"Let no one ever come to you without leaving better and happier. Be the living expression of God's kindness; kindness in your face, kindness in your eyes, kindness in your smile, kindness in your warm greeting."
Mother Teresa

Smile

Cancer stripped her of everything including her life but it could not steal away God's LOVE, PEACE and the JOY that radiated through her. Korrine never stopped SMILING!
Korrine Lannie Croghan

Korrine Croghan was a vivacious 14-year-old girl who lived all of her life in Livermore, CA. She had a love for animals, sports, and most of all, family. Korrine was a straight “A” student while attending Mendenhall Middle School and was working hard in her first trimester at Granada High. She was a great friend to many and was everything that a brother, mother and father could ask for in a daughter. Korrine was the type of girl who would greet you with a wide smile and look into your eyes and truly would want to know how you were doing

Korrine & Cancer

On December 20th, 2007, Korrine was diagnosed with Choriocarcinoma with a germ cell element. Choriocarcinoma is a very rare type of cancer in teenage girls and inflicts less than 200 nationwide each year. Although the cancer started in her left ovary, the cancer had spread to her right ovary, lungs and liver. After the removal of a cantaloupe sized tumor in her left ovary on December 21st of 2007, Korrine, endured 10 months of intense chemotherapy designed for adult men.

During the course of her treatment, Korrine suffered many complications. In early April of 2007, her liver began to bleed. After staying at Kaiser Oakland for almost two weeks, Korrine was transfered to UCSF and spent a month in the intensive care unit. The doctors at UCSF Medical Center were finally able to stop her bleeding liver, but, not before it filled her abdomen with 5 liters of blood that had to be drained via a tube inserted into her stomach. On top of that, both of Korrines’ lungs collapsed while undergoing a CT scan that almost took her life. Because of that, 2 liters of fluid needed to be drained off of her lungs with the use of another drainage tube. Throughout her treatment Korrine needed numerous blood and platelet transfusions. She had nosebleeds that lasted an hour on several occasions. At one point, she had 18 intravenous tubes running through her body filled with anti-bacterials, anti-fungals, nutrition, painkillers and chemotherapy. Korrine miraculously made it through those tough days at UCSF and returned to Kaiser Hospital in Oakland. She was finally stable and was released to go home in late June. Just as things were starting to look up for her, she suffered septic shock in July that forced her to go back into intensive care at Kaiser in Santa Clara for 2 weeks.

Korrine returned home in late July and went through imaging scans to see if the cancer had disappeared. The scans always came back good, but not great. In an effort to kill and stop the remaining cancer cells, she underwent an emergency round of chemotherapy in early September. Unfortunately, it did kill the remaining cancer and her doctors had run out of options.

Korrine spent her last days at home with her family reading books and loving on her cats and dog. She passed away quietly, at home, on October 27th, 2008. Through it all, Korrine had a positive attitude and never gave up or complained. Many consider Korrine a hero.

Team KC

The Team KC website was originally started as a way to encourage, educate, raise awareness, and keep friends and family informed with accurate information on Korrine's treatment and progress. Family, classmates, friends, community members, and complete strangers rallied to support Korrine and her family through her fight against Choriocarcinoma. We were amazed by the amount of support we received, and it is now our desire to give back. In March, 2009, Team KC became an official nonprofit by joining forces with Kaiser Foundation Hospital. All monies raised by Team KC will directly benefit pediatric cancer patients and their families. All monetary contributions are tax deductible.

Our Mission: To help improve the quality of life of pediatric cancer patients and their families. We wish to supply children with fun activities, toys and anything else that will brighten and better their lives. Monies will also be used to help parents pay for bills and defray the costs of gas, food and lodging that go along with caring for a child with cancer.

Stay Positive, LIVESTRONG & Welcome to Team KC!

*This is the official Team KC website and the only website approved by the Croghan family. Please do not use content, images, or video from this site without permission. This is an effort to respect the family's privacy and ensure that all content is accurate and approved. Thank you for your cooperation.
A Note From Korrine (written after her 4th round of Chemo)...

Hello everyone! It's me, Korrine. I just wanted to take a
moment to thank each and every one of you for supporting me through emails,
visits, food, gifts, and most importantly, prayer. Without it, I probably
wouldn't have made it this far. Anyways, on a happier note, I am happy to
announce that I am feeling very good. This last round of chemo hit me pretty
hard, but I think that it is more exiting to end things with a big BANG! I will
try to start writing things for the blog now that my chemo therapy is over, but
until then, just know that I love every single one of you and I am always
thinking about my family, friends, and even the people who I've never met
before. Thanks for joining my battle and for making this experience "The
Experience of a Lifetime." LIVESTRONG! And stay positive.

Korrine Lannie Croghan

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Korrine needs a miracle today. Please pray.

We love you,
The Croghan Family

*Please no visitors or phone calls to the hospital or Matt and Dana at this time. Thank you!

46 comments:

Denise K. said...

YES, I will, and have been, and will continue to! I am praying for the miracle that Korrine needs today...I am praying for strength, healing, and peace. Praying that the entire family is able to get some rest, and to find even an ounce of joy in today. With lots of love and prayers, Denise

Lorri said...

Praying for a miracle!
Love, Lorri

Anonymous said...

Korrine and the Croghans, I will continue to pray, ask my friends to pray and ask my brother, a pastor, to add an extra prayer today for a miracle for you, Korrine ....Alice

Anonymous said...

We will not stop praying...

Anonymous said...

Korrine - I only know you by the kind words spoken by mutual friends, and by your blog and many pictures. As a mother, my heart goes out to you and your family. You are in my prayers, now and always.

Sue said...

Croghan family,

Sending every ounce of love and faith I have to you and praying for miracles~
Sue Bakalar

mel g said...

Korrine! Oh Korrine! I want you to know that I've got a whole soccer team down here at my school who's got your back... we're praying for you. I've never met anyone as spunky as you - even in the worst you can't get that grin off your face. You are amazing Korrine, and it's not just me who thinks that, it's everyone I know who knows you from water polo and RLCC and God thinks so too.... You are in our hearts and minds and prayers and we love you so much, Korrine.

Anonymous said...

This is one of the many prayers that I have said for you Korrine. It is to St. Peregrine, the Patron Saint of cancer patients.

O great St. Peregrine, you have been called "The Mighty," "The Wonder-Worker," because of the numerous miracles which you have obtained from God for those who have had recourse to you.

For so many years you bore in your own flesh this cancerous disease that destroys the very fibre of our being, and who had recourse to the source of all grace when the power of man could do no more. You were favoured with the vision of Jesus coming down from His Cross to heal your affliction. Ask of God and Our Lady, the cure of the sick whom we entrust to you.
KORRINE CROGHAN
Aided in this way by your powerful intercession, we shall sing to God, now and for all eternity, a song of gratitude for His great goodness and mercy.
Amen.

You are all in my thoughts and minds all day, everyday. God Bless all of you.
Jenn Muzzall

Anonymous said...

Korrine and family,
I am Donna Busch from Castro Valley. Our 3 kids have attended or attend Canyon Middle School. Adam really liked your dad's 7th grade history class a couple of years ago. Rebecca thinks she met you last summer at the middle school group at Crosswinds in Dublin. You are a wonderful person from all I have heard and your family is great. If there is anything we can do, please let us know. I keep praying... and now I will do even more. Please Lord, give us this miracle. We realize that the Lord is capable of all things.

Anonymous said...

Praying for a miracle!
Jill

Anonymous said...

Korrine: I will be on my knees praying for the Miracle you are asking for today. I am praying that your room will be filled with the presence of God's ministering Angels that will comfort and surround you with peace, healing, and love. He is able to do all we ask of Him. You are precious.

Anonymous said...

Korrine - You don't know me, but I am a parent of Smith and Mendenhall students. We are also an ex-Arroyo Mocho family. Your mom and I have never met, but beginning back in our Mocho days and continuing now, she always has a smile and a hello when she passes me. I've always known that she must be a very special lady. I can tell by reading all the love that's coming through your blog that she has passed on many wonderful qualities to you. I just wanted you to know that you now have many more prayer warriors. You have me, of course. I've also passed along your story and info about your blog to my family members who do not live in the area. I've asked them to pass along your need for prayer to their friends, co-workers and church communities. I know they won't let you down. For now, rest your beautiful head and let the rest of us work with God on your behalf. That miracle will come!

Anonymous said...

Hi
We are thinking about you,
and praying for you.

stay strong!
Love Adeline & Michelle Nunes

Unknown said...

Korrine,

I am praying, and the newest members of you Team, my coworkers are right there with you! I wish you could have seen everyone's smiling faces during the swim-a-thon. There was not doubt that everyone was thinking about you, because we all where smiling.... your smile is contagious Korrine, keep it up :)

Anonymous said...

Today, tomorrow, always praying! Where there is great love there are always miracles!
Love,
The Heinz Family
Johnny, Stacie, Tabby & Zac

Anonymous said...

Sending you a MIRACLE and lots of prayers!!!
With love,
The Vasquez's
Taylor,Aj,Wendy,& Savannah

Anonymous said...

Dear Matt, Dana, Korinne and Sean,

We love you and we are praying for you all. Be strong - God is with you.

Wendy

Anonymous said...

we ARE and have been praying for the miracle that you need to get through this Korrine!!
All of our love
The Riddiough's

April Liebman said...

All our thoughts and prayers are with you today.
love,
April, Fabian, Sebastain, & Sophia

Anonymous said...

Korrine & family,

We continue to pray for you everday. Find strength in knowing that you have so many people praying for you. Continue to smile sweet girl! LIVESTRONG Team KC!

The Moreau Family

Anonymous said...

Our wish for Korrine is to have God's loving and healing hands around her more than He has ever had before. For Dana, Matt, and Sean, our wish for each of you is for that miracle to help you find peace and joy. You are all in our hearts and prayers.
Much love,
Keri, Roger, Joe, and Maggie Brown

Anonymous said...

We are praying for you, Korrine, and for brighter days ahead.

With love,

The Palombas
Erik, Tina, & Nik

Anonymous said...

Dear Matt, Dana, Korrine and Sean:

We're never gonna stop praying for you Korrine! You're in our hearts everyday! We love you!!
We pray God's peace and His strength for you each and every day.

The Gilberts

Anonymous said...

Korrine,
Miracles do happen and we are praying that God grants you a miracle in your courageous struggle. Be strong and never give up.
Robert, Christopher, Denise, and Joe

Anonymous said...

Have not and will not stop praying for that miracle to happen.

Stu, Cindy & Kat Gary

Sarah said...

praying, praying, praying...and asking everyone in my network to do the same. Always thinking about you today, Croghan family. Carry God's strength with you and trust in Him.
love, Sarah

Anonymous said...

Hi Croghans,
We are constantly thinking of you and praying for you. About 50 of us gathered today at Smith School after school today to pray for you. You are not alone and we are all standing by you.

Rosalyn said...

We echo all the love and prayers and some.

Anonymous said...

The Lord is touching the hearts of those around you and we are reminded to pray for you and your family many times throughout the day.

You have the biggest smile and are such a sweet, beautiful girl. You truly are a light to those around you.

We do pray for His miraculous touch, that you would feel His presence, and that he would bring healing and comfort. He is our Jehovah-Rapha (our healer). We pray that he would perform a miracle for you and that you would be healed from pain, cancer, and that he would replace it with peace, love, and joy. May you find relief in Him - our Everlasting Father who binds up the brokenhearted and says do not lose heart for I am with you always.

We simply love you - and we haven't even met!
(I know your mom from Trinity.)

I prayed Eph. 3:14-21 and replaced the words of "us" with your name "Korrine". One that sticks out, is verse 20, "Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us (Korrine)."

You sister in Christ,
The Laytons

Mark Johnson said...

Friends & neighbors all around are praying for you & your family, Korrine.

Mark & Candy,
Sam & Molly

Anonymous said...

Korrine,
We're praying for you and thinking about you all the time. Stay strong!
- Ian and Mikayla

Anonymous said...

Hey, Korrine!
Hope you're feeling better very soon! We all miss you very much and hope to see you soon! You are in our thoughts and prayers!
=)
Love,
Mikayla=)

Anonymous said...

Hey, Korrine!
Hope you're feeling better very soon! We all miss you very much and hope to see you soon! You are in our thoughts and prayers!
=)
Love,
Mikayla=)

Anonymous said...

Korrine,

We are praying for you and your family daily, asking for healing and strength. We believe in the power of miracles and pray that one will come for you.

Love,

The Spence Family
(Aiko, Paul, Kevin & Dale)

Anonymous said...

Korrine and family,
During this time of need, this shadow of illness, we pray that Korrine continues to be protected by the shield of God's strength and the love so that she can heal.

You are in our daily prayers,
The Thornton's

Anonymous said...

Korrine,
We are praying for your miracle everyday! The strength of you and your famiy amazes us!
Love,
Nels, Nicole, Natalie and Kyle Larsen

Anonymous said...

Matt, Dana, Korrine and Sean.... Miracles CAN and DO happen every day....I am praying steadily that your miracle happens very soon. Wishing your family much love, peace, comfort and strength.
Victoria

Anonymous said...

I am praying for a miracle. When you are too worn out, tired,worried, and scared, we are lifting you up in non-ceasing prayer. I pray that God will reveal himself to you and fill you with his presence, his love,and his peace. I pray that you will see the obvious results of all these prayers going up for Korrine's healing. That when it seems the hardest, that is when his healing starts. I am praying for a miracle. I will not stop.
It feels like even when I am busy there is an inside intercessory constant prayer going up. I pray he sends his angels to minister to Korrine and you.

Love Yolanda

Anonymous said...

You are all in my thoughts and prayers daily. Be strong all of you, God does amazing things.

Anonymous said...

All of us in the PE department are saying our prayers for you, sending you strenght and healing. We miss you dear Korrine
Mendenhall PE

Anonymous said...

Korrine and Family,
My prayers and deepest thoughts are with you. Much love to you all!
God Bless, Julie Knight

Anonymous said...

hey korrine!!
i have been praying so hard for you and i will continue praying extremely hard for you. i know you will get threw this korrine. you have the strenght to get threw this. i pray for a miracle. and i hope to see your smiling face soon.
love always,
korrina botelho <3<3<3<3<3<3

Anonymous said...

Hi Korrine,
I just got done swimming 50 laps for you. I started getting tired near the end but thinking of you pushed me to the end.
~Ashley Moylan~

Anonymous said...

Praying for you today, tomorrow, and for as long as it takes to see you strong and healthy again!

Katie said...

I'm on my knees praying for a miracle for you Korrine.

Love, Katie (just a stranger on the net who has been praying for you)

Anonymous said...

Hey Korrine,
I just wanted to let you know my family and I are praying for you. Miss you out on the softball field, those were some pretty awsome times with you. You were an amazing pitcher!! Happy belated Birthday!!
Katelyn Krueger