Round 4 of Chemotherapy including Bleomycin, Cisplatin and VP-16 is finished. Korrine is resting as she is very tired as white and red blood cell counts are low. Dana is giving GCSF shots every night to increase her white blood cell count. Dana will continue to draw her blood twice a week for CBC, CHEM, and Tumor Markers.
Korrine will be undergoing several test in the upcoming weeks such as CT Scan, an audiogram, a GFR (Kidney test), and pulmonary function test as well as meeting with the pediatric oncology team to discuss how the first 4 rounds of chemotherapy have worked to fight her cancer.
Korrine had a tough diagnosis/prognosis. Let's continue to pray for Korrine's complete healing. God is answering prayers. He is greater than any diagnosis/prognosis.
My prayer is that all of Team KC will recognize that you all have taken part in Korrine's healing. Your positive support and endless prayers around the world have been heard and we thank all of you for helping to save our daughters life.
"Let no one ever come to you without leaving better and happier. Be the living expression of God's kindness; kindness in your face, kindness in your eyes, kindness in your smile, kindness in your warm greeting."
Mother Teresa
Mother Teresa
Smile
Cancer stripped her of everything including her life but it could not steal away God's LOVE, PEACE and the JOY that radiated through her. Korrine never stopped SMILING!
Korrine Lannie Croghan
Korrine Croghan was a vivacious 14-year-old girl who lived all of her life in Livermore, CA. She had a love for animals, sports, and most of all, family. Korrine was a straight “A” student while attending Mendenhall Middle School and was working hard in her first trimester at Granada High. She was a great friend to many and was everything that a brother, mother and father could ask for in a daughter. Korrine was the type of girl who would greet you with a wide smile and look into your eyes and truly would want to know how you were doing
Korrine & Cancer
On December 20th, 2007, Korrine was diagnosed with Choriocarcinoma with a germ cell element. Choriocarcinoma is a very rare type of cancer in teenage girls and inflicts less than 200 nationwide each year. Although the cancer started in her left ovary, the cancer had spread to her right ovary, lungs and liver. After the removal of a cantaloupe sized tumor in her left ovary on December 21st of 2007, Korrine, endured 10 months of intense chemotherapy designed for adult men.
During the course of her treatment, Korrine suffered many complications. In early April of 2007, her liver began to bleed. After staying at Kaiser Oakland for almost two weeks, Korrine was transfered to UCSF and spent a month in the intensive care unit. The doctors at UCSF Medical Center were finally able to stop her bleeding liver, but, not before it filled her abdomen with 5 liters of blood that had to be drained via a tube inserted into her stomach. On top of that, both of Korrines’ lungs collapsed while undergoing a CT scan that almost took her life. Because of that, 2 liters of fluid needed to be drained off of her lungs with the use of another drainage tube. Throughout her treatment Korrine needed numerous blood and platelet transfusions. She had nosebleeds that lasted an hour on several occasions. At one point, she had 18 intravenous tubes running through her body filled with anti-bacterials, anti-fungals, nutrition, painkillers and chemotherapy. Korrine miraculously made it through those tough days at UCSF and returned to Kaiser Hospital in Oakland. She was finally stable and was released to go home in late June. Just as things were starting to look up for her, she suffered septic shock in July that forced her to go back into intensive care at Kaiser in Santa Clara for 2 weeks.
Korrine returned home in late July and went through imaging scans to see if the cancer had disappeared. The scans always came back good, but not great. In an effort to kill and stop the remaining cancer cells, she underwent an emergency round of chemotherapy in early September. Unfortunately, it did kill the remaining cancer and her doctors had run out of options.
Korrine spent her last days at home with her family reading books and loving on her cats and dog. She passed away quietly, at home, on October 27th, 2008. Through it all, Korrine had a positive attitude and never gave up or complained. Many consider Korrine a hero.
Team KC
The Team KC website was originally started as a way to encourage, educate, raise awareness, and keep friends and family informed with accurate information on Korrine's treatment and progress. Family, classmates, friends, community members, and complete strangers rallied to support Korrine and her family through her fight against Choriocarcinoma. We were amazed by the amount of support we received, and it is now our desire to give back. In March, 2009, Team KC became an official nonprofit by joining forces with Kaiser Foundation Hospital. All monies raised by Team KC will directly benefit pediatric cancer patients and their families. All monetary contributions are tax deductible.
Our Mission: To help improve the quality of life of pediatric cancer patients and their families. We wish to supply children with fun activities, toys and anything else that will brighten and better their lives. Monies will also be used to help parents pay for bills and defray the costs of gas, food and lodging that go along with caring for a child with cancer.
Stay Positive, LIVESTRONG & Welcome to Team KC!
*This is the official Team KC website and the only website approved by the Croghan family. Please do not use content, images, or video from this site without permission. This is an effort to respect the family's privacy and ensure that all content is accurate and approved. Thank you for your cooperation.
Korrine Croghan was a vivacious 14-year-old girl who lived all of her life in Livermore, CA. She had a love for animals, sports, and most of all, family. Korrine was a straight “A” student while attending Mendenhall Middle School and was working hard in her first trimester at Granada High. She was a great friend to many and was everything that a brother, mother and father could ask for in a daughter. Korrine was the type of girl who would greet you with a wide smile and look into your eyes and truly would want to know how you were doing
Korrine & Cancer
On December 20th, 2007, Korrine was diagnosed with Choriocarcinoma with a germ cell element. Choriocarcinoma is a very rare type of cancer in teenage girls and inflicts less than 200 nationwide each year. Although the cancer started in her left ovary, the cancer had spread to her right ovary, lungs and liver. After the removal of a cantaloupe sized tumor in her left ovary on December 21st of 2007, Korrine, endured 10 months of intense chemotherapy designed for adult men.
During the course of her treatment, Korrine suffered many complications. In early April of 2007, her liver began to bleed. After staying at Kaiser Oakland for almost two weeks, Korrine was transfered to UCSF and spent a month in the intensive care unit. The doctors at UCSF Medical Center were finally able to stop her bleeding liver, but, not before it filled her abdomen with 5 liters of blood that had to be drained via a tube inserted into her stomach. On top of that, both of Korrines’ lungs collapsed while undergoing a CT scan that almost took her life. Because of that, 2 liters of fluid needed to be drained off of her lungs with the use of another drainage tube. Throughout her treatment Korrine needed numerous blood and platelet transfusions. She had nosebleeds that lasted an hour on several occasions. At one point, she had 18 intravenous tubes running through her body filled with anti-bacterials, anti-fungals, nutrition, painkillers and chemotherapy. Korrine miraculously made it through those tough days at UCSF and returned to Kaiser Hospital in Oakland. She was finally stable and was released to go home in late June. Just as things were starting to look up for her, she suffered septic shock in July that forced her to go back into intensive care at Kaiser in Santa Clara for 2 weeks.
Korrine returned home in late July and went through imaging scans to see if the cancer had disappeared. The scans always came back good, but not great. In an effort to kill and stop the remaining cancer cells, she underwent an emergency round of chemotherapy in early September. Unfortunately, it did kill the remaining cancer and her doctors had run out of options.
Korrine spent her last days at home with her family reading books and loving on her cats and dog. She passed away quietly, at home, on October 27th, 2008. Through it all, Korrine had a positive attitude and never gave up or complained. Many consider Korrine a hero.
Team KC
The Team KC website was originally started as a way to encourage, educate, raise awareness, and keep friends and family informed with accurate information on Korrine's treatment and progress. Family, classmates, friends, community members, and complete strangers rallied to support Korrine and her family through her fight against Choriocarcinoma. We were amazed by the amount of support we received, and it is now our desire to give back. In March, 2009, Team KC became an official nonprofit by joining forces with Kaiser Foundation Hospital. All monies raised by Team KC will directly benefit pediatric cancer patients and their families. All monetary contributions are tax deductible.
Our Mission: To help improve the quality of life of pediatric cancer patients and their families. We wish to supply children with fun activities, toys and anything else that will brighten and better their lives. Monies will also be used to help parents pay for bills and defray the costs of gas, food and lodging that go along with caring for a child with cancer.
Stay Positive, LIVESTRONG & Welcome to Team KC!
*This is the official Team KC website and the only website approved by the Croghan family. Please do not use content, images, or video from this site without permission. This is an effort to respect the family's privacy and ensure that all content is accurate and approved. Thank you for your cooperation.
A Note From Korrine (written after her 4th round of Chemo)...
Hello everyone! It's me, Korrine. I just wanted to take a
moment to thank each and every one of you for supporting me through emails,
visits, food, gifts, and most importantly, prayer. Without it, I probably
wouldn't have made it this far. Anyways, on a happier note, I am happy to
announce that I am feeling very good. This last round of chemo hit me pretty
hard, but I think that it is more exiting to end things with a big BANG! I will
try to start writing things for the blog now that my chemo therapy is over, but
until then, just know that I love every single one of you and I am always
thinking about my family, friends, and even the people who I've never met
before. Thanks for joining my battle and for making this experience "The
Experience of a Lifetime." LIVESTRONG! And stay positive.
Korrine Lannie Croghan
Hello everyone! It's me, Korrine. I just wanted to take a
moment to thank each and every one of you for supporting me through emails,
visits, food, gifts, and most importantly, prayer. Without it, I probably
wouldn't have made it this far. Anyways, on a happier note, I am happy to
announce that I am feeling very good. This last round of chemo hit me pretty
hard, but I think that it is more exiting to end things with a big BANG! I will
try to start writing things for the blog now that my chemo therapy is over, but
until then, just know that I love every single one of you and I am always
thinking about my family, friends, and even the people who I've never met
before. Thanks for joining my battle and for making this experience "The
Experience of a Lifetime." LIVESTRONG! And stay positive.
Korrine Lannie Croghan
Monday, March 10, 2008
Round 4 Update
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
24 comments:
HI korrine,
We read the update and will for sure do what Mom has asked all of us to do. Many more than you can imagine ,of love and prayers are going to you and your family.YOUR strong faith Korrine, will keep you with a positive outlook. Keep strong sweetie. we love you..
Love from,
Ian and Debby
I won't give up, If you don't give up. Korrine, Keep fighting and we look forward to celebrating a complete recovery. We will pray for you and your wonderful family every day.
Korrine -
I'm so happy you have another chemo finished and you are that much closer to being DONE! What great photos you have of round four! Guess what? My eyelashes are starting to grow back - I'm very excited! With love, Lorri
Hi Korrine,
My husband and I were checking in today and loved seeing your pictures and knowing you are done with round four. We are praying for you and believe that God has you in the palm of His hand. Don't forget, don't worry, He is big, and He has mom, dad and your brother there too. WE love you and will continue to pray without ceasing.
Love us Esmeyers
Rosalyn & James :)
Hey Korrine,
I am so happy that you are done with another round of chemo. School has been fun and we just voted for 8th favorites, fun fun.lol. I have a mound of homework for being out of school last week bacause I got a cold, I am all good know though. Tons of science...we are learning about the galaxy at the moment it is pretty interesting. You are amazing.
love, Anja
HI Korrine!
I am so happy to hear that you are done with your 4th round of chemo. Another step closer to a full recovery! You are the strongest person I know! Keep fighting! My prayers are with you. I hope you are enjoying the cards coming from school :)
Love,
Emma
Hello Sweet Girl,
You continue to be in our thoughts and prayers every day. You are STRONG! I run into so many people wearing Team KC T-shirts or with their LIVESTRONG bracelets all in support of you. You have brought our community together. We pray your first 4 rounds of chemo have fought off the cancer. Can't wait to join you in the Relay for Life.
Love, Janet (Kyle & Chad) xxooxx
Hey CutiePie!
WHOOHOO! Round 4 is behind you, congratulations! Now rest up and take good care of yourself for awhile. I loved seeing the pictures of you -- you really look awesome!
Continued thoughts and prayers and just a whole bunch of love to you!
Love,
Sue Bakalar
You truly are an inspiration to all of us who check in on you, via your blog, every single day. You are a blessing to us all...even if we have never met. Let that spirit guide you, as it has been doing an awesome job so far. When you get sad and lonely and tired, let us lift you up to feel strength again. As you are giving us strength every single day.
Live STRONG!!!!!!
Dear Korrine,
Soooo glad you're done with round 4. Hang in there!
Thinking of you,
The McNairs
You don't know me, but you and your family have been in my prayers. A fellow "Mom's Message Board" member asked our group to pray for you and I have been checking in regularly. I have two daughters, one of whom is an almost 13 year old 7th grader. My heart breaks for you and your family, yet I am so encouraged and inspired by your strength, faith and courage. You're going to beat this - I can feel it! Please know you are in our hearts and minds daily, and we're pulling for you!
I just want to thank everyone for all your comments left on the blog and for all the private e-mails that have been sent to our family. They have all been noticed and appreciated deeply.
As I was filling out Korrine's paperwork for High School I couldn't help but to cry. The past few months have been amazing in so many ways. I can't even remember what life was like before December 20th. I know it was good but somehow life now is great. Not as the world would think great should be. Life is richer, deeper and has so much more meaning.
Korrine is a straight A student (4.0) Principals Honor Roll Student, Athletic and Beautiful. She is kind and genuine. Now she will be a survivor.
I cried for her yesterday as she will be going into high school having been a little broken, hair just growing back in, gaining strength physically and then I remembered all of you who have been supporting her. She will not be going into High School alone. She has all of you supporting her all the way. The bottom line is I'm most thankful my daughter WILL be going into high school. I'm most thankful she has been broken and can be fixed. I'm most thankful for everything as I reflect back on the past few months. I'm thankful for all of you.
Life is precious and kindness matters and life goes by too fast! Let's all make the most of it and continue to help one another even with one small little prayer.
Dana Croghan
My heart aches for all the children we have met and are meeting that are fighting cancer. It is not just Korrine but Karmen the little girl that is with Korrine in the pictures and Jimmy and Helen. I want them all to be healed. It is painful to see families going through this. This blog is not jut about Korrine it is raising awarness.
When I walk for relay for life this June it is for you Karmen and Jimmy. It is for Korrine it is for so many.
I want to do so much to help all of them. It begins with a prayer.
Thinking of you Jimmy and Karmen, crying tears for you this morning because you are amazing.
Love You All,
Dana Croghan
Hi Korrine,
We are thinking of you today with love and prayers for a quick and complete recovery & a bright future full of HOPE :) Enjoy and believe these "thought for the Day" Author Unknown.
Much love,
Uncle Mark & Auntie Denise
Thoughts for the Day:
If God had a refrigerator, your picture would be on it.
If He had a wallet, your photo would be in it.
He sends you a beautiful & colorful array of flowers every spring.
He sends you a sunrise every morning Face it, Korrine - He is crazy about you!
God didn't promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain, but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.
If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.
Hi Dana,
I read your comments and just felt compelled to write, with my heart desiring to encourage you.
God chose Mary. She was 13 and her faith was so great, He knew she was THE one to born the baby Messiah. She endured. She endured much. She was forever changed. She was never the same. Korrine will never be the same. She's enduring. She's enduring more than most adults do in a lifetime. She is richer than she was Dec 20. She hasn't lost her innocence or naiveté of the world, she's gained character, strength, endurance, perseverance, relationships, influence, faith, trust, family, territory! God is using her and all of you. What an amazing family you are. I love you and will pray without ceasing.
Hi Croghans!
It is so true that God is greater than any prognosis/diagnosis! Below is a small excerpt from Lance Armstrong's first book where he talks about his prognosis. "What are my chances? It was a question I would repeat over and over. But it was irrelevant, wasn't it? It didn't matter, because the medical odds don't take into account the unfathomable. There is no proper way to estimate somebody's chances, and we shouldn't try, because we can never be entirely right, and it deprives people of hope. Hope that is the only antidote to fear." In addition to YOU having hope, you also have this whole community, your wonderful family, and most of all you have God on your side fighting this battle right along with you! Keep fighting and winning this battle!
Love,
Betsy
Loved loved loved the photos...Korrine...you're....ALWAYS smiling, I can see it when you are sleeping too.
I am praying for you and I praise God that Round 4 is FINISHED!!!
I will continue to pray for you and all the tests you will be facing LiveSTRONG!!!
Mom & Dad, brother too...I am also praying for all of you!
Hi Korrine,
I don't know if you remember me, but I go to school with you. I would like to say that you are a very brave girl, and myself and my family are praying for you to get well and stay strong. Our thoughts are with you always.
With love and hope,
Ricky Velazquez
hey korrine,
its korrina botelho. i am soooo sooo happy that you are doing better. you are the strongest person i have ever met. I hope you like the ducky that i gave your dad to give to you. i got the same one. lol. but stay strong korrine its almost over you can do it!
love always
korrina botelho
Hey Korrine!
What a wonderful surprise, to check in here and find a note from you. I'm glad you're doing well, even though you're worn out. Girl, your fighting spirit constantly amazes me. You are a true inspiration!!
Take good care of yourself and keep smiling! :) I'll be thinking of you and wearing my Team KC shirt with pride. You rock, CutiePie!!
Love ya!
Sue Bakalar
Hi Korrine,
I am an old high school friend of your Dad's and I have been keeping up with you and how you are doing. I wanted to let you know that there is not a day that goes by, that you and your family are not in my thoughts and prayers. You and your family have been fighting this battle with such grace, strength and courage that I can't help but be touched. I pray that you and your family continue the good fight and keep on smiling. God is with you as he was with my friend who is currently undergoing her 3rd of chemo and radiation and will have two more, but the tests came back yesterday cancer free! I know that soon I will be reading that about you on your blog.
Be well and get your rest and I will keep checking in on you and your family....you are an inspiration!
Live Strong
The Clelands in Metamora, MI continue to pray for Korrine and family each and every day! We check the site often and continue to livestrong in positive thoughts.
Hi Korrine,I hope you are feeling better now that you've been home a few days. It is really inspiring to read the messages that people send and realize how much you have touched their (our) lives. We hopefully slow down a bit and enjoy the beauty of the day.
I remember working at Canyon 10 years ago as a substitute and one of my bosses brought me some roses from his garden. Flowers always made me sneeze so I really didn't get too excited about them. He gave me a little vase and contined to bring flowers throughout the year.
This man didn't really connect with the teachers and having to discipline the students... he sure wasn't popular there either. He was strict, tough, and played by the rules... and not a really warm, fuzzy person.
But I learned from this man, to stop and smell those roses. To stop and look at the sky and the clouds and how beautiful they are. YOU, my dear, teach us that too. Every moment is to be cherished. YOU inspire us to be the best we can be and to LIVESTRONG!
hugs and love, kathy
Hey Korrine,
Im happy to see that you found our flowers. :) I feel very special that you have a picture of the on the slideshow.
keep fighting, you will always be in my prayers. Love you,
--Lindsay Montano
P.S. i was looking through some pictures and i happened to find one of the jingle bell church childrens musical and you were in it! I will make sure to send it to you.
Post a Comment