"Let no one ever come to you without leaving better and happier. Be the living expression of God's kindness; kindness in your face, kindness in your eyes, kindness in your smile, kindness in your warm greeting."
Mother Teresa
Cancer stripped her of everything including her life but it could not steal away God's LOVE, PEACE and the JOY that radiated through her. Korrine never stopped SMILING!
Korrine Lannie Croghan
Korrine Croghan was a vivacious 14-year-old girl who lived all of her life in Livermore, CA. She had a love for animals, sports, and most of all, family. Korrine was a straight “A” student while attending Mendenhall Middle School and was working hard in her first trimester at Granada High. She was a great friend to many and was everything that a brother, mother and father could ask for in a daughter. Korrine was the type of girl who would greet you with a wide smile and look into your eyes and truly would want to know how you were doing
Korrine & Cancer
On December 20th, 2007, Korrine was diagnosed with Choriocarcinoma with a germ cell element. Choriocarcinoma is a very rare type of cancer in teenage girls and inflicts less than 200 nationwide each year. Although the cancer started in her left ovary, the cancer had spread to her right ovary, lungs and liver. After the removal of a cantaloupe sized tumor in her left ovary on December 21st of 2007, Korrine, endured 10 months of intense chemotherapy designed for adult men.
During the course of her treatment, Korrine suffered many complications. In early April of 2007, her liver began to bleed. After staying at Kaiser Oakland for almost two weeks, Korrine was transfered to UCSF and spent a month in the intensive care unit. The doctors at UCSF Medical Center were finally able to stop her bleeding liver, but, not before it filled her abdomen with 5 liters of blood that had to be drained via a tube inserted into her stomach. On top of that, both of Korrines’ lungs collapsed while undergoing a CT scan that almost took her life. Because of that, 2 liters of fluid needed to be drained off of her lungs with the use of another drainage tube. Throughout her treatment Korrine needed numerous blood and platelet transfusions. She had nosebleeds that lasted an hour on several occasions. At one point, she had 18 intravenous tubes running through her body filled with anti-bacterials, anti-fungals, nutrition, painkillers and chemotherapy. Korrine miraculously made it through those tough days at UCSF and returned to Kaiser Hospital in Oakland. She was finally stable and was released to go home in late June. Just as things were starting to look up for her, she suffered septic shock in July that forced her to go back into intensive care at Kaiser in Santa Clara for 2 weeks.
Korrine returned home in late July and went through imaging scans to see if the cancer had disappeared. The scans always came back good, but not great. In an effort to kill and stop the remaining cancer cells, she underwent an emergency round of chemotherapy in early September. Unfortunately, it did kill the remaining cancer and her doctors had run out of options.
Korrine spent her last days at home with her family reading books and loving on her cats and dog. She passed away quietly, at home, on October 27th, 2008. Through it all, Korrine had a positive attitude and never gave up or complained. Many consider Korrine a hero.
Team KC
The Team KC website was originally started as a way to encourage, educate, raise awareness, and keep friends and family informed with accurate information on Korrine's treatment and progress. Family, classmates, friends, community members, and complete strangers rallied to support Korrine and her family through her fight against Choriocarcinoma. We were amazed by the amount of support we received, and it is now our desire to give back. In March, 2009, Team KC became an official nonprofit by joining forces with Kaiser Foundation Hospital. All monies raised by Team KC will directly benefit pediatric cancer patients and their families. All monetary contributions are tax deductible.
Our Mission: To help improve the quality of life of pediatric cancer patients and their families. We wish to supply children with fun activities, toys and anything else that will brighten and better their lives. Monies will also be used to help parents pay for bills and defray the costs of gas, food and lodging that go along with caring for a child with cancer.
Stay Positive, LIVESTRONG & Welcome to Team KC!
*This is the official Team KC website and the only website approved by the Croghan family. Please do not use content, images, or video from this site without permission. This is an effort to respect the family's privacy and ensure that all content is accurate and approved. Thank you for your cooperation.
A Note From Korrine (written after her 4th round of Chemo)...
Hello everyone! It's me, Korrine. I just wanted to take a
moment to thank each and every one of you for supporting me through emails,
visits, food, gifts, and most importantly, prayer. Without it, I probably
wouldn't have made it this far. Anyways, on a happier note, I am happy to
announce that I am feeling very good. This last round of chemo hit me pretty
hard, but I think that it is more exiting to end things with a big BANG! I will
try to start writing things for the blog now that my chemo therapy is over, but
until then, just know that I love every single one of you and I am always
thinking about my family, friends, and even the people who I've never met
before. Thanks for joining my battle and for making this experience "The
Experience of a Lifetime." LIVESTRONG! And stay positive.
Korrine Lannie Croghan

Dear Team K.C.
It has been a while since our last post. Today is one month since Korrine went to be with the Lord. We wanted to thank everyone who attended Korrine's Celebration of Life. Over 1500 people attended and we were deeply touched by all who attended. We also want to thank the staff and church members of Crosswinds Church for allowing us to use their facilities. Thank you to Pastor Jim Meek and our friends at Trinity Baptist Church. We love you very much. To the people at Checkers catering, you did an awesome job and the food was wonderful.
We have a lot to be thankful for and these are just a few. We live in a great community that supports one another. We have an amazing son. We have good health and we have our faith that will pull us through these hard times. We are thankful for family and friends. We are thankful for Korrine. Korrine will always be with us and we miss her beyond words. We are thankful for Team K.C. Hopefully you will have time today to think about what you are thankful for.
Some upcoming Team K.C. events to support children with cancer and their families are:
Mitchell Katz Winery is selling Team K. C. wine. They have bottled a new wine which I hear is wonderful and $7.00 from every bottle will go directly to Kaiser Oakland Pediatric Oncology. Team K. C. wine can be purchased at Mitchell Katz Winery in the tasting room at anytime. Join us December 13th at Mitchell Katz Winery for a Wine Release Event located at: 1188 Vineyard Avenue Pleasanton, Ca. for more information call 925-931-0744. Please join us in purchasing Team K.C. wine to give as gifts and the proceeds will support children with cancer and their families.
If you would like to mail gift cards for the Christmas holiday to Kaiser Oakland Oncology to support children with cancer and their families at this very difficult time of year i.e. (gas cards, grocery cards, blockbuster video cards, visa gift cards etc.) Remember Korrine was diagnosed on December 20th 2007 with Mixed Germ Cell Choriocarcinoma stage IV. Her Chemotherapy started on January 1, 2008. So we know how hard it is at this time of year. Please help us in giving back in support of Korrine. Every little bit helps even if it is only a $5.00 gift card.
Gift Cards can be mailed to the following address on behalf of Korrine Lannie Croghan:
Kaiser Permanent Oakland Medical Center
280 West MacArthur Boulevard
Oakland, Calif. 94611
Attn: Kim Sherman
Clinical Social Worker
Team K.C. is also in the process of putting together a Wii system for the Pediatric Oncology Clinic and we are also gathering art supplies, video's which are much needed and Teddy Bears to hand out on Christmas morning to the oncology kids spending Christmas in the hospital. Last year Korrine woke up in the hospital to a beautiful white teddy bear that was put on her hospital bed early in the morning Christmas morning.
Please continue to check the blog to be informed of upcoming blood drives, fund raisers and events all to support the children we love so much and who need us. These are children with cancer and we never want them to be forgotten.
We will be posting a video of Korrine's Celebration of Life in the near future.
Stay Positive and LiveSTRONG!
Dana and Matt Croghan
34 comments:
Dear Croghan Family,
My thoughts are with you on this Thanksgiving day. I am thinking of the things in my life to be thankful for and one of them is to have witnessed the life of of Korrine. She was a blessing on earth and now in heaven as she watches over you.
May you always feel her love as you do God's.
Anonymous
Dear Croghan Family,
On this Thanksgiving morning, I am thinking of the things I am thankful for and one of them is witnessing the life of Korrine. I never met her but she touched my heart.
May God and the angel Korrine watch over you all.
God Bless
God Bless your hearts. Thank you for the update. Happy Thanksgiving Croghan Family. You are truly amazing. I was one of the 1500 who attended Korrine's Celebration of Life Service. Even though I don't know any of you personally, I have prayed faithfully for you all this past year. I wasn't sure if I was going to attend the service, but felt God put it on my heart to go and I was truly blessed...touched in a way I can't really articulate. I continue to pray for you. I know Korrine is in the loving arms of Our Heavenly Father at Peace.
Blessings to you all.
Our family will be with Team KC and support all the causes..see you Dec 13th.
Continued Strength and Prayers,
Liz Ben Pam James
Bless each of you this day. You are never far from our hearts and thoughts. We wish you a fantastic day and know that your beautiful daughter is not forgotten and we are eternally grateful for Korrine, and we will continue to lift each of you up in prayer for God's wonderful grace, comfort, and healing.
Today I am thankful for family, health, friends, a warm home, God's love and Truth.
You are loved very much.
Happy Thanksgiving.
Thank you for sharing your life with us. We all miss Korrine too, although not as much as you do, I'm sure. I was wondering if Matt would be willing to share what he said at the Celebration of life. It was very touching and I know some who weren't able to go and hear. I think of your family often and pray each time i do.
God bless your family.
Dianne Duffy
Dear Dana, Matt, and Sean,
My thoughts are with you this Thanksgiving Day... as they are everyday!
Thank you for the update and also for ideas on how we can continue to honor Korrine and all of you, especially as we head into the holiday season.
hugs and much love, kathy t.
Happy Thanksgiving Croghan family!
You are in my thoughts and prayers each day, and today we celebrated Korrine with a bottle of Team KC wine. I bought some bottles awhile back and knew Thanksgiving would be a perfect time to break one open.
Thank you for letting us know how we can help other cancer patients and their families. Your heart is beautiful and Team KC will live on forever to help many others.
Love,
Sue
Dear Dana, Matt and Sean~
Thank you very much for your Thanksgiving post, it was beautiful! I read it first thing yesterday morning and it brought to mind all the things I am thankful for.
I remembered that yesterday was exactly one month since Korrine's arrival into Heaven and I spent some quiet time talking to her. :)
It was nice... my heart was sad, yet rejoicing at the same time.
I plan on buying the wonderful wine that Mitchell Katz has so generously bottled; and I'm very excited to send gift cards for the children at Kaiser! What a wonderful idea!
I look forward to hearing more as to ways I can help out, in honor and memory of Korrine.
The amount of love you have for Korrine has always been very evident, and I know in my heart that she loves you all just as much, and is very proud of your efforts in helping to take care of other children in need. The amount of selflessness you have is truly inspiring!
You are a beautiful family and I'm thankful to have come to know you.
With love and hugs~
Cindy Brian
P.S. I can't wait to see the video and/or pictures of Korrine's Celebration of Life!
Than you for the wonderful Thanksgiving message. I just want you to know that I pray every single day for you. Korrine's celebratin of life was incredible, and so touching. I doubt their was a dry eye there. The pastor's comments, especially about how happy Korrine is now, and how in heaven's eyes, it will be seconds until she is with you again, were very real, and really touched me. Korrine is so very special. Thank God for your faith. But us being only human, I can only imagine how intense the grief is. God bless you.
Yolanda
Hooray! An update! It's so good to hear from you! I'll share the wine info with my Tri Valley friends.
I can't believe it's already been a month. I imagine it feels like a lifetime.
I am thankful that I got to know you and Korrine this past year.
Love, Lorri
Oh Korinne, we miss you so.
I hope you all had a peaceful Thanksgiving and although this is such a difficult time for you, I know that you still have a lot to be grateful for. I can't get Korinne off my mind; she lives on in my heart, and even though we've never met, she gives me strength to get through my own hard times. I love you Korinne. I love you Chroghan family. I will never, never forget you.
Thank you for taking a moment to post an update... it is so nice to read your words again.
Love,
Lauren Carman
Croghan Family,
You have all been in my thoughts everyday since the Team KC blog began! Not a day goes by that I have not thought of you, Korrine, and prayed that you all find peace. Your faith in god is AMAZING! You all inspire so many. I couldn't imagine the pain you are going through. Please take comfort in knowing that so many are praying and thinking of you.
In times of sorrow knowing what to say or what to do to help is always difficult. It is so nice to be able to help other children with cancer in Korrine's honor.
Take care all of you...and know your angel is with you always!!
Hi Dana, Matt & Sean,
I think about you all so much and pray God's peace that surpasses all understanding will surround you and comfort you.
Thanks for all the opportunities to remember Korrine. I bought a couple of bottles of Team KC wine and found out that you can have them shipped to you, even to many of the western states. Here's the link: http://www.mitchellkatzwinery.com
I also plan to buy some gift cards for the Kaiser Oncolgy patients. It's a great way to share the love of Christ in a practical way and to also remember Korrine.
Thank you again for sharing your family with our community, and especially your beautiful daughter, Korrine. She taught us all so much about loving and praying.
You are loved, Croghans!
Dear Croghans,
What a beautiful family you are!!! Now wonder Korrine was soooooooo amazing!!! As I sit back, take a breath, and think, I think of all the things I have to be thankful for and the list is endless. No matter how big or small things are I am thankful for them all!!! I think of all of you daily and I hope your hearts are warmed by all the beautiful memories you have of Korrine everyday.
With Love,
Wendy & the Fam
Well, isn't that just like you, instead of wallowing in your pain, you're still thinking of how you can help others. I think of Korrine everyday, as I know you do.Beautiful baby girl, she gave so much in her short life, she's taught all of us to be better people and think outside ourselves. I will try to continue to live by her example and do good.
Love you,
Kristi
i have continually prayed as lead this last month for your family,God is holding you all close. Thank you again for sharing your journey with us. Our lives will be changed for the better for all Korrine is! love and blessings this holiday season.
the kellman family
Dear Croghan Family,
I check your website everyday for updates. I never met Korrine and didn't go to the Celebration of Life bec. I just had a baby and had to stay home to nurse her but my thought were with you all on that day. Korrine is a blessing and so is your family and Team K.C. Hope to see the video and hear the messages soon. God Bless you and your family.
Hi Dana, Matt and Sean,
Thank you for the beautiful celebration of Korrine's life. I was touched beyond words, as was everyone in attendence. The message was strong, clear and wonderful. The picture of Korrine on your latest entry is one of my favorites. She looks rested, happy, and beautiful.
Thank you for the suggestions on how we can help other families battling cancer this holiday season. The girls and I will be selecting some gift cards to send to Kaiser this week.
God Bless,
Ann Franklin
Thank you for the legacy of hope that you give to the rest of us...
Dear Croghan Family,
I was one of Korrine's platelet donors. I am honored that a part of me has been in her beautiful soul. There is not a day that goes by that I don't think about you and Korrine. Because of you, I will be one of the people who donates to children with cancer in honor of Korrine. You are making an amazing change in this world. You have so much to be proud of.
With Love,
Jen B.
Dear Matt, Dana & Sean,
I wanted to share with you that on October 27, 2008 at 10:51 am Alexandra Joy Fedorov was born to Anna Alway-Fedorov & Pasha Fedorov. She weighed 5 lbs 4 1/2 oz. Alexandra (Sasha) is the precious baby sister of Emma and granddaughter to Ceil Alway. Two new lives happened within an hour of each other that day. Korrine's in Heaven and Sasha's here on this earth.
Yes, we have much to be thankful for. I am so thankful that we are blessed to have the privilege of continuing Korrine's journey with you.
As always!
Blessings, hugs and prayers to you!
Jack, Arla & Mary
Dear Croghans,
Thank you for sharing the updates with us....not many days go by that I don't think of you and pray for you...As you mentioned, Korrine IS with you and ALWAYS WILL BE. God bless you all in this season and beyond.
Dearest Croghans
You all never cease to amaze me and I am sure all of team KC. I pray everyday you find one thing that may bring you a few minutes of comfort to get thru another day, and yet you still have time to want to reach out to others. It is ever so apparent that Korrines legacy is just beginning. She will live in all of us forever, in one way or another. May you find peace and comfort this holiday season. Gift cards are on their way to Kaiser today and I will absolutely fund a bear! You bet!!!
I continue to be in awe of the Croghan family. What beautiful and inspirational people. God Bless. Korrine is always in my thoughts.
I Thank You for all you have done and continue to do in honor of Korrine.
Teddy Bear has been ordered.
From a complete stranger with a lot of love for the Croghans
Matt: I am Karen Nisley Najarian. I was on the Flying Fins and Hayward Swim Club with your dad as coach. I remember you in a baby carriage poolside at swim meets. I saw Korrine's middle and last name in the obits and knew she must be your daughter. I am so sorry for your loss. My deepest heartfelt condolences. Her spirit shines thru in her pictures.
Love, K
sierramaclure@sbcglobal.net
Dear Croghans,
I know where she got it!! You are so inspirational. I feel so blessed to know you, Dana. I remember a time when you came back from a retreat and told me that you used something that I said as an example. I remember thinking, "Wow, I must have been having a really good day."
You are always finding the good in people and showing others the way. I am soooo happy that you are showing us (and making it so easy) to help Korrine give to others. It is so important to me to help keep her memory and her will touching other people. Thank you for letting us be a part of that.
Thinking of you,
Wendy Campbell
Have done the bear donation, am purchasing gift cards today, and want to know if you need anything for the Wii system package. Let the members of Team KC know what you need for it, and you will get it.
Thank you for your dedication to helping children in Korrine's name. I can think of nothing better to honor her by helping others, and I admire you for doing it. You are all so wonderful and I feel blessed to know you.
My husband and I are praying for the three of you, EVERY day. Lovingly-
Hi Croghans!
Thinking of you today and wanted to pop in and send my love. I can only imagine the smiles on the kids faces at Kaiser this Christmas with all the bears that have been sent with love from Team KC. You have inspired us all to be the best we can be. Thank you.
Love,
Sue
Hey Croghans,
Just checking in to say hello! I'm thinking of you and hoping that you are getting good rest and enjoying family and friends.
I am sure that Thanksgiving, as well as all of the upcoming holidays will have some very tough moments... where you will ache, missing Korrine so very much. I do believe she is right there by your sides, always watching over all of you. Encouraging you to try to return to your lives as they were before this journey began, nearly a year ago.
It will never return to the way it was but it can and will be good. Sharing the message of other pediatric patients, reminding us of blood drives and ways to help others. Sometimes we just get too wrapped up in our own routines... and we need to be reminded, to focus on what is truly important.
I am proud to be a part of TEAM KC and can only hope that by trying to LIVESTRONG... I am honoring Korrine and all of you, in the way that you deserve to be honored!
hugs and love, kathy t.
I was thinking of you today and I am glad I did. To hear that the love and support of Korrine can go on with all the contributions Team KC can do. I love stuffed animals also and I am so excited to donate a bear that can bring a smile to someone's face. It is awesome. God Bless Matt, Dana and Sean!!!
Liz Xavier
Croghan Family-
Ive been thinking about you lately. Korrine is one of the things i am most thankful for, and to have been a part of her very special life. You are in my thoughts and prayers during this Holiday season.
Love and Prayer,
Audrey Walke
Dear Dana, Matt and Sean,
Not a day goes by that I don't think of Korrine and all of you. It has been wonderful to see Matt at Canyon this week. I know that Korrine is watching over all of YOU as you start to return to some of the usual daily routines.
"Usual daily routines" sounds pretty simple... but I really think they are "God's chores" that help keep us going.
They are school, work, family and friends. They are the four seasons and the holidays. Things that let us forget our pain for even just a moment.
Sometimes we start to feel guilty when we start aren't constantly in pain... but that is not what God has planned. If we are here... he wants us to live life to the fullest, as Korrine did!
Always remember how much you are loved!
hugs and love, kathy t.
Post a Comment