"Let no one ever come to you without leaving better and happier. Be the living expression of God's kindness; kindness in your face, kindness in your eyes, kindness in your smile, kindness in your warm greeting."
Mother Teresa
Cancer stripped her of everything including her life but it could not steal away God's LOVE, PEACE and the JOY that radiated through her. Korrine never stopped SMILING!
Korrine Lannie Croghan
Korrine Croghan was a vivacious 14-year-old girl who lived all of her life in Livermore, CA. She had a love for animals, sports, and most of all, family. Korrine was a straight “A” student while attending Mendenhall Middle School and was working hard in her first trimester at Granada High. She was a great friend to many and was everything that a brother, mother and father could ask for in a daughter. Korrine was the type of girl who would greet you with a wide smile and look into your eyes and truly would want to know how you were doing
Korrine & Cancer
On December 20th, 2007, Korrine was diagnosed with Choriocarcinoma with a germ cell element. Choriocarcinoma is a very rare type of cancer in teenage girls and inflicts less than 200 nationwide each year. Although the cancer started in her left ovary, the cancer had spread to her right ovary, lungs and liver. After the removal of a cantaloupe sized tumor in her left ovary on December 21st of 2007, Korrine, endured 10 months of intense chemotherapy designed for adult men.
During the course of her treatment, Korrine suffered many complications. In early April of 2007, her liver began to bleed. After staying at Kaiser Oakland for almost two weeks, Korrine was transfered to UCSF and spent a month in the intensive care unit. The doctors at UCSF Medical Center were finally able to stop her bleeding liver, but, not before it filled her abdomen with 5 liters of blood that had to be drained via a tube inserted into her stomach. On top of that, both of Korrines’ lungs collapsed while undergoing a CT scan that almost took her life. Because of that, 2 liters of fluid needed to be drained off of her lungs with the use of another drainage tube. Throughout her treatment Korrine needed numerous blood and platelet transfusions. She had nosebleeds that lasted an hour on several occasions. At one point, she had 18 intravenous tubes running through her body filled with anti-bacterials, anti-fungals, nutrition, painkillers and chemotherapy. Korrine miraculously made it through those tough days at UCSF and returned to Kaiser Hospital in Oakland. She was finally stable and was released to go home in late June. Just as things were starting to look up for her, she suffered septic shock in July that forced her to go back into intensive care at Kaiser in Santa Clara for 2 weeks.
Korrine returned home in late July and went through imaging scans to see if the cancer had disappeared. The scans always came back good, but not great. In an effort to kill and stop the remaining cancer cells, she underwent an emergency round of chemotherapy in early September. Unfortunately, it did kill the remaining cancer and her doctors had run out of options.
Korrine spent her last days at home with her family reading books and loving on her cats and dog. She passed away quietly, at home, on October 27th, 2008. Through it all, Korrine had a positive attitude and never gave up or complained. Many consider Korrine a hero.
Team KC
The Team KC website was originally started as a way to encourage, educate, raise awareness, and keep friends and family informed with accurate information on Korrine's treatment and progress. Family, classmates, friends, community members, and complete strangers rallied to support Korrine and her family through her fight against Choriocarcinoma. We were amazed by the amount of support we received, and it is now our desire to give back. In March, 2009, Team KC became an official nonprofit by joining forces with Kaiser Foundation Hospital. All monies raised by Team KC will directly benefit pediatric cancer patients and their families. All monetary contributions are tax deductible.
Our Mission: To help improve the quality of life of pediatric cancer patients and their families. We wish to supply children with fun activities, toys and anything else that will brighten and better their lives. Monies will also be used to help parents pay for bills and defray the costs of gas, food and lodging that go along with caring for a child with cancer.
Stay Positive, LIVESTRONG & Welcome to Team KC!
*This is the official Team KC website and the only website approved by the Croghan family. Please do not use content, images, or video from this site without permission. This is an effort to respect the family's privacy and ensure that all content is accurate and approved. Thank you for your cooperation.
A Note From Korrine (written after her 4th round of Chemo)...
Hello everyone! It's me, Korrine. I just wanted to take a
moment to thank each and every one of you for supporting me through emails,
visits, food, gifts, and most importantly, prayer. Without it, I probably
wouldn't have made it this far. Anyways, on a happier note, I am happy to
announce that I am feeling very good. This last round of chemo hit me pretty
hard, but I think that it is more exiting to end things with a big BANG! I will
try to start writing things for the blog now that my chemo therapy is over, but
until then, just know that I love every single one of you and I am always
thinking about my family, friends, and even the people who I've never met
before. Thanks for joining my battle and for making this experience "The
Experience of a Lifetime." LIVESTRONG! And stay positive.
Korrine Lannie Croghan
Dearest Team K.C.,
Merry Christmas. As I reflect back to a year ago when Korrine was diagnosed with cancer on December 20, 2007, I remember feeling on Christmas day that Christmas meant more to me than ever before. For the first time I realy understood the meaning of Christmas and that Christ's birth on Christmas meant that we truly had Hope. Hope in Christ. Throughout Korrine's ten and a half month battle we never lost Hope. Hope kept us going and our Faith comforted us and the Power of Prayer kept all of us uplifted and I knew when I was desperate I could ask for prayer. We felt your prayers carrying us and your prayers gave Korrine Strength, Hope and Comfort and we saw many miracles and answered prayer. It was a miracle she made it one month from original diagnosis. It was a miracle she made it out of UCSF intensive care and it was a miracle she could do 10 rounds of chemotherapy just to name a few.
This Christmas we gave 113 teddy bears to the oncology clinic along with a check for 1,300.00 dollars. We gave art supplies, movies, games, dvd's, Christmas Tree with ornaments, digital camera, two photo printers, books, gas cards, grocery cards, movie rental cards, book store gift cards. Donations were made to the Make A Wish Foundation in Korrine's name and donations were also made to the LiveStrong foundation in Korrine's name. A Gingerbread House was made by a Pastry Chef and auctioned all money goes to the Pediatric Cancer patients and Mitchell Katz Winery has raised around five thousand dollars for the Pediatric Oncology Clinic at Kaiser Oakland. We will continue to do our part to help children with cancer and their families. The Team K.C. Foundation will continue to meet the needs of children with cancer and their families in honor of our daughter Korrine and her amazing story.
We have the hope of Heaven because of Jesus birth on Christmas day. We can't wait to see our daughter again and live an eternity in Heaven together. This is what comforts us and enables us to move forward even though the hurt will never go away until we meet again.
Merry Christmas and we thank you from the depths of our souls for all you have done.
Merry Christmas
Stay Positive and LiveSTRONG,
Dana and Matt Croghan
28 comments:
I just wanted to let you know that you all are very close to my heart this Christmas and always.
It is great to hear that Korrine's legacy is strong and meaningful. She will continue to give all of us hope and strength.
With love and friendship,
Julie Knight
We thank God that He is the God of HOPE. We thank Christ for coming to earth. He is mighty to save, and He defeated death...so we could could live, and we could have HOPE. Praise Him that Korinne is alive with Him even now! Even so, we miss her very much and we are sorry that she is not with you, physically with you, this Christmas. You will see her again, and I will get to meet her someday!
Matt,Dana and Sean,
we are sending our christmas wishes,YOU will be forever in our hearts.
What a beautiful post, and so happy Team KC is giving back.... I am sure the children enjoyed those precious little bears...
Our love to you,
Lori and Bob Rauscher
Merry Christmas! Our thoughts are with you. I can just imagine the little one's faces at Kaiser when they saw what you brought from Team KC. Korrine has made a strong impact on those who knew her or followed the blog. Through her, there is a new awareness for most of us of the needs and difficulties of families dealing with pediatric cancer. I can see Team KC bringing hope to many families to come. Hope is the best gift of all.
love,
April, Fabian, Sebastian, & Sophia
We continue to be amazed by your faith, strength, your beautiful hearts.
We remember Korrine and are grateful for what she has taught us. I'm not the same because of her as are so many others. We are more appreciative of the little things and choose to be thankful despite our own challenges knowing that Korrine faced so many with such courage, strength, and amazing grace. She is our hero and we know she is yours!
Thank you Father for this beautiful young girl and this amazing family. Thank you for the giving us the grace we need and for teaching us to love more and to have an attitude of gratitude. We are so inspired by each of you. Thank you Croghan family. You are truly amazing.
We wish you three peace, love and hope on this Christmas Day.
May the coming year bring new happy memories.
Korrine will always be in your hearts (and ours) . . . there is a wonderful comfort in knowing you don't have to go far to find her.
Bless you all!
The Clark Family
Dear Matt, Dana and Sean,
You probably have no idea who I am....I live on the east coast and have been reading Korrine's blog since the beginning. I am not even sure how I stumbled across it now....but my children and I got to know Korrine through reading and then praying for her; for you guys.
You talk about hope....we had hoped for her too. In fact, I was checking on her daily, and when we read that she had gone on to be with our Father in Heaven, well, I could not stop crying. I know that God knows all things, and that we share incredible faith and trust in Him. However, it is hard to miss someone. I know in many ways how you feel---I have lost a baby, and although Korrine was not a baby, the feeling is one you could never even begin to describe. It hurts, and although time and life dull it, it never truly goes away.
I share Paul's words, as I pray that "God, the source of hope, will fill you completely as you love and trust in Him." I pray for your hearts and for your arms that long to hold her once again. I pray that God will remind you of her often and that your family will be safe from the buffetings of Satan, who would so love to see your family fall apart.
I admire your time spent continuing to give back and help those who are still fighting. Your cause is commendable.
I pray for you guys. I pray that you will know peace and that it will help you to know that people around the country, whom you may never, ever know, are praying for you without ceasing.
I wish things were different. Since they are not, I pray that God will hold you....
Humbly and merry, merry CHRISTmas,
Becky
Croghan's,
I've been with you since the beginning and will be here until the end. You have increased my Faith and Hope and I want to say Thank You today.
Thank you for sharing everything. It means more than any of my words can describe.
Have an amazing Christmas and wonderful New Year. You are always on my mind.
Love and Prayers,
Alex Accornero :)
One of my fondest, perhaps my most fond memory of 2008, was meeting Korrine in person.
I am so happy to know your family and I admire how you have chosen to give back, even this first year, to those whose pain you know and share. I pray that God's mercy is very real to you this season and these slow motion days.
Love, Lorri
Merry Christmas. Thank you for continuing to be an inspriration. I think of you and Korrine daily and check this blog several times a week. Wishing you Peace, Joy and Love this Christmas and many blessings in 2009. My prayers will continue to be with you and your family. God Bless You!
we love you and pray DAILY
Thanks for the update and for sharing all the wonderful things that are happening as a result of Korrine's illness. I am constantly in awe and amazed at the way God works in the midst of our trials and difficulties. He is SO good and I am so thankful that he truly is the God of Hope. I know that you are missing Korrine terribly! It is so exciting to see the way that you are carrying out Korrine's desire to help other cancer patients and their families. She was truly an angel here on earth! God bless you all!
Thank you for this update. What a legacy your daughter has started. I cannot wait to meet her in Heaven!
I am so sorry you are not all celebrating, physically, together this Christmas but I praise God for all the time, all the miracles, and all the answered prayers...May you find peace & comfort and joy knowing your daughter lives through those she has touched-her smile etched in our minds and her courage & faith an example to follow.
May God Bless you during this season. You are loved. Thank you for the gift you gave us all!
Dana, Matt and Sean,
Thank you for the beautiful, heartfelt message at Christmas-time. I am sure that those teddy bears have brought smiles to many children... in the same way that Korrine always smiled. The gift cards will surely help with the added and unexpected expenses when families are so focused on their child... and are away from home.
Your strength and faith... and the comfort you offer us, is truly inspiring.
Our thoughts and prayers are always with you... and WE DO carry Korrine's love of life with us. Those few extra hugs for family and friends, those extra, "I love yous" are inspired by all of you!
hugs and love, kathy t.
Dana, Matt and Sean ~
Thinking of you and sending love and thanks for including us in Korrine's life and legacy. You continue to remind us of what's important in life and that is love and giving.
In love and hope,
Sue
I believe we see miracles every day, but the most amazing miracle of 2008 was the beautiful smile always on Korrines sweet face and the spirit inside of her that made so very many instantly fall in love with your amazing family.
Thank-you for blessing all of us by sharing the miracle.
julie gilmore
YOU'RE AWESOME !!!
Love,
Roger Accornero
It makes me smile to see that Team KC is strong and making a difference to so many people. I think about you daily and wish you added strength during the holidays.
Tracy Karter
We love you Matt, Dana & Sean! He is our Hope! Heaven is real and we will see Korrine again! Keep looking up! Keep loving God & other! Keep the faith! And keep giving back! We will too! Uncle Mark, Auntie Denise & family
We love you Matt, Dana & Sean! He is our Hope! Heaven is real and we will see Korrine again! Keep looking up! Keep loving God & other! Keep the faith! And keep giving back! We will too! Uncle Mark, Auntie Denise & family
Dear Dana, Matt, and Sean. I am praying for you all still and know how difficult it can be over the holidays when one of our closest is in heaven. I am praying for the peace that only our Father in heaven can give. I will pray that as you go through this season of loss that you will find a deeper comfort in the One who gave you Korrine. I am so so sorry that this is part of your journey. I know just how hard it can be. But I also know that God can and will comfort you all. Please know I will continue to pray for you, and feel so privilidged to do so. God bless you and hold our Father close.
sandi kellman
You don't know me, but I found out about Korrine through a former co-worker and prayed for all of you this past year. Reading this gave me chills throughout my entire body. All I can say is, "what wonderful people". I am truly touched by all you have gone through, your continued faith, and the positive things you have chosen to do in spite of such a horrible loss. The world needs more people like you. I lost a daughter at birth a couple of years ago and your deep faith is definitely inspirational. May God bless you all.
-Lisa
Happy Holidays and we think of you during this season. We love all you do in Korrine's name and thank you for letting us be a part of it. You are a true inspiration of hope and faith. Love you and let you light shibe, The Xaviers
Dana, Matt, and Sean,
I just wanted you to know that you are in my thoughts often. We saw a Team KC shirt in Disneyland last month! Her story reached so many and changed all of our lives for the better. Bless you and thank you for sharing Korrine's life with us.
Love, Jill Leever
Matt, Dana, and Sean, I've been thinking about your beautiful family every day. I'm at a loss for words. Your strength never ceases to amaze me. korrine has taught me to be a better person. You're an inspiration to me and my children. All my love to you.
Kristi H.
Dear Sean, Dana, and Matt,
Christmas Blessings to you. Thank you for the heartfelt message. I continue to pray for your family and Korrine and the gifts that you have brought us all. I pray that the Lord will continue to give you hope and love in the New Year!
Love, Mrs. Scarbrough
Dana, Matt, and Sean,
It is wonderful to read the posts and see so many familiar names. Names of friends, family, and people you don't even know... sho have been touched by Korrine, her journey and your journey too. The names that make up TEAM KC. I loved reading that a Team KC t-shirt was spotted in Disneyland!
I also know that many, many people also visit the site often, they just don't know what to say... but I know you feel their warmth and their prayers... and you know they are there.
May we all honor Korrine and YOU by Staying Positive and Living Strong in the New Year ahead!
hugs and love, kathy t.
Hi Croghan family!
I pray that you all have total peace, continued strength and hope along with much love in the new year.
Love,
Sue
Post a Comment