"Let no one ever come to you without leaving better and happier. Be the living expression of God's kindness; kindness in your face, kindness in your eyes, kindness in your smile, kindness in your warm greeting."
Mother Teresa

Smile

Cancer stripped her of everything including her life but it could not steal away God's LOVE, PEACE and the JOY that radiated through her. Korrine never stopped SMILING!
Korrine Lannie Croghan

Korrine Croghan was a vivacious 14-year-old girl who lived all of her life in Livermore, CA. She had a love for animals, sports, and most of all, family. Korrine was a straight “A” student while attending Mendenhall Middle School and was working hard in her first trimester at Granada High. She was a great friend to many and was everything that a brother, mother and father could ask for in a daughter. Korrine was the type of girl who would greet you with a wide smile and look into your eyes and truly would want to know how you were doing

Korrine & Cancer

On December 20th, 2007, Korrine was diagnosed with Choriocarcinoma with a germ cell element. Choriocarcinoma is a very rare type of cancer in teenage girls and inflicts less than 200 nationwide each year. Although the cancer started in her left ovary, the cancer had spread to her right ovary, lungs and liver. After the removal of a cantaloupe sized tumor in her left ovary on December 21st of 2007, Korrine, endured 10 months of intense chemotherapy designed for adult men.

During the course of her treatment, Korrine suffered many complications. In early April of 2007, her liver began to bleed. After staying at Kaiser Oakland for almost two weeks, Korrine was transfered to UCSF and spent a month in the intensive care unit. The doctors at UCSF Medical Center were finally able to stop her bleeding liver, but, not before it filled her abdomen with 5 liters of blood that had to be drained via a tube inserted into her stomach. On top of that, both of Korrines’ lungs collapsed while undergoing a CT scan that almost took her life. Because of that, 2 liters of fluid needed to be drained off of her lungs with the use of another drainage tube. Throughout her treatment Korrine needed numerous blood and platelet transfusions. She had nosebleeds that lasted an hour on several occasions. At one point, she had 18 intravenous tubes running through her body filled with anti-bacterials, anti-fungals, nutrition, painkillers and chemotherapy. Korrine miraculously made it through those tough days at UCSF and returned to Kaiser Hospital in Oakland. She was finally stable and was released to go home in late June. Just as things were starting to look up for her, she suffered septic shock in July that forced her to go back into intensive care at Kaiser in Santa Clara for 2 weeks.

Korrine returned home in late July and went through imaging scans to see if the cancer had disappeared. The scans always came back good, but not great. In an effort to kill and stop the remaining cancer cells, she underwent an emergency round of chemotherapy in early September. Unfortunately, it did kill the remaining cancer and her doctors had run out of options.

Korrine spent her last days at home with her family reading books and loving on her cats and dog. She passed away quietly, at home, on October 27th, 2008. Through it all, Korrine had a positive attitude and never gave up or complained. Many consider Korrine a hero.

Team KC

The Team KC website was originally started as a way to encourage, educate, raise awareness, and keep friends and family informed with accurate information on Korrine's treatment and progress. Family, classmates, friends, community members, and complete strangers rallied to support Korrine and her family through her fight against Choriocarcinoma. We were amazed by the amount of support we received, and it is now our desire to give back. In March, 2009, Team KC became an official nonprofit by joining forces with Kaiser Foundation Hospital. All monies raised by Team KC will directly benefit pediatric cancer patients and their families. All monetary contributions are tax deductible.

Our Mission: To help improve the quality of life of pediatric cancer patients and their families. We wish to supply children with fun activities, toys and anything else that will brighten and better their lives. Monies will also be used to help parents pay for bills and defray the costs of gas, food and lodging that go along with caring for a child with cancer.

Stay Positive, LIVESTRONG & Welcome to Team KC!

*This is the official Team KC website and the only website approved by the Croghan family. Please do not use content, images, or video from this site without permission. This is an effort to respect the family's privacy and ensure that all content is accurate and approved. Thank you for your cooperation.
A Note From Korrine (written after her 4th round of Chemo)...

Hello everyone! It's me, Korrine. I just wanted to take a
moment to thank each and every one of you for supporting me through emails,
visits, food, gifts, and most importantly, prayer. Without it, I probably
wouldn't have made it this far. Anyways, on a happier note, I am happy to
announce that I am feeling very good. This last round of chemo hit me pretty
hard, but I think that it is more exiting to end things with a big BANG! I will
try to start writing things for the blog now that my chemo therapy is over, but
until then, just know that I love every single one of you and I am always
thinking about my family, friends, and even the people who I've never met
before. Thanks for joining my battle and for making this experience "The
Experience of a Lifetime." LIVESTRONG! And stay positive.

Korrine Lannie Croghan

Thursday, April 24, 2008

Korrine, Matt and Dana were able to get a bit of rest last night and the team of doctors kept her comfortable and stable overnight. Today, they will begin the detective work to identify and treat the bleeding. Matt and Dana are very confident in the new team at UC Med, however they know that the doctors and nurses at Kaiser did everything in their power to help Korrine. The Croghan family made some great connections with the staff at Kaiser and they love and appreciate everything that they did for Korrine.

Today, our prayer is that the doctors will be able to find and treat the source of bleeding in Korrine's liver.

35 comments:

Anonymous said...

Little Angel Korrine:

Prayers for you have been brought to Valley Christian Junior High School. Adam will see that all his classes start with a prayer for you and your family. We feel the UCSF staff will get you back on your feet in a very short time! We are rallying for you Korrine!!!!!
Trsih, Jeff and Adam

Anonymous said...

Praise God! We are continuing to ask God for Peace and for complete Healing. Thank you for the updates. They keep us on our knees for Korrine, the doctors and your entire family.
The Bauer Family

Anonymous said...

We heard of your fight through a friend.
Our prayers are with you sweetheart. You and your family are such an inspiration of faith and love. We love you all.

Kristi Southwick said...

I am so hapoy to hear you got a good night sleep and will continue to pray that the Dr's find the answers they are looking for

Sue said...

So glad to hear that you all had a restful night. Will continue to pray for guidance for the doctors and complete healing for CutiePie.
Stay strong and know we're with you.

Love and prayers,
Sue Bakalar

Anonymous said...

Thank the Lord! We will continue to pray. God Bless you all.

The Nagy Family

Anonymous said...

I am inspired by your story! I wish you the best of luck through your recovery! I pray for you all the time!

Anonymous said...

I was so pleased to read that everyone was able to get a night of restful sleep... that's so important as you begin this next part of your journey. You are in another set of good hands with those at UCSF and I'm glad that you were blessed with finding a specialist to help you on your road to recovery. When I read on the blog about the transfer, I couldn't help but feel that, not only were you blessed with the transfer, but that the staff and doctors at UCSF are also blessed because they now have the opportunity to get to know you and your wonderful family.

As we continue to pray for you and yours, we will now be including the newest members of TEAM KC... the UCSF doc's and nurses.

Stay STRONG -
Glenda, Richard & Kirra Thornton

Anonymous said...

The miracles have begun! Even a good night's sleep is a miracle at this time. I'm keeping you in my prayers at all times. God woke me up several times last night to pray for you and your new doctors. Take care and God bless.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for keeping us informed so that we can continue to pray specifically. Know that our hearts and our prayers are never far from you!

We love you guys!

The Sherman Family

Anonymous said...

We continue to pray for you, Korrine, and for your family. We are very happy to hear that you have a liver specialist on Team KC now at UCSF! We are optimistic that your new doctors will be able to help you and bring that beautiful smile back to your face. :) We know you are keeping the faith and everyone around the world is, too. You're surrounded by love and prayers to heal you!

Katie says, "Korrine is going to make it!" She and Missy are waiting to make another video! :)

With lots of love, hugs and prayers to you, Sean, Dana & Matt,

Steve, Vicki, Christopher, Stephanie, Alison & Katherine

Anonymous said...

That is wonderful that you all got some much needed rest and that she is comfortable.
We will pray that you find the answers you need and are able to get Korrine well again..
thank you so much again for all the updates as we all are checking it alot.
much love and continued prayers
The Riddioughs

Anonymous said...

You don't know me, Korrine, but I had the pleasure of meeting your sweet Mom at Smith School. We are new to Smith this year. I met her while I was working at yard duty one day. You have touched our lives, and are in our prayers daily. God bless you and your family.

Debbie Wittmer

Anonymous said...

Oh thank God!!

A restful night of sleep is just what you all needed to rebuild your strength and perserverence. The UCSF specialists will be able to find the problem and fix it soon. Tears of joy stream knowing that God is hearing and answering our prayers.

Thank you so much for the update. Still praying hard for beautiful Korrine!!

Anonymous said...

Korrine and family,

You are in our constant thoughts and prayers. We are so thankful that you were able to get some rest and we pray that the specialists at UCSF will be able to find the answers that are so needed at this time.
You are a shining light and truly an inspiration to us all!
God Bless!
The Reddicks Family
Todd, Kim, Katie & Matthew

Anonymous said...

As you are helped by the prayers and words of your friends, we are all reassured by your constant updates on Korrine's condition. If we personally cannot hold you to comfort you, we feel our words envelope you in hugs. We are honored to know the entire Croghan family. You are in our constant thoughts and prayers.

The Gary's

Mr. Murphy said...

Hi, korrine. You are such a strong and special young lady. I know this will be a good move for you and I am thinking of you and praying for you always.
Mr. Murphy

Anonymous said...

Praise God for the rest! Thank you for keeping us all updated on her progress...I continue to pray for you all.
UCSF is gonna be blessed by Korrine's presence as she & the rest of the family shine the light of the Lord during this difficult time!

Anonymous said...

I know it's hard to be patient and let God's plan unfold, but it's happening, one miracle at a time.

Janet Hemmig said...

Great news! We will keep the prayers going strong.

Love, Kyle, Janet & Chad

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing your very personal journey with us. Your entire family is such an inspiration. Many of us know you through our children. Matt and Dana, you have been such a wonderful influence for so many children, as coach, teacher and friend. Your ability to face this challenge with such strength, grace and hope is a lesson for all of us. We hope that it eases your burden a bit, knowing that so many of us are praying for Korrine and your family. Our hope is that the doctors will find answers quickly and that Korrine will be on the road to recovery again.

Gary and Mary Dreifuerst

Anonymous said...

Encouraging words that prayers are working! The prayers continue.
You are so amzaing with your strength....liveSTRONG!

Virtual Hugs,
The Heinz Family

Adam said...

Korrine-
You are fighting this like a true champion! I have been following along with your story the whole way.. You've encountered so many obstacles and maintained your trademark positive attitude throughout it all. To say that you are amazing is an understatement. You are such an awesome young lady. I've got you in my thoughts and prayers (I have a bunch of friends who I've shared your story with, and they're all praying for you too!!)
Lots of love to ALL the Croghans- Korrine, Sean, Matt, Dana

-Adam Dreifuerst

Anonymous said...

Very thankful that you were able to get some much needed rest. You are in good hands at UCSF and they are blessed to have an opportunity to meet you and work with you. I will continue to hold you in my thoughts and prayers as you and your new team of Doctors determine what your next step should be. I will continue to as for healing of Korrine from God. Bless you for sharing your story with us you are a wonderful positive family, truly it is a humbling experience to be a very small part of this. Take care and many prayers are being sent to you.

Anonymous said...

Small steps towards the big miracle that we are all praying for Korrine! So glad to hear that everyone rested well last night. We pray that God leads the hands of the doctors and nurses in helping find the cause of Korrine's bleeding so she may recover some strength and no longer be in pain.

Croghan family, THANK YOU for sharing your daughter with all of us!

The Muzzall Family

Anonymous said...

My wife works with the youth at Trinity in Livermore and she told me about Korrine (cool name by the way) and so I stopped by this site. My prayers are with you as well. May God give you peace. -Shane

Anonymous said...

So happy to hear that you got some rest Korrine!! we're all continuing to pray that the doctors at UCSF can find out whats causing the bleeding and know the next step to take... We love you Korrine!!!!

Jaclyn Rice

Anonymous said...

Croghan Family,
Your family's strength, courage and faith are an inspiration to us all. And maybe that causes you to think, what other choice do we have? So many other choices are out there, but you are choosing to look to God and your God given family to support, nuture and pray for you. We are here, those you know and those you don't, praying for you! Korrine, you are God's angel, and He will keep you safe!!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to hear the you guys had a good night's sleep. I'm praying for you. Keep fighting Korrine!

Love you and miss you!
Samm Tran

Anonymous said...

I've heard of your story from a family friend and I think of you all each and every day. My prayers continue each day that Korrine makes a full recovery. I know each day there are several milestones and I believe with the stregth of prayer and love from all will heal he her. God bless!

Anonymous said...

All of St. Charles Borromeo are praying for you along with so many others. Keep the faith.

Mary

Anonymous said...

Dear Croghan family

It breaks my heart to hear about all that is happening. I am one of Korrine's former schoolmates, Kerry (from PE). I moved to Maryland just last December and then I heard about Korrine and I couldn't believe it. I now not only look at Korrine as a smart, athletic, kind, happy, and gentle friend but as a hero. She had a smile that could cheer you up even when you are extremely depressed. She always built me up when I was down and supported me 100% and now I will support her. She not only has friends and families prayers but many of the East coasts prayers too. I can't imagine the pain she is going through. I believe she will continue to stay strong and positive as will I.

Stay strong
Love
Kerry stein

Kathy Scarbrough said...

Hi Korrine, Sean, Matt, and Dana,
Whew! Some good news for you! A good night's sleep is a blessing. It is so wonderful that Kaiser's medical staff was the best and I know they are already missing you. Now, the UCSF gets to have a very special light in their day! You continue to show everyone how faith in our Lord is so important. Thank you for everything you have taught us!
Love, Mrs. Scarbrough

Kfeliciano said...

I am praying for you and I hope you get better soon and your pretty and I hope you get better and so you can be with your friends and family. Take care God Bless you.

The Crosby Oettel Family said...

Korrine,

We love and pray for you, your family, and your team of doctors.

Keep strong

Liz James Ben and Pam