you someday!
Stay strong! Hey, did you see the mens and womens water polo on tv? I think they won, I did not get to see all of the games, but I saw a little, and geepers, that sport seems really hard( I thought my sport was hard....). You are an amazing athlete!
LiveSTRONG!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Welcome home dear Korrine! Cant wait to see you and hope you enjoy your days out of the hospital to the best possible! We are always thinking of you and how you are doing =D

Sue said...

Happy Saturday Croghans!

Just thinking about you and hoping you're at home, feeling good, relaxing and maybe watching some Olympics or a funny movie.

Have a beautiful day!
Love,
Sue

Anonymous said...

Home Sweet Home! Our daily prayers continue, Korrine~La Familia Cortez

Anonymous said...

Excellent news!!! Now you can watch the Olympics from your cozy home.
Envision the chemo wiping out every single bit of cancer inside you.
We are thinking positive thoughts and prayers are continuous for your strength and complete healing.

Lorri said...

Hi Korrine...If a person wanted to send you something cute to wear, yummy to eat, or fun to do, what would that person send?

Post some ideas please! :)

Love, Lorri

Anonymous said...

Korrine, Sean, Dana and Matt,

Thinking of you all! It is GREAT to hear that Korrine is home. Our prayers and positive thoughts will continue to her complete healing, comfort and peace.

GO TEAM KC!
hugs and love, kathy t.

Rosalyn said...

Even Michael Phelps 8 gold medals don't hold a candle to your endurance and faith. Praying you are recovering from this round and praying it's your last. We love you and believe with you-
The Esmeyer Family

Janet Hemmig said...

Welcome home Korrine! We are so happy to hear that you are home again. You and your family remain in our hearts, thoughts and prayers. Kyle, Janet & Chad

Anonymous said...

You and your family seem surprised at all of the care and concern everyone has for all of you. You shouldn't be, as you and your family are the epitome of what is good in this world, and you all shine brightly as an example of faith and hope. We can never tire of helping you, as we know that if it were the other way around, you would do it for us.

Anonymous said...

Welcome Home Korrine!

What wonderful news! Rest up sweet girl. We continue to pray for your complete recovery. Your strength is amazing!

Love, The Moreau Family

Anonymous said...

Yeah God... so glad your home... Our family took a trip to Shaver Lake east of Fresno.. and stayed at a cabin.. many prayers spoken for you up there daily, wondering how many homes, cabins, tents, places in this world a beautiful child of God named Korrine has been lifted up.. So glad that you are able to pray from home again.. so grateful Lord for the healing and prayers for this sweet one. I know you are doing a great work in her, and through her amen
love Sandi Kellman

Sue said...

Good Morning CutiePie!!

I'm headed out for my walk this morning, but you are always one of the first people on my mind in the morning, so I wanted to pop in and wish you a happy day. Hope you are resting and feeling well. I watched Michael Phelps and his smile for his accomplishments, and they are pretty amazing... but girl, I've got to say that you have him beat in both the smile AND accomplishment departments. One day you will be up there on the Olympic podium and I'll be proudly applauding for you as well. :-)

Have a beautiful day!
Love to the Croghan family,
Sue

Lorri said...

Hi Korrine! Olivia started kindergarten today! She was nervous but excited. I hope you'll be able to get started with school at home and soon be back in the classroom. Praying that you continue to have no germs and that your heart is light and that God's radiance is upon you. Bless you today! A hug from Colorado, Lorri

Anonymous said...

I'm thrilled to learn that you are home! As always, you remain in our daily prayers - and we will pray that you have all the A- red blood and platlets you need for your upcoming transfusions, that you get the rest you need and that round 9 of the chemo did it's job. Enjoy being at home!
Hugs your way,
The Thornton's

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear you are home! We continue to think of all of you and continue to hold you in our hearts in prayer.

Much Love, The Nagy Family

Anonymous said...

You rock! Don't forget, the pool is always open at our house! ;)

We love you sweet girl!
The Van Bladel Family

Lorri said...

Hi Korrine..what's on tap for today? Would you believe Olivia came home from the first day of school with a fever!? So, she's missing the second day but is outside right now with my camera hoping to snap a picture of the hot air balloon above our house. I hope someday you and your family can come visit us up here and maybe even take a balloon ride. Colorado is very beautiful and we have plenty of room for guests.

Love, Lorri

Sue said...

Hi Korrine, Dana, Matt and Sean~

Hope today finds you all well and rested and maybe even out enjoying a little sunshine.

Just thinking of you and sending love,
Sue

Anonymous said...

I check your blog all the time and it sooo encouraging to read this great news!!! I tell everyone I know about you and your super courageous battle.

Praise God for his healing hand!
Prayers to God for continued healing and stength!

Love,
Julie Rice and family

Anonymous said...

Way to go Korrine!!! We all hope that you're resting well and eating plenty. We also are praying that all that nasty cancer is gone away from your body forever!!! Be Strong,

The Campbell's

Anonymous said...

Great news to have you home again!
We hope you get plenty of rest and regain your strength quickly. We pray that this round of chemo did the trick and that you will soon be back to school and water polo.
Love,
Jan and Codel

Anonymous said...

Korrine,

I was home for lunch today and got to see the final of the Women's Water Polo. I sure thought of you the whole time they were playing their hearts out.

You have faced this journey with such a huge heart, always caring and thanking your medical team of workers. You bring so much joy and happiness to everyone! I know I've said it before... YOU ARE TRULY AN AMAZING YOUNG LADY!

GO KORRINE! GO TEAM KC!

hugs and love, kathy t.

Anonymous said...

Welcome Home Korrine! Please continue to get rest and now you can enjoy your moments at home! You can enjoy the Olympics too! Continue to be strong as we continue to pray for you! Keep smiling!

Virtual Hugs!
The Heinz Family

Anonymous said...

Hi Matt, Dana, Korrine and Sean,
We're glad you're back home, Korrine! Hoping this round did what it should. Looking forward to seeing you at the water polo practices and games soon. We miss you all...
Always in our thoughts and prayers,
The McNairs

Anonymous said...

Dear Korrine,
I hope you had a great day today and may tomorrow bring you even more strength and joy. Sweet dreams!!
julie gilmore

Anonymous said...

Hi Korrine (and family!)

i just wanted you to know that I am thinking about you and praying that you are feeling well and getting stronger every day.

I hope you are getting a chance to watch the Olympics and read about some of the amazing athletes. The man who won the marathon in open water swimming (Van der Weidjen) reminded me of you. He has battled cancer and now he has won Gold! I am sure that he had God on his side just like you!

Take Crae!
Love,
Mrs. Vance

Anonymous said...

Dear Korrine
This is from Dean I have been praying for you and hope your feeling so much better so you can get ready for school soon. I hope that your going to be better soon so I can meet you and maybe Sean, you and I can go swimming. Take care and I will keep praying for you. Maybe you can pray for me that third grade won't be too hard! love dean kellman

Lorri said...

Hi Korrine. I just wanted to say Good Morning. I imagine you are very weary of cancer and all the treatments involvoed. I bet you've seen enough hospitals to last a life time!

I send prayer to you like a spectator watching a victor run a marathon. Keep going Sweetheart! You are not alone and you are not forgotten!

Love, Lorri

Sue said...

Good Morning CutiePie!

Just checking in to say hi and wish you a happy Thursday. I pray that you are getting stronger and feeling better each day. Hope you're still enjoying the Olympics. Seems they have something for everyone to watch. I found myself catching the beach volleyball final last night after the Giants game. Interesting.

Have a wonderous day!!
Love,
Sue

Anonymous said...

Hi there,
Just checking in to see how everyone is doing - I hope that all is going well and that the entire family is getting some much needed rest - I'm sure that mom and dad are sleeping easier knowing that the entire family is together under one roof - that's such a blessing. You all remain in our daily prayers - Hugs to all, The Thornton's

Lorri said...

Me again. I might not have anything brillant or new to say, but I am here.

I check your blog every single day. I know you are in one of the hardest parts of your cancer journey and I know this is when the medical bills outnumber the Hallmark cards in the mailbox.

I am praying that all of you continue to be overwhelmed with God's goodness and presence.

Love, Lorri