It is wednesday evening the 6th of February.
We took Korrine to her Audiology appointment yesterdayand we were very happy that she did not lose anyhearing after the last round of chemo. She did sufferhearing loss after the first round of chemo but it issomething she can live with and will not be a problem.She is scheduled for a liver biopsy on Monday at 3:30we will need to take her to the lab tomorrow for aspecial blood draw for the biopsy.
Korrine is scheduled for two more rounds of chemowhere she will be in the hospsital for 5 days and thenhome for two weeks back in for 5 days and home for twoweeks and then they will do another CT Scan to see howshe has responded to her treatments. The next roundbegins on the 13th of February.
There is a lot involved in caring for our daughter. We have to draw blood from her broviac catherdar twicea week and then run it to the lab. We have to giverher shot's nightly in order to keep her white cellcount up. We have to make sure we giver her all hermedications throughout the day and make sure hertemperature never goes 101.5 because then we wouldneed to rush her to the hospital, also she gets totake antibiotics beginning on Fridays thru Sundaytwice a day. We also have to hook her up at night toTPN which provides 80% of her nutrition. We stoppedTPN on Tuesday and Korrine was very happy about that as TPN is I.V. nutrition and Korrine needed it for 12hours a night. We also have to care for her doublelumen Broviac central line in her chest, we have toflush it daily and change the dressing weekly and ifwe do any blood draws or anything else thru theBroviac we have to care for it. We also have to beprepared to leave at any minute to take her to theHospital, lab, Radiology, Audiology, Oncology Clinic,Cat Scans, Pulminary Function Tests, Kidney FunctionTests and so on.
I usually do my crying while driving in the car. So, if you see me crying just smile and wave. It is a day-to-day journey and random outbursts of tears arewelcomed.
We are so proud of Sean he is such a good boy andworks so hard. We thank all of you for supporting andencouraging Sean. Pat his baseball coach, Nita hispiano teacher, Mrs. Abbey and all his teachers,friends, family and Water Polo community. A specialthank you to Adam and Patrick for making both my kidslaugh.
The past several days have been very good for Korrine.We went out to the lemon grass Tai for lunch and thenenjoyed trying on some fun wigs in a variety of haircolors. She does not want a wig because she hasreceived so many wonderful hats that were made and orpurchased with love. Korrine also enjoyed going tothe mall and getting a few new things and then goingout to lunch to visit her Aunt Marcia and eat gelato. Korrine enjoyed watching the super bowl with herfamily and Aunt and uncle and cousins. Today Korrinemade cookies for the Water Polo team and went up tothe pool to watch them play and see her friends. Welove our friends at the pool they are like family tous.
So things are going well and we take baby steps as tonot do to much or get overwhelmed as things getoverwhelming for all of us especially Korrine veryquickly. Emotions are running high and it is the notknowing that is tough. But we know our God is ABLE.
We love and appreciate all of you so much. Thank youSlicart for your T-Shirts donations and to all of Korrine's older cousins that are putting together the poker tournament to raise cancer awareness and raise money for Team KC which directly benefits Korrine. Smith raised over $300.00 for the LanceArmstrong Foundation by purchasing LiveSTRONGbracelets to show their support for Korrine's battleshe is fighting against cancer with Grace, Dignity,and COURAGE.We plan to do the Relay for Life this summer with moredetails to follow.
The meals have been amazing. I told Korrine that weshould stop the meals as I don't want to inconvienceanyone and she said "NO" She enjoys all the yummymeals and so do we. It has been one of our greatestblessing a true gift to our family as that allows usmore time and less stress.
There is a mother of three living in Colorado who hasstage 4 Breast Cancer and she mailed Korrine a boxwith several beautiful hats and scarfs. I was sotouched by that as she is fighting her own battle withcancer and took the time to send Korrine a verythoughtful and special gift. You can encourage her byvisiting her blog site atlorriscancerupdates.blogspot.com. Thank You Lorri so much for stepping outside of yourself in your battleand giving so kindly and generously to Korrine.
Waves of emotions, Roller Coasters of Tears, fightinga battle, United and together in prayer we will win,To God be the glory.
Stay Positive and LiveSTRONG
Dana, Matt, Korrine and Sean
"Let no one ever come to you without leaving better and happier. Be the living expression of God's kindness; kindness in your face, kindness in your eyes, kindness in your smile, kindness in your warm greeting."
Mother Teresa
Mother Teresa
Smile
Cancer stripped her of everything including her life but it could not steal away God's LOVE, PEACE and the JOY that radiated through her. Korrine never stopped SMILING!
Korrine Lannie Croghan
Korrine Croghan was a vivacious 14-year-old girl who lived all of her life in Livermore, CA. She had a love for animals, sports, and most of all, family. Korrine was a straight “A” student while attending Mendenhall Middle School and was working hard in her first trimester at Granada High. She was a great friend to many and was everything that a brother, mother and father could ask for in a daughter. Korrine was the type of girl who would greet you with a wide smile and look into your eyes and truly would want to know how you were doing
Korrine & Cancer
On December 20th, 2007, Korrine was diagnosed with Choriocarcinoma with a germ cell element. Choriocarcinoma is a very rare type of cancer in teenage girls and inflicts less than 200 nationwide each year. Although the cancer started in her left ovary, the cancer had spread to her right ovary, lungs and liver. After the removal of a cantaloupe sized tumor in her left ovary on December 21st of 2007, Korrine, endured 10 months of intense chemotherapy designed for adult men.
During the course of her treatment, Korrine suffered many complications. In early April of 2007, her liver began to bleed. After staying at Kaiser Oakland for almost two weeks, Korrine was transfered to UCSF and spent a month in the intensive care unit. The doctors at UCSF Medical Center were finally able to stop her bleeding liver, but, not before it filled her abdomen with 5 liters of blood that had to be drained via a tube inserted into her stomach. On top of that, both of Korrines’ lungs collapsed while undergoing a CT scan that almost took her life. Because of that, 2 liters of fluid needed to be drained off of her lungs with the use of another drainage tube. Throughout her treatment Korrine needed numerous blood and platelet transfusions. She had nosebleeds that lasted an hour on several occasions. At one point, she had 18 intravenous tubes running through her body filled with anti-bacterials, anti-fungals, nutrition, painkillers and chemotherapy. Korrine miraculously made it through those tough days at UCSF and returned to Kaiser Hospital in Oakland. She was finally stable and was released to go home in late June. Just as things were starting to look up for her, she suffered septic shock in July that forced her to go back into intensive care at Kaiser in Santa Clara for 2 weeks.
Korrine returned home in late July and went through imaging scans to see if the cancer had disappeared. The scans always came back good, but not great. In an effort to kill and stop the remaining cancer cells, she underwent an emergency round of chemotherapy in early September. Unfortunately, it did kill the remaining cancer and her doctors had run out of options.
Korrine spent her last days at home with her family reading books and loving on her cats and dog. She passed away quietly, at home, on October 27th, 2008. Through it all, Korrine had a positive attitude and never gave up or complained. Many consider Korrine a hero.
Team KC
The Team KC website was originally started as a way to encourage, educate, raise awareness, and keep friends and family informed with accurate information on Korrine's treatment and progress. Family, classmates, friends, community members, and complete strangers rallied to support Korrine and her family through her fight against Choriocarcinoma. We were amazed by the amount of support we received, and it is now our desire to give back. In March, 2009, Team KC became an official nonprofit by joining forces with Kaiser Foundation Hospital. All monies raised by Team KC will directly benefit pediatric cancer patients and their families. All monetary contributions are tax deductible.
Our Mission: To help improve the quality of life of pediatric cancer patients and their families. We wish to supply children with fun activities, toys and anything else that will brighten and better their lives. Monies will also be used to help parents pay for bills and defray the costs of gas, food and lodging that go along with caring for a child with cancer.
Stay Positive, LIVESTRONG & Welcome to Team KC!
*This is the official Team KC website and the only website approved by the Croghan family. Please do not use content, images, or video from this site without permission. This is an effort to respect the family's privacy and ensure that all content is accurate and approved. Thank you for your cooperation.
Korrine Croghan was a vivacious 14-year-old girl who lived all of her life in Livermore, CA. She had a love for animals, sports, and most of all, family. Korrine was a straight “A” student while attending Mendenhall Middle School and was working hard in her first trimester at Granada High. She was a great friend to many and was everything that a brother, mother and father could ask for in a daughter. Korrine was the type of girl who would greet you with a wide smile and look into your eyes and truly would want to know how you were doing
Korrine & Cancer
On December 20th, 2007, Korrine was diagnosed with Choriocarcinoma with a germ cell element. Choriocarcinoma is a very rare type of cancer in teenage girls and inflicts less than 200 nationwide each year. Although the cancer started in her left ovary, the cancer had spread to her right ovary, lungs and liver. After the removal of a cantaloupe sized tumor in her left ovary on December 21st of 2007, Korrine, endured 10 months of intense chemotherapy designed for adult men.
During the course of her treatment, Korrine suffered many complications. In early April of 2007, her liver began to bleed. After staying at Kaiser Oakland for almost two weeks, Korrine was transfered to UCSF and spent a month in the intensive care unit. The doctors at UCSF Medical Center were finally able to stop her bleeding liver, but, not before it filled her abdomen with 5 liters of blood that had to be drained via a tube inserted into her stomach. On top of that, both of Korrines’ lungs collapsed while undergoing a CT scan that almost took her life. Because of that, 2 liters of fluid needed to be drained off of her lungs with the use of another drainage tube. Throughout her treatment Korrine needed numerous blood and platelet transfusions. She had nosebleeds that lasted an hour on several occasions. At one point, she had 18 intravenous tubes running through her body filled with anti-bacterials, anti-fungals, nutrition, painkillers and chemotherapy. Korrine miraculously made it through those tough days at UCSF and returned to Kaiser Hospital in Oakland. She was finally stable and was released to go home in late June. Just as things were starting to look up for her, she suffered septic shock in July that forced her to go back into intensive care at Kaiser in Santa Clara for 2 weeks.
Korrine returned home in late July and went through imaging scans to see if the cancer had disappeared. The scans always came back good, but not great. In an effort to kill and stop the remaining cancer cells, she underwent an emergency round of chemotherapy in early September. Unfortunately, it did kill the remaining cancer and her doctors had run out of options.
Korrine spent her last days at home with her family reading books and loving on her cats and dog. She passed away quietly, at home, on October 27th, 2008. Through it all, Korrine had a positive attitude and never gave up or complained. Many consider Korrine a hero.
Team KC
The Team KC website was originally started as a way to encourage, educate, raise awareness, and keep friends and family informed with accurate information on Korrine's treatment and progress. Family, classmates, friends, community members, and complete strangers rallied to support Korrine and her family through her fight against Choriocarcinoma. We were amazed by the amount of support we received, and it is now our desire to give back. In March, 2009, Team KC became an official nonprofit by joining forces with Kaiser Foundation Hospital. All monies raised by Team KC will directly benefit pediatric cancer patients and their families. All monetary contributions are tax deductible.
Our Mission: To help improve the quality of life of pediatric cancer patients and their families. We wish to supply children with fun activities, toys and anything else that will brighten and better their lives. Monies will also be used to help parents pay for bills and defray the costs of gas, food and lodging that go along with caring for a child with cancer.
Stay Positive, LIVESTRONG & Welcome to Team KC!
*This is the official Team KC website and the only website approved by the Croghan family. Please do not use content, images, or video from this site without permission. This is an effort to respect the family's privacy and ensure that all content is accurate and approved. Thank you for your cooperation.
A Note From Korrine (written after her 4th round of Chemo)...
Hello everyone! It's me, Korrine. I just wanted to take a
moment to thank each and every one of you for supporting me through emails,
visits, food, gifts, and most importantly, prayer. Without it, I probably
wouldn't have made it this far. Anyways, on a happier note, I am happy to
announce that I am feeling very good. This last round of chemo hit me pretty
hard, but I think that it is more exiting to end things with a big BANG! I will
try to start writing things for the blog now that my chemo therapy is over, but
until then, just know that I love every single one of you and I am always
thinking about my family, friends, and even the people who I've never met
before. Thanks for joining my battle and for making this experience "The
Experience of a Lifetime." LIVESTRONG! And stay positive.
Korrine Lannie Croghan
Hello everyone! It's me, Korrine. I just wanted to take a
moment to thank each and every one of you for supporting me through emails,
visits, food, gifts, and most importantly, prayer. Without it, I probably
wouldn't have made it this far. Anyways, on a happier note, I am happy to
announce that I am feeling very good. This last round of chemo hit me pretty
hard, but I think that it is more exiting to end things with a big BANG! I will
try to start writing things for the blog now that my chemo therapy is over, but
until then, just know that I love every single one of you and I am always
thinking about my family, friends, and even the people who I've never met
before. Thanks for joining my battle and for making this experience "The
Experience of a Lifetime." LIVESTRONG! And stay positive.
Korrine Lannie Croghan
Wednesday, February 6, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
19 comments:
The Croghan family is amazing. You are only human dealing with a very serious illness. We think you are all doing great an we respect your honesty regarding all the different emotions that are involved in this family crisis. We are united in prayer and support of your family and I know Korrine and Sean and they are the nicest most polite children I have ever met. The two of you have done a great job raising your children. God is glorified through your family crisis and we will continue to pray for all of you through this battle.
LiveSTRONG Croghan Family,
T. Mendenhall
Hey,
I am so happy that you are doing better. You are amazing and so is your family. I am breathless by you korrine, you are so strong. I prsy that all your cancer is washed away. All my Love,
Anja
Dear Croghan family,
You are truly inspirational. What you deal with on a daily basis is something that no one should go through, yet you do it with the love and grace that anyone who knows you would expect. The fact that Korrine and Sean are the incredible people they are is a testiment to you and how you have raised them. Know that your tears are shared, as is the faith that this cancer will be washed away. Continued prayers and much love (and BIG hugs when you need them).
LiveSTRONG~
Sue Bakalar
Where can we sign up to drop-off meals? Is someone keeping a schedule? I am in Livermore and happy to cook as many times as needed. Please email me at danajim@sonic.net or post a comment with the meal schedule info if you'd like the help. We are praying for you Korrine! - Danaly Payne from Cornerstone Fellowship
Hi Korrine (and Croghan family),
This is Emily Boyd. I'm am an old friend of Tristen's. I know we don't know each other, but you are always in my thoughts and prayers, as Tristen has kept me posted on your progress. I work at Kaiser Oakland in Oncology as a nurse on 6th floor. I just wanted to let you know I'm always available if questions or concerns come up...or if during one of your stays, you're stuck with an annoying nurse, I'm happy to come upstairs and put her or him in place! :) If there is ANYTHING I can do to help out while you're at Kaiser, just say the word. I'm just a few floors away. Email me at emilychristine4@hotmail.com or my extension at work is x26228. Hugs and Blessings, Emily.
Hi Dana,
Thank you for this heart felt note! You & Matt are doing a awesome job taking care of Korrine. Your love for her shines brightly in her smile & eyes. She can trust God because you trust God! I didn't realize all of the things that are involved with her care. Thank you for letting us know. Our prayers will be more focused now :) Your realness and faith are a great encouragement to me! Take it one day at a time!
Much love,
Denise
Hey Korrine,
Uh I think you know Mrs. Krogghan?? Because I am in her class in creekside middle school please when you get your paper where everyone from creekside has signed look for the name Zankhna Kapadia and Liliya Z because we have gave you a lot of donations I put like 50 dollars in and I hope you appreciate it
XOXO
Zankhna
Dana, Matt, Korrine and Sean,
You continually open your hearts and souls and let us in... with such beautiful and honest comments. I do hope it helps you as much as it educates all of us. To say it is a roller coaster ride is probably putting it mildly.
I do wish you all... the comfort of tears, anger, frustration... the realities of dealing with a life changing event. I wish you many special moments on those days when the sun is out and you can enjoy visits to the pool and water polo team, visits with friends and family... and your own special private moments at home.
You have an amazing medical team on your side and I have faith in their ability. You truly do LIVESTRONG and inspire us all!
hugs and love, kathy t.
HI!
It was wonderful to see you yesterday at water polo. I'm sure your going nuts not being able to play with us, but you will. I am so proud to have such a strong and positve friends. Tomorrow at school it is LIVESTRONG Day in your honor. I am so happy that you are feeling better.
all my love,
emma
Well, it appears that you have one huge fan in Ryan Jones, team captain of Miami University's #1 ranked ice hockey team. That said, you now have thousands of additional fans because we all love Ryan Jones here in Oxford, Ohio and any cause he backs is one that the rest of us will back as well. Good luck in your treatment We're all behind you!
Croghan family:
Thanks so much for providing such a detailed update.It is so beautiful to see the team work you as a family are doing for Korrine. It is amazing strength shown by all of you.
We think of you everyday and I lift you up in prayer in my bible study. Love all of you so much,
trish, jeff and adam
HI Korrine,
we are all praying and expecting God to heal you and get you back to WoPo...but also to better and better things in HIS plans. You are an amazing girl. I always knew you were a really special kid...you were so spunky and crazy and wild like your Da, but there was a steadiness and unwavering strength like your mom.
Go! Go! Go!
You LIVESTRONG and we will stand in the gap for you baby.
Love, rachel, daniel, erika, kaleb, kai, zakariah, anika, and kiernan
ps: we have some cute pix of you when you were little and some of you and Erika in HI. We'll try to get those to you soon. rachel
Hi Croghi
I am so happy to hear that the second round went well. I really miss seeing you around. I'm so jealous that Steve has bumped into you twice already and I haven't. We are thinking about you all the time over here. Lots of love and prayers
Tricia
P.S. Steve says thanks for the cookie. He loved seeing his friend back at the pool.
God's promises are true and what you are going through and how it is reflected in how you are handling each day shows that you get it! You are truly believing God. Thanks, Dana, for this post that gives each of us praying for you a better insight to the DAILY cancer fight.
I know that woman in Colorado who sent your gorgeous daughter her goodie hat box-she once lived in the TriValley.
You both are not just fighting cancer as families, but you are facing it with love, strength and God. Praying for you both!
Celia
Hi Croghan Family,
Thank you so much for the update that shows us the care that must be given to Korrine to battle this disease. Your resilience through the daily challenges you are having to face is inspiring. My thoughts and prayers are turned to you constantly. May our Heavenly Father continue to bless you and keep you, I pray in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, Amen
Joy
To all the Water Polo Players everywhere,
Thank you for your support of Korrine. She admires all of you and Loves the game. Water Polo made her a stronger athlete and now all of you are keeping her strong in your support of her. We appreciate all of you.
Water Polo Players LiveSTRONG
Love,
Dana Croghan
Just a quick note,
All of your support and encouragement makes Korrine happy. Reading all your comments and private notes that are sent keeps her going. The first thing she does every morning is check her blog for messages.
The happiness and encouragement that she receives from this blog is healing to her soul and body.
Thank You,
Dana
Croghi,
I am so happy that your second round went well! When I am having a hard practice or am in a tough game, I think of you and all your strength and it really motivates and drives me. You are so inspiring! We're all praying that the third round goes just as well!
Love,
Ana Rosa
Dear Korrine and Family,
May God strengthen and bless you. We are praying for you everyday. These scriptures will uplift you:
"Keep on asking, and it will be given YOU; keep on seeking, and YOU will find; keep on knocking, and it will be opened to YOU. For everyone asking receives, and everyone seeking finds, and to everyone knocking it will be opened."... "After Jesus had come down from the mountain great crowds followed him. And,look! a leprous man came up and began doing obeisance to him, saying: "Lord, if you just want to, you can make me clean." And so, stretching out his hand, he touched him, saying: "I want to. Be made clean." And immediately his leprosy was cleansed away. Then ... When he entered into Capernaum, an army officer came to him, entreating him and saying:
"Sir, my manservant is laid up in
the house with paralysis, being
terribly tormented." He said to
him: "When I get there I will cure him." In reply the army officer said: "Sir, I am not a fit man for you to enter under my roof, but just say the word and my manservant
will be healed. For I too am a man
placed under authority, having sol-
diers under me, and I say to this
one, 'Be on your way!' and he is on
his way, and to another, 'Come!'
and he comes, and to my slave, 'Do
this!' and he does it." Hearing
that, Jesus became amazed and said
to those following him: "I tell you the truth, With no one in Is-
rael have I found so great a faith. But I tell you that many
from eastern parts and western parts will come and recline at the table with Abraham and Issac and Jacob in the kingdom of the heav-ens;...Then Jesus said to the army
officer: "Go. Just as it has been
your faith, so let it come to pass
for you." And the manservant was
healed in that hour. Matthew 7:7,8.
Matthew 8:1-11,13.
Many blessings,
Linda H. & Jonathan
Post a Comment