"Let no one ever come to you without leaving better and happier. Be the living expression of God's kindness; kindness in your face, kindness in your eyes, kindness in your smile, kindness in your warm greeting."
Mother Teresa

Smile

Cancer stripped her of everything including her life but it could not steal away God's LOVE, PEACE and the JOY that radiated through her. Korrine never stopped SMILING!
Korrine Lannie Croghan

Korrine Croghan was a vivacious 14-year-old girl who lived all of her life in Livermore, CA. She had a love for animals, sports, and most of all, family. Korrine was a straight “A” student while attending Mendenhall Middle School and was working hard in her first trimester at Granada High. She was a great friend to many and was everything that a brother, mother and father could ask for in a daughter. Korrine was the type of girl who would greet you with a wide smile and look into your eyes and truly would want to know how you were doing

Korrine & Cancer

On December 20th, 2007, Korrine was diagnosed with Choriocarcinoma with a germ cell element. Choriocarcinoma is a very rare type of cancer in teenage girls and inflicts less than 200 nationwide each year. Although the cancer started in her left ovary, the cancer had spread to her right ovary, lungs and liver. After the removal of a cantaloupe sized tumor in her left ovary on December 21st of 2007, Korrine, endured 10 months of intense chemotherapy designed for adult men.

During the course of her treatment, Korrine suffered many complications. In early April of 2007, her liver began to bleed. After staying at Kaiser Oakland for almost two weeks, Korrine was transfered to UCSF and spent a month in the intensive care unit. The doctors at UCSF Medical Center were finally able to stop her bleeding liver, but, not before it filled her abdomen with 5 liters of blood that had to be drained via a tube inserted into her stomach. On top of that, both of Korrines’ lungs collapsed while undergoing a CT scan that almost took her life. Because of that, 2 liters of fluid needed to be drained off of her lungs with the use of another drainage tube. Throughout her treatment Korrine needed numerous blood and platelet transfusions. She had nosebleeds that lasted an hour on several occasions. At one point, she had 18 intravenous tubes running through her body filled with anti-bacterials, anti-fungals, nutrition, painkillers and chemotherapy. Korrine miraculously made it through those tough days at UCSF and returned to Kaiser Hospital in Oakland. She was finally stable and was released to go home in late June. Just as things were starting to look up for her, she suffered septic shock in July that forced her to go back into intensive care at Kaiser in Santa Clara for 2 weeks.

Korrine returned home in late July and went through imaging scans to see if the cancer had disappeared. The scans always came back good, but not great. In an effort to kill and stop the remaining cancer cells, she underwent an emergency round of chemotherapy in early September. Unfortunately, it did kill the remaining cancer and her doctors had run out of options.

Korrine spent her last days at home with her family reading books and loving on her cats and dog. She passed away quietly, at home, on October 27th, 2008. Through it all, Korrine had a positive attitude and never gave up or complained. Many consider Korrine a hero.

Team KC

The Team KC website was originally started as a way to encourage, educate, raise awareness, and keep friends and family informed with accurate information on Korrine's treatment and progress. Family, classmates, friends, community members, and complete strangers rallied to support Korrine and her family through her fight against Choriocarcinoma. We were amazed by the amount of support we received, and it is now our desire to give back. In March, 2009, Team KC became an official nonprofit by joining forces with Kaiser Foundation Hospital. All monies raised by Team KC will directly benefit pediatric cancer patients and their families. All monetary contributions are tax deductible.

Our Mission: To help improve the quality of life of pediatric cancer patients and their families. We wish to supply children with fun activities, toys and anything else that will brighten and better their lives. Monies will also be used to help parents pay for bills and defray the costs of gas, food and lodging that go along with caring for a child with cancer.

Stay Positive, LIVESTRONG & Welcome to Team KC!

*This is the official Team KC website and the only website approved by the Croghan family. Please do not use content, images, or video from this site without permission. This is an effort to respect the family's privacy and ensure that all content is accurate and approved. Thank you for your cooperation.
A Note From Korrine (written after her 4th round of Chemo)...

Hello everyone! It's me, Korrine. I just wanted to take a
moment to thank each and every one of you for supporting me through emails,
visits, food, gifts, and most importantly, prayer. Without it, I probably
wouldn't have made it this far. Anyways, on a happier note, I am happy to
announce that I am feeling very good. This last round of chemo hit me pretty
hard, but I think that it is more exiting to end things with a big BANG! I will
try to start writing things for the blog now that my chemo therapy is over, but
until then, just know that I love every single one of you and I am always
thinking about my family, friends, and even the people who I've never met
before. Thanks for joining my battle and for making this experience "The
Experience of a Lifetime." LIVESTRONG! And stay positive.

Korrine Lannie Croghan

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Thank You Team K.C.

Dearest Team K.C. Just a little note to let you know all the wonderful things Team K.C. has been doing to bless the children with cancer this Christmas. Way Up Art And Frame in Livermore donated a tremendous amount of all sorts of wonderful art supplies for the children, Livermore Ale House has raised money for the children, Mitchell Katz Winery has raised close to four thousand dollars, Teddy Bears have been purchased for the children and also along with that ten dollars from every bear will be given back to the children. Gift cards of all sorts have been mailed to the pediatric oncology clinic for the children and their families. Yesterday, I went shopping with Renee Anhorn and we purchased more art supplies and things for the children to do as well as a digital camera and photo printer. We will be taking the kids a Christmas tree next week for the clinic and we will be decorating it. Neighbors have donated books and videos. We are still in need of DVD's for the children. This is just a few things we have done for the Pediatric Oncology Children and their Families. With the money Mitchell Katz Winery is raising we hope to purchase an incredible WII system from the Starbright Foundation. This WII system will come with everything you can imagine and it is built so that know one can walk off with it. The system is portable so it can travel from bed to bed.

One of Korrine's legacies is to always give back to the the kids with cancer and that is exactly what we will continue to do.

We thank all of you from the depths of our hearts. We could not have done this without you. You should all feel good about yourselves for the way you have cared for Korrine and other children with cancer. My prayer for you is that you would be blessed ten fold for your generousity and kindness.

Don't forget Mictcheel Katz Winery this Saturday the 13th from 12:00 to 5:00 P.M. Live music, Heavy Appetizers, Keepsake Gold Logo Wine Stem, and various varietal tasting. 1188 Vineyard Avenue Pleasanton, Ca. (925) 931-0744 No reservations required $20.00 per person includes all of the above. They have bottled special wines on behalf of Korrine Croghan.

Remember you can mail gift cards, DVD's and anything you would like to give to the children and their families to:
Kaiser Permanente Oakland Medical Center
280 West MacArthur Boulevard
Oakland, CA. 94611
(510) 752-7571
ATTN: Kim Sherman, L.C.S.W.
Clinical Social Worker

Items can also be dropped off on our porch and we will make sure they get to the Oncology clinic. I will be making several trips to the clinic next week to drop off all sorts of wonderful things on behalf of Korrine and Team K.C. next week.

The joy is in giving not receiving. I wan't to let you know how happy this makes Matt and I to know that with your help we can give back all of us (Team K.C.) especially at the Christmas Holiday.

Please never lose sight of how Korrine inspired all of us and let's not let that inspiration die with Korrine's passing. Let's keep it moving forward for generations.

All Our Love
Stay Positive and LiveSTRONG,
Dana and Matt Croghan

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Dana and Matt,

My heart is filled with love for your family and all of Team K.C. This post brought me to tears, of joy! Yes, the joy is most definitely in the Giving!!! :)

I am forever thankful to have come to know Korrine and her legacy WILL live on, in all of us, and in so many more through the years to come.

May God continue to Bless you.

Love and hugs~
Cindy Brian

Sue said...

Korrine remains with us always, as does the whole Croghan family. Thank you for letting us in, letting us be a part of your family and for letting us love you. I'm proud to be part of Team KC now and forever.

Love,
Sue

Anonymous said...

Amen!!! Again, I thank you for making the giving so easy for all of us. We will never lose sight of Korrine's inspiration, nor yours for that matter. Your family continues to inspire me.

The children in the pediatric unit will have a more blessed Christmas than they could ever imagine. Maybe we can help them take their minds of their battles for just a few moments by letting them know that we really do care.

If you ever need help with deliveries or collections or anything, I have a big SUV and free time during the day. Let me know.

God Bless you and Merry Christmas.

Wendy Campbell

Anonymous said...

Of course, Korrine will never be forgotten! And her legacy will remain, and grow, for a long, long time. Please be good to yourselves because I can't imagine how much you miss Korrine. Though her life was too short, it counted for so much. In Christ, from a member of Team KC

Anonymous said...

Dana and Matt,
I have to tell you that Korrine has not only inspired children with cancer, she has inspired adults, too! I am still in "treatments" for breast cancer and I have followed Korrine's blog. She is such a special girl! I have purchased bottles of the wine from Mitchell Katz and I brought it to my mom's house for Thanksgiving. It was our "special" wine for our dinner gathering.
Thank you so much for "giving" me her story, I truly feel her story has helped me get through my rough times.
I know this Christmas will be harder than any other you ever had, but please find peace that Korrine has touched so many of our lives. Please continue to use this website to keep us all informed on all the great work you are doing!
Not only has Korrine inspired me, you have definitely done so, too!
I thank you Croghan's!
God bless and LiveStrong!
Melanie Graham
melzgraham@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Matt and Dana,
All I can say is WOW! After my Dad passed away suddenly 2 years ago, I was in no shape, nor had the energy to be doing anything like what the two of you are doing to provide for these kids and to honor Korrine. I am impressed. I am inspired. I am humbled. I know that you cannot image not doing what you are doing, and that your angel Korrine gives you great strength. But no matter where the strength is coming from, you both are amazing, nonetheless.

I thought you might like to know that I still think of Korrine everytime I hug and kiss my kids goodnight. And I am still more patient and more loving to my kids because of Korrine's love.

Matt, on a side note, I work in Pleasanton, and would love to try to catch up with you over lunch one day...maybe during spring or summer break for you. No rush.

Your Friend,
Julie Rice Thall

Anonymous said...

Hey There!

Wow...The Croghan family continues to amaze me. Thank you for letting us be part of giving and not receiving.

Liz Ben Pam James

Anonymous said...

Dear Matt and Dana,
You are an amazing family! This world is a better place because of your family! Korrine was such an inspiration and her legacy will live on! She will always be remembered. You are doing so much for other families who are going through what you did. My giftcards and movies are in the mail! I have learned from you how to be a better parent! You are role models to all. Thank you for all you are doing!
May God Bless You!

Anonymous said...

Matt, Dana and Sean
God Bless this season especially, as I am sure it will be one of the hardest to get through; please know that all of us reading the blog are lifting you all in prayer everyday thru the season, and afterwards. Korrine is here, everyday, every prayer, every moment, doing something for someone. I received an email the other day with the words of Dr. Seuss: "Don't cry because its over, smile because it happened".
I wish you a smile a day and lots of love this season.
Lisa Clark

Anonymous said...

We will see you at the Winery tomorrow around noon! Much love, Auntie Denise & Uncle Mark

Anonymous said...

How could one ever forget what Korrine has meant and the impact she has had and continues to have in so many lives literally around the world! Never would ANYONE think that Korrine's earthly journey was traveled in vain. From those whose faith was perhaps waining, to those that had never been a believer in the Almighty, to other cancer patients both young and old. Korrine and the entire Croghan family contine to be an inspiration, an extension of hope for all who want to make a difference. Those who want to be a part of something special. The love, unselfishness, faith and pure determination serve to bolster those you touch.

A

Anonymous said...

Dear Dana, Matt and Sean,

Korrine is so very much in our hearts! Everything about the holidays, everyday living, and the focus of our hearts have a deeper, more meaningful purpose. Not so quick to jump out of bed each day for 'just another day'.

Thank you for allowing us to be a part of Korrine's amazing legacy through her blog.

Love to you all,

The Gilberts

Anonymous said...

Korrine lives forever in all of us that she touched and those of us she will continue to touch.

Anonymous said...

Dear Dana, Matt, and Sean,

It is wonderful to read all the wonderful things Team KC is doing. I know Korrine is smiling, her beautiful smile... watching this all happen.

People are thankful for a way to honor your family. I know I've written this a few times before... but every time I see a yellow LIVESTRONG bracelet, I think of Korrine. Yes, there is one on my wrist... always!

hugs and much love, kathy t.

Anonymous said...

Matt and Dana,
Wow, you both continue to inspire me I am awe of you both and your amazing family. My God bless you and hold you this Christmas season and please know that you are in the hearts of so many that have grown to know you and your amazing family.

You are both amazing and I wish you much love and I am so thankful that I got to know your beautiful daughter thru this blog.

May God Bless you as you heal and do your amazing good works for other children with Cancer.

Anonymous said...

Dear Matt & Dana,

I'm not sure how else to reach you, but I wanted to let you know how Korrine's legacy is touching the kids here at UCSF. On my way in to work today, I reached into my bag and found the angel pin from Korrine's service. I've kept it as a reminder of her sweet spirit, and smiled to myself. Once I got to work, I was assigned a new patient, a 13 year old girl with AML, who happens to be in Korrine's old room, 753. She & her family are having a rough time right now. To help them cope, they have decorated her room for Christmas, complete with a tree decorated all with angels. This is particularly sweet since the patient's first name is Angel. All day I've been trying to reach out to her & her family to help them cope and to let them know they are not alone. It wasn't until I got home tonight, though, that I swear I heard Korrine's voice telling me to give her that angel pin in my bag. I'll be back to work tomorrow, and plan on sharing that pin with her first thing in the morning. It may be a small gesture, but I know it will help her tremendously.

I just wanted to share how Korrine really touched us all, and how I believe she continues to look out for those in need...

I hope you are all well.

With love,
Donna, UCSF RN

Sue said...

Hi Croghans!

Just thinking of you and praying with you for strength and peace this holiday season. What you are doing for others is inspirational. Thank you for letting us join and enjoy Korrine's legacy. I have been thinking of you for many days now, but not posting, however on my way home today "Calling All Angels" came on the radio and I knew an angel was leading me to come here and tell you that you're in my heart.

Love you all,
Sue

*It was so great seeing Sean at the Granada basketball tourney... he's such a great kid!

Anonymous said...

I found this and thought it might have meaning for you.



"I know for certain that we never lose the people we love, even to death. They continue to participate in every act, thought and decision we make. Their love leaves an indelible imprint in our memories. We find comfort in knowing that our lives have been enriched by having shared their love."
Leo F. Buscaglia

Anonymous said...

Dana, Matt and Sean,

Thinking of you today and always! Sending positive thoughts and energy to you throughout the holiday season.

We know that your lives changed forever... just about a year ago. Allowing us to share, care and pray for Korrine and your family has opened our eyes to things we might not know.

My daughter recently learned that a co-worker's daughter, 2 years old, had been diagnosed with cancer. We knew right away... some of the immediate things that would help, like gift cards for gas and necessitites while the child started her chemo.

It was rainy today and then the sun started coming through the clouds. I was driving home for lunch and I tried to look for the rainbow but couldn't find it while driving.

BUT I KNOW IT WAS THERE... AND IT WAS KORRINE!

hugs and much love, kathy t.

Anonymous said...

Matt, Dana and Sean,

I am always thinking of you and praying that you are surrounded with God's love and mercy. I know this is a difficult time of year when you have lost someone you love. Korrine is living on through your family and she is still spreading her message of love and joy. Thank you for all you are doing for others. It helps us all to see such a wonderful outpouring of love.

Merry Christmas Kroghan Family!
Cindy Vance

Anonymous said...

Dana, Matt, Sean,

I am praying for you even more this week. It is difficult for me and I know it is difficult for you too.

Dianne Duffy

Lorri said...

Remember you and Korrine today. Praying for your family.

Love, Lorri

Sue said...

Croghan Family...

Wishing you all much love and peace today and always.

Love,
Sue

Kim Sherman said...

On Mother's Day from Kim Sherman, Kaiser Social Worker, to you, Matt and Dana and family,

Korrine is your shining star, your light, your inspiration, your dear baby girl and daughter forever.

I hope you celebrate Mother's Day as Korrine's forever mom and give Sean lots of hugs even as you might shed tears...Love knows no bounds and Korrine is with you with every breath as you love and celebrate the gift of her life...

I am sending you love and good thoughts and so sorry that I missed the fundraiser last night because I was at Kaiser ER for stitches...