"Let no one ever come to you without leaving better and happier. Be the living expression of God's kindness; kindness in your face, kindness in your eyes, kindness in your smile, kindness in your warm greeting."
Mother Teresa

Smile

Cancer stripped her of everything including her life but it could not steal away God's LOVE, PEACE and the JOY that radiated through her. Korrine never stopped SMILING!
Korrine Lannie Croghan

Korrine Croghan was a vivacious 14-year-old girl who lived all of her life in Livermore, CA. She had a love for animals, sports, and most of all, family. Korrine was a straight “A” student while attending Mendenhall Middle School and was working hard in her first trimester at Granada High. She was a great friend to many and was everything that a brother, mother and father could ask for in a daughter. Korrine was the type of girl who would greet you with a wide smile and look into your eyes and truly would want to know how you were doing

Korrine & Cancer

On December 20th, 2007, Korrine was diagnosed with Choriocarcinoma with a germ cell element. Choriocarcinoma is a very rare type of cancer in teenage girls and inflicts less than 200 nationwide each year. Although the cancer started in her left ovary, the cancer had spread to her right ovary, lungs and liver. After the removal of a cantaloupe sized tumor in her left ovary on December 21st of 2007, Korrine, endured 10 months of intense chemotherapy designed for adult men.

During the course of her treatment, Korrine suffered many complications. In early April of 2007, her liver began to bleed. After staying at Kaiser Oakland for almost two weeks, Korrine was transfered to UCSF and spent a month in the intensive care unit. The doctors at UCSF Medical Center were finally able to stop her bleeding liver, but, not before it filled her abdomen with 5 liters of blood that had to be drained via a tube inserted into her stomach. On top of that, both of Korrines’ lungs collapsed while undergoing a CT scan that almost took her life. Because of that, 2 liters of fluid needed to be drained off of her lungs with the use of another drainage tube. Throughout her treatment Korrine needed numerous blood and platelet transfusions. She had nosebleeds that lasted an hour on several occasions. At one point, she had 18 intravenous tubes running through her body filled with anti-bacterials, anti-fungals, nutrition, painkillers and chemotherapy. Korrine miraculously made it through those tough days at UCSF and returned to Kaiser Hospital in Oakland. She was finally stable and was released to go home in late June. Just as things were starting to look up for her, she suffered septic shock in July that forced her to go back into intensive care at Kaiser in Santa Clara for 2 weeks.

Korrine returned home in late July and went through imaging scans to see if the cancer had disappeared. The scans always came back good, but not great. In an effort to kill and stop the remaining cancer cells, she underwent an emergency round of chemotherapy in early September. Unfortunately, it did kill the remaining cancer and her doctors had run out of options.

Korrine spent her last days at home with her family reading books and loving on her cats and dog. She passed away quietly, at home, on October 27th, 2008. Through it all, Korrine had a positive attitude and never gave up or complained. Many consider Korrine a hero.

Team KC

The Team KC website was originally started as a way to encourage, educate, raise awareness, and keep friends and family informed with accurate information on Korrine's treatment and progress. Family, classmates, friends, community members, and complete strangers rallied to support Korrine and her family through her fight against Choriocarcinoma. We were amazed by the amount of support we received, and it is now our desire to give back. In March, 2009, Team KC became an official nonprofit by joining forces with Kaiser Foundation Hospital. All monies raised by Team KC will directly benefit pediatric cancer patients and their families. All monetary contributions are tax deductible.

Our Mission: To help improve the quality of life of pediatric cancer patients and their families. We wish to supply children with fun activities, toys and anything else that will brighten and better their lives. Monies will also be used to help parents pay for bills and defray the costs of gas, food and lodging that go along with caring for a child with cancer.

Stay Positive, LIVESTRONG & Welcome to Team KC!

*This is the official Team KC website and the only website approved by the Croghan family. Please do not use content, images, or video from this site without permission. This is an effort to respect the family's privacy and ensure that all content is accurate and approved. Thank you for your cooperation.
A Note From Korrine (written after her 4th round of Chemo)...

Hello everyone! It's me, Korrine. I just wanted to take a
moment to thank each and every one of you for supporting me through emails,
visits, food, gifts, and most importantly, prayer. Without it, I probably
wouldn't have made it this far. Anyways, on a happier note, I am happy to
announce that I am feeling very good. This last round of chemo hit me pretty
hard, but I think that it is more exiting to end things with a big BANG! I will
try to start writing things for the blog now that my chemo therapy is over, but
until then, just know that I love every single one of you and I am always
thinking about my family, friends, and even the people who I've never met
before. Thanks for joining my battle and for making this experience "The
Experience of a Lifetime." LIVESTRONG! And stay positive.

Korrine Lannie Croghan

Friday, April 18, 2008

HAPPY 14TH BIRTHDAY, KORRINE!!!


We Love you SO much!

81 comments:

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO THE SWEETEST STRONGEST GIRL I KNOW, HAPPY BIRHTDAY TO YOU!

You are such an amazing person, and I love you so much, and i am praying for you so much, and my friends down in Riverside keep you in their prayers as well.

I hope that I am able to come see you soon!

Love ya,
Amy Rice

mojijojavo said...

HAPPY 14th BIRTHDAY, KORRINE!!!

We hope you feel much better and are able to enjoy your very special day today!

We look forward to celebrating with you soon!

Lots of love,
Maureen, Jim, Jake & Josh

kevinjohnston said...

Happy Birthday Korrine I hope you have a good day. We are all thinking of you and praying for you often.

From,
Kevin Johnston and family

Anonymous said...

Happy "14th" Birthday Korrine!!!

We are praying for good news today and hope that you are not in pain.

With love infinito,

Jill, Juan, John,
Jennifer & Jarrett Leon

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday Korrine from Ian and your twin birthday girl,
My gift to you is the promise of 14 days of constant prayer and reflection for one hour each day.That is the best gift I could think of to give you.
God Bless you Korrine..
Love from Debby and Ian

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Korrine! I hope your birthday wishes come true!

Brooke

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Korrine. I hope you get out of the hospital soon and are feeling better. You are a very special young women. We love you.

Anonymous said...

I can't think of a stronger person!! You Birthday girl.
I know your family will make your day very special..Here's wishing you pain free days ahead..
Our wishes to you!!
Our thoughts are with you and your family.
LOVE,
Lori Rauscher

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Korrine. May good news and a pain free day be your gift, on this special day - making this one of the best birthdays ever.

Sue said...

Happy 14th Birthday CutiePie!

I hope that your day is as special as you are. May you have all that you wish for today and always.

Love, hugs and prayers,
Sue Bakalar

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY KORRINE!

The sixth grade sunday school class at Trinity Baptist Church wants you to know that we speak of you each Sunday morning and we pray for your complete recovery every day. God Bless You and Stay Strong!

Your old SS Teach!
Gregg Fulton

Anonymous said...

Korrine,

Happy Birthday Sissy! I miss you. I wish you were at home. I got you a cool present.

I love you.

Your Brother,
Sean

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!
You've a new friend in me and am being joined by a wonderful prayer group that who holds you close in love and prayer. I hope you get a special wish granted today.
Much love to you and your family.

Anonymous said...

Hey Korrine,
Wishing you so much on your birthday!!! Especially Fun, Strength,and a BIG slice of Birthday Cake!!! We hope this finds you feeling good with a smile on your face!!!
Happy Birthday!!!
AJ, Wendy, Taylor, & Savannah Vasquez

Anonymous said...

Happy, Happy Birthday!

You are in our thoughts today and each day as we are true supporters of living strong!

Mrs. Katie Young Cortez & my 3rd grade class at Joe Michell

Lorri said...

Happy Birthday Korrine!
As soon as you are feeling well, I hope you can have the best party ever! Praying God's mercy over you today and that even in the hospital you have a joyful birthday...come to think of it, you were in a hospital with your mom 14 years ago today, and that was a joyous day for sure, so today can be too! Love, Lorri

Anonymous said...

Happy 14th Birthday, Korinne!!!

Make a wish-enjoy the day-and eat your favorite cake; what is your favorite cake?
Remember, your mind is a powerful tool, release your thoughts...your mind can take you anywhere on this special day.
Love, The Rauscher Family

Anonymous said...

Team KC is out in force today at Smith School in honor of your birthday! Know that we are all thinking of you and hoping for a pain-free day! We are all behind you and thinking of you constantly!

Anonymous said...

Many Happy 14th Birthday Blessings to you, Korrine! We hope you are up and around soon, so you can celebrate BIG!
Love,
The McNairs

BrianaMarieMartinez said...

Happy 14th Birthday Korrine!

Love,
Briana

Anonymous said...

Happy 14th Birthday, Korrine! We hope you have a wonderful day, full of birthday wishes coming true! We will be thinking and praying for you and your family today (and everyday!).

Love,
Gregg, Dawn, Tyler & Matthew Fulton

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
Have an amazing birthday Korrine.
Love,
The Hughes Family

Anonymous said...

YAY!
It's your birthday! It's your birthday! You better party (or i'll mkae you party) cause it's your birthday! :D

Happy birthday, korrine!
I can't wait to see you when you're feeling better (everyone knows you will get better.)

love,
Katie Morgan

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday Korrine!
I hope you have a wonderful birthday!

Love,
Madison

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Korinne.

The Campbell's

Anonymous said...

Happy, happy Birthday, Korrine!

It's a bummer to be in the hospital on your special day, but no matter where you are, everyone is celebrating you today! Our whole family is praying for you and we can't wait for you to feel better, get stronger and have a great time together.

You are exactly one month older than Katie today, so be sure to rub that in! :)

You're in our thoughts every single day. You're going to kick this, Korrine! God bless you today and every day and our love to your family, too!

We love you,
The Morgans - Steve, Vicki, Christopher, Stephanie, Alison & Katherine

Rita said...

Happy Birthday Korrine,

Hope you have a wonderful day with your family and friends. Many people are thinking of you on your special day.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Korrine!!

Hope you are feeling better and able to enjoy your special day.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you always..
Much love The Riddiough's

Anonymous said...

Happy 14th Birthday, Korrine!
May all your hopes and dreams come true today and every day.

Thinking of you today and always with love and well wishes,

The Palomba Family
Tina, Erik, and Nik

Anonymous said...

Korrine, Happy 14th birthday,
It was great to see you at the Water Polo games last Saturday.
Enjoy this special day and keep smiling. We are praying for you and hope you are feeling a lot better today.
Joe, Denise, Robert and Christopher

Anonymous said...

Good Morning Korrine & Happy 14th Birthday!

This is Croghan Day!

We celebrate you, Trevor (30) & Nicole (29) today!

I remember the night you were born so well. We were all at the hospital the night you were born waiting to get a look and hoping to hold you. Trevor was 16 and so excited to have you born on the same day! You have always been a very special daughter, granddaughter, niece, cousin, sister and friend!

You light up a room and light up our hearts!

When you are feeling up to it we will gather the family to celebrate with you!

Much love to you today tomorrow and always, Auntie Denise & Uncle Mark

Anonymous said...

Hi Korrine, I'll be praying for your birthday to be extra special just like you!!! We Love you, Have a Happy Happy 14th Birthday!!!
Love ya, Stacy christiansen and family were all praying for you Korrine!

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CROGHI!
I hope you have an amazing day!
Love from the Rosas

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Korrine! We are thinking happy thoughts for you today and everyday!!

The Young Family

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Korinne

We are praying for you. You were such a sweet toddler in our Sunday School class (I know that is a while ago). We loved you then and are so proud of the young woman you are.

Love, Laurie and Cindy

Anonymous said...

Warm wishes to you on your 14th birthday! You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Korrine!
We are thinking of you, sending love, prayers, and spiritual strength to you. We miss you and are hoping you are feeling better.
Love from Elise & Ellen Hedges

Kristi said...

Happy 14th Birthday!

With Admiration,
Happy Valley Hats - State College, PA.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Korrine!I love you so much and can't wait to see you soon. Stay positive, LIVESTRONG and know that we are thinking of you constantly.

Love, your cousin Tristen

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY KORRINE!
Wishing you a Wonderful 14th Birthday! We hope you are feeling better soon.
Love, Christian and Ana Neumann

Anonymous said...

Happy 14th Birthday Korrine! I hope that you are feeling better and that you are able to enjoy your special day. My family and I contine to think of you and send you are prayers.

Heather Heffel

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Korrine!!

I hope you are able to read all of these birthday wishes for your
14th birthday some time today. Surely they will make you smile. You can just feel love! You have a lot of people holding you in their hearts and prayers. Rest in that knowledge.

With love and birthday dreams,

Mary

Dana said...

Hey Korrine, its me Dana. I'm just writing to say happy birthday and I hope all goes well!! Hopefully, I can see you soon!!

Anonymous said...

Korrine
Happy Birthday korrine. i hope you get what you want and that you get out of the hospitle soon. Our whole class prays for you everday.
From Christopher Nilsen

Anonymous said...

Hi Korrine,

I just heard about your blog from my brother who swims for Cal..
I read your story and I have been touched and encouraged by the person you are. You have touched many in your 14 years. I can tell you truly are amazing..I bet you are a killer water polo player too.
My Birthday is on Sunday..when I make my birthday wish..I am going to wish complete healing for you.
Lots of love..LKM

Anonymous said...

Dear Korrine,

Happy Birthday Korrine. I sent a message yesterday, knowing how hard it is for you on this 14th birthday. But I pray you are feeling better today. I hope you can enjoy the little things. I know your family will make it a good birthday, and we are all praying for you, and thinking of you on your special day.

Yolanda

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY KORRINE. HOPE YOU HAVE THE BEST BIRTHDAY OF YOUR LIFE. I HOPE YOU GET YOUR WISH. AND I REALLY LIKE THE SONG ON YOUR BLOG IT SUITS YOU.
LOVE ALWAYS
KORRINA BOTELHO

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Korrine! We are praying for you and hope that you have some peace today. We love you!
Betsy, Jim, Emily and Nate Wilson

Anonymous said...

Korrine!!! Happy Birthday to you, you are in our thoughts and Prayers everyday and we wish your Day to be a great one. We love ya girlie hope to see you soon. Love Katie, Aimee Steve and Jackie Paredez Tell your Mom and Dad to give you a hug and kiss from us

Anonymous said...

Korrine Happy Birthday our Girl you are in our thoughts and Prayers everyday hope to see you soon, with love Katie, Aimee, Steve and Jackie Paredez

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, KORRINE!!

I've been thinking so much about you all week. (I even fell asleep last night wearing my Team KC t-shirt.)

I can't wait to see some pictures of the birthday celebration you'll have once you are out of the hospital. I know you'll be looking forward to celebrating "14" with your friends and family.

Wishing you much love and happiness! hugs and love, kathy t.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Korrine.
Wishing you peace and comfort and lots of love!
Mrs. Snyder and AM and PM Core at MMS :)

Anonymous said...

Heyy Korrine,

Happy Birthday =)

I hope all your dreams and wishes come true. You deserve them.
You're in my prayers.

Love,
Melissa Summers

dona murphy said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!YOU AND YOUR FAMILY STAY IN MY THOUGHTS, IN MY PRAYERS AND CLOSE TO MY HEART.

LOVE,

DONA MURPHY

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Korrine!

This day is all about you. Wonderful you.

We hope your wishes come true today.

Love,

Aiko, Paul, Kevin and Dale Spence

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Korrine, I hope you are enjoying a special day for you and your parents, particularly your mother. As you get older, consider sending your mom flowers or a card to remember that the day is special for her as well.
My brother, the pastor, and his prayer group are praying for you in Plymouth, CA and I am praying for you in Livermore....stay strong---you are in inspiration!!!
Alice

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Korriney!
You are such a beautiful and special young woman and we hope we are able to visit soon! Keep Fighting and we love you bunches.
The Dahls

Anonymous said...

Dear Korrine, I hopeyou have a wonderful Birthday! I Hope You Get Well Soon I Love You With All My Heart Thanks For Your Time Love, Savannah Vasquez Taylor Vasquez's Sister I Love You So Much

Anonymous said...

Wishing you a very "Happy Birthday"

Hope today you found comfort and joy!!

We are praying for you!!

The Micheli Family

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Korrine!!

We're hoping and praying that you are feeling better soon. We look forward to seeing you at the Lazer's games!

Love you,

The Hawkins Family

Unknown said...

Happy birthday love bug!!! I hope you've had a fabulous day and that you've been showing off that bright and beautiful 14 year old smile!! Everyone's been thinking of you and praying for you. Can't wait to see you back in that pool and showing people how water polo is supposed to be played! Hope to see you soon!!

Love you birthday girl!

Julie

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Korrine!!!!
U will always be in my prayers.
hope all ur wishes come true.

LOVE,
Victoria Mercado

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY KORRINE!!!!
U WILL ALWAYS BE IN MY PRAYERS.
HOPE ALL UR WISHES COM TRUE.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Korrine!!

I am a member of Trinity Baptist Church and just want to let you know that you and your family are in my prayers. I pray for peace, comfort and healing!!!
I also have my family in Maine and Florida praying for you!!!
Stay strong.
Love,
Holly Owens

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY KORRINE!!! i hope you have an amazing birthday and we're all praying for you. today at the lhs swim meet a bunch of us wore our team kc shirts or talked about you and how we love you=D

liveSTRONG!!! we love you girl
-Jaclyn Rice

Anonymous said...

Happy 14th Birthday Korrine!
There are wonderful promises in God's word concering you & your healing. "He sent his word, and healed them, and delivered them from their destruction." Psa 107:20Wonderful promises of His unfailing love, mercy and strength."Fear thou not, for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness." Isa 41:10.
Hope you enjoyed your Birthday with family & friends.
We Love You & are praying for you.
Lynn & Linda Owens (TBC)

April Liebman said...

Happy Birthday Korrine!
love,
April, Fabian, Sebastian, & Sophia

Anonymous said...

Heyyy!!!!!!
Idk if u know me,
IM ashliee taylor,
anyway,
Just wanted to say HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!
AND hoppeee you have a freaking great dayy!! =)

Hope ur back @ school soon,
See ya soon,
Ashlie =) <3

Anonymous said...

happy birthday korrine!!! We miss you! You'll get through this. Love, Rachel and Ariana

Anonymous said...

Dear Korrine, The Gutierrez Family is looking forward to swimming strong for you tomorrow morning! You are probably the only person that I would get into a speedo for!:) Our love and prayers are with you today. Love, Janice (for us all)

Anonymous said...

BIRTHDAY WISHES for an amazing, strong and couragous TEEN! YAHOO!

There's not a day that doesn't go by without a prayer for you and the family!

HAPPY 14th BIRTHDAY!!!!

Virtual Hugs & Smiles,
The Heinz Family
Johnny, Stacie, Tabby & Zac

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!!!!!!!!!!

i hope you like bunnies-
(\_/)
( .. )
(")(") <-bunny

hope you are feeling better
you are in our prayers

love,
Kirra, Glenda, and Rich Thornton

Wendie Lagasse said...

Dear Korrine and family,

My name is Wendie Lagasse and I live in Maine. Holly Owens is my sister, a member of your church, and she told me your story.

I want you to know that I will continue to pray for all of you, with a special request to our almighty God to heal you COMPLETELY Korrine.

I look forward to keeping updated on your blog. God bless,

Wendie

Mary Jane said...

Happy Birthday Korinne!!! We are praying for you and your family.

Much love to all of you,
Mary Jane and Dick Roberts

Anonymous said...

Hi Korrine, and Happy Birthday! You don't know me, but a friend of mine who teaches at HCLS told me about you and I've been praying for you ever since.
I have a story. My daughter (3 years old) after she got into bed said we had forgotten to do prayers (we had already done them, but she likes to procrastinate). I told her "You can pray anytime you want to, you don't need mommy to do it with you. She says, "I don't know how". I said "First you say Thank You to Jesus for something, then you tell him what you want. Like thank you for butterflies, then please help me to not be sassy to mommy, or help Korrine to get better." Then she says, "I know Mommy! Let's make her a heart tomorrow morning so she can feel better!"
Well, I thought that was just about the cutest thing, and although we didn't get to it this morning, don't be surprised if a decorated paper heart shows up on your doorstep from a 3 year old. We are all thinking about you and keeping you in our prayers.
With faith in your recovery,
Sarah Woolsey

Anja said...

Hey Korrine, Sorry I didn't say HAPPY BIRTHDAY earlier. My computer was not being nice to me. haha. I hope you had an amazing Birthday! love love Anja

Kathy Scarbrough said...

Dear Korrine,
I hope you had a wonderful
14th birthday! I am thinking about you and praying for you every day. You are so precious to all the people you know, as evidenced by the numerous comments that are posted on this blog.
Cheers to you, Korrine!
Love, Mrs. Scarbrough

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! Prayers continue to be lifted up for you and your family from Discovery Bay! God Bless You today and everyday.

Anonymous said...

DEAR KORRINE,
YOUR SWIM A THON TODAY WAS SO INCREDIABLY MOVING. I SWAM MY HEART OUT FOR YA KIDDO AS WELL AS SOOOOOO MANY MORE PEOPLE. I HAVE NEVER BEEN SO BLOWN AWAY IN MY LIFE FOR THE LOVE AND SUPPORT FOR YOU.WE ARE ALL SPLASHIN' FOR YA.
BIG SQUEEZY HUGS,
KAREN BLOM-BOSWELL
COUSIN TREAVOR'S OTHER MOM

Anonymous said...

Dear Korrine
I hope you had a great birthday I'm sorry this mesage is late because it didn't get sent. I hope you can come to more of our water polo games. we miss you
from robert

Unknown said...

Dear Korrine,

I have only seen you at swim team and around Mocho. You always had a smile on your face, You went to school and swam wit my daughters Carley and Raquelle. Your spirit and your families strength has inspired me. God has a special plan for you and the story is still untold. My prayer is that you continue to have a peace that can only come from the Holy Spirit and that your family can have the strength and perseverance that can only come from the Holy Spirit. God loves you and will fight for you for eternity. You have touched and changed many peoples lives and you always will.

Love and Prayers,
The McLevis Family
Britton, Debbie, Carley and Raquelle